Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm in for the upgrade currently, but I'm probably going to cancel for that reason, combined with the fact that they're doing nothing to fix the worst element of the base game (you've never played before? Here, parse these 48 language independent upgrade tiles on turn 1)

I've only been skimming the updates but the whole campaign has had a real shambolic feel to it, like they've been on the back foot from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Infinitum posted:

Crossposting

Terraforming Mars is a good game marred by a publisher that charges premium prices for bargain basement components. I would not be willing to buy anything made by them sight unseen, as it's very likely to be a lot crappier than it appears in photos or concept renders

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

GrandpaPants posted:

Technically the Cthulhu stuff doesn't stop you from just getting Kemet 2.0. The Cthulhu stuff is just an expansion.

It's more that it lends the whole thing an air of shambolic desperation

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm finding it very easy to not Kickstart board games at the moment, because I have shelves full of them and they're all useless for the foreseeable

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Infinitum posted:

The Whatnot Cabinet - This has been getting some good reports from what I've been reading, and looks very chill

I don't know much about this game, but I backed Skulk Hollow by the same creator and it was both a smooth campaign and a good game

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Very excited about this. Ironclaw is such an underrated system.

I can't find an Ironclaw thread in TG; could you tell me what's cool about it?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Awesome, thanks for the link. I only started posting in TG recently, so I didn't really get the whole Fatal and Friends thing and keep forgetting there's an off-site archive

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Redwall would be a much easier sell for my group

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Shadow225 posted:

I feel like I remember someone involved in the development of this posting here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/monster-care-squad?ref=section-homepage-view-more-recommendations-p1

It looks beautiful. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a role player by trade. I would certainly have trouble DMing. How easy would this be to pick up and play for someone who is a complete novice at role-playing and all of its complexities?

The creator does post here and hopefully they'll have chance to give you a more definitive answer than I can.

Games like this that trace their lineage back to Apocalypse World are notable for giving GMs more (and better) advice on how to do it than basically any other RPG. They explicitly lay out how to handle the first session, and then guide you through the process of taking what happened in that session and organising it in a way that will let you run a campaign.

They even go so far as to give the GM actual rules to follow, something that's far less common than you might expect.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Had to lie down and go back to sleep after seeing the total this morning ngl

Congrats!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Monster of the Week would work fine for a Hellboy game

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope the component quality is better than Avalon's since those tokens fade really drat quickly.

It's Indie Boards and Cards (or whatever they're called these days). What does your heart tell you?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OgreNoah posted:

I received my physical copies of Lancer and Forbidden Lands/Bitter Reach yesterday, and I'm very impressed with both books, though Lancer certainly takes the cake. That is a massive amazingly illustrated book. Operant doesn't do anything by halves.

I just wish Lancer used a font that wasn't so painful to read

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DS was a mess but can be made enjoyable with some serious house ruling. Worth noting that the designers basically gave up trying to do better than the online variant writers with the old "it's a toolkit for making the game you want to play" excuse.

I enjoyed Resident Evil 2, it's a fun and tense co-op that doesn't over-reach.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Looks like a cube of fudge with a thumb print in it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

They made good characters and they made bad characters, then they blamed the players for only running the good characters. Then they cancelled the game while essentially claiming that, because of the above, they had run out of design space.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gorefiend posted:

At their first sanctioned tournament in the Warmachine Weekend basement Matt gave a big speech to the players about how they wouldnt be relying on kickstarters going forward. That wasn't even a year before they started churning out all the licensed swill.

As someone who worked with Matt prior to his time at Steamforged, I can say that he is a grade A bullshitter

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Steamforged is bad at designing games of this genre, bad at delivering projects of this scale, and will happily blame their players for their own failures. I don't think any of that has changed in the last 2 weeks

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A friend of mine backed Devil May Cry and says he's really enjoying it. Fun combat, clever combo system, nice miniatures.

He backed Dark Souls and regrets it every day, so no rose-tinted glasses going on here.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Phigs posted:

What's wrong with the Dice Tower crew?

E: NVM did a search to find out for myself

What was the answer? I always thought they were fine and basically well-meaning

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

graventy posted:

I have no idea if Bloodborne is actually a good game, but I now own just an absurd amount of models and game for the pledge.

I haven't played it yet but people over on BGG seem enthused. The average review score is low at the moment but it was at like a 6 before anyone had a copy so the usual bombing shenanigans

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

JazzFlight posted:

Also yeah, I’m trying to figure a way to condense Bloodborne down to like 4 boxes maybe. I’m fine with tossing inserts and just bagging all the minis and cards.

If you manage this, I'd appreciate you dropping some photos in this thread

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I was thinking that following roughly the same strategy as The Others would probably be a good plan. I got that down to the core and three team boxes

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My friend's game launched yesterday. If you're looking for a simple and customisable dungeon crawl to play with your kids, it's a lot of fun!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cabbagedan/coraquest

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The phrase "for those on the fence about our solo game" certainly makes it sound like they're going to do something to change that. Co-op mode with sidekicks maybe?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Lol. I abandoned hope on the Ryuutama stuff years ago.

Siege of the Citadel arrived this week. There's always hope

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Robo-Slap posted:

I've been following this game pretty closely. It's a total mess.

They've posted a bunch of rules on bgg that didn't make it into the rulebook for some reason. So we do know about the combat.

In short, it works like this:

This sounds utterly miserable

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OrthoTrot posted:

I've only played John Company once because I bought the drat thing immediately before lockdown, but I'd say it's considerably easier to teach than it looks. The tracks make it very clear how everything progresses so at least the structure of the game is easily communicated just by looking at the board. And much of the game kind of plays itself.

A lot of the time people don't get to really change what the company is doing, then suddenly you get a really massive decision point over something that had seemed innocuous the turn before. It's a strange game. But yes, it seems quite niche. I have a gaming group on hand who I know will love it.

I've played twice (well three times but the first was a disaster due to lack of preparedness on my part) and this has been my experience too.

The first edition never really tells you that the game isn't in trying to control what the company does, so if you got into it with that as a goal it's going to be super frustrating. The actual goal is to grasp and claw for all the money you can while manoeuvring your army of failsons up the corporate ladder, all while the company performs its role as a giant Unintended Consequence generator.

The second edition kickstarter is way more up front about the mechanical and thematic purpose of the game which leads me to believe that it's going to be much more accessible. The impression I got from the first edition was that you were meant to discover that it's satire as you play, which is a neat idea but not one that works in the context of a game group that has the option of playing any number of less obtuse games.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Thanks for all the info you've posted, very helpful. Can you talk about non-combat mechanics at all? The campaign page is particularly light on those details unless I've overlooked something

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I don't really see resource management as pushing every class into the same playstyle. No one would accuse 5E of this, but hit points are a resource. Actions per turn are a resource. Spell slots are a resource

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is A3 bigger or smaller?

Bigger. A3 is twice the size of A4. A4 is pretty close to US letter

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It really is a beautiful book. When I show it to people they all coo over the pink page edges (I'm sure there's an actual word for "page edges" but you know what I mean)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but it's easier to fund in seconds if you have mondo whale tiers and mondo whales to fill them, although the timing is still sketch as hell because mondo whales aren't the type to wait eagerly for your campaign to open so they can pledge.

Frosthaven also had a minimum goal 20x higher than this fake CCG