Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

Holy poo poo. Say what you will about him, but John Wick is a loving machine.

What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, he's sending a complete 7th Sea 2e pdf out already.

He's probably going to get all like 13 or whatever books out before Far West, at this rate.

Considering Far West is vaporware, that is a very achievable goal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

So based on the last update, I'm less convinced about Mutant Crawl Classics. DCC broke pretty well away from D&D and managed to be only minimally groggy, as far as its rules went, so I don't understand why MCC is evidently hewing so close to DCC.

Most likely, it's to retain their demographic. People like DCC which means it's less risky to make MCC like DCC, is most likely the logic.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eloy Lasanta is kickstarting a supplement for Ninja Crusader about playing the Empire. Stretch goals include a lot of other miscellaneous supplements. If you liked Ninja Crusade, you should give it a look.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Not to mention that a board game KS (Vast I think) recently had to change their name from Trove because that's the name of an MMO.

They might be protected from that because they're a merchandizer, not a game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Have any of these "lol let's be terrible" CAH-wannabes ever actually funded?

The Cynade and Happiness one did because C&H.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Strangely, it seems that political extremists lack the ability to design, develop, market, and ship a game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I thought projects made shipping EU friendly by teaming up with a European importer to concentrate and lower the VAT costs so it ends up cheaper for Europeans. Are you telling me that each EU friendly project has actually had to eat all the VAT instead?

No way of knowing, but the "changed the rules" comment is telling.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Scones own, what the gently caress is what wrong with North America???

I just googled scones and I see these all the times in bakeries. So, yeah, we have those things. Like, as a general rule, if it's food, you can probably buy it somewhere here. I saw bars made of crickets in my grocery stores last week.

Covok
May 27, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

How are those sorts of things? The last time I had an opportunity to eat something like that was in the Boy Scouts when someone was serving cooked ants or grasshoppers. (Or something similar; it's been at least 15 years.) And my perception at the time was that due to the size there was a lot of crunch but not a lot of substance. They were like popcorn but more exaggerated.

You're making a lot of assumptions on what I'd impulse buy at a store.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

Not to make this thread political, but if one US presidential candidate wins there is a great deal more uncertainty as to what shipping prices will be internationally.

If that one candidate wins, the entire Earth has a lot more things to worry about.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

Not to make this thread political, but if one US presidential candidate wins there is a great deal more uncertainty as to what shipping prices will be internationally.

Actually, looks like, on this issue at least, there is already something occurring that may gently caress things up. Apparently, a bankruptcy may gently caress up world wide shipping rates.

Covok
May 27, 2013

If you liked Valor, it looks like they're trying to kickstart a bestiary for it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I just don't get contempt for your customer. Like, at all. Luke, you're selling them something: they have a right to complain. If you don't want to complain, don't sell anything. Listen, and this not whining, but I've received complaints for $2 products and have nicely apologized and kept a cordial tone, while responding to the complaint. If action was necessary on my part, I did it. You don't get pissy because you come off looking like an absolute bunghole. You want people to like you or trust you or both when you're a salesman, you don't want them to think you're a prick.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm going to be the guy who goes one step farther and say "if you don't want to hear customer complaints, don't sell anything." Like, in all honesty, it's just a reality of doing business. Doesn't mean you need to acquiesce, but there is no way it won't happen at some point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Peas and Rice posted:

He's also been extremely communicative and apologetic. And his teenaged daughter has leukemia.

Other super late creators could learn a lot from Jamie in terms of communication and transparency.

I wonder if that has anything to do with his previous industry experience. You know, used to having to explain himself to his contemporaries, his superiors, heads of different divisions, and, potentially, investors. All of which teaching that, if someone has financial investment in something you're working on, communication is key. You know, since he used to be in charge of trying to sell D&D as an educational tool for TSR and was head of the division formed for that venture.

Also, wow, that is horrible to hear about his daughter. Hope she beats it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Does the Scion 2e kickstarter look safe or will it be the Ex3 KS 2.0?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

Scion 2e kickstarter is already looking loads better than the Ex3 one. They've had development diaries and publicly available playtest information for a while now (although not the full rules, enough to get a good sense of where things are going). They are also deliberately trying to be aware and sensitive of cultural issues, and are unlikely to have a Rape Ghosts 2: Loa Love controversy

This is good news, then. Especially the cultural sensitivity. Hopefully, the Japanese gods won't all be obsessed with anime like they were in 1e.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Oh, I have no doubts about that, because they have a loyal, if misguided, fanbase who will readily shell out for that crap; The art style is lazy, the premise is insulting and distasteful, and the mechanics are so simple a three year old could play (and would probably be the only one to actually have fun with it, more than once).

Welcome to fandoms. Where quality doesn't matter as long as it appeals to the lowest common denominator and has the proper brand name on it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If it makes you feel any better, a large portion of these backers will never, ever, ever back another non-Oatmeal board game so none of this is being stole from a more "worthy" products. Small consolation, I know.

It's like the Dark Souls board game. At least 50-60% of its backer would probably never back a board game if it didn't have "Dark Souls" in its title so it isn't taking away from other projects.

How did that KS go, after it funded?

Covok
May 27, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

What did Magpie Games do? I'm out of the loop.

Told people to stop complaining/reporting Zak S' bad behavior, serial harrasher and general jerk. Guy who outed Mikan and harrashed her till she shut down her business. Not well liked around here because of that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Backed. Cool poo poo. Harry Potter, but grown up and witha poo poo job.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sex sells. Kinky/depraved sex really sells.

See: Success of anything furry related online ever.

Like, the F+ crowdfunding episodes are a great way to learn how much people will throw at kinky things that appeal to obscure kinks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Holy crap the Dungeon World kickstarter finally released Juntu's Floating Ice Hell to backers! :supaburn:

Seriously, how long overdue?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

Anchor Baby is a card they're advertising.

Also the creators are unemployable trash bouncing around their family and friends.

This is not surprising at all.

It's almost as if poor white people who are used to privilege and getting everything on silver plate freak the gently caress out when they turn out to be welfare queens who can't accomplish anything with their lives and turn to racism and other delusions to justify their own incompetence.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Is it surprising anyone? We're getting new people in the hobby and we don't have any records of our history that newbies would see so it isn't shocking history is repeating itself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

To be honest, the idea of mixing cowboys and martials artists is cool enough that I'm surprised someone hasn't stole it and made their own game yet.

March contest?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Any good trpg KS other than the Watch?

Also, am I wrong in feeling the female and queer representation in the Watch feels tacked on. Like I know I'm opening myself up to an arguement, but, as a bi man, I always felt works that said they'd representing us somewhat lackluster in that aspect. Like, I don't know exactly what I want, but I always preferred how AW did it were it was just there as an option with no comment. Making a big deal out it always felt like it was sayinf we were not normal, you know? Like that it was special and they deserve reward for doing what should just be expected.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2141951291/wearing-the-cape-the-role-playing-game?ref=recs

Looks like there is a Superhero Webcomic RPG up on Kickstarter. It seems to be a Fate Core game. I don't know anything about the comic, the creator, or the such, but, if you're a fan, you might like it.

I took a quick look at the sample, but it isn't a complete overview though it does show a lot. Couldn't go through it to heavily because work, but it looks like it does some changes to Fate. It has both Approaches (called Attributes) and skills as well as Resources as a separate category, seems to greatly increase caps (+9 seems like much, but maybe that's okay for supers) and does some other stuff. Like I said, skimmed it. The only big thing that jumped out was replacing the Defend action with React, but I didn't see a big difference between the two actions other than the name. Example characters show some other slight changes as well. Like, from a brief skim, it looks competent enough, but I don't know how well it compares to the other Super games in FATE.

Like I said, if you like the webcomic or supers, it might be worth a look.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

This one has been in progress for a year+. I don't know if the math works out but this isn't fly-by-night.

Oh, I didn't know that. Should have mentioned it looked like they had some of their poo poo together, I suppose.

Also, checked further, and it looks like they are doing super powers through templates. Reminds me a bit of Venture City Stories, but it might be different.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 23, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Feel obligated to come in and correct myself, it seems it isn't a webcomic, but a superhero novel series.

Covok
May 27, 2013

lifg posted:

Is "Sig: Manual of the Primes" safe to back, or is this going to get shut down for copyright?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/Jagash/sig-the-manual-of-the-primes/description

What is it ripping off? Wait, is it ripping off Planescape?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

Eff if I know, I got to that part after pledging with only a few minutes left on the clock, and then read the rest of the pitch. That was embarrassing. What I was trying to nudge and wink is that, given the sea of awful gaming stories out there, any perceived necessary nods to consent should really be front and center.

Fortunately, the book itself is about as sexy as an episode of Doctor Who.

Are you saying you can't see the sex appeal of Christopher Ecceslton, David Tennant, Matthew Smith, and Peter Capaldi?

Some people have no taste.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

This is Bie, they're talking about old Doctor Who.

There were quite a few lookers on the old line-up as well. Can't deny that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/basketofdeplorables/basket-of-deplorables-the-board-game?ref=category_newest

Haha, here's another stupid political board game KS. This time it's actually anti-Trump as opposed to a kneejerk anti-Clinton/liberals game, but it's just as stupid and poorly thought out as the rest.

I seriously don't know who would want to pledge for this poo poo.

Politicans are basically celebrities who have no rights to their image or name due to the fact they're public figures and the emotions about the current politicians couldn't be more heated and polarized. Not surprised some people see a business opportunity.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Desiden posted:

Looks like we've got another contender coming up for "not-Far West". At least one disgruntled FW backer is posting links to it in the kickstarter comments page (where GMS recently tried to play the victim card and claim that everyone was big meanies for going through the attorney general rather than contact him for a refund; of course people who *did* contact him were told he wasn't issuing refunds).

https://brokenrulergames.net/high-plains-samurai/hpsrehearsal/

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to rip off a game that looked like it is never coming out and the customers are mad and probably still somewhat want something like they put their money down on.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

The End Times move one step closer, as GMS has actually sent backers the setting chapter of Far West.

Or, at least, the manuscript of the chapter. As an 81-page RTF file.

Oh my God! Holy hell! An RTF file? Really? Really? How many years and that's all he got?

Covok
May 27, 2013

With the plethora of FRPG out on the market at the moment, what would it take for you to trust a kickstarter of a new one? This isn't so much a discussion of a real KS, but a hypothetical one. Don't know if thread appropriate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Servetus posted:

So apparently another successor game to The Riddle of Steel has made it to the Kickstarter phase.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2006613790/song-of-swords-tabletop-roleplaying-game

http://www.songofswords.net/

I haven't open the PDF yet, but I do applaud them for having a very clear kickstarter and a full beta available from the start. The game might suck, don't know yet as I haven't read anything rules related, but kudos on doing KS right, from what I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Remind me again what was so wrong with Paranoia XP that we needed a new edition that hosed everything up?

Money.