Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Looking at the Rising Sun gameplay video, the Betray option makes no sense. I thought it could only affect your ally, but it seems like you can target anyone on the board with your substitutions? That seems powerful as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Academy Games' 878 Vikings: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617871702/878-vikings-invasions-of-england

There is an early bird pledge level that expires on Monday 3/20, but it only saves $5. I've never played any of their other historical games (all I have are Fief and Mare Nostrum, which are based on older designs), so I'd love to hear someone weighing in.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

In more TG Kickstarter news, Brass by Roxley Games (Steampunk Rally, Santorini)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

Is Gloomhaven that good? I'm almost convinced to back it just from the buzz here.

There's a lot of game to it and what I've played of said game is pretty good. I'm hoping that the scenarios get more creative than the monster closet type designs that I've seen thus far, but here's hoping!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

Just a reprint? Or an expansion.

Tell me more i was looking for an economic game and i didn't realise there was one based in Lancashire!

Like Jedit said, it's basically kinda both, except the other is an expandalone. Here is the BGG announcement thread with scant additional details: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1499425/roxley-games-publish-brass-2017

Edit: I think there was some rights drama between Wallace and Eagle Gryphon Games, so this would be a more "official" version or something?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 17, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I just glanced at it, but it sorta seems like Mage Wars but with a bigger battlefield.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Crossroads of Heroes looks like it has a great theme (wuxia) and aesthetic with what sounds like really boring and noncompelling gameplay. I bring it up mostly for someone to make a better game out of these parts, thanks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm kinda legitimately not sure where most of that extra $30 is coming from. The art book? The PDF art book?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I don't know how this plays, but I know there is a large overlap between science nerds and board game nerds:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geniusgames/cytosis-a-cell-biology-board-game?ref=1szekr

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I assume it'd come at some point, but has Isaac said anything about a Gloomhaven sequel/expansion?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

I'd be willing to bet they got so burned by the Horror on the Orient Express and CoC 7th Ed kickstarters and decided to just go this route, but I could be wrong.

What happened with these two?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Brass is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/brass-an-industrial-revolution

$60 each or $100 for both.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm disappointed that they aren't launching Birmingham as an expansion. The redundancy makes it a little pricey

I imagine there would be a ton of people whining about "having" to buy the new edition of a game they may already have to play with an expansion.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Go RV! posted:

There's a Wet Hot American Summer RPG so that's a thing I guess?

How the gently caress did this get made before a Lumberjanes RPG?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Rise to Nobility is really tempting me. What are some other dice placement games that currently exist that I should look at instead (besides Kingsburg)? :ohdear:

Troyes is the best one.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Morels is getting an expansion: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1058482509/morels-foray-the-morels-expansion

It is a pretty good 2p game, although I don't play it often because I have a glut of 2p games that I would play over it. But I have heard it is a good game to play with nongamers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

This is sort of random news:

Chris Boelinger posted:

Hello,
Just passing by... As a matter of fact we don't know yet if we will do first a kickstarter about Targane Adventure or for Earth Reborn.
If it is for Earth Reborn it would actually be not only an expansion, but also a stand-alone. Meaning for those who already have the base game it is fully an expansion. And for those who have nothing, they can play with it.
Meaning the expansion/stand alone will contain 2 new factions, new rooms, objects, cards, order tiles, dice (so you'll have plenty with two boxes and some new game mechanics matching the new factions.
All the main rules and rules already in the first box will remain the same to ensure total compatibility.

Guess what is back on my working and playing table ?

That's right Earth Reborn

Don't ask for a release date or a kickstarter date, cause I strictly have no idea... But one thing is for sure, I also love this game and it will come back with reinforcements one day or another and probably with a lot more stuff than you are thinking or dreaming about

I was kind of hoping for Dungeon Twister complete (and a box that can hold all the stuff), but I'll take more Boelinger.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Stumbled on this post at BGG, regarding Blood Rage's Wildboar Clan (Kickstarter Exclusive):

quote:

I got my exclusive edition second-hand a while ago, but among a few tokens it happens to be also missing 2 purple bases.

I contacted CoolMiniOrNot and asked if they could help, but they said that since I'm not the original backer they won't help me, since it was 'exclusive'.

gently caress Kickstarter exclusives.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Agent Rush posted:

Has anyone looked into Petrichor? It certainly sounds interesting especially with that quote about Dominant Species, but I'm not sure whether to get this or just grab DS instead.

Also, are there any reviewers you'd recommend regarding Brass?

Grab Dominant Species because you can get it and play it now and it also owns. Mean, though, so be warned if you're playing with people who don't like the fact that "Survival of the fittest" sometimes means you eat each other or starve an entire species out or cause a volcano to erupt.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

What exactly are the "right reasons" to support a kickstarter?

To happily submit yourself at the feet of God-Emperor Capitalism.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

obviously I hosed it posted:

This looks so freaking cool to me. Lovecraft *and* you get to be a 'bad guy'. WHat's not to love?

Are you affiliated with the project? This is the sort of non-thinking that marketers like to spew and usually results in poo poo like Cards Against Humanity, except at least Cards Against Humanity is a real product instead of something that will be delayed, then disappear or be forgotten.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ettin posted:

with some backer suggestions

How much did they have to pledge to have their suggestions taken seriously?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

So the Kitchen Rush kickstarter is finally live, and (although I'm biased), the game looks really good from what I've seen so far. No rules out yet, but Rahdo's video pretty much shows 90% of the rules so it's a good starting point.

As much as I dislike Kickstarter exclusives, there is basically no reason to back this right now over waiting to get it on CSI for cheaper. I don't know what MSRP is, but even a 20% discount plus a promo pack of additional orders (or whatever) would go a long way.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

This thread seems to have missed the Kickstarer for a new Thunderstone...

That's because Thunderstone was poo poo iirc. I'm not sure if "Quest" changes things, but I distinctly remember yawning throughout the Thunderstone experience. At least Ascension has an app.

Rhaegar posted:

Thoughts on the Lords of Hellas kickstarter draft? Kickstarter starts June 6th.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/1267501505?token=52a9df4e

The first thing I see advertised is a Kickstarter exclusive that would cost an extra 5 gbp to anyone who doesn't get in on Day 1, and that is enough for me to disregard the rest of the project. But scrolling down I also see some nice cleavage on Athena, who was definitely not known for being a virgin or anything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

"Large breasted women can't possibly be virgins" - The Collected Hot Takes of GrandpaPants, 2017

Yeah, that's definitely what I meant. It's totally not a comment on the painfully male gazey representation.

gently caress off, you miserable poo poo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

John Wick is doing a 7th Sea themed Diplomacy-like: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnwickpresents/7th-sea-war-of-the-cross

But, y'know, with minis and exclusive minis. Seems pretty slow going, but $100 is also a pretty large purchase.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Send an email telling them that you won't support their KS because of exclusives like that.

Also, Deception was a worse experience than Mysterium for my group, since a lot of the questions are just useless, so it's sort of a crapshoot of you having a really easy time vs a really hard time. "What day of the week did the crime happen" is such an infinitely more useless question than even something like "What room did the crime happen in"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not a bad racket, buy 500 yen from a bank for $4 and turn around and sell it for $17.50..

Yeah, but when get it from the bank, it's just worthless change. When you get it from the Internet, it's a craft good!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I've been curious for a while, but where does the term heartbreaker come from?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm actually interested in CW since my friends are getting into board games more these days. Replayability is good, I assume? Which expansion might be the best if I just get the $200 bonus?

I would go with Yog Sothoth just because it's the most canonical of the bunch. It also has the benefit of wanting to poo poo out gates/take over gates and get into fights with other factions, so it tends to be pretty active (They Break Through + The Beyond One is also hilariously assholish).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't remember who said it, but IS really is "Monte read Neil Gaiman's Sandman for the first time: the RPG".

That's not really fair.

That woman with the keys is pretty clearly inspired by Door from Neverwhere.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I also just remembered that IS also has like a thousand spells, going by the cards.

Well it's a Monte Cook design so about 90% of those spells are worthless trash, but system mastery and whatnot.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Argent: The Consortium 2nd Edition just launched. I'm getting the upgrade just for the new base system because wow did the old one not work in practice.

Argent is probably my favorite worker placement, though. It does suffer from a bit too much "stuff" (they could have probably cut out items and be fine), but the mechanics of the various types of "workers" is fun, as is the magic system.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm amazed at how the funding for Founders of Gloomhaven has ground to a halt. I was expecting it to blow up.

It's the same thing with Argent which really limped along to get funded (although I think most of that was the awful shipping costs)

Have we got peak boardgame kickstarter?

Founders doesn't really incentivize anyone to back it except maybe (?) cheaper than online retail prices. As far as I can tell, there are no exclusives (good), no promos, no content stretch goals to really pull at people to get more bang for their buck. It doesn't even have particularly splashy art or anything. If it weren't for Gloomhaven, which was remarkable in the sheer breadth of content that later panned out to be actually good content, there's no real reason to look at Founders besides as "just another Euro."

Argent is just a second edition of a game that didn't get the hype push that Gloomhaven did, so I'm not that surprised it's not exactly spiking up. Not to mention anime may (?) be a harder sell than whatever weird fantasy aesthetic Gloomhaven goes for. Note that it is still pretty on track for beating the 1st edition's modest ~$140k, but if I recall, the previous Indines Kickstarter overestimated demand, judging by the stretch goals.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Why does it cost $40 to add 4 new playable characters? Like I'm fairly certain you can buy BSG and one or two of its expansions for the cost of the "full" game?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

:devil: But what if it's really good and you won't be able to get a copy until the reprint Kickstarter???

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Because who bothers to rate stuff that was just adequate?

Plenty of people have rated Splendor.

And pointing to an aggregate score just absolves lazy people from having to actually explaining what they like about the game. God forbid we apply something resembling critical thought to board game reviews. yegods basically just pointed to the BGG rating, said that it's good, and then tried to guilt sell the game to someone with a nice dash of condescension on top of it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Level 99 has a game where you're some sort of time traveler trying to unmake the other time traveler by shaming them in front of time god, or something: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/temporal-odyssey-draft-the-future

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Has anyone been following Root? How did the mechanics look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Christophe Boelinge, of Dungeon Twister, Earth Reborn, and Archipelago fame, has a new game on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antonioooh/living-planet-by-christophe-boelinger

Unfortunately, the Kickstarter's English seems a bit stilted, which seems to have also transferred to the (WIP) manual. I'm still not quite sure how the game actually plays, especially in regards to the cataclysm since that part is kinda messy, but goddamn that guy makes good games.