Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Rad Valtar posted:

I backed Robin Hood and His Merry Men almost immediately because my wife loves Robin Hood and Worker Placement is our favorite mechanic.

Shiiit, I was searching just last week for a Robin Hood game that wasn't Sheriff of Nottingham. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Two days ago I talked myself into buying a chinese bootleg on Aliexpress, on the grounds that the thing has been out of print for 10 years, and sells for over a hundred bucks now.

Today I find out that Z-Man is going to reprint Condottiere.

I have the best timing.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Agent Rush posted:

How much did your copy cost?

Just under :10bux:

The alternative was over a hundred on Amazon. Z-Man's new one will be $30, It'll have a bigger board and box size, which actually turns me off. The previous edition is ultra-portable, and the board does essentially nothing, so why have a big one?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Here's one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/265550568/folded-space-board-game-inserts-and-organisers-cam

Seems to decently ride the line between effort and expense for organizers. Cheapish, but you don't have to cut up a ton of foam.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1462222491/metropolis-a-board-game-for-2-4-players?ref=category&ref=discovery

"If Monopoly, Exploding Kittens, and Uno had a baby, this is what it would look like!"

I'm not entirely certain that was meant as a positive review.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

"Monopoly Auctions was created at the request of Mike Grey at Hasbro. 5 years has passed and we have been waiting for Hasbro to bring our game to life, with your pledge we can continue our journey to show Hasbro that there is an audience that equally enjoys this game. Monopoly Auctions was created from our "Not Your Average Joe's Card Game" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw_bxq6NyN8). By backing $25 or more, you will receive our version of Monopoly Auctions that plays exactly the same as "Not your average Joe". With your support the hope is that Hasbro will finally release Monopoly Auctions to the world. At that point all $25 or more backers will receive the Hasbro licensed version of Monopoly Auctions. Until then enjoy our version "Not your Average Joe" Thank you for your support.

As President and CEO of Little Big Games, I give my promise to fulfill my obligation to bring Monopoly Auctions into the market."

Oh guys, noooo.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I just purchased Flick Em Up Dead of Winter, hopefully I'll get to play it over the holidays. From what I can tell it's got much better rules and scenarios than vanilla Flick Em Up.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Any opinions on Oceans, the next game in the Evolution series?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/northstargames/oceans-a-standalone-game-in-the-evolution-series?ref=discovery_category

I've only played Evolution: The Beginning, so I can't say I have a firm grasp of how these games work. I'd love a game with tons of pretty fish, but I'm not seeing a particular reason to back now, instead of waiting for retail.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

GrandpaPants posted:

Get ready for more FOMO, since CMON will be releasing another Eric Lang Kickstarter:

I wonder if that will draw attention away from the Khemet kickstarter?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I'm not gonna lie, I'd really love to see the "there's got to be a better way!!"-type infomercial clip for the problems with regular dice that this claims to solve. They mention saving time, and something about situations where you don't have the elbow space(wtf).

Also, does it look more like a doorknob, or a buttplug? I can't decide.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I've seen a similar idea on kickstarter, dice coins. More of a top, really, but they seemed to take less time than this thing(Still more than just dropping a die, let alone doing it with more than one) because you were supposed to stop the spinning with your finger, and the result was the number to the left of your finger. They were marketed as a cute novelty, and they cost less than $5 each.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

And Ethnos is just begging for an expansion, and a map that isn't Slovakia.

Interesting that they've supported The Grizzled as well as they have. Was it that much of a hit?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah, and in a normal sane game market, the publisher would wait a while, see how their sales, did, and gauge the demand for an expansion. CMON(and tons of other kickstarters, sure, but they're the top dogs) puts out the expansion simultaneous to the base game, and tells people they have to buy it now before they know if they like the game, or they'll never be able to. They inflate demand by limiting supply. With Rising Sun, the expansion and the base game did both hit retail simultaneously, people were able to buy Rising Sun first, and guess what, they decided the expansion wasn't worth it. Like, yes, they're doing a good job at capitalism, which I think is your point, that doesn't make it not a lovely and exploitative process.

The fact that doing it the other way works for them makes me wonder what percentage of the boardgaming market would be considered whales.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah. but if you know what the demand might actually be, you can print fewer units.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

Canvas looks absolutely lovely.

It's incredibly gorgeous, but the exclusives aren't appealing enough for me to jump on it now. I'm gonna watch for it to show up on Amazon.

Also super pretty is Kodama Forest https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kodama-forest/kodama-forest/description

And the exclusives on that are actually good enough to get me to back, for a game that seems to be a prettier/faster/polyomino version of Between Two Cities/Castles. The other game in that line that I've played has been real nice too.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah, I don't recall them leaving out entire systems on their previous games, but they're actually pretty good about making theirs available afterwards. I'm just getting in on that so I don't have to.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

golden bubble posted:

Everything you just wrote could also apply to large roster fighting video games, and BattleCon, which attempts to replicate those large roster fighting video games. But BattleCon still plays well with prefect information because knowing how to play a unique fighter is way more interesting than losing because you didn't research their frame data/cards beforehand. If learning a character's basic mechanics was all that it took to understand a matchup, then the game is a very shallow game.

Basically, "Can I bait out your main offense without taking a hit?" is far more interesting than "I forget that character has a dash."

In a 1v1 game, sure. There is no way I would play a six player game with that much to keep track of.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

senrath posted:

So you're saying that instead of laboriously hand craft thousands of sets of dice they decided to lie and use a factory? I'm totally shocked :geno:

...yes, a lot of people assumed they would be doing that. If you actually read the thing, the interesting part is that they may have conned the factory out of R&D costs, and then run away when the process was figured out.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

That drat lei making game kept eating at me, and I had to go and open my big mouth.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

El Fideo posted:

That drat lei making game kept eating at me, and I had to go and open my big mouth.

Their response is nice and well-meaning, but still misses the point.

And some of their reasoning is just lousy.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

"we know it's wrong but we put it in because people like Moana" is pretty loving lame, actually. And what board game have you played where don't just refer to the resource cubes by their colors after a while? But if they were referred to that way in the manual, you'd probably think they were pretty lazy.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Please refer to the second half of my post.

There are sixteen character cards in this game. There are two human beings I can confidently say look Polynesian, and one of them is wearing a grass skirt and carrying a carved wooden spear.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

My shipment tracking for Kodama Forest hasn't had an update since it left San Francisco on the 4th, which probably means the fuckers put it on the slow boat. People in loving Finland are getting that game already.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I'm currently backing Veiled Fate.

It's the followup to the game Moonrakers, which a friend of mine backed and our group has enjoyed quite a bit(we're all teachers who are working over zoom these days, so we made a pact to not see other people). But I'm having trouble convincing myself that Veiled Fate is worth the bucks. There's a lot less in the box than Moonrakers, and you can talk about premium components all you want, but I'm looking at a hundred dollars with shipping, and that's the version with standees instead of minis. And without some of the cards...

So I might jump ship for CRASH OCTOPUS, because it's cheaper, and absolutely charming, and deluxe components in a flicking game means weird shapes, which they totally have. They seem to have thought of all the things they could do with this silly little dex game.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

It's entirely to throw other players off the scent, because you all essentially vote on what happens.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah it's real pretty, but not something I can justify. Just seems aggressively overproduced.

I'll stick with the Octopus, since they're not hiding content behind the upgrades.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Crash Octopus, the adorable flicking game from the same folks who did Tokyo Highway (NOT Tokyo Metro) is in its final 48 hours, and has unlocked all of its stretch goals.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

That person has microbadges for Karl Marx, Cornel West, and Doctors Without Borders.

Fascionating.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Arcsech posted:

Yyyyyyeah they've posted a ton of videos with folks not wearing masks, and they just recently had both a video where a number of employees admitted, on camera, to having come to work high, and a video where the CEO of the company tells a line worker to disregard safety regulations if he feels like it.

So my guess is they're in legal hot water for one or both of those things.

Having watched only the video where they poo poo on OHSA, and knowing nothing else about them, that guy gives major techbro vibes.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Pretty much, but they couldn't find a way to fit the moat pieces in.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

Collector’s Edition of Castles of Mad King Ludwig is up. A game I’ve never actually played, but have loved the idea of. I should probably get a normal version before looking at this and all its lovely expansions and towers and oh god

I really like the game. It gives you lots of opportunities to feel clever and make combos. The only thing that keeps it from getting regular play is the fairly involved set-up. if the trayzz make it significantly quicker, I'm in.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Oh man, how did we miss this one?

The US distributor for the Click Clack Lumberjack line lost the license, so they tried to kickstart their own! That has worse looking components. And uses quotes from reviews for CCL in the kickstarter campaign.

And now the owner of the company is posting snippy rants on social media about how really, don't ALL games take inspiration from the games that came before?

loving Mayday.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Claims they hired a designer to work a year on this version, but there's no designer credited on BGG...

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I never picked up Sentinels of the Multiverse, due to the reported fiddliness. Though I did get Sentinel Tactics for a song on Ebay because I needed some superhero minis. This new version looks pretty good.

Also someone upthread said something about the sleeves being ugly. I thought that too, but they're actually transparent, just in ugly packaging.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah, I don't need to spend $75 on sleeves I can get on AliExpress for $20

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

There's something magical about the moment someone presents their completed artwork to the group and has to read off the silly name the cards gave it. More games should have the opportunity to give out secondary prizes based on how aesthetically pleasingly you managed to do something. Everyone knows that the game of Carcassonne is truly won by the person who manages to build their city in the shape of a cock and balls, after all.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah, the question isn't "how the gently caress have they still not put Nightcrawler in it???" it's "how the gently caress much extra money are you going to pay for Nightcrawler?"

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Helpful goon Kestral also held a demonstration thread for Ironsworn last year to help people who got acquainted with it via the Itch mega bundle, which offered the Delve rules.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928109&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I was really worried when the Crash Octopus designers announced that they were shipping all their games individually through the mail from Japan, but it arrived safely and intact today. It is beautiful, I'm already trying to figure out what color scheme I want to paint on the octopus and tentacles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

What very little there is to see makes it look like they've taken the co-op dungeon crawler and turned it into a dungeon miner. The designer is Ole Steiness(lol, more like Old Steinless), the person who previously did Champions of Midgard.