Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm one of the people who didn't get transferred over to DTRPG for Alas Vegas, which sucks because I REALLY want to read the game! I guess I've waited this long, I can wait a few more hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Not yet, he's still getting the backer PDFs sorted out (there were a chunk that didn't get imported for some reason).

And yeah - that's why I backed it in the first place. Last Call is one of my favorite books ever.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Alas Vegas is trippy and as Tim Powers as hell. I will never be running or playing it so I read through the entire book (a big no no if you ever want to use it for a series of game sessions and it is VERY up front about that fact). It's loving brilliant and also so not my idea of a good time; but if you like storygames, holy poo poo is it your bag. I only backed it because I believe in good independent games and want to support their creators.

Holy poo poo, game did not disappoint.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I said it was brilliant. If I was more into storygames I would be grabbing four people right loving now and make them play it with me. Hell, I'll even be the Dealer for the whole loving campaign.

I play in a game that meets every 3 months or so, and we've been running a CoC Horror on the Orient Express game. The GM is a former video producer and always goes balls to the wall on theatrical effects - music, lights, sets. There's always some part of the game that takes place in another room that he's rigged up (for example, to be a WW1 U-Boat with real leaking pipes everywhere).

I'm gonna talk to him about renting a place for a weekend and running with that group, because that would be totally baller.

Ideal: getting a suite in Vegas for a weekend and actually running it there, over 2 days, with breaks for food and gambling in between. With a cocktail waitress to bring us drinks.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I've read Alas Vegas through carefully now and I'm really stoked to run this. I'm wary of overhyping poo poo I like, and there's a good number of things in the game that ring my personal bell (Vegas, tarot, magical realism, Tim Powers' Last Call, Hunter S Thompson, swanky lounge music). Even separating that from the rest of the game, the story is great and the structure of the narrative is goddamned near perfect.

I wish the Kickstarter didn't happen like it did and he was finished with the game before he ran it, but the end product far exceeded my expectations of what I'd get when I backed it. And that's tough because as a creative, I know what it's like to go for months at a stretch and not work on a project for all kinds of reasons - but that's also why I've learned never to give deadlines I can't make, or to try to sell stories or games before they're finished.

All that aside, I cannot loving wait to run this game, and I really hope my gaming group goes for the "let's get a suite in real Las Vegas for a weekend of gaming" route. Even if I never run it and just read it a few times, I feel like I got way more than my money's worth in fun and inspiration.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Flavivirus posted:

I've read through the flashback and conflict resolution rules and the first act, and it was certainly pretty promising. Have you had a look through the other three acts, then? If so, how much flex would you say there is in the narrative? Is it pretty railroady, or is there some opportunity for it to twist based on the character's actions? I'm a little worried from what I've read so far that it's mostly about soaking in the ambience of the place and the story rather than being the protagonist of a plot.

I'd say acts 1 and 4 are the most railroady, while 2 and 3 are way more theme park. The way I'd run this (knowing my group, who are a bunch of pulp-action murderhobos, and knowing how I like to tell a story) would be to do act 1 as kind of the "intro level" where they learn the game and the system (which is kind of what it's set up like), then open up the world a little bit in act 2 and 3 to let them off their leashes. Wallis even mentions this at one point, that you can extend act 2 to 2 (or more I suppose) sessions depending on how the group responds and does things. In theory you could run parts of act 2 indefinitely if you wanted to, but I like the idea of keeping the narrative going because it's so tightly written.

Edit: I'm going to plot out how I'd run this in the next few weeks so I can report back then if you'd like. /edit

That being said, this is definitely a game/scenario with a fairly fixed plot, and it won't be like, say, Masks of Nyarlathotep or game of Dungeon World. But there's definitely some room for going off the tracks as long as the major events happen and the players don't get bored.

I will say this: the first major spoiler/reveal happens about 1/3 of the way into Act 2, so if you don't want to know, stop reading with Act 1.

Although the clues are already there in Act 1.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Flavivirus posted:

Fair enough! Is the rotating GM thing important to the game? From act 1 it seemed mainly used to set up some sleight of hand around player expectations and ensure plot details aren't spoiled before their time.

That's it from what I can tell. I can see the rotating GM mechanic being super fun with an experienced group who all buy in (and who can all run a game worth a drat) but neither of my current groups are like that, so I'd just run it myself for all 4 sessions.

I'm also pretty good at not inadvertently giving away information to nosy players.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I do NOT generally like storygames and I love this one. Probably because it's written in a far more structured manner. The Fugue system with its Flashbacks to gain abilities is neatly done too.

Also the rotating GM is definitely set up to screw with player expectations.

This is actually a great point - I was focusing on the narrative as it's laid out in the book, but a MAJOR part of play is the Flashbacks.

Super minor spoilers for game structure so I'm going to black it out just in case:

The flashbacks build a second narrative that feeds into the "main arc," and is completely open and different every time you play the game because it's created by the Dealer and the players as they go, often as a result of the methods by which the players tackle various challenges. So in that case, it definitely removes some of the railroading and allows for more freedom and flexibility than I thought at first glance.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Zark the Damned posted:

Exploding Tit-tens

TG Kickstarter Thread 3: Exploding Tit-tens

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Wow, I wasn't expecting an answer from the designer himself. I'm sorry to hear about all this but I'm glad it's completed cause it is definitely something I want to pick up and run.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can rent a suite in Vegas and get my group down there for a long weekend of playing the whole thing with theatrical effects and everything.

Having a 6 month old baby isn't really conducive to that it turns out.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 18, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The perfect GM screen is one I can choose which tables I want quick reference to, and a whiteboard with a dry erase marker.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

That Old Tree posted:

That last is all the response he's got to "You take umbrage at being called a liar and people pursuing what meager legal action is available to them, but you swore you'd release whatever you have end of 2016." Stunning.

Will Far West be released? Find out in the exciting next episode: Another Blown Deadline.

Maybe if he spent less time making anti-Trump posts on Facebook and more time working, it would be done?

Says the guy blowing off writing to make anti-Trump posts on Facebook.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

I do appreciate that the free market is working as intended.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

unseenlibrarian posted:

So apparently the next game from Monkeyfun studios (The creators of Spirit of '77 aka the source of my avatar pic) I honestly figured that Bucnasti would have come by to tell everyone about already! But look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/bedlam-hall-a-macabre-victorian-role-playing-game

The setting pitch is Addams Family meets Downton Abbey, which basically sounds perfect for Dark Shadows.

Oh great, after swearing off Kickstarter for several months, that's two projects backed in a day.

(This looks so loving good).

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kwyndig posted:

Is this the first Pathfinder heartbreaker? The very idea is absurd.

You mean apart from all the official Pathfinder heartbreaking garbage?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ah, pregnancy rules, never understood why those aren't in d20 core. (Next, rules for bowel movements, important to track during long dungeon delves or overland griffon rides!) :v:

Have I got a d20 supplement for you

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Jedit posted:

This is the only RPG Kickstarter I ever backed - I don't role play much any more - and I'm glad for this update because I lost the original link without ever downloading it.

As much as I dislike FATE as a game system, Evil Hat's level of support and dedication to quality is fantastic and admirable.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Any other Alas Vegas backers want to weigh in on a rules question for me? I'd ask on the Kickstarter page but it's just a cesspit of "omg my print copy isn't here yet" negativity. This is how I understand it works:

Combat: you're playing blackjack with a couple of special rules. You want to make 21 without going over, just like real blackjack.

Everyone gets 2 cards face down. If you're using an ability, you get a wild card, also face down.

It goes around in a circle and players can hit or stand. If they hit, they get another card face down.

Once everyone has all their cards, they start turning cards face up to make hands and narrating what happens with images on the cards.

That's how I understand it works, but what do you do with the face-down cards you don't use to make your hands? How do you ever go over 21? Are you FORCED to turn up your face down cards, even if it puts you over?

E: I can actually just c/p the combat system text since it's CC licensed if that's OK, so I can get Opinions.

E2: FWIF I actually figured this out - a twist is the same as a hit, and those cards always come face up. You use all your face down cards except the wild card, as that's optional.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 23, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
In 20+ years of gaming as a postadolescent, I've had the actual act of sex come up exactly once, in the Way of the Wicked evil adventure path for Pathfinder. And it was rapey and gross and we all agreed it was a huge mistake.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Druggeddwarf posted:

EDIT: Oh almost forgot, any love for that sweet sweet robin hood action (from the guys that did Baker Street)?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fearlightgames/hood-swashbuckling-adventures-in-sherwood/description

Huh, that looks pretty cool. I liked Baker Street quite a bit and I'm a sucker for anything Robin Hood.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Oh nostalgia. I remember when Munchkin was funny, the first few times we played it back in 2004 or so.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I got my print copy of MASHED in the mail last night, and it looks fantastic! I didn't realize the pages were actually in color too. I may try to run a game of this at OrcaCon next year.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Is Gloomhaven that good? I'm almost convinced to back it just from the buzz here.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

GrandpaPants posted:

There's a lot of game to it and what I've played of said game is pretty good. I'm hoping that the scenarios get more creative than the monster closet type designs that I've seen thus far, but here's hoping!

From its description it kind of seems like what I wanted the Pathfinder ACG to be: a boardgame version of an RPG where you keep your character and build them over time and have fun adventures with your gaming buddies but don't need a GM to plan poo poo out.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'd be willing to bet they got so burned by the Horror on the Orient Express and CoC 7th Ed kickstarters and decided to just go this route, but I could be wrong.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

palecur posted:

TLDR: a perfect storm of poor planning and getting brutally hosed by raised shipping rates.

This, and I'd add "batshit crazy amounts of stretch goals and add-ons" that they didn't consider the costs of actually producing. It's a good case study for "make your stretch goals as low cost as possible."

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

clockworkjoe posted:

Transhuman sci-fi horror RPG, Eclipse Phase is running a Kickstarter to launch a second edition: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/507486226/eclipse-phase-second-edition/description

I wrote some setting material for EP2 and have worked on the last 3 books. This edition aims to streamline the mechanics so it's easier to learn and run.

Sup fellow EP2 writer! :hfive:

My favorite change in second edition is that resleeving is a much more streamlined process. There's some other really cool poo poo too!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

adhuin posted:

Uh oh! Better not quote that post for mockery:
"This press release may be reprinted, reposted, linked and shared for the sole purpose of advertising, promotion and sales solicitation."

Someone doesn't understand how press releases work.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
You're talking about the co-designer of Delta Green and the designer of Unknown Armies.

I suspect this has layers.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
In other news, I ran the first two acts of Alas Vegas this last weekend for my Call of Cthulhu group. They went off-script, which isn't surprising, and a great time was had by all. The one thing I'd say about it, is that the whole narrative aspect of playing blackjack in combat and narrating what you're doing based on what comes up on every card you turn over tended to slow things down. It didn't make the game less fun, but I'd planned on around 9 hours for both acts, and I ended up having to trim a good part of Act 2 because it took us about six hours to get through Act 1.

I'm still very glad I backed it and the big reveal at the end of Act 2 was an enormous, awesome surprise for the group.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Flavivirus posted:

Hmm, fair enough - I did wonder if that'd be a stumbling block. Did you shift GMs between sessions or are you planning on running all of it?

I was going to run all of it since the only other one of us who's worth a drat as a GM just ran Horror on the Orient Express over the course of the last two years, and he wanted a break. So I'm not sure how much that's "breaking" the game. We also have five players plus the GM, when the recommended number is four, but even with one extra combat takes longer than you'd expect. If I had it to do over again I'd just have people say one action per round and then play blackjack, rather than trying to narrate everything with every card.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

I didn't realize someone could make a shittier version of Illuminati, but there you go.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Remember the The GM’s Real-World Reference book from like, several years ago? They are making a sequel:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1395430458/archive-historical-people-places-and-events-for-rp?ref=user_menu

It's like a curated list of neat historical stuff that you can rip off for games, which is my jam anyway.

I liked the The GM’s Real-World Reference so I'm willing to drop :10bux: on the pdf. They seem to be stuck at ~80% of their modest $6k goal with 4 days left and I'd hate to see them miss it.

I really enjoyed the GM's Real-World Reference and I wasn't going to back this one, but I'd hate to see it not fund. What the hell, I'll spend a couple of lattes on a PDF.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I don't want to dogpile on here, but I write for a living. I also suffer from bipolar disorder, and if my meds aren't working and I'm in a lovely place, there's zero creativity coming out.

HOWEVER, I'm also very open about telling bosses, clients, etc. about that, and setting expectations appropriately. If that's what's going on then I feel nothing but sympathy for the man. He should just be upfront about it and say "yeah, I'm in a bad place, sorry, it'll get done when it's done!" Because setting unrealistic deadlines that you then miss is a self-fulfilling prophecy for someone already depressed: "I know what will work, I'll finish this thing by next week! Oh god I missed it I'm so worthless! I know what will make me feel better, I'll finish this thing by next month!" And that just sucks.

It breaks my heart because I believe he's a really good guy, and he constantly sets himself up for more pain and failure. And man, that's hard to watch, especially when it's a behavior you yourself have worked really hard to overcome.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

homullus posted:

Assholes are not immune to mental illness.

Correct, and I can feel empathy for him and think he's a total self-sabotaging bag of dicks at the same time.

I have no idea if he is mentally ill or not. The only thing I have to go on is that writing when you're fighting the black dog is drat near impossible, so that is one potential explanation for what's going on, and if it is the case, I feel sorry for what he's going through. His actions are his own responsibility though, and he seems to not be able to do anything but self-sabotage at this point.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Impermanent posted:

It's cool for feel sorry for someone in GMS's position in an abstract way. I seriously don't begrudge people who feel a need, spiritual or otherwise, to empathize with jerks online, its just what some people choose to do with their limited emotional and mental resources.

People are literally theorizing that a jerk who made off with people's money has a mental illness, though, which is the worst, most misguided form of empathy I can imagine. Most of my friends have a mental illness of some variety and none of them have ever ripped off thousands of nerds. Don't contort GMS into a mentally ill victim. It's cruel to those who actually have mental illness to lump them in with some guy who can't finish writing the grappling rules for his traced-art cowboy game. Even if he were mentally ill, your empathy should be independent of that - either you feel bad for losers who self-sabotage or you don't. There's nothing intrinsically ennobling about mental illness.

I don't disagree with you. I had exactly one professional encounter with him back in 2005, and he was perfectly polite to me. I occasionally bump into him in Facebook conversations and he's kind of just another angry mouthy liberal, which is fine because I can be too on my off days.

drat right there's nothing ennobling about mental illness, and self-sabotage sucks. People with mental illness still have to take some level of responsibility for themselves and their actions. gently caress, I don't even know if he is mentally ill. The thing I can do though is empathize with someone self-sabotaging because I do it to myself all the loving time and it blows.

Totally unrelated: has anyone heard anything about Rise of Tribes? I got emails that a bunch of people I follow on KS backed it, and I've never heard of it. The Deluxe Edition looks kind of cool.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

This game Clink is interesting. All resolution is done using coins, and characters are continually having flashbacks to develop their back stories. It's pretty cheap, so it might be worth it. Also, it has a draft available to see its mechanics.

That's right up my alley, thanks!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Did the Props from Masks of Nyarlanthotep KS ever deliver? If so, is there a place to buy the package online somewhere? I may be about to run the adventure and I'd love to grab one.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

yegods posted:

It did, and I have one that I wouldn't mind selling if you're interested... PM me, or msg here.

Rad, PM sent, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

LordAba posted:

Just... how do I get to the point of taking money without delivering anything. I'm great at doing nothing! But people at my work are always insisting I do stuff because I'm "reliable". It sucks.

Goondolences on having a set of ethical standards.