Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy poo poo. Say what you will about him, but John Wick is a loving machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

What happened?
Yeah, he's sending a complete 7th Sea 2e pdf out already.

He's probably going to get all like 13 or whatever books out before Far West, at this rate.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

Considering Far West is vaporware, that is a very achievable goal.

Okay, bad example.

How about before Project:Dark?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He did that really neat RPG where you play as magic items and poo poo. I didn't get in on that but it seemed to be a perfectly well handled KS as well with the people I know who got it having nothing but good things to say.

I wanna say he did another thing too but I can't quite remember.
Quite by accident, I've backed 3 of his projects, including 7th Sea 2e. I've never been a John Wick fan per se, and never bought any of his games in the 90's, but I've been impressed with his professionalism on everything so far. He treats it like his job - which it is - and takes his commitments seriously.

Wicked Fantasy was okay. I backed it and got it for the non-d20 goodies. Great fulfillment.

I liked Wield pretty well, too. Very cheap, fulfilled very fast. Neat idea, too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Harrow posted:

Has anyone playtested the new 7th Sea yet? I'm curious how its rolling mechanic works out in play. At first glance it seemed fairly slow and complicated, but it looks like it's supposed to cram as much action into one roll (especially an opposed roll) as possible.
I haven't. Goons were getting kinda goony about it during the kickstarter, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Last promise for Chapter 9 was "early June". Just to keep everyone in the loop.
In a technical sense, we're less than halfway through June, I guess?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that 7th Sea 2nd Edition is already available on DTRPG.

I didn't back it, not my thing, but if I was a backer I'd be impressed as hell at the work ethic and professionalism reflected in that short turn-around time from funding to release.

Yeah, he's fast and thorough. I've backed three of his projects, and every single one has been seamless.

It's weird that "professionalism" and "reliability" and "getting poo poo done when you promised" are notable in this industry, but there you have it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So based on the last update, I'm less convinced about Mutant Crawl Classics. DCC broke pretty well away from D&D and managed to be only minimally groggy, as far as its rules went, so I don't understand why MCC is evidently hewing so close to DCC.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am starting to worry about Will Hindmarch.

This KS seems to be doing bad things to his state of mind. :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

InShaneee posted:

For those that can't see it: he says he's been having panic attacks, then literally begs people to stop asking for refunds because they'll be coming out of his own pocket if too many people ask.

Still no release date given, of course, and it'll be two years late in August.
Oh, I didn't realize that was a Backers-Only update. Whoops. :shobon:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

EverettLO posted:

And for those who backed Timewatch(!) the PDFs dropped. They've been better about information in the past year but it still seemed like something to linger on forever.

Now my most overdue KS is 13th Age Glorantha. That one has been kind of disappointing seeing as we're a year overdue without any real explanation.

Thanks for this. Gmail decided this was a "Promotion" and filed it away from me.

Why Pelgrane isn't just using RPGnow I have no idea, but I got my pdfs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

Looks like Goodman Games massively hosed up the add-ons from the DCC campaign last year. I got none of the right stuff, people on the Kickstarter are saying they got 10 copies of one thing and none of the stuff they wanted.
Dude every step of this Kickstarter has been a poo poo show. Remember the problems with PDF fulfillment?

I had PDF issues, issues with my softcover order, and now only got 2/3 of my add ons (with one more expensive version of one I ordered.) So I'm 0/3 and reconsidering my MCC pledge.

Backerkit, people. Backerkit.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

Yeah originally i didn't get the complaining about no backerkit because I don't do many kickstarters with add-ons, but this was a definite case where they should've used it.
It certainly seems like backerkit would have saved them a lot of money so far.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

g0del posted:

MCC update 11 says they'll be using BackerKit, so I guess they learned their lesson.
I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Yeah, I can only imagine the headaches they are having over there.

Don't get me wrong - they've made right by me on both previous occasions and I have no doubt they will this time, too. But this is a constant stream of fulfillment cock-ups that has to be costing them unimaginable money and time, probably all because some bozo decided Excel was a database and screwed up sorting and/or row alignment.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So did anyone here back Mongoose Paranoia? I saw the pre-release was out. How's the game? As poo poo as it looked?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

YF19pilot posted:

I'm sorry, what?

Dude, stop hacking rpgnet.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

poo poo, I'd forgotten all about Project: Dark.
I do, too, until I get another update for it. It may yet come out before Far West.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I got my 7th Sea hardcover today. I'm super impressed.

I also can't loving believe this only funded, what, 5 months ago? John Wick is a machine.

It's also the first time I've ever laughed out loud at rpg rulebook fiction. So that's cool, too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

Scones own, what the gently caress is what wrong with North America???
We have both scones and biscuits? Flaky, delicious biscuits you can peel apart in buttery layers.

Bagels seem to occupy the 'scone' niche over here.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

No one is taking about NA not having scones. I'm replying to this post:
Oh. Scones are delicious. I have no idea how anyone could actually hate them unless they had some really bad ones?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I decided to check on Katanas & Trenchcoats since I hadn't seen anything since June.

The creator is posting in the KS comments, which is unconventional, but there's little micro-updates here and there. So if you backed it... that's where all the action is. Most recent post was last week. I'd rather see real KS updates, but eh.

Similar stuff is happening with Emissary, if you backed that.

Out of curiosity, I went in to update my 'backed projects' record, and so far it looks like my oldest still-unfulfilled kickstarters are Torment and Xing - both PC games, and both have put me off the idea of backing PC games anytime in the future. The only TG-related KS that's completely crapped out on me is still Deck of Legends, but there's still time for Project Dark to disappoint (more), I suppose?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

You should pretty much never back a KS for a PC game. Especially if they don't have any sort of playable demo build available at the start of the KS. Best case scenario the game comes out as advertised a year (or more) behind schedule, worst case scenario the drat thing never comes out due to incompetence or outright fraud.

Edit: In the middle you get Mighty Number 9.
Yeah, both were in my earliest days on Kickstarter. I've learned my lesson, since. I think I'm only out like $35 total, and if Xing comes out on PS4 like it's supposed to, now, well...

Evil Mastermind posted:

My oldest undelivered is still Far West, which will be reaching the 5-year anniversary of funding on Thursday.
I think the only reason I avoided this particular trap is because I hadn't registered on Kickstarter yet...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FRINGE posted:

Why? Has there been a specific issue? So far (out of the three that I cared about) Eternity and Wasteland2 came out fine, and Torment seems to be on the way. Other ones I thought about, but didnt jump on (Like Banner Saga), also seemed to work out alright.
Because almost invariably, the deadlines are so far off I've found I don't give a crap once it's actually released.

Yeah, I agree, Torment is coming along. It was also due two years ago, and I just don't have any enthusiasm for it anymore.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hauki posted:

What grade is it in now? Kindergarten or first?
It could enter Kindergarten, but I think we should hold it back a year.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

Oh, so terminally stupid AND arguing in bad faith. Gotcha.
Look, there's a world of difference between what Alien Rope Burn is saying and this dude.

As sjw activist swine myself, I'm super bummed about how we'd rather eat our own than accept some nuance sometimes. Like, it's fair to say that Last Stand wasn't managed so great even before Mikan quit the internet for understandable reasons. And it's also fair for backers to be put out about it while also thinking she was treated really lovely by the attack squad.

And just so we're clear, no, Kung Fu Fist gently caress, death threats are not okay and should not be an inevitable consequence of having even the smallest public presence online. That's hosed up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Swagger Dagger posted:

SJGames is launching a kickstarter tomorrow for a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy boxed set.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3731-GURPS-Turns-30-Starts-Kicking-Down-Doors-to-Celebrate-With-Dungeon-Fantasy-RPG#.V8cxWPkrJhE

Between this and the two hardcovers, this is the biggest year for GURPS releases in, god, at least the 2010s.
Oh man, and here I was hoping there'd be a dry patch for me to back off from Kickstarter for a while.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Swagger Dagger posted:

SJGames is launching a kickstarter tomorrow for a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy boxed set.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3731-GURPS-Turns-30-Starts-Kicking-Down-Doors-to-Celebrate-With-Dungeon-Fantasy-RPG#.V8cxWPkrJhE

Between this and the two hardcovers, this is the biggest year for GURPS releases in, god, at least the 2010s.
Dungeon Fantasy is up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/dungeon-fantasy-roleplaying-game-powered-by-gurps

e: $100,000 goal :stonk:

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 1, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh man I don't even know what to make of the Dungeon Fantasty GURPS update.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/dungeon-fantasy-roleplaying-game-powered-by-gurps/posts/1670545

"Still, even if you decide not to support the project to receive a copy of the printed game, there are ways to join the project and completely avoid shipping. One of the best ways to participate and dodge pricey international shipping costs is to back the project at the No Reward level and then add-on a one-year subscription to Pyramid. That pledge comes to $71 and scores you one year -- twelve issues -- of Pyramid and any unlocked bonus PDFs. Backing the project in this way shows your interest in the game -- and GURPS overall -- and, if we succeed, you'll have the chance to buy the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game from your favorite local game store in 2017 after we release the game to distributors."

So... They're suggesting International backers who don't want to pay for shipping costs should instead back for PDF add-ons for a Pyramid subscription just to show enough support that eventually it might make it to a hobby shop somewhere near them? Is that right?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh, they added a fake PDF only tier, for effectively $36. Cool. That's a way better idea than a Pyramid sub.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

GMSkarka posted:

I won't be sticking around to get into a back-and-forth with critics, other than to offer this one clarification:

Adamant Entertainment will never do another Kickstarter, or pre-order for anything, ever again. I've learned that lesson, <i>hard.</i>

From this point forward, you'll only hear about stuff from us when it's done and ready to be released. Not only does that save you from having to worry about putting money down for something that you fear might not materialize, but it also saves me from the stress of expectations. I can get back to just making stuff, and putting it out there. Better for everybody that way, I think.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ettin posted:

we'd need to bring grognards.txt back
You tease.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Man, SJG is running this KS in about the most boring fashion possible.

On the other hand, I didn't think it possible, but Will Hindmarch has rekindled some of my long-dead enthusiasm for Project Dark with some rad, crazy detailed city maps. Not sure if the link is supposed to be backers only, else I'd post it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Car Wars Arenas was similarly "here is product, buy y/n?". It was exactly as adverted but only of interest to deep devotees.
Yeah, I'm really reconsidering. Some pizzazz would be nice. Something to keep me on my toes, waiting for the release.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh good! Anti-sexism is being confused with prudishness, again. I've missed this juvenile argument, and I pray it goes on for many pages and spreads to other threads, too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Masks just released the final PDFs through BackerKit, but there's a DriveThru link in your BackerKit page.
Just grabbed mine. Looks beautiful and well-made. I will almost definitely never play it, but the $10 I paid for the PDFs looks well-spent to me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I just got my kickstarter pdf of Emissary.

Mind blowingly great art.

System looks to be basically a much more complex 3.5, but with 2d10. Much, much crunchier than I prefer these days. Like crazy so. So I can confidently say I'm never going to play it.

I hope the setting is salvageable from the mechanics.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 15, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bieeardo posted:

I was kind of worried about that from the combat example they put up a while ago.
From appearances, it's even worse than you're probably expecting. It's very much a crunchy heartbreaker.

And on review, the setting is... Sparse-ish. Ah well. It's a pretty art book, like Eoris. At least I'm not out too much.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dwarf74 posted:

From appearances, it's even worse than you're probably expecting. It's very much a crunchy heartbreaker.
I mean, really.

Or this sample character.

I mean, I've seen crunchier, and this is some people's bag, but jeez. The art makes me really want to play, but the rules just take the wind out of my sails.

e: And yes, that is indeed a "working memory" skill you see.

quote:

The working memory skill is typically used to recall lists of items and the order of the list, where items of working memory can take the form of words, numbers or objects. A TR 14 working memory check is sufficient to recall up to 7 items and their order. For example, a TR 14 working memory check could be used to recall a new phone number with a familiar area code (6 unique numbers and 1 are code, for 7 total items), but would not be sufficient to remember a new phone number with an unfamiliar area code (as the digits of the area code are now unique items). In both cases, the number would need to have been seen within a few minutes of making the working memory check. An alternative use could be to recall the facial features, clothing and hair colour of someone a character had just met. A TR 14 result could also recognise seven differences about the layout of a room if things had been moved during a short blackout.

:(

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 16, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

"Hmm yes, better spend a page including every single possible modifier I can think of, even though they all give the exact same bonus or penalty."
The entire skill section is like that. The entire goddamn thing.

The cover chart goes clear up to 31/32 cover, btw. Because gently caress it, that's why.

Now I see why we didn't get a rules preview. And it's a shame, because there's some neat ideas, here. And gorgeous art! Top notch! Among the best I've seen!

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Loving the new thread title.