Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

That game looks even worse than exploding kittens, and I didn't think that was possible.

It's gonna make a billion dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That Chtulhu Xenomorph game, Deep Madness, is certainly not shy about using near identical likenesses of famous characters. Take the "Quartermaster" for example:

That seems to be a thing a lot of these minis-heavy Kickstarters love doing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Kingdom Death the game, even without the skeezy poo poo that permeates it (one of the enemies/bosses is some kind of spider that's dangling a limbless woman's torso from a skewer like some sort of anglerfish) is one of those games that confuses "lol you rolled bad so you die instantly" with "challenge.". It's packed full of randomness you have no way of mitigating in parts besides rolling better I guess.

The boss concept is interesting but also flawed in that the damage dealt is randomized and thus there isn't really some Dark Souls ish pattern for you to learn from. If you're unlucky then what can happen is you remove weaker cards from the boss' deck and then congratulations, it's now going to spam its strongest attacks over and over since you took out everything else for it to do.

It's not a good game. It maybe has the kernel of an interesting idea buried beneath the randomness and gratuitous tits and weird rapemonsters but it's not worth buying and/or playing it for.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I guess I kind of feel like "it's not meant to be skeezy, it's ~body horror~" is reaching a bit when a lot of the body horror just somehow happens to involve tits for purely coincidental reasons.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

graventy posted:

The game is fun only when you mock how player-unfriendly it is, all in the name of being "dark." It isn't that fun to play, because, as others have said, there is an awful lot of "roll a d10 and roll high to not die." It isn't grueling so much as it is over the top.

To be fair it's not like the Kingdom Death guys were the first people to look at Dark Souls and then come to the completely incorrect understanding about what makes it good. They might be the first to add gratuitous tits and dicks to it though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Please pledge to my upcoming Kickstarter "Tickling the Dragon's Tail" inspired by the classic boardgame Operation, each copy of which comes with its own 6.2 kilogram subcritical plutonium sphere, two beryllium half-spheres, and a screwdriver.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Has PayPal ever not been a massive steaming pile of poo poo? Because I can't ever remember a point when it wasn't.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Is high school really an overused RPG setting though? Like I'm pretty sure I could count the number of high school centric RPGs that even serious gamer nerds are likely to have heard of on one hand, meanwhile "fantasy RPG with elves and dwarves" is possibly in the hundreds.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

occamsnailfile posted:

It's getting overused in RPGs.

Again, is it actually? Because this complaint seems pretty overblown to me. Okay, off the top of my head there's what, Masks, Monsterhearts, Breakfast Cult, the Buffy RPG that hasn't been in print for a while, um, Teenagers from Outer Space...like for real, have I been missing some massive high school RPG Renaissance that's been going on that I was unaware of?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I forgot about Double Cross, the Japanese RPG about high schoolers who get infected with a crazy superpower-inflicting disease, which along with Nuns' reminder of Bubblegumshoe brings the overwhelming and far too overused number of high school RPGs written within recent memory to seven or so.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Kenzer Co, the Knights of the Dinner Table RPG publisher, also has under their belt an RPG called Aces and Eights which is perhaps the single most ridiculously crunchy western RPG ever created, to a degree that sometimes seems to border on parody. The reason I'm bringing it up is because among its many subsystems for many aspects of old western life it has a no-fooling trial-by-jury minigame where you can play out western courtroom dramas as your cowboy is tried for cattle rustling.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

RPG nerds might be generally better educated than the average juror in my county, but I doubt it.

Come on man, don't set yourself up for disappointment like that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Golden Bee posted:

Aloha Louis makes some good points.

No, actually he's just a lovely poster and while I've had my disagreements with Leperflesh I'd rather read a dozen essay-long effortposts of his than some driveby dickhead playing self-appointed content moderator.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Lots of minis + tits=lots of money

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MrFlibble posted:

No it doesn't. Just because your idiot rear end can't distinguish fantasy and reality doesn't mean you get to say whats acceptable and whats not. Stop making me defend poo poo like that.

Nobody's making you do anything buddy, you're the one getting defensive over people saying the game you want to pitch money to is full of skeezy poo poo. If you really couldn't care less you wouldn't be planting your flag on the hill of "loving puritan prudes looking down their noses at dismembered lady torso miniatures, god."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MrFlibble posted:

Its not just happening here. Its happening everywhere. And sure, it might be fine to call someone buying this skeezy poo poo bad. And then the poo poo you buy that people will call you bad for gets slightly less skeevy. And so on.

gently caress off with that poo poo. You buy gross miniatures, you have hosed up taste. You are not a bad person.

Right, the dangerous slippery slope of not being measured enough in one's responses to people buying mutilated women miniatures for their lovely faux-Dark Souls boardgame, totally.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
One time I was playing Imperial Assault with this guy who unprompted and out of nowhere asked me "so hey, have you heard of this game called Kingdom Death?" And I didn't rise up out of my seat and start beating him about the face and neck in righteous indignation but something in my expression is probably what caused him to immediately start rushing to head off any comments I might have made on the subject before I could even say a word, "haha no no, it's not as bad as people make it out to be, haha I swear, no really."

Personally I'm of the opinion that if something you've decided to support compels you to make excuses for it because it constantly has people giving you the side-eye then mmmmmaybe that should be a warning sign, but that's just me. Anyway that's my Kingdom Death story.

Wezlar posted:

I think the main thing he's taking issue with (or at least the thing I take issue with) is that the actual game really isn't gross and hosed up.

The punchline is that Kingdom Death: the Game And Totally Not The Weird Skeezy Minis I Swear is still pretty bad, like someone wanted to make a Dark Souls game because yeah man Dark Souls is rad except they stuck in a whole bunch of RNG bullshit that can just randomly gently caress you over with no recourse and then I guess decided to add events where you eat poop or critically hit a lion in the "ding-dong" or whatever so who even loving knows what kind of tone they're going for. So I mean it's not even like there's some gleaming golden masterpiece to be found if you're willing to look past all the dumb "body horror" aesthetic. Yeah, tastes vary, different strokes, I just don't think Kingdom Death has demonstrated itself to be a game worth going to bat for especially in a market that's not starving for excellent games to play.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MrFlibble posted:

Ok, i'll make this my last post on the subject.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MrFlibble posted:

I kind of knew what the response would be. I am also not ok with dick lions and severed lady torsos

Realtalk, your posts have been insanely terrible and lovely throughout this entire discussion to the point where you should honestly feel embarrassed, but if you're really ~looking to be convinced~ then the simple fact is that it doesn't matter whether you aren't okay with dicklions and severed lady torsos when the money you spend goes towards someone who's gonna go right ahead and take your patronage as a sign of approval re: dicklions and severed lady torsos. That is basically the argument, that if you genuinely disapprove of the skeezier elements of the whole Kingdom Death thing then you should either A). not give them money even for the game that's supposedly not as bad because it all goes in the same direction at the end of the day or B). just straight up say "hey I don't actually give a poo poo, bite me," but if your actual attitude really is "I don't give a gently caress what y'all think of how I spend my money, I do what I want" then you should have just said so and left it at that instead of writing a dozen increasingly bad posts comparing the people in this thread giving you poo poo to the persecution of minorities around the globe which is the sort of thing an rear end in a top hat does.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mugaaz posted:

Bad person chiming in again. I hate all the titty model garbage as much as anyone else. When I see people with them it honestly makes me intensely uncomfortable. If someone found one in my house I would have to kill them and then myself to hide the shame (sarcastic joke). I don't own any and never will. All that said, I think the base game and the dragon expansion they showed looked cool, so I'm going to buy it. I've played a bunch of other fantasy dungeon crawl survival types games. I really like the genre, but all of the ones I've played so far end up getting boring quick. The idea of a game combining miniature combat + city building + oregon trail + dark souls type gameplay makes me want to buy it in spite of the ultra cringe booby models. I'll throw the topless naked ladies that come with into the garbage disposal and then assemble and paint the rest. So, like I said before, I guess that makes me a bad person. That's ok though, because I was never under the illusion I wasn't.

PSA but this is literally all anyone needs to say if they even feel the urge to get dragged into a loving argument over this instead of just pledging to a thing and not feeling the need to announce it to everybody. "Hey I like part of this, I guess the rest sucks and all, but I don't care because I still want that one part, oh well." Things not to do include going on a twelve-post meltdown comparing people bagging on you for funding tittyminiatures to the actual persecution of minorities in an attempt to own busybody SJWs.

Directed specifically at you, I'll once again say that disregarding anything and everything to do with tits, torsos, and dicklions, everything I've heard anybody say about the Kingdom Death boardgame is that it does not live up to the sort of fantasy that it's trying to sell you on. The boss fight system is kind of innovative but also flawed, the game is full of random pitfalls that punish you arbitrarily, and the city building aspect just isn't all that rich or deep. Like you can buy it if you want, I've got no real skin in this beyond offering up my opinion that I've heard the game itself is largely kind of boring and occasionally frustrating and kind of a big letdown for all the buildup it received, and if you're looking for a dungeon crawling fantasy game with tactical combat and some city-building elements then for $99 you can preorder Gloomhaven which has had some fairly positive pre-release covering thus far and should be coming out early next year.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Whoa. Looks like Blades in the Dark is actually done, or really near to it. Printing is planned for 2Q 2017, too.

Took longer than planned but unlike most Kickstarters that don't hit their estimated completion date Harper's been on the ball about constantly keeping updated works in progress available for play and playtesting so I'll still give him credit for a reasonably well-run KS.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So aside from outright failed projects, that is projects where the creators aren't even pretending like it might still materialize someday, is there any tradgame Kickstarter that's more late than Far West?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Falstaff posted:

Not as far as I know. You might be thinking of the board game The Doom That Came to Atlantic City.

Yep, that's the one, but in a fit of beautiful irony The Doom That Came to Atlantic City actually did wind up coming out after Cryptozoic basically volunteered to shoulder the responsibility of producing print copies for all the backers...more elaborate pledge rewards like miniatures remain undelivered but nonetheless TDTCtAC wound up beating Far West to (relatively) completed status by a number of years, and that's after someone literally absconded with all the money and promptly squandered it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

Robotech RPG Tactices funded in 2013, and the second half of that isn't coming because Palladium spent all the remaining money publishing books that were 10 years behind schedule. Pretty sure someone is pursuing legal action now, hopefully the company is wound up by the end of 2017

I can't wait to read all about the exciting new Crisis of Treachery Two™, coming soon.*

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

A kickstarter of a second sourcebook for Spellbound Kingdoms will be up soon!

http://www.spellboundkingdoms.com/index.html

:dance:

Rad, I didn't even know there was a first sourcebook.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
On the one hand, I like that The Other Side is a minis game that can (in theory) go straight from box to table without pause. I've never cared for the hobby aspect of things, and while they're unpainted it's still a step up from "now carefully glue together these tiny, fiddly miniatures in order to play the game." Plus Malifaux's resolution system looks more interesting than rolling dice. On the other hand it's still a substantial buy-in for even a single faction starter for a game I'm not even sure if anyone around here would ever actually get into, plus the game's footprint is relatively sizeable compared to, say, X-Wing. Still, I hope it does well enough for them that they could one day look into (re)doing Malifaux sets as single-piece sculpts, especially given how finicky many of their unassembled sculpts are supposed to be.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm looking forward to Far West, a Gareth-Michael Skarka Transmedia Enterprise, releasing just moments before the impending climate-change induced ecological collapse scours humanity from the face of the earth.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

cptn_dr posted:

So, February?

It's like that one Twilight Zone episode where the guy finally has all the time in the world to read and then his glasses break. Only instead of books it's a lovely d20 game and instead of glasses being broken it's deadlines.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

I mean let's be real, it's not theme that makes a good dungeon crawl type of game, but mechanics. As much as I like L99 games, and I like them a lot, if they don't do something better than some form of "roll to hit," then it's likely going to be a slog.

Still looking forward to it though since their games are really well-designed, even if their rulebooks and templating often are not.

Doesn't pretty much every L99 game eschew dice in favor of other resolution mechanics? BattleCon, Argent, Exceed, I have no idea how Pixel Tactics plays but I'm given to assume it isn't dice-based, Millennium Blades, etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah true, I feel like 'legacy' is a poorly defined concept generally. I mean consider a branching campaign that 'unlocks' different things based on the decisions you make. Is that legacy or not? Anyway it seems really exciting, Gloomhaven has shown me that you can do totally awesome card driven combat in an dungeon crawler so I'm keen to see what these guys do.

The thing about Legacy games is that they make changes which permanently affect the game forevermore, period. Tearing up one-use components, applying stickers to things, writing on the board itself, etc. Imperial Assault, for example, has a branching campaign with variable outcomes and unlocks, but it's not a Legacy-style game because at the end of the day you can clean slate reset everything back to 0 and start over fresh, but you can't do that with Risk Legacy because you've already set the capital of the world on the board, everyone's chosen their special abilities and thrown the others in the trash, and Australia has been renamed the Republic of gently caress You Steve.

I guess the easiest way to define Legacy mechanics would be "destructive changes."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

cyberia posted:

I hope one of the stretch goals for this kickstarter is to make the art not-anime.

You should be thankful they aren't using the art from the first Exceed set which featured about 200% more unnecessary scantily clad waifish anime waifus. The new set, which this art is from, actually doesn't look like a complete dumpster fire.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

In other news, there's another fantasy heist RPG kickstarting, although it looks a bit more lighthearted than Blades in the Dark.

On the one hand, I love fantasy thievery-centric games going all the way back to Thief: the Dark Project. On the other hand I have to say that Rodney Thompson's gameography is a bit more miss than hit as far as I'm concerned...his biggest pro is that he was lead designer for the 4E version of Dark Sun which was rad, but after that it's like D&D Next, Star Wars SAGA, Lords of Waterdeep, ehhhhhhh.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gloomhaven Kickstarter Campaign Page posted:

It's a grim but lucrative business being a mercenary out on the edge of civilization. You must explore the harsh wilderness and engage in deep tactical combat, where the decisions you make have an impact not only on your own character, but also the world around you.

Gloomhaven is cooperative game of card-driven combat set in a persistent fantasy campaign which will change and grow as you play the game.

Kickstarter FAQ posted:

I have more than one game group, so I'm not happy about the permanent elements. How can I play with multiple game groups?

You can absolutely play the game with more than one game group. One of the central ideas of Gloomhaven is that you can play in the same world state with multiple groups and there is enough content and non-linear story elements to do so. You'll never need to "reset" because you'll be excited about how playing the game with some new group will continue unlocking stuff in the world you already spent so much time customizing.

But if you ABSOLUTELY HATE STICKERS, we will still make available a printable PDF on BGG with everything you'd need to reset the game. At this time there are no plans to include any accommodations in the base box, however, because it is still against the intention of the game.

So yeah, the legacy elements were pretty much intended from the beginning.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I think the thing that codifies something as a heartbreaker is that it starts from a base game and it tries to fix that game by using more of that game.

The thing that actually codifies a heartbreaker, at least as per the original definition, is twofold. It's a game made by someone too locked into thinking in terms of a single game, generally D&D, so that part is what people tend to remember the most, "heartbreakers are lovely D&D knockoffs," but the other part that's supposed to make them heartbreaking is that somewhere in there buried amidst aelyfs and duarves and 50 all new classes and a skill system that uses 3d100 resolution, is supposed to be something that's genuinely interesting, creative, and/or imaginative, something that makes you realize that the guy making the game actually has some innovative ideas peaking out here and there That's what's supposed to be the heartbreaking thing, not that some dude blew five figures on a vanity print run of an elfgame that's going to molder in his garage unsold, it's that if they could get beyond idea that RPGs all orbit around D&D that they could actually create something interesting instead of yet another race-and-class fantasy game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Got an email yesterday that Giant Killer Robots: Heavy Hitters is coming to KSer in a week or so. I am curious on the product differences then what I saw at Gen Con. Also games made by WETA.

I dearly want this to be good because I do love giant killer robots, but seeing Cryptozoic involves immediately makes me leery. Are they involved on the design end of things or simply publishing?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Man vs. Meeple has a preview of Giant Killer Robots up btw, based on a not-finalized version. It looks...okay? Like all Cryptozoic games it looks like dice are going to be a heavy component of task resolution for things like shooting and defending, though they say that there's stuff that's going to be added to the final game, namely unique pilots and in-game achievements/objectives, which might mitigate some of that? Gonna take a wait-and-see approach with this one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of giant robots, Giga-Robo sent out a big "where are we now? update. The tl;dr version is that after getting dicked on trying to find someone to handle fulfillment they're getting individual fulfillment companies by region and once they lock it down in Australia and New Zealand they'll be launching the pledge manager, they have a survey up about releasing KS exclusive minis to everyone instead of simply being exclusive as well as if people would be okay with having a pilot that was supposed to be an expansion incorporated into the main game itself at no extra cost to either backers or the MSRP of the retail version (I have no idea why anyone would object to this but I'm sure someone will), and apparently over December enough people cancelled pledges and asked for refunds due to the holiday crunch that they actually had to roll back on a stretch goal. Fortunately it was for custom card sleeves which I couldn't give less of a poo poo about, and they say that the leftover remainder of the not-quite-enough funds will be incorporated into other parts of the project. Also in order to help speed along project completion when it comes to the unique card art stretch goal they've decided to go with cel-shaded CGI models for the artwork, similar to what Arc System Works did with Guilty Gear Xrd.

Speaking of something that isn't giant robots, I just got a shipping notice for Millennium Blades: Set Rotation.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

clockworkjoe posted:

hey guys did you know there are badly run kickstarters other than Far West

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm/posts/1811029

to be honest, I think this is a new record - using a different KS to screw up another KS that hasn't even been launched yet.

I'm not quite sure what to feel about all this besides, obviously, that I'm glad someone didn't manage to kill themselves and that I hope they get the help they need, but I strongly suspect that using someone's attempted suicide to browbeat unsatisfied Kickstarter backers by going "look what you did, this is your fault" is an insanely lovely and tasteless thing to do, like even beyond most normal standards for elfgame-related lovely tastelessness.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

senrath posted:

A good portion of the commenters on the update don't even believe a suicide attempt happened, they trust Kevin that little after all that's been done. Most of the others are complaining about the update in one way or the other.

And at least some of them are blaming Kevin for the whole thing, which doesn't seem entirely unfair to me.

You'll also notice that nowhere in that update does Kevin at any point express remorse for deciding to let his friend wander into a minefield of angry customers of Kevin's own creation. No "I'm sorry I allowed things to get to this point," no "I should never have let him do this," it's everyone else's fault but never his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

So just another day in the life of Kevin Siembieda then

Even by Sembiedian standards this is a new low.