Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
gently caress, I wrote a Fallout PnP adaptation back in... 1999? 2000? It's now on a free wiki and looks more baked than this. Hell, my original lovely MS Word layout is more baked.

Oh hey, I think he's just ripping off the wiki and trying to sell it. Huh.

E2: I backed for $1 so I can ask him about that. :)

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
In the Seattle area or the Pacific Northwest? Want to grab an Orcacon ticket at a discount? Interested in 3 days of gaming in January of 2017? Want to enjoy a game of Katanas and Trenchcoats run by Ryan Macklin? Get in on the Orcacon Kickstarter! There's only 11 hours left. They've already funded, so it's really just a great way to pre-buy tickets or get cool rewards at this point.

Orcacon puts a major emphasis on inclusivity - basically making female, LGBT, and disabled gamers feel welcome. I went last year and the gaming hall was a blast, I played almost nonstop from 10am to 10pm.

Bonus: I'll be running a wild west Call of Cthulhu scenario there - At the Cowtowns of Madness.

:getin:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

dwarf74 posted:

It's weird that "professionalism" and "reliability" and "getting poo poo done when you promised" are notable in this industry, but there you have it.

I've worked in the games industry since 2003 and that seems about right.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The Unknown Armies Backerkit is finally live.

Yay, I get to spend more money!

Edit: Oof, that's why I only bought digital versions. $65 to ship that 3-book set? What the gently caress.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 30, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Is it normal to get a Backerkit reminder every 24 hours for a Kickstarter you haven't closed out yet? drat that's annoying.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
For some reason I checked the Alas Vegas updates today and Wallis still hasn't posted anything since last November. There are several (dozen?) posts asking for money back, which seem to be going unanswered. Good designer or not, this is just terrible management and customer service, and I really hope people in the industry takes note, because drat.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

JazzFlight posted:

Oooooh, finally what we've been waiting for!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1817579974/pc-police-the-cure-for-political-correctness-gone

Time to take down those despicable "PC Police" through a lovely Monopoly-style board game!
:jerkbag:

I don't know what irks me more, the "no EBT cards accepted" dig at people receiving food stamps, or the use of two spaces after periods in the copy.

No, I lied. It's definitely the spaces.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Still only two backers? Who'da thunk.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Now I know what game to stock if I ever open a board game cafe in Joplin, Missouri.

That book too.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Imagine if Milo Yiannopoulos decided to start a Patreon or make a Kickstarted game about ... whatever he believes in.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
True, but I can see a fairly decent audience of Imgurians who would pay to kickstart a game about how dem feminists and SJWs are ruining everything with their trigger warnings and whatnot.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Got $197 to spare? Then you can get in on the ground floor of Monte Cook's latest Kickstarter!

:wtc:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cerepol posted:

So hopefully these won't be small books.
Curious what these cards are supposed to be.

This makes his blog post about sharing costs make a lot more sense.

I would (and did) handily shell out $200 for Delta Green because it's a known system and a known setting. It seems awfully bold to ask the same entry level for something untested. But OTOH people seem to be willing to pay it so what do I know.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

shoplifter posted:

edit: and yes, it's triggering my RPG lust even though I know it's just going to be another Monte heartbreaker

Upside: Dennis Detwiller works there now and is involved.
Downside: it's still called Monte Cook Games by Monte Cook.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kai Tave posted:

I'm pretty sure Games Workshop has at least five or six characters who have guns made out of demons lying around somewhere.

As does Felix Gilman's The Half-Made World (which is a fantastic book BTW).

jivjov posted:

Its an interesting paradigm shift; explicitly marketing a game to a group to buy in together, rather than to a GM

I feel like this was addressed in the episode of the Simpsons where Bart and Millhouse split the comic book.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Well 421 people are willing to try it, bringing them to half of their goal, in about 8 hours, so it's not like they won't make it.

Like I said, I would and have put that kind of money into gaming before - Delta Green, all of my Ravenloft poo poo. Even core D&D is a $120 investment just for the 3 main books if you pay full retail for them, so asking another $77 isn't THAT out of the question. My hesitation is that it's an unknown system in a new IP, and I guess I'd rather sink my money into something like DG, which I know I'll get $200 worth of gaming out of.

Edit: And I couldn't imagine splitting ownership with people in my gaming group. I guess we go by the old groggy "he who runs the game, buys the game" rule.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Numenera, The Strange, and No Thank You, Evil have all delivered more or less on time and have been decent products. The first two weren't my bag but I liked NTY,E and was very happy with it. It's not like this is going to be Alas Far West Vegas 2 or something.

Speaking of, every time I see GMS or James Wallis post on social media I have to restrain myself from snarking off about them finishing their Kickstarters.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Do you have obsessive-compulsive disorder about completing sets of dice? Or do you like odd-numbered dice? Then :getin: on the latest Impact Kickstarter, for the D13 and D15. If they hit $30,000 (which they likely will, D17 and D19 are game on.

I've backed every one of their funny dice kickstarters and have never been disappointed yet.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

LatwPIAT posted:

At one point in the RPG I'm designing I discovered that everything would be so neat if I could just get my hands on a d13...

Get in there.

I'm considering contacting him about doing a PDF of "tables that use your crazy dice" if the 17 and 19 get funded, so there would be cool things to do with each one. 13 Unlucky Encounters. 15 Folks You Find In A Town. 19 Unusual Weapons. That kind of thing. He could toss it in there as a stretch goal or something.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kwyndig posted:

Mine is Metamorphosis Alpha, and that at least partially delivered (PDF, still waiting on the physical book).

And Jamie Chambers has at least been communicative about progress, and his daughter has leukemia, which loving sucks. Despite that he's still made progress. It may be late, but it's so much better that Far West's bullshit, or Alas Vegas' flat-out disappearance.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
There needs to be some kind of quick reference guide to the shitbirds of the trad gaming world, like Zak S and RPGPundit.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Well, Hulu's got 4 seasons of the ITV series based on the books, with Fry as Jeeves and Laurie as Bertie.

There is no better introduction and the show is probably better than reading the books.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
That's a really interesting idea, but I'm not sure about the execution.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

clockworkjoe posted:

Trad Game favorite Greg Stolze just launched a new Kickstarter for a short story anthology: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gregstolze/thank-you-for-screaming?ref=friends_backed

I saw him teasing this yesterday on Twitter but missed the actual launch. He's done some of my favorite DG fiction so I'm all over this for a $5 ebook.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
No GURPS Illuminati University, no buy. :colbert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I really like Mike Selinker and respect him immensely, but his support of the Penny Arcade guys baffles me.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If you enjoy supporting games industry nepotism, Jordan Weisman's kid is running a kickstarter.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If you were holding off on backing the D13 / D15 kickstarter until you could get a complete set of all 20 dice that glow in the dark, have I got great news for you!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm sure that I'll use the glow in the dark feature as often as I'll use my D17. :getin:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

NTRabbit posted:

Maybe he played varsity basketball before deciding to accept the scholarship to the magic college

Next character concept found.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I parked a box in case I decide I have $200 burning a hole in my pocket in a couple of weeks.

Shane Hensley knows his poo poo, and I'm certain he would have checked into potential copyright infringement with the box.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It's not a Kickstarter project, but there's a new documentary on Netflix called The Dwarvenaut about the making of the Dwarven Forge 3D dungeon tiles. A couple of my pals have already watched it and apparently it's pretty great.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
He's also been extremely communicative and apologetic. And his teenaged daughter has leukemia.

Other super late creators could learn a lot from Jamie in terms of communication and transparency.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
You may very well be right. But you'd think at least James Wallis would have a similar amount of experience and would be more communicative and transparent too, but nope.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It's fun for 2-3 games with your buddies, but doesn't have much depth beyond that.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
A M*A*S*H RPG? Why not.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Isn't tor that super hosed up S&M rape fantasy setting?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
One of the first RPG kickstarters I backed was The Grand Temple of Jing. The same creator is back with The Dread House, a huge, haunted house adventure for Path, 5E, and.. COC? Grand Temple delivered a couple of years late but ended up being good in the end, and it looks like this one's WAY further ahead in development (apparently he was showing it off at GenCon this year.)

However - the miniatures and terrain pieces look rad, and I like the idea of him including what are basically custom dungeon tiles for this adventure too. And the prices for those add-ons are actually pretty good (you can also just pledge for the minis or house decorations if you like).

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Is "Follow" basically DramaSystem with less rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Holy loving poo poo.

Apparently Alas Vegas is done and in final layout right now.