Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Covok posted:

Politicans are basically celebrities who have no rights to their image or name due to the fact they're public figures and the emotions about the current politicians couldn't be more heated and polarized. Not surprised some people see a business opportunity.
The board game KS I just bought in order to play through my feelings of the current political situation in America is Black Orchestra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Moon Monster posted:

For the standees I took an exacto knife and carved out holes for each pile of them in those black foam pieces that came in the box.
Yep, saw the suggestion on BGG and did the same:

It's cool, they stack on top of each other really nicely on top of the mini boxes and then I put each monster's stat cards alphabetically with their decks standing vertically like file dividers in that monster square in the top left corner. Much better than throwing all the monster standees in a big ziploc and taking forever to find anything.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The e-mail from the Gloomhaven creator showed off an official health/xp tracker dial to make up for the finicky ones on the character boards.
I want that. Gimme gimme gimme.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ooh, that sounds good. My XP tracker flat-out doesn't fit in the slot no matter how much I try to get it wedged in there.
I got home to reupload the image from the e-mail. Check it out:

Gloomhaven E-mail posted:

Can I get updated books/dials for my current copy of Gloomhaven?
Like I said, I can let you know what the changes are, but it is just not logistically viable to give or even sell new books to everyone who would want them. I can, however, help you with the dials. Or rather, Meeple Realty can. We are working with them to offer everyone an opportunity to buy official Gloomhaven HP/EXP dials for their current game. They will very soon be offering a wood option, and a cardboard version exactly like what will be in the second printing will be available in the future.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The way to avoid the (very minor) legacy stuff in Gloomhaven is simply printing out an additional map and adding locations to it or using a digital map file that someone made up on BGG. You can also print out/laminate character sheets to list all your stats/items. In addition, you could even just sleeve your cards when you want to improve them and mark the upgrades on the sleeves.

It's all very minor compared to something like Risk Legacy or Pandemic Legacy where the board itself is used in the game the entire time. The map in Gloomhaven is something you look at once when you start/end a scenario, then you fold it and put it back in the box. You're not marking up the hex tiles or anything.

I made the decision to put the stickers directly on the map because it looks better that way (than without it) and it's such a long game (possibly hundreds of hours) that you're meant to be exploring the world over multiple characters/parties. You can just start a new party whenever you want and go to whatever scenario looks fun.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 17, 2017

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, it doesn't really have much mechanical purpose, but it really adds to the immersion of the whole thing, I find.

Also I was very sad when I found out there were stickers that went over the creases, and very happy when the time came to apply one of those and I found that it was actually cut into two stickers in just the right place so that one would go on either side of the crease and line up perfectly on the board when it's laid out.
It's also super easy to take a boxcutter and gently slice the sticker right down the crease after you apply it to the board. It has the benefit of then folding the cut edge into the curve so it fits perfectly when collapsing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The City of Kings started its campaign and I have to say I'm intrigued, though the entry fee's a little steep ($74 USD). It's like the board-game equivalent to a PC-RPG/MMORPG (also kinda like Heroes of M&M) which I know, sounds terrible, but in practice it at least looks pretty fun.

It's a cooperative game wherein you explore a map (determined by which scenario/story you're using and randomly arranged) using a worker placement mechanic, and each player has a hero character and two workers. The map has to be explored (by moving a worker or your hero to the tile, and then exploring) which will reveal quest hubs/resource locations/etc. You want to level your character up and gain equipment etc. and complete the objective before the countdown mechanic results in a loss.

There's a preview by Man vs Meeple that explains it better than me.

I hope I won't get yelled at for noting that it kinda sorta reminds me of Gloomhaven, despite not being similar mechanically - just in terms of scope and number of components (but still not looking to be too fiddly).

First-time game designer/KS'er so obviously factor that if you're considering it...
I enjoy Gloomhaven, but this seems... I dunno, too fiddly? Like, you have to remember to do a lot of stuff every turn, right? The monsters having a ton of randomly determined skills that each have their own thing to reference gives me a nervous headache.

Also, it's certainly not as polished as Gloomhaven, costs more money if you get the higher tiers, and the possibility of bumping all those cubes is another nightmare.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 29, 2017

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Psst!
Hey guys, the 2nd Printing of Gloomhaven's Kickstarter is up now:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven-second-printing

It has a tier for just the upgrades if you're a returning backer. I think I'll grab a copy of the heroes as standees as well to go with the original miniatures.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tekopo posted:

The previous Gloomhaven KS raised 386k. The second printing raised 334k in under 40 minutes :eyepop:
I think what's nice about the reprint campaign is that you know what you're getting. People have already received and played the finished product, there are review videos/photos/etc... This isn't a shadowy campaign with "coming soon" parts to it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, I'd say Gloomhaven makes for a pretty great solo game IF you only play 2, maaaaaaybe 3 characters. I would personally max out at 2.

If you're going for the full 4-person team, you're going to be taking forever trying to optimize your turns (plus you'll have to get through the most amount of monsters, ballooning the session time).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

S.J. posted:

I think the other minis are classes that you unlock and are 'secret'
Yeah, think of it like a long-term Advent calendar that you open bit by bit as you finish a previous character's life goal. You then move on to the next job and get some perks for retiring the previous character. It takes quite a while until you retire a character, though. This is a long-rear end game.

The only downside is that you can't really check all your components for damage unless you don't mind getting completely spoiled.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

grassy gnoll posted:

Is there a requirement to have more Gloomhaven minis, or is it just an option to buy more if you like the original ones?
Just buying more if you like the originals.
You can only have one of each class in a scenario and if you wanted to break the rules and have duplicates, you'd have to buy another game anyway.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vehementi posted:

I feel bad backing this because shipping is free on a 20 lb game
Yeah, when you get this thing, it feels ridiculous.
It's a huge amount of content for the price. Other KS campaigns seem way overpriced if this is what you can get for ~$100 (and I paid even less for the first campaign).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

There's so much in the game already that stretch goals aren't needed. It would somehow make more sense to start cutting missions as stretch goals so that you could theoretically finish the game within your lifetime, haha.

Also, I think he doesn't want to overload himself considering he's also going to launch a KS for a Euro-style game called Founders of Gloomhaven in the next few months.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

dwarf74 posted:

How many players are recommended for Gloomhaven? 2-4, 2-5 ... I know there's solo play, too, which is neat.
I would max out at 3 unless everyone's way on board and okay with a long session, in which case I guess you could try a team of 4.
The amount of enemies in a scenario scales based on whether you have 2/3/4 characters, which means it balloons housekeeping and working out optimal strategies.

I prefer 2 characters, to be honest.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I dunno if anyone else pledged back in 2015 for the "latest" Super Dungeon Explore reboot, but it's like a year and a half in and it seems like no real progress is made while the company launches other campaigns...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/super-dungeon-explore-legends/posts/1847338?ref=activity

At least I've had better success with other KS campaigns (some delivering way earlier), but this one is giving major red flags now. CMON at least comes through after delays.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That's an absolutely beautiful art redesign, but I'm a bit scared off by Brass because of the Shut Up & Sit Down video review (also Rahdo's):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k74ki2dBXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_dqnt-Z0_Y

I'm thinking it may be a bit too... I dunno, "thinky/AP Euro" for me?
Amazing board and artwork on the cards, though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Covok posted:

What movie is this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_Hot_American_Summer
It's on Netflix, definitely check it out. It's worth seeing the documentary and prequel Netflix series as well.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The White Box: A Game Design Workshop-in-a-Box

I guess $20 is a good price for a bunch of generic components?
$30+$8 shipping in US, actually.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

In other news, the Dark Souls board game is getting panned. Tom Vassel gave it a bad review (I haven't watched it yet myself) and people on BGG are getting pissy already.

Also lol:
Well, to be fair, I only know of 4 reviews so far and it's split between them:

Positive:
Eurogamer
Man vs. Meeple

Negative:
Polygon
Dice Tower (Tom Vasel)

So it's a bit of a toss-up until real people get the game, I guess...? I dunno, the Dice Tower review seemed like Tom just had no idea as to the appeal of Dark Souls (the video game). I mean, he though it might be a "shooter" game in the first minute of the review.

I'm also thinking there may be a large BGG fan-mod community that creates the "perfect" grind-free variant or boss-rush modes.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 22, 2017

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LordAba posted:

Not to mention that Ninja Division already has about 4 other kickstarters going on that don't look like they are hitting any major milestones...
I'll be really surprised when they finally ship even the first wave of Super Dungeon Explore 2nd Edition. They're way behind on that as well as Rail Riders Infinite, which was supposed to be a very basic poker dice-roller with minis and is stuck in production hell somehow.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TacoNight posted:

One Deck Dungeon is kickstarting their first expansion, Forest of Shadows. I'm a big fan of the original game, which is a lightweight cooperative dungeon crawler. It achieves its goals quite well using only cards + dice, as you have the feeling of getting more powerful as you explore a randomly generated, increasingly tough dungeon. There are some interesting choices to be made: fight or run away from an encounter as well as your choice of loot vs exp vs skills gained for finishing an encounter, though it is not incredibly deep.

Also as a pitch, they avoid lots of annoying kickstarter behaviors: they have no ks exclusives, the price + shipping = msrp ($25), and none of the main game are hidden behind stretch goals. The downside is they only have reasonable shipping prices for US. There is a full print and play version for the main game and expansion on the kickstarter page.
Yeah, this is a really cool solo/co-op dungeon crawl and dice placement game, so I'd recommend backing. Also neat that they buck the trend and only have female characters. It's a bit of a shame that they changed so many cards after the first printing that they're selling an upgrade pack, but at least it's cheap. If I had bought the plastic cards, I would have been really annoyed, though. Especially for people who bought two copies to play with 4 players.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's a revival of Button Men, the old Cheapass Games dice game. If you want to try it out, the non-licensed characters from the original game are available for free as print-and-play with old art with artists like Brian Snoddy and Brom. Its fairly cheap as long as you have your own set of dice (and if you're here, you probably do).

It's a nice quick game you can play between other games.
Is it fairly cheap though? 48 cards for $30 after shipping in the US with no box or $45 if you want the dice and box?

I think it's still a little too steep. If they were still buttons (or maybe cardboard tokens like Diskwars) and you got 48 for the price they're charging, it would be pretty neat.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, $20 if you're just getting the cards, but that's a fair criticism.
Whoops, yeah, I was looking at the higher tier. Actually, $20 isn't thaaaaat bad if you think about it supporting the company, but again it's no box and provide your own dice.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ugh, the Darkest Night KS keeps posting shots of their test minis from the factory and they just look so blobby and amateurish. I really hope the game is good because it was more money than most campaigns that offer better quality.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That Rifts board game thing has a delivery date of Jun 2019. While I know some games get delayed to a 2-year delivery, usually they list no further off than like, 1 year, right?

Knowing the warning signs about the guy who set this up, I even doubt that 2019 is an achievable goal.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pierzak posted:

Aaaand the Rift KS is canceled. Time will tell if they learn any lessons and actually come better prepared next time, or if they're just waiting until the evil trolls get bored and the shitstorm passes.
Oh geez, that guy behind it is gonna kill himself for real this time, right?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Haha, I'm always surprised that none of these types of game support solitaire play because I can't see multiple people sitting down to play them in person.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeahhh, I avoid buying any board game that has some kind of regressive colonization theme to it or "booga-booga" tribesmen enemies. Those games are usually from European countries who I guess just don't have the cultural awareness to realize that it's pretty offensive.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pash posted:

Anyone know the story behind these guys first KS? How did their production and delivery go?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1803723298/human-interface-be-a-better-human/description
I dropped out of this one. I like minis and coop games, but the horrible English in the updates and the huge size of the map tiles (I don't think I'd have the table space) made me drop out.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ropes4u posted:

I was going to pass but my wife watched Rhados play though and said "I love that!!" So I am obligated to backing it.
Ack, man, ya got me to give this a closer look and it definitely got its hooks in me. You're actually building little plates of food, how tactile is that, haha.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rad Valtar posted:

Got my copy of Tiny Epic Quest today. Components look solid and the box is stuffed with stuff.
Yeah, it's really top-notch. Those ItemMeeples are exactly as cool as they looked in the campaign. Just playing dress-up with them and sticking all the items on the included rack is a fun toy in itself. Here's hoping they can find a use for that component system in other games.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm more of a boardgamer than a tabletop RPGer, but I'm really into this KS campaign:
The GameMaster's Apprentice: A Fantasy Deck for any RPG

It's a series of decks of randomizer cards for any kind of storytelling system. It also allows you to kind of automate a GM if you want to play solo or cooperatively without someone leading the story. I printed out the free sample deck (half of the cards in the generic deck) from DrivethruRPG included with the ALONe Solo Game Engine that the developer made and found it pretty interesting:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/168609/ALONe-A-Solo-Game-Engine-BETA?src=newest

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

homullus posted:

She ain't no Haula bat girl
:vince:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

On the heels of the Dark Souls KS, look what else is coming from Steamforged Games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzCojjEROJs

I dunno whether to be excited. Dark Souls has some excellent minis (except for the Dancer resculpt), but the rules at launch require a lot of house ruling to be fun apparently. It felt like they were rushed to market and under the thumb of their Japanese licensee for a lot of design decisions.

They also recently announced that they're launching a Dark Souls Card Game available through the DS KS pledgemanager before retail next year.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I just received word that Hurricane Harvey has delayed the shipping of Dark is the Night. So expect a waterlogged game if it does arrive.
Yeah, I just saw. That suuuuuucks (if any damage occurs). Thankfully, it's a cheaper KS campaign item compared to some $100+ miniature monstrosity. Imagine the craziness if CMON's giant games were ever destroyed in a warehouse right before shipping to thousands of people.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

cyberia posted:

Have you ever wanted to play a Pacific Rim board game? War Titans is for you! I haven't looked at it too deeply so it might be terrible but worth checking out for anyone who is into mechs and kaiju.

What other projects have used this artist? Human Punishment caught my eye solely because of the art and I'd like to check out some more examples of it.
I was into War Titans when they first launched, but the price is way too high for me for what you get. The board's pretty ugly, too. I do like the knock-off model designs, though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bombadilillo posted:

That would be a lot of mini's. 236 monster standies. I wonder how many people would be interested and if it could economis of scale enough to not be insanely expensive. They had to price that out in development, right?

Also you could get the characters as standies if standies vs minis hurts your sensibilities. Which I think is weird but a cool thing to offer.
You'd also have to add a way to number the minis, as identical enemies operate on an individual numbered basis. It'd have to be something like a token placed on their base or something.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

You know, I was going back and forth on this one, but after having played Gloomhaven, I decided against it. The gameplay of Folklore seems too dependent on tons of luck-driven dice-rolls. Like, a major part of the combat is just rolling two d10s to see if you hit the other character. The skirmish encounters (world-map scale) where you're just rolling dice over and over to see if you kill the monster without any real input from the player seemed dire. And although the grid-based environment mats look nice at first glance, it appears like combat scenarios boil down to "run up to monster and stay there until it's dead" which eliminates any real movement strategy.

Gloomhaven showed how you needed to maneuver around hexes in a way that mattered and you could mitigate a lot of the luck through smart card usage. It also naturally supported 2 character runs by scaling enemy spawn counts while apparently you need at least 3-4 characters in Folklore to survive reliably.

I like grid-based mini co-op games, but after watching some gameplay previews of Folklore, my excitement drained and it just seemed tedious.

EDIT: I know these are largely different, but since they're both co-op games, I thought I'd mention it:

I took the huge pledge I would have spent on Folklore and decided to back Ironclad instead for $45 after shipping.

Yes, it also relies on luck and dice rolls, but I believe that the fun of the game is in deciding which of your characters to exhaust to deal with ship damage. It's also way cheaper than Folklore, takes up a ton less space, and has a cool Robotech/Space Battleship Yamato/Captain Harlock aesthetic to it. My only concern is that the Greek developers make sure that their English translation is on-point, but other than that, it looks unique and interesting.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vehementi posted:

I backed it this morning but there's still time to bail. Can you point me to the Folklore previews that influenced you?
I'd say the recent Dice Tower review that was posted a couple of days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APqw0oHRmxk
It was a positive review, but I saw the gameplay laid out and wasn't really impressed.
I also scanned through an official gameplay demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WadWK6SwYyQ

I also read a comment on a BGG review where someone was calculating that in a sample combat scenario, they'd have to roll the dice like 72 times to kill a monster or something like that. It just seemed too much out of the player's hands. There were also some mixed reviews of the mini quality and again the idea that you really need to have 3-4 characters to survive well turned me off (I usually play 2-player games or solo).