Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I dunno Arivia, "economic horror" seems like a concept worth digging into, especially in today's world. Very relatable. If I understand what they are trying to do correctly, dying by zombie bite is just a metaphoric way to die of the myriad ways poor people die of. Plus I like games in which you have to consider economic factors for your actions.

I actually wanted to listen to those podcasts they mentioned but the link didn't work for me.

And what does "idiotic tech bro capitalism" even mean?

While we are on the subject, there was talk of zombie media being co-opted by so-called libertarians: what is that all about? I know that certain conservative gun nuts are all over them because they justify their firearm collection and allow them to shoot at people who are different than them with impunity, but not that one.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

what exactly am i looking at here

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

alg posted:

are people serious about this

If I, an Italian person, were to see this in the home of somebody I know, I would probably consider burning the place down. I wouldn't do it, because I am a rational person that doesn't act on every emotive impulse I get, but the thought would cross my mind.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Doodmons posted:

Largely the way that the new Enhancements system, where you only ever roll your Stat + Skill for a given task but things like equipment, circumstances and supernatural powers add automatic successes (but unless you get 3 successes over the difficulty it's only a partial success) makes everything way, way swingier and more brutally deterministic. If you're Stronk Stronkson the jotun and you're trying to punch someone, you're either going to miss outright or blast them into tiny tiny pieces with absolutely no middle ground. Literally all you need is that single success for all your other things to proc off and you to get like 5 or 6 successes. Scion 1E had this real problem where people with a difference of even 1 Legend literally couldn't fight each other without it being a one-way brutal murderfuck because of the sheer number of automatic successes that higher levels of Epic Attributes gave you - Scion 2E replicates this problem in spades where if you have more Enhancements than the other person you will defeat them 99% of the time with no deviation. So much of your power comes as automatic successes provided by Enhancements rather than from the dice themselves that the outcome of any given competition is pretty much predestined. Scale compounds on this problem where if you fight something of greater Scale than you, it will straight-up annihilate you unless you have some really grody stats on your side that it doesn't have, for some reason.

I've found (well, okay, someone else found and shared with me) a dev tracker that seems to state that this is not how it works.

quote:

Q: The system seems massively swingy, if your are a focused character with five relevant Enchancement and you roll 0 successes you get 0, but if you roll 1 you get 6, that seems uneven, particularly with defense numbers seeming static and much more modest. Given that the damage system has a lot in common with Fate, I'm concerned that will play poorly together. If a stamina 2 character takes 8 damage they'll need to fill their -4 box or be instantly taken out? (HidaO-Win)
A: Yes, but note that Enhancements are pretty powerful and - it's not stressed in the document but it is in the books - somewhat rare. There's a soft cap of 3 where we point out to Storyguides that this represents an overwhelming advantage. (Neall)
http://www.ttrarchive.com/store/index.php?title=Scion_2E:_What_We_Know

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 28, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So, I am in a bizarre position. I am interested in the new Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana kickstarter, which I imagine has been already mentioned. Specifically, I am interested in the extra chapter available at the 65$ tier; the problem is that that includes this:
*A code for a POD, full-color, hardcover copy of the Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana book purchased at cost through DriveThruRPG.

I have no use for that. Does anyone want it? Perhaps enough to shoulder a bit of the 65$ I am seriously considering dropping on this elfgame, oh my god what's wrong with me?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

"Dungeons and Darkness". Yep. Everyone is really impressed with you stealing the designs of someone who is much better at designing things then you, but you know what would really sell them on your product? A cutesy, winky name.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Regarding Reign 2e, this is something that I really appreciate:

quote:

In addition to general cleanup, Greg has strived to modularize the rule and make it easier to get exactly the game you want. In this edition, we say “If your group wants highly detailed tactical combat with loads of options, use Options A and B. If they just want it to be one element amongst skullduggery and political intrigue and low comedy, just use C.” You can pick what the rules magnify to make the rules right for your group’s adventures. This applies to chase, intrigue and other rules systems as well.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

I actually wish it wasn't using ORE, ORE's got a huge problem in that it has a very, very small sweet spot for a character to be good at something without being overwhelmingly good at it. Like you go from 'i can't do poo poo' at 4 dice to 'i am literally unstoppable' at around 8.

At 4 dice you have a 50% chance of getting a match. One of the many things I enjoy about Reign is how Stoltze is very upfront about how the math works:

So yes, investing in your character being good at something means you are going to pass the great majority of routine tests in what you've invested in, which seems like kind of the point? You can still use difficulties for truly challenging feats, so even if you are basically guaranteed to get a roll, is it going to be good enough to climb the perfectly smooth wall or to satisfy the king's refined palate?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/484998492/mortasheen-a-weird-monstrous-pen-and-paper-rpg-world/description

So! Jonathan Wojcik, aka Bogleech, a guy who makes cool articles about monsters and bugs, has finally put out the kickstarter for the RPG that he's had in the backburner for literal decades, possibly a decade: Mortasheen. It's a post-apocalyptic game where you play a mad scientist growing his own monsters, kind of like Pokemon by way of Resident Evil but with a campy, upbeat tone.

I am going to be straight with you: I've been a fan of this setting since I first heard of it, and I backed this on that merit alone. But I've been hesitant to post about it here, since there's barely any information at all on the mechanics. Before the last update, we just knew that someone who wasn't Bogleech was working on the mechanics side of things and that it was an original system.

After some prodding on my part, I got an important bit of info:

quote:

As I've always been transparent about, I don't have any involvement in the mechanics myself; besides the fact that they developed certain play concepts especially to convey the kind of world I set up.

A reason why I can't tell people it's "done" however is that, while it may well be playable, and they're confident in it, they still want to give you guys opportunity to give feedback with enough time for that feedback to matter. Some teams make the mistake of finalizing a system behind the scenes and going straight to print, positive they've made something that's intuitive to learn and fun to play, only to find out that a disappointing number of players find parts of it more obtuse or tedious than expected. So, this is a team that won't call something totally done without giving the fans a say in that.

This resolved a lot of my doubts regarding this kickstarter: if they're going to ask, and get, feedback, then the system is prrrrobably not going to be a fossilized heartbreaker whose quirks the creators know from front to back because they've been playtesting it for fifteen years, but completely blindside the newbies.

Also there's a monster that's just a skull with a bunch of eyestalks coming out of it, and it's one of the most straightforward ones.

It's called Eyedra.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The doubts have cropped up again. I don't know if this will be good. I really hope it is. But why aren't they showing the rules, then?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I reread some updates of the Mortasheen kickstarter and ...

quote:

Everyone wants to know a lot more about the play mechanics, which is understandable; I'm the "art side" of Mortasheen, but then there's the folks handling 100% of the "gameplay side," tailored to try and best reflect how it would feel to live in the Mortasheen world.

They don't wish to fully spoil the system right away, but what I can pass along in this first update is a rough overview of your role as a player character.

so I guess they haven't followed a lot of RPG kickstarter campaigns, uh.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 28, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What are people's thoughts on backing the second edition of Urban Shadows from like, a moral standpoint? I am torn.

On the one hand, Truman did apologize, publically and in the infamous article, and I don't like the idea that if someone makes a mistake they can never be forgiven. Plus, Magpie Games posted this in the FAQ:

quote:

Is Andrew Medeiros involved in Urban Shadows: Second Edition?

No, Andrew and Mark have transferred the Urban Shadows brand and intellectual property directly to Magpie Games. Mark is still involved as designer and project lead, but Andrew is no longer working on the project and will not receive any further financial compensation for his initial contributions to the game.
So they are at least aware that he's a problem.

On the other hand, he's apparently still involved, so while they know he's a problem they are at least keeping him around (for now?). Plus, well, the situation with Zak S was absolutely terrible, just about the worst position one could possibly take in those circumstances. This should not be forgotten, and it's not like they made reparations in some way.

Thoughts?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

He also said this in a Q&A on the kickstarter when someone asked what the rules are:

Which um... I am pretty sure that's not how intellectual property works in relation to tabletop game rules?
Yeah, I was the one who asked him that question. I am not going to back out of the kickstarter, because I just love the world he's crafting that much, but I really really do wish this was being handled better.

quote:

You're referring to the time Mark Diaz Truman used the Magpie Games blog to "both sides" the people calling out Zak S's lovely behavior with two blog posts, where he later added hasty retraction to the top of the first one after Zak became too radioactive to be associated with? I'd call it an inadequate attempt to cover his rear end, at the most. It says a lot that he's not willing to remove the names of people he calls out in those blog posts, either, or apologize directly to them for the harm he did for shaming them before.

If you find that objectionable, I don't see a reason to support a game where he's still the designer and project lead.

...yeah, you're right. I think I just needed to hear this spelled out. I shouldn't give them my money.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

hi kickstarter thread, sorry I keep forgetting you exist
do you have an opinion on dungeon bitches
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dyingstylishlygames/dungeon-bitches-a-queer-ttrpg?ref=android_project_share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh that's right, I still haven't checked those! Do you have a link to that blog?