Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Even if I hadn't been primed based on the conversation, a frog giving an OK symbol at that angle is 100% alt-right signalling. Combined with the caption, at least. I guess there's some room to quibble because of the reference photo they basically traced, but still.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

lilljonas posted:

yeah that's not a random accident, that's a glib "look at me hehehe" thing

Oh, definitely. It's just a slightly better smokescreen than usual. Then I read the thread on BGG and all benefit of the doubt just magically evaporated somehow.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 10, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
He's really sticking his neck out commissioning that kind of art.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

That Old Tree posted:

Holy poo poo, $111k / 20k instantaneously.

I got three different emails about this from different sources today, they definitely have the marketing down.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I know Jackhole Wizard Luke Crane ain't exactly a fan-favorite around here anymore, but, unless I missed it, I'm still a bit surprised nobody posted about the Torchbearer 2E physical stuff showing up a bit ago. I got the GM kit and it's one of the nicest RPG products I own. Just gorgeous production values. Gilt edges, embossed covers, iridescent symbols on wooden dice. Not to mention the coins. Basically, less Luke, more Thor going forward works for me if this is what we get.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My copy of the IDW Batman game finally showed up. loving wild how much poo poo I have for AUGS now. Now to rope some people into playing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm pleased to announce that Mutants in the Now has completed fulfillment!

All physical backers should have books headed their way, along with pre-orders on or prior to January 9th. Similarly, All digital rewards have been released.

The book is available digitally on itch.io and DriveThruRPG, or physically at the j/k! Games store. If you have any issues, you can contact me at jkgamesbiz AT gmail DOT com.

I want to thank all my backers who made this possible! Despite a rough year of personal loss and resulting delays, nobody backed out, and I'm glad to see some folks already have the game on their doorstop.

But it isn't over here; I'm looking forward to announcing what's next!

I got mine today! Book looks awesome!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Seems like it fits in pretty well!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jihad Joe posted:

Oh poo poo son get that road hogs in my veins.

I didn't actually back this but it was always on the back burner. Recommended then?

Edit: mutants in orbit and Avalon were also rad but wierd as hell.

I still need to go through it properly, but it seemed cool.

I learned today that I'm actually missing like 5 books. I thought I had everything, but a lot of lists didn't include Transdimensional or the After the Bomb stuff.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 20, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also, since I forgot to mention and it's super relevant, jealous of that first-printing copy of TMNT&OS.

I've had the thing for years, don't even know where I got it. I didn't even realize there was another edition, but I can see why. Fuckin' yikes.

Gotta love a gave where your awesome talking biker dog can be traumatized into becoming a pedophile. What the gently caress, Palladium?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm more interested in just seeing the original layout than the expurgated insanity tables, honestly.

To be absolutely clear, Mutants in the Now has no insanity rules and aims to be inclusive; it has open discussion of things like safety tools, disabilities, violence, and responsible mutant animal behavior. Hell, I even did an arachnid-free version for a backer that requested it, because why not?*

* Actually this ended up being harder than expected but it all worked out well.

Anything specific you want to see?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jimbozig posted:

Well, I just relaunched Ariadne and Bob. I'm doing this as an experiment across three platforms: KS, itch, and IGG. I'm very curious to see how this goes.

It strikes me that the main downside to spreading out like this is that the lower total on any one site could hurt you in the algorithm and perception. So it might limit your upside and potential to break out big. But since this game already failed to make the goal I set the first time around, I don't see that as a big concern.

So I'm going to see if my backers prefer to use an alternative to KS, and if either of the other platforms can attract more people that didn't see it the first time around.

https://kickstarter.com/projects/jimbozig/ariadne-and-bob-second-chances/
https://igg.me/at/AandB
https://jimbozig.itch.io/ariadne-and-bob

If you missed it the first time around, you should check it out! I'm crowdfunding to pay for contributions from our very own Ettin and Vel Mini who you all know and love, and also Jason Pitre (Sig: City of Blades), Nick Butler (Tidebreaker), and Austin Ramsay (Beam Saber). After those are paid for, the money will go to pay for art from Ferrinus, who did this awesome cover art that really shows off the sort of characters you'll play when you play this game:

Backed again!

On the subject of incredibly long-running KickStarters and Austin Ramsay, is this going to be shipped before Beam Saber's physical edition? :v:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jimbozig posted:

I know you're being tongue-in-cheek, but it relates to something that I think about a lot that I think everyone in this thread has seen examples of when it comes to crowdfunding: "More money more problems."

I've never managed a large team on a game - I had 3 artists on Strike! and one was my wife. I worked with a couple of folks who helped me with templates for layout, but I did most of the grunt work myself. If I ever raise $80,000 for one of my games like Austin did, I'll be in for a whole slew of new problems and challenges. He's dealing with more artists than I was, relying on someone else for a full-on fancy layout job which is obviously very time-consuming. He's doing a real print run, and dealing with shipping and logistics during this time when global logistics are hosed. I've only ever done POD - I send a file to DTRPG and then my work is done. I like that. I like that I can mostly just write and revise the games and don't have to be a "businessman" or an "entrepreneur". I have a day job that I like. Having one of my games explode in popularity would be exciting and great for me, but also terrifying. More money more problems is absolutely real when it comes to publishing.

As a quick example, when I was picking dates for delivery for this Kickstarter, I picked dates that were slightly earlier than I had picked for the first Kickstarter despite the fact that it's ending a month later. That's because on the first one I wasn't sure how much I'd raise and I had to account for the risk that I'd end up raising enough to pay for professional layout and such, which would make the thing take longer to produce both because it's fancier and more work, and also because it would require back-and-forth communication between me and the person doing the layout. Since the first KS gave me a better idea of what I can expect to raise, I'm now expecting to lay the game out myself and have fewer pieces of art, and thus can have a shorter timeline. The easiest way for Ariadne and Bob to be delayed would be for me to end up raising a lot more than I expect.

Yeah, definitely just kidding. It's no Always/Never/Now, a game that I stopped caring about like 2 years before it finally showed up. And that was some tiny game that came in a binder.

Beam Saber seems like it was a perfect storm of compounding problems. First time Kickstarter, a lot of money, relying on one artist, and then the pandemic and supply chain fuckery. Any one of those would be delay city.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

The_Doctor posted:

The latest Buttonshy game, I Guess This Is It is up. It's their first RPG, and it looks really fuckin' depressing. :smith:

Kind of reminds me of of Our Last Best Hope and Our Love Can't Save the World. Neat.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I didn't know Metallic Dice Games was doing more Elixir dice, some of these look pretty cool. I got the ones I ordered in the last KS and they're quite nice. D4's the weak link, but they have a new mold for these.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/579878362/elixir-dice-v2-handcrafted-liquid-core-rpg-dice

I want that Rainbow Dust set.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 3, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got my copy of Monster Care Squad today!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Bucnasti posted:

What is even left for Reaper to convert to Bones?

The rest of people's money?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That one struck me as odd, too. I don't know anything about Cypher, but Old Gods seems like a tough setting to tell RPG stories in. I don't do a lot of Lovecraft stuff, so I don't know how common "yeah, you're hosed, but at least make it interesting before you get murdered" is in that space either. But like, the first season is just "yeah, humans pissed off something that would have been best left alone" with one exception of the witch sort-of getting one over on the stag-demon.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Welp, I didn't go in for the lunchbox, but I did go in for the promos, guess that's 45 bucks into the wind. Been quite a while since I had a Kickstarter fail to fulfill.

I think the one before that was Skull Diggers. Anything else would have been years ago. Stuff like the Machine Age Micro-Games or Monsterhearts: Second Skins.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 17, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Arcsech posted:

Cool, DHL claims to have delivered my Redgrass wet palette, but there’s definitely no package here (and I know it didn’t get porch-pirated, I have cameras). loving DHL.

DHL and FedEx are in a race to the bottom for the level of immediate annoyance I feel when I see someone used them to ship anything.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JazzFlight posted:

I'm getting my Steam Deck soon and Valve foolishly ships the thing in it's own box (with branding all over it), so I'm hoping I avoid being another reddit story of "the Fedex guy stole my Steam Deck and delivered an empty box."

But they'll mark it delivered and FedEx won't do a drat thing. I had a hundred dollar booze order I shipped to a friend's place vanish into the ether, but was "delivered" so FedEx basically told me to gently caress off. Lucky I went for the upsell shipping insurance, so I was only only the 30 bucks I paid for shipping instead of the full 140.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JazzFlight posted:

Hey, anyone up for a $350 version of Tsuro with $78 dollar minimum shipping? No?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/calliopegamenight/tsuro-luxury-limited-edition/description

It's pretty, but why? I'd actually love a pocket Tsuro of some type. It's a great filler, but who loves the game that much?

I say this, fully knowing I'm going to get the fancy sundrop pledge for Castles of Burgundy. Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm okay with the castle miniatures for Castles of Burgundy, but who wants a hundred bucks worth of 3d hex tiles?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I don't get the idea that there's a lot of people are excited enough to back a game, but not get all the gameplay stuff. I mean, obviously cost is a factor, but it's already a luxury purchase. Like, maybe I don't need a hardback with a nice slipcase or a foil embossed box all the time, bit I still want the whole drat game.

It's how the stupid IDW games got me, I wanted all the TMNT and Batman characters is could get.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, I heard Mage Knight and got all excited about clicky bases and Black Powder Rebels.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I found a few neat Zinequest entires:

I backed Ceres: The City That Never Sleeps for a system called See You Space Cowboy, so I immediately had to remedy not owning that.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seeyouspacecowboy/ceres-the-planet-that-never-sleeps

Also found Sleepless: Beyond Sanity. I love the overall vibe of this one, but I also have Don't Rest Your Head as one of my dream RPGs to actually run.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jbherer/sleepless-rpg-beyond-sanity

I'm considering backing Make Our Own Heaven, a pretty positive-seeming RPG about mutual aid and being a weird angel hybrid:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reizor/make-our-own-heaven-zine

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I've never used any crowdfunding platform except kickstarter until today, when i used indiegogo for that new torchbearer book. Before I checked out it tacked on a ten dollar tip though? Whats up with that?

Because they can, apparently. It's possible to get a refund, based on a comment on the project about it. You can also set it to zero.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone end up springing for Break!!? Looked kind of interesting and it's in the last two days. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/576526373/break-a-trpg-inspired-by-classic-videogames-and-anime

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm definitely done buying special edition board games. I just got my order of the Castles of Burgundy SE and the box size just gave me anxiety. Between that and Everdell complete, it's just a hassle to store all these giant game boxes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, I also picked up Castles of Burgundy SE and it is huge. It also has a similar problem for me; I purchased all the piece and tile upgrades so it is hard to fit everything in the box, but there is just something that prevents me from throwing out the stock pieces, even though I won't use them.

Can you actually fit the 3d tiles in the box? That part seemed excessive, so I just did the acrylic hexes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I was kind of intrigued by the KS for The Magnus Archives RPG, but it's Cypher and they want 75 United States dollary-doos for a hardback. Is Cypher actually any good?

I'm getting the The One Ring's Moria special edition for that price. The 2e one is gorgeous and I love dwarves, so I'm in.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Sounds like I made the right decision passing on it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

dwarf74 posted:

The Monty Python rpg pdf dropped and uh it sure is something. I'm reasonably sure there's an rpg in here among the um... layout.

It's beautiful. The layout fits the theme. It's hurting my eyes and actively hostile to reading. I wish I had a plain text version.

EDIT - Oh seems like the rules parts are laid out more clearly. So far. That's good.

Edit 2 - I take it back. The bulk of the book is fine and perfectly readable. Sorry.

Taking layout advice from the fuckin' Book of the SubGenius, what the hell.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I have a full set of the old TMNT books and was gonna open-palm slam money for the collection, but the whole variant covers thing does make it look like a shitshow.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, my resolve is weakening for the TMNT kickstarter. :negative:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I love how KS blanks out people that pulled their pledges. Can't have people warning folks about scams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like how Free League does it. They have a lot of stretch goals, but it's all going in stuff you're already getting, like the campaign box or the book.