Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

gourdcaptain posted:

Well, he's going full in on the "force refunding of complaining people" thing.

This is amazing. I'd already sold my Luke Crane books and decided not to back Inheritance after the Burning Wheel Codex responses, but this reminded me that I had yet to unsubscribe from the mailing list, too.

I would much rather run DramaSystem with vikings than put up with any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
There was no shipping notification - just a comment on the Kickstarter itself after a question. I got my UA3 set last Friday and they're gorgeous. Really pleased with the books.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Yeah, as others have pointed out, the PDF will be made available for free later. So if that $20 is a deal breaker... you'll get access eventually.

It is a little weird how they've organized it, but they are trying to raise money to support the next few years worth of printing costs, I think.

The fact that Eclipse Phase is creative commons has led to the development of some incredibly cool and useful resources, like Chuck's Eclipse Phase wiki. My players don't really pick up the books to read for fun, but they will poke around a wiki.

That history makes me a little more willing to support the potential stretch goals - even though I'd like to know what they are, too.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
On Reign: I also wish that the pdfs didn't cost extra. It feels pretty weird in 2018.

Personally I've been waiting for this one. I ran one of my very favorite campaigns using the One Roll Engine that powers Reign. It takes a session or so for people to get used to the matching dice, but then it's really fluid. I really couldn't go back to the storyteller system White Wolf uses after playing some ORE games.

The system I used for the campaign was actually Monsters and Other Childish Things, but since it was a Team Rocket (from Pokemon) themed campaign, I eventually folded in the company rules from Reign. It was a really fun way to model what parts of the organization the players controlled and were improving, and to add some mechanical basis for something that usually feels like a matter of fiat. A+ would recommend. The world-building in the Realms stuff is delightfully weird compared to more European medieval-ish settings.

I really like Greg Stolze's designs in general, so I'm excited to upgrade from the paperback digest version of the rules and a bunch of pdfs to the nice books.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Mors Rattus posted:

I actually wish it wasn't using ORE, ORE's got a huge problem in that it has a very, very small sweet spot for a character to be good at something without being overwhelmingly good at it. Like you go from 'i can't do poo poo' at 4 dice to 'i am literally unstoppable' at around 8.

ORE absolutely has its quirks, but I still really like it. In practice (especially with Monsters) I had to get used to characters being really successful at the things they were specialized in. However, I've had that experience with a lot of other systems I've run, from Dungeon World to Fate to Eclipse Phase.

Like the other systems, I ended up balancing between letting the characters do Their Big Thing, making them fall back on stuff they were less good at, or pitting them against opponents who were also really good at a particular thing.

In the case of the highly skilled opposition in ORE, I think it's satisfying for me and the players to size up each others' dice pool results and decide which matches to get rid of. You can also increase the difficulty level by establishing a minimum height - so that while they are very likely to get a match, it may not be a high enough value to complete that particular task.

If it's not to your taste, I do think they alluded to possible conversions or advice about adapting the Company rules to other game systems. That would certainly make sense as stretch goals.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 19, 2018

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Did they ever put out the 13th Age crossover PDF?

To backers, yes. It came out a while ago and is pretty cool. It's written by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan and includes the Yellow King as a slowly returning force. Characters can have icon dice with him, but run the risk of spreading the Carcosan infection. The other Icons can become fully corrupted over time this way.

It's a good read. I am not sure if it's otherwise available yet.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

neaden posted:

He designed the Bloodborne card game right? How did that turn out?

It's a lot of fun. It's not super complicated, but it's flavorful and the hand-building setup is enjoyable. The basic mechanics in the board game looked like they take some inspiration from the card game, while adding more progression and deckbuilding overall.

There's a set of 6 Design Diaries on CMON's site if you're curious about what their thought process going into the board game was. https://cmon.com/news/bloodborne-design-diary-part-1

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Many cons also have places to sell or even auction used games. Even for resoundingly underwhelming kickstarter games, I've been able to get back most of what I paid if there were any KS bonuses at all.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I assume it's Haunted West because it has a wonderfully soft touch approach to the alt-history where the conspiracy to assassinate the heads of state goes slightly better and known rear end in a top hat of history and garbage president Andrew Johnson also gets capped, which leads to a Wade-Davis Bill Reconstruction and all the fallout associated

Me too. I was already interested because Harlem Unbound was so good. But when I read that take on the alternate history I was blown away by how elegant and interesting it was.

I've never bought Deadlands (even stuff that piqued my interest like the Deadlands Noir or spin-off card game) because the CSA thing was too tone-deaf and weird. Haunted West will provide some cool new ideas and all the weird west I've ever wanted.

I will also chime in to say, good handling of that, gnome7. It's the kind of thing that crops up by accident but you took care of it immediately.

I'm in for the game itself, too. Having three roles is cool and I think will promote good discussions on game design. And I really like that the Bones are coming to you, rather than you bursting into someone else's home. Looks great.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Zurai posted:

He's one of those "I know more than you ever could" people, too. He loathes people making any modifications to his game systems, including new lifepaths and such for BW, because they just simply cannot comprehend the balance that went into the existing ones. He also insists that "Forte" is an appropriate word to use for "toughness" or "endurance", among many, many other similar word misuses. He's just generally insufferable. Brilliant game designer, just don't engage him in conversation.

EDIT: And I was unaware that he's actually employed by Kickstarter in a customer-facing field. That's hilariously wrong. The man cannot deal with normal every-day people.

Yeah. He was on a GenCon panel recorded by Role Playing Public Radio, years back, and talked about doing stuff like taking away a player's character sheet and throwing it on the floor, because "the answer isn't on the sheet, what does your character do right now"

He's very aggro about pretty much anything.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Haystack posted:

I don't dislike Luke though? I get why he's pissed some people off, but he seems fine, overall. Hell, I'll probably pick up a copy Mouse Guard at some point. I just disapprove of this specific type of unprofessionallism. It would make me trust anyone less.

Yeah. I thought that one of the reasons Luke Crane liked aggressively issuing refunds was that it means the refundee is a not a backer any more and cannot comment on the project. That keeps things nice and positive on the comments. Having that ability and possibly more with his company position seems like it could cause problems.

Like, if you report the project and the report just goes to Luke Crane, what exactly do you expect to happen? That doesn't seem like the intent of kickstarter reports. It's not illegal, but it is a bad look.

I don't know the details for refunds or KS reports. So if it doesn't work that way, by all means let me know. But the refund = no comments is what I took away from a blog post about Crane's refunding for the wizardspeak shipping question. (I tried to find that post but wasn't able to do so.)

Given that, it seems reasonable to ask that he be listed on the project - and no, listing "from Burning Wheel" isn't putting your name on it unless the audience is already familiar with both Crane and Burning Wheel. That reads like deliberately leaving it out.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Imagined posted:

Every time I see a post about a new RPG system being launched or kickstarted I wish there was some omnipotent being who could give me actual accurate numbers on how many people will ever actually play these games. I don't know if I'm biased from becoming an old or just have boring rear end friends, but I often suspect the answer is somewhere between "not many" and "gently caress all". Among everyone I know, I could maybe scrape together a D&D or Pathfinder game if I leaned hard on everyone, badgered and cajoled and bribed. There's no loving way I could get anyone I actually know to try to learn anything new, and believe me I've tried. Maybe my suspicions are true and people just like having the shelf candy and reading the fluff, lord knows I've got plenty of RPG books for that reason.

It depends on the group, but I've run about 75 percent of the RPGs I have. I started as the GM for the group and many of the players hadn't played much before or also enjoyed trying new systems. We do a lot of Apocalypse World based stuff and Forged in the Dark because it is so easy to pick up and play.

But we've done Call of Cthulhu, Gumshoe, Delta Green, and Eclipse Phase. Along with indie stuff like 10 Candles and Fiasco. So I wouldn't say all those systems are just shelf decorations; people really do play those non big two games. The closest thing to D&D I run is 13th Age; it's more my style.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, so far. I don't think this particular campaign can ever be a fair trial between the platforms because the large majority of backers so far have come over from the previous Kickstarter. But I'll be able to compare and cross-reference backer reports to see where existing backers went and where new backers went, and I'll be happy to post the numbers here for anyone curious.

As a single data point, I backed on kickstarter initially and then switched to IndieGoGo. Itch is sort of an outlier since it has no option for the physical copy where the other two do.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Leraika posted:

I'm not familiar with his stuff in particular (though he's got a lot of accolades to his name) but 2p games have been of some interest to me for a while, as are games with automated combat and non-traditional gm roles, so it's caught my eye for those reasons (and full disclosure I've been a LionWing fan for a while; they do a really nice job bringing JTTRPGS over which is a relief after the Serpent Sea debacle).

I've been very impressed with the Picaresque Roman and other LionWing kickstarters. Professional and efficient in my experience.

https://www.level99store.com/blogs/news/we-re-not-running-any-ads-for-bullet-universe

Level 99 made a post about how they're not doing ads for the Bullet expansion kickstarter. They decided to use that budget for commissioning more art instead. Seems like a cool call to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Azubah posted:

The slow addition of extras in the bloodborne board game turned me off of the campaign and most KS these days. FOMO has limits lol

Funny you mention this one. Bloodborne was one of the first Kickstarters I've done where additional announcements made me less and less excited, especially with the Kickstarter exclusive FOMO. It turned me off from CMON pretty strongly and has made it hard to get even the base game to the table. It just leaves a bad feeling to choose between having an incomplete game or spending a ton of money on something you haven't played.

In contrast, I was really happy with the Level 99 version of Guilty Gear where there was the game box. There were some add ons that were cosmetic and you could get their previous Exceed boxes, but there wasn't the crazy FOMO treadmill. I liked that much better and I'm honestly quite burnt out on stretch goal naps and stuff like that.