Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, 4e charop was mostly "that thing you want to do? Take the stuff that works with it". The keywords and Insider/CBLoader were two of the big reasons I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm still not convinced the average Kickstarter runner understands those things.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

madadric posted:

I've opened my Kickstarter for Imulse Drive!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743149756/impulse-drive

Impulse Drive is a space opera roleplaying game about Misfits and Spaceships, using the Powered By The Apocalypse engine, popularized by games like Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, Dungeon World, and Masks. Play as a crew of volatile, bombastic scoundrels and troublemakers as they navigate dangerous situations involving deadly environments, untrustworthy NPCs, and strange aliens.

This campaign will raise the funds to pay some very skilled professionals familiar with RPG design and Kickstarter funded publishing and turn Impulse Drive into a fully realized Print on Demand book, printed and distributed through Drivethu RPG.

Impulse Drive is rules complete. If you want to check the game out before backing, the Preview version of Impulse Drive is available through Drivethru now. This link will always have an art-free version of the most up to date rules available as Pay What You Want, so that people who cannot afford to buy the game can still play.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190933/Impulse-Drive-Preview

Goon-run PBTA space opera basically has my attention, but what does this do that Uncharted Worlds doesn't? Because Uncharted Worlds is really drat good. Similar overall idea and sharing an illustrator kind of forces the comparison.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Also up today is the expansion for Everdell, which my group really enjoyed.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starlinggames/pearlbrook-the-first-expansion-for-everdell

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, someone in my gaming group bought it almost immediately after playing it once. It's definitely good.

Also axolotl meeples.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

jivjov posted:

From the mind that gave us Secret Hitler comes the Voight-Kampff test from Blade Runner: the board game

Definitely backing that the second I get home. That looks intense.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I do want those things, I think you'll find.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Also it's like 35 bucks, which is surprisingly reasonable. I fully expected that to be crazy expensive.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My copy of Key Flow showed up yesterday. My group likes Keyflower and drafting games, so I'm predicting a hit. Does seem significantly less brutal and cutthroat, but we'll see how it goes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'll take hiding goatse in things over cryptonazis, frankly.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Crud, I missed it, hopefully they do a BackerKit or something.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Can't help but notice a render of dice, but no rules preview. Cyberpunk as gently caress.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Dis/Connect sounds 100% up my alley. Rambling transhumanist diatribes as a mechanic? Sign me up!

Also, I'm very tempted to pick up the new Ninja Turtles games that went up, since I really liked Out of the Shadows, but I really need to downsize my board game collection and it's really expensive because of all the minis.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

jivjov posted:

This is only tangentially a Kickstarter thing...but if you backed the Kickstarter for that Burning Wheel supplement book, check your email; BWHQ just announced a revised edition of Burning Wheel Gold with all errata fixed, a couple new tweaks, and what looks an awful lot like the super neat debossed cover the supplement book had.

Oh, and during preorder period, it's only $15.

Was this for the Codex? I haven't gotten anything. I'd be pretty tempted.

Oh, it's just up on the store. https://www.burningwheel.com/burning-wheel-gold-revised/

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Looks like they're doing a reprint of Key Market. They really did a mixed job announcing it. Apparently R&D didn't get how updates went out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/breese/key-market-ii

Also, gently caress me, Glen More 2? I just got rolled on my taxes. :(

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funtails/glen-more-ii-chronicles/description

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 26, 2019

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mojo Jojo posted:

The chap who did deep space d6 has a new social deduction game on t'Kickstarter, Jumpship

It's a token based game where you draw 2 a turn and give them to other players. Some tokens advance the clock and then you can airlock/quarantine other players.

Seems like a fun twist on the resistance but it's $40 with shipping which seems pricey. Maybe the tokens are ultra fancy like iron clays...

I tried the print and play with 5 last night. I wasn't majorly impressed. Part of it was definitely using slips of paper for tokens ending up with a bit of clustering, but but it doesn't feel like there's a ton of info floating around at any point. You're supposed to quarantining and killing players at certain junctions, but we managed enough for two scans which were done by alien players, so welp. Definitely not impressed enough for the price tag.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Finally, a game about efficiently shipping cats to the New World!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That does sound pretty fun, I backed yesterday to get that sweet early bird discount.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm disappointed every time I learn it's not a game about playing Root.

That would be way more up my alley. This makes me wonder what games would be good for that style of cyberpunk.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, that Fae circus game from the Bakerses looks goddamn amazing. Just reading the playbooks got me hooked, it's really evocative and tells you exactly what sort of stories the game is going to be good at.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm kind of intrigued by the Hyper Light Drifter RPG kickstarter, but I don't know that the system sounds that solid. Might be worth picking up the setting book, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Quidthulhu posted:

A friend of mine is the driving force behind this and he does real quality work. He also put together the Baby Bestiary for 5e, if anyone is familiar with that. Dude has been hitting the pavement for theist 5-10 years in the independent RPG/supplement market and if there’s a project I’d recommend supporting, it would be any of his!

e: and by driving force I mean “literal project creator Andreas is my bud” :v:

I'm sure he's cool and I like the overall design, but I found the playtest layout not particularly conducive to actually figuring out what the system was. I don't really see why one would use a d20 for a system like this, makes the whole thing seem really swingy for how precise the game can be.

I also didn't like having to provide payment info for a playtest doc. I get that it's on his storefront, so it's not a dealbreaker, just was glad I could use GPay instead of having to enter something.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

homullus posted:

You are asking this about a hobby where people will buy something solely because it has a picture of a d20 on it?

I'd have been less bothered if it was just some bad d20 game, actually!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Looks like a pretty serious update to the Hyper Light Drifter playtest doc. I like the tweaks to the energy system, it makes a lot more sense to me now. Still not totally enamored with how swingy checks look, but it all seems pretty sensible and like it'd flow well.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Flavivirus posted:

Ayup, DriveThruRPG print proofing can be a real pain in the rear end. Good job on getting this to the finish line!

In other news - I'm launching my new kickstarter later today, and thought I'd give the thread an early preview in case there were any glaring errors or weirdness. Voidheart Symphony is a game I could easily summarise as 'What if Persona 5 followed through on its themes and respected queer identities' - it's about a group of regular people who find out that an evil labyrinth dimension is empowering their city's worst predators, and decide to raid it and steal their power.

It draws on a lot of the Castlevania-emulating dungeoneering rules I put into Rhapsody of Blood, while adding in a mundane world investigation phase that draws on Spire and Ironsworn. I'm very happy with it, and hopefully it finds an audience? So yeah, check it out if you like!

This is 100% my poo poo. Great presentation and it hits a lot of the notes I love from Don't Rest Your Head, and Unknown Armies.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Glitch looks really interesting, I always loved the premise of Nobilis and still have my copy of 3e on my RPG shelf. I bought it on a whim years ago from a local bookstore and it's up there with Polaris for "incredible premise that I have no idea how to get players for". Probably in for a physical copy when I get around to it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Memnaelar posted:

Unsettled closes in about 5.5 hours. I'm pledged but it was only as of a few minutes ago and I'm back and forth on it. I do think it's likely a better solo experience and a better overall experience than Vindication, which I also backed, and I'm sure the production quality will be top-notch. I like co-ops and the theme quite a bit. So why am I so... enh about the backing? Discussion about it here has been non-existent as far as I recall. Anyone else backing or staying away?

I didn't really feel like the campaign gave me a good feel for how the game actually works, so I'm passing on it. Plus, honestly, I've been avoiding backing new games, since the second TMNT one and Empyrial are going to be showing up soon and taking up a ton of space.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 8, 2020

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Speaking of giant games, apparently my copy of Empyrial is out for delivery. RIP any remaining space I had for games.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JazzFlight posted:

Add to that the possible damage to the game before it even got shipped:

I've got a few slight scuffs here and there and my boxes got some minor shipping damage, but nothing game-altering.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, I did a spot check and I'd say I'm either one of the undamaged productions or they just have higher standards of what's acceptable. There are some extremely minor scuffs on the deluxe boards that show up since they're black, but that's unavoidable wear and tear on any material like that. No ink leaks or stuck together punchboards like they were warning about.

I did end up with some punchboard glue issues on my expansion, after going through it. Also a few nicks on the inside of a a Deluxe board.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Empyreal is a pretty hefty lad. Once you get it organized, though, setup and teardown is pretty slick.

Also got my copy of the TMNT Adventures games. Little annoying it completely obviates the old Out of the Shadows box, but all the new stuff is neat. I went all-on and got a 25lb package.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Has Jenna put up what's going to be special about the limited edition print PDF for Glitch?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rand Brittain posted:

It's going to be a trad print run, basically. And it might have a separate cover, although she's not completely certain that the colorful cover looks good in hardback so I'm not sure yet. Internally the print run and the final version of the PoD should be the same.

Speaking of which, the Glitch Kickstarter ends at 8 AM on Thursday and needs about seven thousand more dollars to unlock the full art budget.

Alright, I'll go for a potentially cooler print run version, then!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

theironjef posted:

Can anyone tell me if the IDW AUGS board games are any good? Because I am a sucker for Batman: The Animated Series stuff and that game is siren-songing me on looks alone.

I liked Shadows of the Past a lot and the new TMNT Adventure system game fixes a lot of the problems I had with it. The co-op AI is really easy to work with, meaning you don't have to 4v1 it if you don't want to. That introduced some tension in my group because of how obnoxious all the "stop the running character" missions were.

I've done the first tutorial and even with Alopex's horseshit dodge gimmick it was really fun two-player with each of us controlling two turtles against the AI. Does take up a shitload of space, I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to put a second set of this madness.

The heart of it's the hero 'teamwork' mechanics. You roll three dice and your neighboring players get to share one with you, so you get 5 action dice worth of stuff every turn. Everyone also has unique powers selected from a set of special moves, so they all encourage different playstyles. In 4v1 you alternate turns with the villain player, where they have a hand of cards that gives them their actions. In co-op, there's an intiative deck that tells you when a given player or enemy class acts. In co-op, the enemies have AI rules since it's more combat-focused than SOTP. So gunners go after the person with the most HP, foot soldiers go after lowest, some characters go after who has the most Focus, etc.

I went all in on this one, too, mostly for the mashup potential. Hopefully people come up with some fun scenarios to blend the two.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 23, 2020

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

The_Doctor posted:

Coming soon: DM advice dice! For when you want to ask ‘are you sure?’ to your players.

Dice that are fun and not a hundred dollars for a set? Sold.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying out my copy. I have a board game group full of roleplayers, so I'm hoping it goes over well. One is an actor and cyberpunk nerd, so I'm sure he'll love it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Well gently caress, the Starlight Kickstarter actually looks good. Little bit BSG for setting, little bit Gloomhaven for persistence, from what I can tell. Also optional minis. So you can save like 50 bucks if you don't care about painting spaceships.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mccaskellgames/starlight-2/description

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

GrandpaPants posted:

It looks like it's blowing through its stretch goals, though, so that's something. Anyone back their previous project and can say anything about the game/service? I'm wary about the combination of minis + apps + oh yeah an actual game.

I was at least heartened by the fact that the minis are optional, unlike the IDW KSes (that I keep backing :gonk:). I'm skimming the rules and I really like what I'm seeing. Ship and pilot customization, away missions with exploration and storytelling, seems really cool. I wouldn't mind knowing more about the other KS, either, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

pseudodragon posted:

At least you get a good workout lugging your 10 pound dice bag everywhere.

Jokes on them, I already was!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I ended up scrapping my pledge for Starlight, it didn't really do anything for me over the course of the campaign and I don't honestly need another huge campaign game taking up space in a year.