Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

...people read their RPGs? :confused:

I know, right? Bunch of deviants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Swagger Dagger posted:

The Burning Wheel Codex showed up today, and the physical quality is really good, pretty much exactly the same as Gold. I can't wait to dig into it and see how the material was revised.

Nice, I'm looking forward to that. Haven't gotten a shipping notification or anything, though.

On the other hand, I got my copy of Manhattan Project: Chain Reaction, so that's neat.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
He found some wizard words, there's an update about shipping today. I guess they had some go out while Luke was waiting on his box for signing or whatever.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

Dammit, the shipping info on my copy has been stuck on "pre-shipping info sent to USPS" for a week now. :argh:

Same! Mayhapes we're required to conjure a missive to the high wizard?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

From what I've heard, it's because the guy doing the shipping is apparently at GenCon.

Well that's not magical at all. :colbert:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Peas and Rice posted:

If you enjoy supporting games industry nepotism, Jordan Weisman's kid is running a kickstarter.

That game looks like it would be fun once.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Still better than Donjon. :v:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Just got my copy of Roll Player, and it looks really nifty!

Also a bag of 73 hefty dice has a nice feel to it. :rolldice:

I ended up buying a copy of this after checking out the campaign and watching Radho's video. It looks really solid.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I got my "The Works" copy of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles board game yesterday. Looks pretty cool! Hopefully it's actually fun, if it is, I'll probably commission a friend to paint the minis.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think just the tail is a dong? I'll leave confirmation as an exercise for the reader.

We tried out the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game last night and it seems really solid. My group really enjoyed the way the action economy works and the variety of abilities. The first encounter's not great, but it's quick and a good intro to the mechanics. We had a group of 5 and we're all excited to try the next encounter.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Well, I mean, if things get too bad, you can just throw the book at them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JazzFlight posted:

Speaking of minis, the Darkest Night KS had an update where they showed of their factory samples and they looked kinda underwhelming.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/567823005/darkest-night-second-edition-0/posts/1783761

I guess it's to be expected of a company's first minis game, but it's disappointing since the project's delivery date is now July. At least it has a good game behind it (from what I've read), regardless.

I skipped the minis. The standups in the 1st edition are great. Shame the minis have screwed up the timeline, I was looking forward to the new edition.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

I really wish project owners wouldn't put stuff like that in the comments because unless you're going there daily you probably won't see it. Just throw it in an update so everyone knows! :argh:

That said: oh man I hope I get mine soon. This is one of my most anticipated KS rewards aside the MST3k revival.

I got mine a few days ago. Shipping wasn't super kind to the DM screen/slipcover, but no worse than its first trip in a bag.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I really liked Manhattan Project and the card-game variant Chain Reaction, so this looks like an easy pick. I'll probably snag Energy Empire as part of it, too.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 16, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Was thinking about it, but I can't afford it after AEGIS and the Roll Player expansion.

I was not aware there was a Roll Player expansion! Backed the hell out of that.

Also looking really hard at Hand of Fate.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just got my copy of Blades in the Dark's special edition. It's gorgeous. Really slick presentation, no text on the outside at all, just a pair of abstract knives on the front and two symbols on the spine. Has a satin finish, too.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's quite good. I've found it a touch long, but it's a pretty interesting drafting game.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I decided to go for the books over just PDFs, too. Fragged Empires is a really clever game and will probably end up being the next thing I run, if that ever happens. The new settings and ideas will almost certainly be equally interesting.

EM's sold me on a bunch of games. An absolute menace of good taste in games.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, it's like 40 USD per book if you get all three, before shipping. Considering how much Fragged Empires costs to get a hardcopy of, that's downright reasonable.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

unseenlibrarian posted:

Gonna be honest, I've been playing RPGs in different venues since before Drow PCs were even a thing and literally never seen someone roll up with a Drizzt clone either, just people reflexively cringing at the idea that it -might- happen.

Next PC, Drow who dual-wields killing words.

Is he talking out of both sides of his mouth?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

The_Doctor posted:

The Shipwreck Arcana is in its final 48 hours, and looks like a nice cheap fun game. P&P is available on their campaign page so you can totally try it out first.

It looks pretty good. I like deduction games like this and could use another one to mix up with Hanabi.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Vaguido posted:

There's a new kickstarter for a hidden role game called Human Punishment that seems pretty okay. It looks like a more streamlined version of Bang. I'm mostly backing it because the art really caught my eye, but it looks like it will at least be a decent social deduction game.

It's looks like a weird blend of Good Cop Bad Cop, Werewolf, and Bang. I thought it just looked like GCBC, but then I saw everyone had a role and it has the potential for neutral players. Looks interesting if your group's played all the relevant games. I'd be worried about first-time social deduction game players, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It looks okay, but yeah, doesn't seem particularly inspired and the D&D stats are a little mystifying. I really enjoyed Uncharted Worlds for my PBTA space opera and this doesn't do much interesting that it doesn't.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
On a more positive note, I ended up backing Black Hole Council and Moveable Type 2e, since they both looked pretty enjoyable.

Also Darkest Night 2e just arrived from China, after the loving debacle that was the miniatures has been resolved. I'm so glad I skipped those, goddamn.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone have any thoughts on Everdell? It looks really interesting. Kind of reminds me of Manhattan Project's market row/tableau builder/worker placement hybrid design. Except hopefully less... uh... grudge inducing. I love Manhattan Project, but that game is intense.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like that gem d20. I can definitely appreciate the appeal of those sets, as another person who owns a poo poo load of dice. I ended up with an almost complete set of CoC dice from the KS a while back.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 8, 2018

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I like Victory Point Games, but I knew enough about miniatures kickstarters to avoid the new minis for Darkest Night 2e.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
This may be the quickest I've backed a Kickstarter in years. A second edition of Summerland with new art and a new engine. Easily one of my favorite RPG books in my collection, the setting's something really cool. The rules were a bit too light, so hopefully the new one's a bit more substantial, but that sounds like it's the main reason for the new edition. It's a variant of Open D6, which seems straightforward enough at first glance.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 20, 2018

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Since a few people seemed to have questions about the flow of Summerland, I asked Greg about it and he posted an update with a little bit about the D6 system and a description of the flow of a campaign.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mr. Maltose posted:

I wouldn't say that Red Shirt's connotation is necessarily sinister, as such.

It's only sinister if you're the one in the red shirt.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I considered that KS for a second, but then I remembered it was Munchkin. Hopefully we'll get more actually good games like Shadows of the Past.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Summerland's almost done. It's got a bunch of PDF rewards of adventures and the like. Looks like it should be a good time.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 23, 2018

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Also there's almost nothing about the game. It honestly kind of sounds like a weird mashup of Donjon's compared dicepools and Polaris's GMless adjacent-player narration.

Which... uh, sounds kind of cool in an outsider art kind of way, now that I've said it like that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, that seems to be the theme lately. I just saw Wingless and it's got all the hallmarks of a Apoc-era heartbreaker. The theme seems interesting (you're all guardian angels), but they want 15 bucks for a pdf, 20 for a exclusive extra playbook, and 30 for three extra TBD ones beyond that. All with no art examples, 40% of the book not done, and no examples of playbooks. It doesn't even list the stats, just the core moves.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 13, 2018

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Kai Tave posted:

Also, and I don't want to cast aspersions because I'm hardly the sort of person to think that any amount of money is unimportant, but why is he setting his funding at $500? That's an oddly low amount even for a passion project you don't expect to make a profit on because in terms of a budget it practically is nothing. Is he doing all his own art? All his own layout? It doesn't look like there's any sort of hardcopy version being offered, it's all pdf, so at least there aren't any shipping or fulfillment costs to worry about, but if you're going to Kickstart a game why set your funding threshold so low? This dude's gonna get less than a thousand bucks out of this and I'm guessing the result is going to be extremely half-assed.

I didn't even notice that. Yeah, that's a pretty low bar to have to clear and wouldn't even cover a decent week of work, a piece of art for the cover, and an hour or two with an editor if he just squeaks by with the 700 he already has.

Shattered Tower looks like another heartbreaker, but it's like 11 bucks for the PDF tier, which isn't too bad at all. Again, no rules sampling for the mechanics and it's a generic-sounding d6 system. Almost certainly wouldn't back it, but it has nice art and I like the ideas its presenting, at least. They also seem like they did their homework on how much things are going to cost, which is always nice to see.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Don't forget the 500 euro tier that gets you a virtual meeting with some first time game designers!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I was unprepared for how quickly Summerland got turned around. The KS finished last month and he sent out the vouchers for the PoD books and PDFs today. Got in my orders for the fancy hardbacks, so that'll be cool when they eventually show up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
At least Axes and Anvils is just dead instead of playing with my heart.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Sunset over Water is really enjoyable. It's one of those games that looks super chill and friendly, then you realize that it can be significantly more aggressive as you cut people off. I really enjoyed Herbaceous, so I guess I'm in for this.

I also ended up going for Empyreal, since it seems like a good addition to my collection. I do need to thin mine out a bit, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
There's nothing inherently wrong with building your own playbook. I really like the way Uncharted Worlds lets you use pieces (an Origin and two Careers) to build a playbook. Each has a set of advancements and moves and they set your goals for gaining XP.

Goddamn, that character sheet for Happiest is something else, though.