Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Mentioning the animated series is either really brave or really misguided.

quote:

It has spawned a generation of memes that will forever grace the internet.

Well, it certainly spawned at least one meme, but I'm not sure if I'd take loss.jpg as a distinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone still read B^U?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Well, since we're seeing a resurgence in the popularity of tabletop RPGs in general it was only inevitable that people who started with Pathfinder/D&D 5e started realizing that those games have their fair share of problems and instead of finding something else to play have decided to try to reinvent the wheel.

I for one welcome the second wave of fantasy heartbreakers. (Or are we maybe on the third already? Does the d20 glut of the 2000s count as the second wave?)

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Designing a Fantasy Heartbreaker would make for a great design competition. Each contestant would have to choose from a list of "innovations" that they'd have to implement into their game.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Didn't we have one of those ages ago? That's where Strike! came from, if I remember correctly.

You might be right, but the way I remember it the competition it came from wasn't really about making a heartbreaker in the traditional sense, but making your ideal version of D&D. I think it happened around the time D&D Next was first announced. Jimbozig would probably remember the particulars better.

What I'm talking about is making an honest to god heartbreaker as a creative exercise, starting with the idea of "Imagine that you know nothing about RPGs beyond D&D (or maybe Pathfinder) and now try to design the most innovative RPG ever!"

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Dammit Ratpick now you have me sitting here thinking about "what would the list of 'RPG innovations' from the past X years look like? How could they then be grafted on to BECMI/RC D&D?" :argh:

Well, if we were going by the original article that spawned the term Fantasy Heartbreaker, the irony in those games was that a lot of the "innovations" they touted had already been present in multiple RPGs, the fact that the authors touted them as innovations just betrayed the fact that the authors had never touched any RPG besides D&D.

I'm thinking stuff like:
  • An open-ended class system that allows for making your character truly yours! No arbitrary limitations: your Warrior can learn spells and your Magician can wield any weapon they train with!
  • Your character is more than just a bunch of numbers on a sheet of paper! Flesh out their personality by choosing from a list of Passions and Traits!
  • Innovative new magic system allows for casting and improvising spells on the fly! No longer suffer from being limited by having the wrong spell prepared for the day!
Categories beyond "Best Innovation" for the contest would include "Best Name for Not-D&D Race that is Clearly a D&D Race," "Best Skill List," "Dumbest Elf Variants" and "Longest List of Stats for Historical Polearms."

e: I'm actually trying to think back to the days when I only played D&D and Rolemaster to see if I can remember what elements from other RPGs gave me a feeling of "WHOA YOU CAN DO THAT IN AN RPG?!" and I think the biggest instances of that, for me, were WoD's morality meters (it's like you're putting a number next to your Alignment!) and Fate's Aspects (it's like you can get rewarded for acting according to your Alignment!).

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 14, 2017

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

The thing that actually codifies a heartbreaker, at least as per the original definition, is twofold. It's a game made by someone too locked into thinking in terms of a single game, generally D&D, so that part is what people tend to remember the most, "heartbreakers are lovely D&D knockoffs," but the other part that's supposed to make them heartbreaking is that somewhere in there buried amidst aelyfs and duarves and 50 all new classes and a skill system that uses 3d100 resolution, is supposed to be something that's genuinely interesting, creative, and/or imaginative, something that makes you realize that the guy making the game actually has some innovative ideas peaking out here and there That's what's supposed to be the heartbreaking thing, not that some dude blew five figures on a vanity print run of an elfgame that's going to molder in his garage unsold, it's that if they could get beyond idea that RPGs all orbit around D&D that they could actually create something interesting instead of yet another race-and-class fantasy game.

Yeah, I was about to type something to this effect myself. The thing that made these games "hearbreakers" was the fact that there was at least one genuinely good idea that broke the mold in each and it would've been great to see those creative ideas applied in a system other than one made with no awareness of gaming outside of D&D and furthermore no awareness of fantasy outside of D&D.

Having just reread the original article it's interesting that a lot of these "innovations" in the games in question were in the games' magic systems, whether it was allowing for players to craft their own spells, having essentially freeform spells that could be improvized provided they fit into certain keywords, or allowing for modifying spells on the fly.

The more we talk about this thing the more I actually want to go ahead and try to write my own heartbreaker just because.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Desiden posted:

Looks like we've got another contender coming up for "not-Far West". At least one disgruntled FW backer is posting links to it in the kickstarter comments page (where GMS recently tried to play the victim card and claim that everyone was big meanies for going through the attorney general rather than contact him for a refund; of course people who *did* contact him were told he wasn't issuing refunds).

https://brokenrulergames.net/high-plains-samurai/hpsrehearsal/

This is probably a lot more work and effort than has gone into Far West so far.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

With the plethora of FRPG out on the market at the moment, what would it take for you to trust a kickstarter of a new one? This isn't so much a discussion of a real KS, but a hypothetical one. Don't know if thread appropriate.

For me it'd have to be a combination of some or all of the following:
  • The game needs to do its own thing. I don't want another fantasy RPG about going into dungeons, killing goblins and taking their stuff, I've got plenty of those already.
  • However, I'll forgive an FRPG for rehashing the above formula as long as one of its core activities is so well-designed as to raise it way above D&D but different in that regard.
  • But I won't take your word for that one part being really well-designed sight-unseen: show me at least a rough draft of the mechanics or some work-in-progress examples, or even better have a video ready demonstrating the core gameplay (not a lot of tabletop RPG Kickstarters do this which is a drat shame: show, don't tell.).
  • I'd preferably have a setting with a fresh take on fantasy or at least a different focus.
  • A good and unique aesthetic. Most big-name fantasy RPGs on the market are very similar and samey in terms of art style to the point where I have a hard time distinguishing between whether a certain piece is from D&D, Pathfinder, Fantasy AGE or whatever. Give me a unique aesthetic that hasn't been done to death in fantasy RPGs.
Similarly, the following things I have no interest in to the point where I consider them warning signs:
  • I don't care how many years you've played D&D or Pathfinder for, if those are the only games you mention as your inspirations I'm going to assume that you have a very narrow view of RPG design and you're probably not going to be able to produce novel mechanics.
  • I don't care about how many classes your game has, or how many races, or how many feats or whatever. I don't care about the numbers, show me the kinds of characters you can create in your game and how your game actually supports those characters through the rules.
  • Conversely, if you say something to the effect of giving boundless freedom in creating your character I'm going to assume that your system is an unfocused mess that doesn't have a strong unique tone to it.