Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
BYOB's Extremely Chill Food & Beer Thread!
Share your favourit recipes that involves beer in one way or another. Baking, Cooking with beer is extremely under rated, help us rediscover the art of making food like a real bad rear end!

I am sharing my Viking Bread Recipes from my Grandmother - Pictures included! (Not of my grandmother, shame on you).

BYOB - Bring Your Own Bread!

The food magician is here, forget what they told you, let loose the inner thirst for beer, it is time to get baked!

Baking Uxzuigal's Super Secret BYOB Beer Bread!

Whatever your mother told you about beer isn't true. Beer is legendary. Beer is life. Hidden in one of the old tomes of cooking that my grandmother left when she passed (god bless her soul, she knew food like BYOB knows how to chill)... I found a recipe "Viking Beer Bread". I've decided to share this lovely piece of bakery with you guys, so you too can chill in the glory of beer bakery!

First of.. the ingredients to steal/pillage/demand in levy for your bridge/crossing - true to the viking spirit, the iron way:
3 Cups of Beer (7 Deciliter) (23.6698 fl oz, US)
1.5 Cups of Rye flour (4 Deciliter) (13.5256 fl oz, US)
3 Cups of Wheat flour (7 Deciliter) (23.6698 fl oz, US)
2 table spoons Honning,
2 tea spoons Salt
Yeast (50 grams fresh, or small packets of dry yeast [about 22g])

How to be awesome:
1) Warm up beer in a kettle til its lukewarm *DO NOT BOIL IT, WE ARE NOT SADISTS!*

2)
Mix flour, salt and *half* of the honey into your mixer (or bowl)

3)
Mix yeast, rest of honey and half of the beer in a bowl and mix it together by hand..

4)
Add the "Yeast Mix" to the mixer, mix is slightly and add rest of the beer - let it mix for 10min. Or 30min by hand (RIP).

5)
Put the bowl with dough in a hot water bath for 1 hour, let it rest til the dough is about twice as big (depends on flour type)

6)
Cut dough in two, put in two forms (or form them yourself). Let rest for another hour!

Nom Nom

7)
Put in oven @ 215c for 25-35min / 420farenheit (#getbaked)
Now is the time to make sacrifices to the gods and pray for a good yield...
You may add Himalayan pink salt on top,or sea salt on top for added taste.

Pro tip for knowing when the bread is done: Knock on top of bread, when it sounds hollow, it's done.

8)

9)
Now... FEAST LIKE A VIKING (Bit old picture but w/e)!

The recipe has *NO* water! If you need to add more liquid, add beer. Do not polute this awesome viking recipe with water!
Water can be replaced in *ANY* bread, buns, whatever else you bake (not sweet things though) for awesome added taste.

Try the bread with rasberry jam, Norwegian Brown Cheese (special import in the US) or peanut butter etc.. Enjoy :)

*If there is interest in more recipes and beer bakery magic, other stuff from Uxzuigal's tome of awesome, I will post more here*
Edit:
Some formating fuckery fixed.

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate
i have mixer envy now

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

i have mixer envy now

I got mixed feelings about this.

<3 <3 Vanisher

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate

Uxzuigal posted:

I got mixed feelings about this.

oh. i dont have a mixer so. yes. i too would like a big loving mixer. that would be neat.

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

oh. i dont have a mixer so. yes. i too would like a big loving mixer. that would be neat.

It is handy. But on the other hand: You get hands like the hulk if you don't have one. :D

<3 <3 Vanisher

Scathach

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Holy hell man. The instant I have an oven I'm doing this.

Piso Mojado

is this paleo friendly?

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

Piso Mojado posted:

is this paleo friendly?

Well, it's got grains, but you can use the healthier variants of flour, rye is rather decent, coarse. But you will need some wheat flour else it will be extremely hard to bake. Other than that however, it's pretty awesome and by far better than the poo poo you get in stores.. What you add onto the bread matters more :>

The alcohol is vaporized.

<3 <3 Vanisher

FluffieDuckie

does this come in a prefab version? i don't like work

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

FluffieDuckie posted:

does this come in a prefab version? i don't like work

Yes, but only at my AirBnB Room (Which is free for BYOB members!) :D
So you gotta visit the world heritage site in Norway for it :p

<3 <3 Vanisher

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Uxzuigal posted:

Yes, but only at my AirBnB Room (Which is free for BYOB members!) :D
So you gotta visit the world heritage site in Norway for it :p

wait... if i manage to stow away on a ship and make my way to norway i get a free place to stay and all the beer bread i can eat?

FluffieDuckie

there's going to be a rush of yobbers to norway

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

shinmai

CHK Instruction
Yes! Beer bread is the poo poo. Also, finally a recipe with ingredients I can actually find at my local store :D

Will try this with the wife when I get a change.

Uxzuigal posted:

*If there is interest in more recipes and beer bakery magic, other stuff from Uxzuigal's tome of awesome, I will post more here*

Can we post our own beer recepies, or beerpies as I like to say? I have a decent stout marinated chicken recipe I would love to share with the world.

FluffieDuckie posted:

there's going to be a rush of yobbers to norway

This. We've been meaning to visit Norway for a while now, as it's the only nordic country we haven't properly visited, and my wife studying to be a folklorist and all WHC sites would definitely be on the "places to see" list.

Robot Made of Meat

Do you have a picture of the inside of the bread?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

joke_explainer

Robot Made of Meat posted:

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

Luvcow posted:

wait... if i manage to stow away on a ship and make my way to norway i get a free place to stay and all the beer bread i can eat?

Pretty much :D
(Within resonable limits ofcourse :p A week is fine, a year is not :p)

Sorry, no - but next time I make one I will. It is coarse though rather than fine. Adding sunflower seeds is really nice.

shinmai posted:

Yes! Beer bread is the poo poo. Also, finally a recipe with ingredients I can actually find at my local store :D

Will try this with the wife when I get a change.

Can we post our own beer recepies, or beerpies as I like to say? I have a decent stout marinated chicken recipe I would love to share with the world.

This. We've been meaning to visit Norway for a while now, as it's the only nordic country we haven't properly visited, and my wife studying to be a folklorist and all WHC sites would definitely be on the "places to see" list.
Feel free to post more recipes for various beer stuff.
[FluffieDuckie, if you'd like I can edit the post abit to make it a collective beer recipe post, would you mind changing the thread title abit? "[Recipes Inside!]"

If you visit Norway, be sure to PM me and we'll show you around in Telemark and the world heritage site here. Goes for any fellow yobbers. :) We are pretty chill!

<3 <3 Vanisher

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

the calls are coming from inside the bread

edit: excellent effort post btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Uxzuigals' Awesome Beer Marinade!

Ingredient List:

Dark Beer (as always)
Cayenne Pepper (1 table spoon, depending on strength)
Cinnamon (1 tea spoonish)
Honey (1lbs +-)
Salt/Pepper
Garlic

Best used for pork or beef BBQ, let marinate for 24h.
I used it on a giant rear end 8lbs piece of beef, it was awesome.

<3 <3 Vanisher

• Locked thread