Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Slimnoid posted:

He also never once kissed his wife.

Wait a minute, I just realized: they had a western style wedding! How did that go without him kissing her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Liquid Communism posted:

Man, it's been a couple months and the final release isn't 'til August, but I'm still bummed about SIGMATA. Advertising a game as 'A tabletop role-playing game about ethical insurgency against a fascist regime, taking place in a dystopian vision of 1980s America.' then a month after close of the campaign going 'and by resistance, we mean the far-right fringe!' is pretty loving terrible, and I wish misfortune upon Chad Walker in every way possible.

For those who didn't catch the drama : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2089483951/sigmata-this-signal-kills-fascists/posts/2092902

So your protagonists are inherently, and mechanically required to balance the interests of a coalition made of libertarian militiamen, end-times cultists, randian industrial technocrats, and tankies.

Talk about a fucknuckle of a writing decision. For fun, here's some of their promotional art :

I actually talked to the guy when he first announced it and tried to find out his game. At the time, I bought his "I am a centrist who was trying to see both sides" shtick. Which, while horrible, isn't actively malicious. As time went on, though, I am convinced he knew exactly what he was doing. I mean, no centrist can be this dumb without it being intentional. Right? Right? Actually, no, I'm wrong: they can be. But I am still convinced this poo poo was intentional. I mean, he had to know what he was doing when he showed that promo art...then made the resistance the four evils of the neo-nazi axis powers.

Glad I didn't back it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Scion 2e sent out backer pdfs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

How hard would it be to just pay a random guy on deviantART to just draw a bunch of Cowboys? He probably get the work done faster. Or do people use Tumblr now?

Covok
May 27, 2013

FMguru posted:

I've bolded the word in your question that points to the answer.

GMS is broke. He's cancelled physical print runs for pre-sold books, instead giving PDF copies and scrip for the Adamant company digital store.

He SHOULD have had money post-kickstarter. He should have just gone "okay, I'll give you like 500 dollars to do the layout, I'll give you like 300 to do some art pieces, and I'll give you like 700 to edit it" and be done with it. That's what I plan on doing if I ever do F.E.V as a kickstarter. The game is already written so I would just find some people, hash out a reasonable price, do a kickstarter with the cost plus a flexible "in-case poo poo goes pearshaped" buffer as the goal money, and just give it to them to finish it. I mean, when you can't do something, hire someone who can, right?

Covok
May 27, 2013

spectralent posted:

How's FEV going lately, by the way?

Mostly sitting there idle because of my own laziness and fear that I haven't "marketed it" enough. Like, I never did a kickstarter before and I'm kind of lazy. The game is literally done ,for the most part. It just needs a good editing pass. And people have been kind of doing that for me. Seriously, I'm not even kidding, I still get notification going "someone suggested you remove a period here" or "someone suggested you add a space here" on the document. I kind of need to go through them.

It's languishing due to real life bullshit too. It'd be like "I'm going to do it" then I got laid-off from my job. Twice. And it kind of makes me forget about the whole thing when I scramble to get a job then need to settle into my new job.

The game itself is shockingly actually got legs despite me periodically forgetting it exists. Like I said, I keep getting suggestions on the doc. And, a couple months ago, someone reached out to me and told me they were a player in a campaign of it that had been going on for a couple months. He invited me to their discord because it is essentially a pbp game done on discord. It was actually really awesome to meet those guys and see how much fun they were having. I use them as a sounding board sometimes. You know, going "Hey, you been running into any problems" or "hey, anything you think the game is lacking?" kind of stuff.

I really should put my foot down and finally setup the kickstarter. I actually did start it forever ago and do have some of the layout done for the kickstarter page. I'm just...a bit of an anxiety ridden wreck who has trouble doing things that should be easy due to fears that only exist in my own head.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

$300 is very, very conservative for an art budget.

I just pulled the number out of my arse. Though, that's probably how much I would pay out-of-pocket before actually kickstarting it. I learned from forum user Ettin and forum user gnome7 that you pretty much HAVE to spend some money to get some art and poo poo done before you kickstart anything. I mean, I kind of always knew that, but, when Ettin was talking about how much easier it was to work on Breakfast Cult when he (I'm assuming Ettin's a he, but I'm not sure) had the KS money to dip into instead of paying out of pocket, it kind of hit me.

homullus posted:

Consider how far Far West and Alas Vegas were delayed due to anxiety and depression before you set up the Kickstarter. Look at how much Blades in the Dark changed once it was playtested some amount closer to what it should have been before being Kickstarted. Look at how much Erika Chappell is changing her game to make it "worthy" of the successful Kickstarter. To me, you don't sound like you're in a good position at all to have a healthy Kickstarter experience, whether it succeeds or not.

I guess not. I mean, my plan would be just to give it to a bunch of people to work on while I monitor. I mean, that's the plan at least. My part of the game process -- making the game -- is done. And I'm even already having it playtested. So, like, that is all good. I even got a few ideas for stretch goals from my playtesters -- a goten/trunks inspired playbook where you are kind of the second half of another character, rules for filler arcs, and stuff like that. So, I think really it just needs layout and stuff. Hell, I already even started the layout but it's...amaeturish.

You can see for yourself here. Just a head's up that this is set to two-page spread. Wherever you see "placeholer", I plan to put art there. If anyone is curious, I don't plan on putting any color artwork in it to save money because I'm a cheap gently caress and don't want printing costs to get high to mimic how manga is traditionally drawn in black and white.

Like, maybe I could just do it all myself. I could finish the layout, then just commission some art, and do it all out of pocket. But my ability is kind of lacking. Though, I guess I could always come back to it, like I did with Dungeon Bastards (where the first set of layout was BAD and then a friend from my Urban Shadow's game offered to make it look nice).

spectralent posted:

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear. Good luck on the new jobs!

In some ways, it was for the best. When I worked at KPMG, I was commuting 1 1/2 hours to the city and 1 1/2 hours back. And, from January to April and from July to October, I was regularly working 60 to 80 hour weeks, often not getting home till 12am or even 2 or 4am. So, my second job being 10 minutes away was nice, even with the pay drop. Then, when that place dropped me -- and everyone I talked to is convinced they were secretly hiring me as a temp employee for one busy season because they let me go the day after tax season ended and that I was replacing a guy they had fired last year at well the exact same time -- I was able to get a new job with a 30,000+ pay raise that is only a 40 minute drive away. So, honestly, I've managed okay for myself and I'm very lucky and grateful that I have a good network of family, friends, and colleagues to help me out.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 15, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

I'm actually super interested in hearing about your experience writing F.E.V., is there a better thread for discussing it further?

Glad to hear about the improvement in your situation, regardless!

I guess we can talk about it in the game writing thread. That seems the most appropriate.

Just post your questions there and I'll get back to you.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 16, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

gnome7 posted:

And I have finally completed the book from my third kickstarter. Panic at the Dojo is available for sale! :toot:

Do I smell a fourth kickstarter?

Seriously, though, congratulations. This book looks lit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I got a quote for the layout of my game today so I decided to start work on the kickstarter page.

How does it look? I didn't get art yet so it's spartan. But how are the basics? I'm going to start search for some art. Make some banners. And do a brief video with some art pieces and public domain music.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wait, what happened with Kihtai?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Hasn't come out yet, will likely be heavily delayed now due to there now being only one permanent employee at John Wick Presents, that being John Wick.

My emotions!

First, I went "oh, phew, I thought y'all were talking about Kamigakari."

But, then I realized I actually did back Khitai! For $60!

Womp-womp.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I bought all the 7th Sea 2e stuff separately. The system is terrible, but the setting books are amazing.

I think it was quantum Ninja who proved that mathematically you can't ever tell if you optimize your die roll or not. Which really says a lot about your system when computer scientists are telling you that it's impossible to ever tell if you optimized a single roll in the game, not character creation just a roll.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm just going to say this. I'm an accountant. I specialize in tax accounting. I do addition and subtraction and rarely multiplication. I did division once. When a computer scientist said this and made an argument, I believe them. I'm starting to think I may have been miscorrect in my trust.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What the gently caress is that thing?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hearts of Wulin is a PbtA Wulin game. Didn't deep dive. Might be relvant to your interests.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'd be explicit that there's not enough money left to provide hundreds or thousands in refunds, and provide a complete breakdown (particularly if one hasn't been given in prior updates) of where the money went to account for it all. You'll get some bonkers people who do say "I don't care, dig yourself deep into debt to satisfy me!!", sure, but all someone can do at that point is provide the most professional "no" possible.

Ran a board game club in college. We needed to increase membership to keep the budget. When we advertised, everyone asked for monopoly and risk, which we didn't have because they were too casual. It cost us $20 to buy that a few other casual games. It got membership up enough to keep our $500/semster budget, which allowed us to keep hosting our once-per-semester tournamets and our annunal multi-club convention.

Older members hated me for wasting our budget on them because "it comes from our tutition and this is a waste of our momey."

Point: if people feel ownership of money, they feel they should all individually have complete say on its allocation and will hound you for anything they wouldn't want it spent on, regardless of the bigger picture.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I didn't see this before when I checked the last 5 pages: Henshin: A Sentai RPG!

Originally released in 2017, Henshin is a Super Sentai RPG inspired by Powered By The Apocalpyse. It's not PBTA, it's an original, diceless system, but the inspiration is clear:

You get the picture.

It's light, fun, and seems well-designed.

The game is currently available as a brief 12 page PWYW game on DTRPG. As a result, it's brief and lacks detailed play advice. The Kickstarter is to make a fully-fledged 120 page book with GM advice, better play-aids, and other goodies to help run the game.

It will come with 5 prebuilt scenarios, three were previously available. It has 6 standard Colors (classes, playbooks, etc.), 2 special ones currently available, and 2 more already unlocked as stretch goals. It has a Kamen Rider hack unlocked as well.

If you're interested, check the link at the top of this post.

Covok
May 27, 2013

NickRoweFillea posted:

drat. Hate that I missed the Kamigakari discourse. I think it’s time I took a break from Kickstarter, what with a) this insane embezzlement debacle and b) canning union organizers. I just want my fifty bucks back from the person that stole it.

Wait, what?

Holy poo poo, I got robbed. I didn't even realize. gently caress.

Covok
May 27, 2013

NickRoweFillea posted:

That’s what gets me. If that were always the case, they should have made that clear. Instead, we have a crook buying a gaming pc and disappearing. I’m not anticipating a refund at all, though it sure would be nice.

Yue is apparently the lead on this project.

Oh, this is just like that other kickstarter for that comic book. I forget what it was called. The writer had done a KS to get a print run of the comic. But she had a breakdown and instead filmed herself burning all the comics then mocked the backers for thinking currency entitled you to someone's labor.

At least, that's what my friend said happened.

Anyway, this reminds me of that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Pictures for Sad Children wasn't it?

No idea.

GaistHeidegger posted:

It just seems baffling that there are two team members who signed on to be paid via proceeds post-production who were not simply given even a nominal small share of the leftover $40 - $50k that was counted as profit, let alone not having just funded the production of books with the excess funds instead of waiting on nebulous pdf sales to finance that.

People in trpg stuff can be weird. I once had a guy who wanted to redo the layout of Dungeon Bastards. He offered, not me. He was a player in my Urban Shadows game.

I offer to pay him. He refuses. He says he rather be paid in exposure. I clarify that I don't feel morally comfortable doing that. My book is tiny, I can offer no "exposure," and I morally disagree with the notion of paying people in exposure.

He remains adamant. I relent.

He does the work. He does a good job, for the most part. I took some issue, just like with my first layout guy, because he muddied with the text a bit. I didn't feel the pictures needed captions. But okay.

I notice he didn't put his name on the book. He decided that, since Dungeon Bastards is so vulgar, he doesn't want to be associated with it.

I offer to pay him for his work. He refuses.

I say to at least put his name on it. It won't hurt him. He did a good job on the layout. He refuses.

I relent.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Agrias120 posted:

I've really wanted a Super Sentai system, this looks great. Going to have to give the preview a look--my players might riot at a diceless system, but this seems great.

Since a version of the game has been out since 2017, I downloaded it before backing the Kickstarter.

First off, I can definitely see why people requested a full book with more game master advice. While a lot of us here are used to this kind of game, it would be very confusing to a Dungeon and Dragons fan. The version released in 2017 is roughly 12 pages long. It's written with the assumption you are familiar with games like Blades in the Dark, Apocalypse World, and the like. Considering the developers met over a game of Dungeon World, this shouldn't be a surprise. The fact this game has some pull in the Power Rangers community also probably had something to do with it. Apparently, they brought it to Morphcon last year and it did pretty well. They even snagged a quote from a Boom Comics executive, who are in charge of the Power Ranger comic's license, praising the game:

“HENSHIN! combines the best elements of Sentai action - martial arts moves, monsters, and morphing - with explosive world building and gameplay that takes the RPG to new heights!”
—Matt Levine, Associate Editor at BOOM! Studios for the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers comic

The flip side of this, however, is a lot of exposure to general audiences outside of the tabletop rpg hobby. Considering the inspiration for this game engine is a niche of a niche, I can definitely see why customers got confused. The "this is not a Dungeon and Dragons hack" in the kickstarter is telling of the feedback they likely received from some fans.

Secondly, I really like the engine they developed. It's clear they have a different paradigm than Vincent Baker, but is using the same basic concepts. The game still uses the "conversation", but you can tell they disagree with the random elements of PbtA. They eschew dice and replace it with a token system. It creates a nice gameplay flow. Players need to do actions that put themselves at risk to get tokens they need to solve problems. They can take actions that don't solve the problem and get them temporarily safe, but can't move things forward without taking risk. The later is needed to have a roleplaying game, but the former makes a nice back-and-forth with the game master and other players that pushes players to play in character and satisfy the cliches of the genre.

I like the Colors, this game's classes. Each one is simple and to the point. While the game takes inspiration from a lot of sources, I like that it uses the Mighty Morphin Era so heavily in the Color selection. This isn't because I'm a fan of the MMPH era, the first three seasons of Power Rangers. I was born in 1993 so I actually never saw that show. My first Super Sentai was Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy. I like it because that works better with general consciousness. It's easier to get across that Red is the leader, Blue is the smart one, Yellow is the support, Black is the cool one, Pink is the heart of the team, and Green is the powerhouse to a play group since that's what people would be expecting. I like how subtly the game pushes players to play to character. Through the turn system, players are encouraged to act in a certain manner and rewarded for it. The different methods they acquire tokens keep them on point, but its all voluntary and never forced. If they want the Token, they do it. If they don't, they don't.

Setting creation is simple and to the point. I like how its practically a checklist. It works well to do as the game says: "start with a simple concept and get complicated later." Looking at one of their modules, I can see how easily one can spin out a cool setting using this setup. I also like one of their examples is a pretty cool one that I haven't seen before: Super Sentai based on Hollywood monsters.

My main downside is length. Players will prestige quickly. At the end of every session, the group votes on who will get a Raise, which is a level-up. Each Color has three potential raises. Presumably, you can only take each one once given their wording. One of them is basically a prestige option: Swap powers with someone, lose your powers, step down, or disappear. It was clarified that "swap powers with someone else" can be used to change your Color, which works well with the special colors that are made specifically to be added mid-game. But, still, this would mean players' characters do quickly end up on their way out. Which is odd for Super Sentai which is known to go on for roughly 49 episode seasons. However, I can tell the creators work from the modern gaming mind set where games are only supposed to last 6-12 sessions. This does fit in with that timescale. That said, I would like it better if there five or even six raises per characters so that play could go longer if the players wanted it to.

I will say I could be wrong you can only take each Raise once as the rules never say as such. However, the wording seems to imply this to be the came. For example, here are the Yellow raises:

Yellow Raises posted:

Raises
When told, you may choose the following:
• You are, without a doubt, a vital guiding force. No one will think you deserve a backseat role. Describe why.
• Your suit, weapon, or mech become undeniably better. Describe how. Start each episode with a token from now on.
• Retire your character. Swap powers with someone, lose your powers, step down, or disappear. Describe what happens.

My only last gripe is justifying the 120 page version. The 12 page pdf is enough to run the game. While this could be said for most games in the style of PbtA, its usually done the opposite way: the book comes first then the play aids. It actually cheapens the book for the play-aids to be the sole game for three years before the book release. Still, there are a lot of things that could be better explained and are a little vague. Not to mention that I love the proposed additional Colors, modules, and Kamen Rider hack. As such, I backed the project.

I'm iffy since I just found out what happened with that other KS. However, the fact that they managed to launch the game, support it, and bring it to conventions before this kickstarter makes me confident in their ability to deliver.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 21, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

So the game in general looks great, but it really weirds me out how nobody is mentioning Dream Askew here? Like, ‘diceless PbtA powered by a token economy where you take a token by having archetype-specific bad things happen to you and spend a token to do archetype-specific good things’ describes Dream Askew to a tee, but it’s held up here (and on the page) as one of Henshin!’s big innovations. Not suggesting foul play - it’s perfectly possible they never even looked at Dream Askew - but, well, it’s weird.

I didn't realize this is the engine that Dream Askew uses. I apologize for being misleading. I didn't realize that that was what this was because, while I am aware of the game, I never actually delved into it deeply.

As for the kickstarter, I'm not sure. The fact it is not mentioned is why I didn't even think to bring it up here.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tricky posted:

Dream Askew/Apart launched the kickstarter (May 2018) months after the free version of Henshin was released (Dec 2017), so it seems like you're kind of flipping who was inspired by who.

I thought the same thing at first too. But then I looked into it and the first version of Dream Askew was released in 2013 on the website Buried Without Ceremony. And that version of DA from 2013 has the same engine and terminology as this game so I think she's right about that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tricky posted:

Huh, interesting. I'd definitely never seen it before and I've gone to the website a few times to grab Monsterhearts stuff.

I remember seeing it back in the day. I couldn't understand how it worked back then. I do remember seeing it. It was on the site the same time as Monsterhearts and Rookville.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Yeah, Dream Askew's a lot older than the Dream Askew/Apart kickstarter, that was for the second edition. Plus, well, friends asked the Henshin! folks about the Dream Askew connection and their response was:

I can understand that, to a degree - still, it'd be nice to have acknowledgement of the inspirations. I mean, the kickstarter page only mentions two RPGs: Dungeons and Dragons (in the context of saying it's not a D&D hack) and Dungeon World (in the context of saying that's how the creators met). No mention even of PbtA. So, not how I'd put together a KS page these days.

Yeah, I did get the vibe they're not big on talking about there system inspiration. Doesn't speak the best of their personalities. But, not bad enough for me to rescind my pledge. Like its lovely, but not like "actually a Nazi" or "screwing over their workers" lovely.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Evil Hat/John Harper (along with Sean Nittner this time) are KSing Agon 2e: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/agon

I literally bought 1e Agon like three months ago. That's a shocking coincidence. I was looking for Roman TRPGs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I get what you are all saying, but this and being robbed has made me never want to back a kickstarter again. I think I am going to just drop crowdfunding for life.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Maybe its because there are creators here who will be negatively affected by people not buying into kickstarter as a platform, but going "oh, this business does poo poo I don't like so I won't buy from it" is a pretty normal thing to, regardless of a union requested boycott. I mean, I only buy from PDQ instead of Chik Filla because the later is anti-LGBT+.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Goon Magsnuth started a kickstarter for their game Red Rook Revolt Magnusth is a pretty cool person and I trust that they will make a cool game focusing on revolution and opposing oppression. People here may find this game interesting.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shinobigami is shipping.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Its worth noting that Luke Crane being a KS employee probably should be disclosed since he DOES bend the rules for his friends. He is personal friends with the owners of Onyx Path and lets them skirt the rules on things like "how many Kickstarters you can run at once," "starting a Kickstarter while another isn't complete," and other things in that wheelhouse.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Not sure if this is better here or the industry thread, but The Avatar The Last Airbender TRPG KS broke 4 million today. Kicktraq says it's making 300k a day now and its been 5 days since launch. It is already the most funded KS for TRPGs and is on track to make a lot more.

Will this drive more license holders to make TRPGs? Will this drive people to consider smaller indie systems over 5e? Essentially, we have over 33k and counting people backing a PbtA game for 4mil+ atm, I wonder if this will shift any trends.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not an RPG player, so why is this one doing so well? Is it just the license or is there some other highly compelling force at work here?

It's almost certainly the license. AtlA has never had a TRPG before, but hacks were being made for it back in 2006. I remember two big ones back then, one for Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 right at the tail end of that Edition and an impressively detailed one for Dungeons and Dragons 4e late into that edition. There are a thousand and one FATE hacks. gently caress, I made a big 200+ sourcebook for it for FATE. I've seen hacks for D&D 5e, Savage Worlds, Gensys (online friends with the peep doing Second Age) and on-and-on. Peeps go off how Anima Prime or Fellowship are perfect to play Avatar, both listing Avatar The Last Airbender as inspiration for their game. There is a Knock-Off PbtA game called "Legend Of The Elements" that started as an Avatar fan hack before becoming its own thing, that I've run twice. And tons of indie games, like Strike!, have had little microsettings based on Avatar, but usually just tiny little 1-2 page blurbs for copyright reasons.

The industry has been wanting an Avatar TTRPG for years. I still remember peeps being told to use Exalted 2e Dragonblooded to play Avatar back on RPG.net (which is awful advice as Dragonblooded use the elements more metaphorically and they have five elements).

When this dropped, it could have used any system. The fact the game is actually good and uses a popular indie engine, Powered By The Apocalypse, and not 5e is what could make this have wider industry implications. The common zeitgeist has been to do D&D 5e hacks for everything and that has reinforced 5e's unquestioned industry dominance. Now, it looks like people get what a TRPG is and will follow the license. That's lovely in some ways but could mean we get big licenses in indie darling systems for a change, especially if KS can fund the expense of it all.

Tl;dr Yes, it's the license. Half the people on Magpie's discord server have no fecking idea what PbtA is but play D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1550704486972268545?s=20&t=33cay2CHq9RWh1HsDhN4Ew