Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

C. Everett Koop posted:

Frank Wilson - UTSA. I think Wilson's only the second coach in Roadrunner history after Larry Coker, or at least as a major program, but I don't feel like looking that up to confirm/deny it. Either way, it's another Texas program to compete for the scraps the big boys leave behind, except said scraps sometimes turn out to be pretty drat good. They still playing home games in the Alamodome when they probably couldn't sell out the Spurs arena?

Larry Coker was in fact the first coach in program history. A 4-8 squad averaged 27,500 in 2014. They averaged 35,500 in year 1, 2011. Not bad for C-USA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Stockstill is safe if nothing else because his kid is a really loving good QB.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/Colt_247Sports/status/753635627027959808

Because offseason I guess

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Two chuckleheads on 790 were saying Herman is on vacation with his family and that he didn't meet with Baylor. Also, why now, I doubt it would be for 2016 so what would be the point of a meeting now?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

I GUESS C-USA IS STILL A THING?

Ron Turner - FIU. The AD forced out Mario Cristobol for Retread Ronnie, and he's been rewarded with a 10-26 record, albeit 5-7 last season. The move was scorned when it happened and it hasn't paid off, so unless the AD has some real solid support, it could be curtains for both real soon.

This hire lost me when it happened and I still don't get it at all :psyduck:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
MAC DADDY WILL MAKE YOU JUMP JUMP DADDY MAC WILL MAKE YOU JUMP JUMP

UNTOUCHABLE

Frank Solich - Ohio. He's long since proven that Nebraska were idiots for letting him go. He's also the undisputed king of MAC tenure, 11 years in Athens while the next highest is four. As I've ran into the ground time and time again, this is another coach who could have left for greener pastures if they wanted to but haven't for whatever reason, and both sides are ok with that. All that's missing from Solich's Ohio resume is a conference title, and once that happens they can start naming things after him.

SOLID

Terry Bowden - Akron. I'm not sure what Bowden's endgame is. He had success at Auburn, was out of the coaching game and on TV for the longest time, came back at North Alabama, and then went to Akron, where he got them to a bowl last year. I don't know if he's happy with Akron being his last stop or if he's pining to make one last move to a big time program, and it's hard to see any fanbase really accepting a coach of Bowden's age vs. a younger/hotter model. At 60, the window for making a move is closing rapidly, but he's got a decent safety net in that Akron's not going to can him unless things go (back) to poo poo, and so far they haven't. Ball's in Bowden's court but I don't know what the plan is.

Lance Leipold - Buffalo. At 5-7 in his first year at Buffalo, Leipold had more losses than he did in his entire tenure at Wisconsin-Whitewater, which is an insane fact. Yes he dominated D3 and that doesn't always translate to higher success, but it's still an inspired hire by Buffalo and a worthwhile gamble to take, and it's one that I think will pay off sooner than later. To me, it's one thing to say "yeah this guy was good at a lower level" and to say "this guy kicked the poo poo out of everyone at a lower level" and Leipold is the definition of the latter, which is why I'm very bullish on him. Bowl this year, MAC contention after that would be the preferred gameplan, and after that the world could be his oyster.

John Bonamego - Central Michigan. Replacing Danger Dan Enos after he ran off to be bert's wingman, Bonamego is an alum, which helps with the short term support. He also had to fight cancer this past season, so no matter what happens here it's going to gravy for him. CMU is one of those places that just kinda exists, they might be good or they might be bad or they might just be bleh and not affect things in the greater scheme. So if they've got an alum coaching, then everything should be peachy for a while.

Chuck Martin - Miami Ohio. 5-19 in two years in generally a recipe for a short tenure, but Miami was so freaking bad before Martin arrived that anything in the W column is celebrated. That's not to say that MOH could slip and Martin could be on the hot seat, and a repeat of three wins won't be celebrated as much as it was the first time around, but there's no real pressure on Martin to win the MAC this year, or even make a bowl. 4-5 wins keeps him in Solid, anything above is frosting.

P.J. Fleck - Western Michigan. For a guy who's 17-21 in three years, there's a metric pisston of hype behind him. He's the highest paid coach in the conference at 800 stacks, and considering it only got WMU 8 wins last season it's kinda hard to justify all of this hype. I know he's considered a "can't miss" coach but the road river to greatness is lined with "can't miss" talents who somehow didn't pan out. For what he's making, Fleck really needs results this season so he can then row his boat somewhere bigger and better, because if he doesn't his ship might get sunk.

UNDECIDED

Mike Neu - Ball State
Mike Jinks - Bowling Green
Jason Candle - Toledo

I couldn't pick any of these three out of a police lineup. I'm sure they were good coordinators at wherever they came from since this is the first head coaching job for all of them, and Jinks/Candle are walking into better situations than Neu is at Ball So Hard State, but the revolving door that's the MAC coaching roster has these three in it now. If they win they'll go somewhere and make money and do whatever, and if they lose they'll be shitcanned and go somewhere else to make money and do whatever. The circle of life, basically.

HEATING UP

Rod Carey - Northern Illinois. It's hard to call the only guy currently in the MAC with a conference title to their name someone who has to worry about their job security, but Carey's in the porous position of having to follow up unprecedented success and not living up to those unrealistic standards. He's 31-12 in three years, but those numbers have worsened leading to 8-6 last year, which raises the question of whether Carey can do it with his guys or not. We're not at do or die quite yet, but the natives will get restless if NIU falls off.

HE'S ON FIRE!

Chris Creighton - Eastern Michigan. I understand that this is probably the worst head coaching position available, since you've got absolutely nothing to work with and at least Hawai'i is in, you know, Hawai'i. And also EMU probably should be taking a good, hard look at whether they need to either drop down a division, if not football outright. But a 3-21 record still has you on the hot seat no matter where you are, and a repeat will have EMU people thinking that they need to give someone else a shot. Because someone else will always be willing to take that position, and besides, it's not like they could do worse.

Paul Haynes - Kent State. Following up to me mentioning that Bonamego at CMU is an alum, said factoid is good for short-term support but isn't means for a lifetime position. That's coming true now for Paul Haynes, who had the unfortunate circumstance to take over after the one good year in Kent State football history. 9-26 in three years, it's hard to see Haynes getting a fifth unless there's real progress this season, otherwise he and Darrell Hazell can join the ex-Kent coaches club, aka the unemployment line.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 23, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If memory serves, Solich had some demons (drinking, I think?) and that's kinda kept him out of the spotlight of going to bigger jobs. At this point it seems like Ohio's happy to let him ride out his career on 7-win seasons. He's 71 years old now. At this point he's more likely to retire than anything.

You're right on the confusion around Bowden. Akron's a disaster financially and while it's not a completely dead-end job, it seems like there's a ceiling of 8 wins at very most.

Leipold's a wild card and it'll be interesting to see where he goes. Buffalo will compete with BG for the MAC East title every so often but it's absurdly hard to recruit there. They have no indoor facilities at all, which is frankly stunning to me.

This is likely Fleck's year to make a move. NIU and Toledo are reloading, and if he can finally get Western to the MAC championship, that should get him a new job. If he doesn't, he's going to immediately drop back into also-ran status. Make no mistake, he recruited his rear end off and did a whale of a job to get Western to where they are now, but NIU and Toledo are going to bounce back very quickly.

Martin should be OK for the next year or two. The school knows fully well this is a long-term deal, and they quite honestly might have the worst facilities in the conference, save for Eastern. They're at least 15 years behind the MAC powerhouses in terms of program development.

I feel for Haynes. He's one of the nicest guys in the conference and doing his damndest at his alma mater with a really thin assistant budget and I think a year or two ago there was some scuttlebutt about folding the program. Likely more rumor than truth but it's a shame to see that at all. They finally renovated Dix stadium, which was badly needed, but I don't think they have much in terms of facilities outside of that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think how impressed you are with Leipold winning a shitload of games at whitewater is inversely proportional to how familiar you are with DIII sports

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

I think how impressed you are with Leipold winning a shitload of games at whitewater is inversely proportional to how familiar you are with DIII sports

How much better is DIII to naia?

Metal Sonichu
May 18, 2013

C. Everett Koop posted:

And also EMU probably should be taking a good, hard look at whether they need to either drop down a division, if not football outright.

The school's had to deal with alumni refusing to donate money after they changed their team's name to Eagles due to the NCAA's collective hard-on to be politically correct about Native American nicknames (they were previously known as the Hurons). That, and being in the shadow of Ann Arbor and UM.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

How much better is DIII to naia?

NAIA can sort of almost pay players.
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/12/17/7407699/naia-football-profile-paying-players

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope they aren't paying for those players because level of play is just awful. It would be a waste of the University's money to pay for such poor performances
E: not including scholarships and what not

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Metal Sonichu posted:

The school's had to deal with alumni refusing to donate money after they changed their team's name to Eagles due to the NCAA's collective hard-on to be politically correct about Native American nicknames (they were previously known as the Hurons). That, and being in the shadow of Ann Arbor and UM.

Since 1980 Eastern has had exactly 6 winning seasons, had 2 winless seasons, lost 27 straight games, and they've been to 2 bowl games ever. Their problems go far beyond alumni being mad about a name change.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But political correctness gone mad! Thanks Obama.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
THERE'S SCHOOLS OTHER THAN BOISE STATE IN THE MWC?????

I really don't know the MWC/Fun Belt (I don't know the other conferences either but here even more so) so these'll be shorter than the other ones. Still bad, of course.

UNTOUCHABLE

Troy Calhoun - Air Force. Mr. Howdy Doody himself. Clubhouse leader in tenure at 9 years and an alum of the academy as well. He's not quite on the level as Niumatalolo but it's hard to see him going anywhere voluntarily or the school dismissing him without drastic things happening.

SOLID

Bryan Harsin - Boise State. Similar to Helfrich at Oregon and Rod Carey at NIU, the dropoff last season is reason to pump the brakes a little bit. The Bluefielders could easily return to their recent glory or they could continue to struggle, at which point everyone declares that Boise Was Always Bad and they return to being a team on a gimmicky field. Harsin being an alum gives him some extra points that are negated by Boise's recent success.

Mike Bobo - Colorado State. Bobo didn't run the ball at Georgia enough to make the Dawg fans happy, but that's not humanly possible. 7-6 in year one after taking over for McElwain, so Bobo's off to a good start.

Bob Davie - New Mexico. Took a little bit of time but Davie got New Mexico to the forbidden lands of postseason eligibility this past season, which means he'll probably be named the mayor or something. A similar case to Terry Bowden in that I'm not sure what Davie's end game is going to be, and he's at the same age as Bowden so if a move's going to be made, it's now or never.

Rocky Long - San Diego State. I'm not going to pretend to know what happened between Long and his alma mater New Mexico, but Long landed in a good situation at SDSU. He's probably Untouchable, if only because at 66 y/o he's more likely to retire than leave/be fired, but that he's closer to the finish line is what keeps him down in this category.

Tony Sanchez - UNLV. Just 3-9 in his first season, but the community is happy that one of their own is getting a shot at making the Rebs less than terrible. Whether or not Sanchez will be able to pull that off is another issue, but so far so good.

Matt Wells - Utah State. 25-16 in three years. We'll see what happens once he stops throwing the corpse of Chuckie Keaton out there.

UNDECIDED

Nick Rolovich - Hawai'i. Good luck young fella. He's back at his alma mater and making absolute chump change, but I'm bearish on anyone having success at the Big Island in this day and age, and The Rainbow Warriors having a football team doesn't seem like it's sustainable unless The Rock personally funds/coaches/swims everything to the Mainland.

HEATING UP

Tim DeRuyter - Fresno State. Fresno had their run with Derek Carr and fell off last season, so it'll buy DeRuyter a little time to find a rebound.

Brian Polian - Nevada. Three years, 18-20 record. Not quite at do or die yet since the Wolfpack did make a bowl last year. If the Pack completely falls apart he might get canned but it's not a guarantee.

Ron Caragher - San Jose State. Caragher got his team to bowl eligibility, albeit against a conference team, in a win or bust season, so he gets to hang around for a bit longer. He's only signed through next season, so unless I missed next of an extension there'll need to be a judgement soon.

HE'S ON FIRE!

Craig Bohl - Wyoming. He set South Dakota State up for their recent glory run, but as we've seen the Bison have been just fine after Bohl while the Cowboys have struggled to just 6-18, 2-10 last year. It was a questionable move at the time and hasn't paid off for Bohl yet, and if it doesn't pay off this season it'll be looked upon as one of the more foolish coaching changes in recent history.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
FINE I GUESS I'LL DO THE FUN BELT JUST TO FINISH THIS OFF

UNTOUCHABLE

None. RIP Larry Blakeney.

SOLID

Scott Satterfield - App State. App and Georgia Southern have made the transition from FCS to FBS look like child's play, which makes me think we should take mercy on the rest of FCS and put North Dakota State into a bowl or something. Add in that Satterfield is an alum and there's no reason for this relationship to break up. The reason that it's not Untouchable is because Satterfield is only 43 and could outgrow his current position, especially if he wins the conference in the next couple of years. Good problems to have imo.

Blake Anderson - Arkansas State. It looks like the revolving door of Red Wolves coaches has come to a halt for now, much to the chagrin of the athletic department budget that was being fueled by coaching buyouts. Anderson won the conference last year after a mediocre first season, and keeping a coach around for more than a cup of coffee is progress in Jonesboro. But we know that one does not set down roots at Arkansas State, so I'd expect to see Anderson move on to bigger and better relatively soon.

Trent Miles - Georgia State. Similar to Willie Taggert at USF in that Miles looked like he was done until putting together a late run, which saved his job. Miles has been bringing GST along from nothing so he deserves a bit of leeway, even after two really bad seasons. I think anything more than three wins buys him another year, although it'll drop him down into the hot seat if they come close to bottoming out.

Mark Hudspeth - Louisiana-Lafayette. Last season's 4-8 was an aberration from someone who's had success with the Cajuns. He's got a winning record in five years at the school and a >.600 winning percentage overall, so one rough year shouldn't do him in. What is worth noting is that Hudspeth's making a milli plus per season, and considering Louisiana's budget crisis it may turn into a case where he's highly encouraged to find another job, just so that money can come off their books and ULL can hire someone in the 400-500k range.

Neal Brown - Troy. 4-8 isn't a great start, but Larry Blakeney was fading off at the end of his long tenure there. We'll re-evaluate after this season whether Brown should be updating his resume or not, but I think he'll get a third year regardless.

UNDECIDED

Tyson Summers - Georgia Southern. As long as he runs the triple option everything will be fine. GSU's been the other half of the SoCon Connection that's taken the Fun Belt by storm, but we'll have to see how things go without Willie Fritz.

Matt Viator - Louisiana-Monroe. He's got his work cut out for him. 78-33 at his alma mater McNeese State, but resources are few and far between in Louisiana these days.

Everett Withers - Texas State. If that same kinda sounds familiar, Withers was UNC's interim coach from when Butch Davis was canned right before a season began. He's been at James Madison and now heads down to Texas, where he fights for the scraps that even North Texas and Rice will pick over, which generally means *** kids and dudes who can't read.

HEATING UP

Joey Jones - South Alabama. At seven years with the Jags Jones has the tenure lead, even though that time hasn't all been in the Sun Belt. 5-7 last year, just 45-42 overall, not great but not spectacular. If he rebounds and makes a bowl Jones should climb back into Solid, otherwise it'll be make or break next season.

HE'S ON FIRE!

Paul Petrino - Idaho. It's actually a surprise that Petrino's still employed here, considering the meltdowns he's had. Idaho's going to be leaving us and heading back to the FCS ranks soon, which is the smart move for a school in an undesirable geographical location. Sometimes life just won't let you play with the big boys. 6-29 in three years, I don't expect great things from the Vandals this season and I don't expect Petrino to go down to FCS with this ship.

Doug Martin - New Mexico State. Splitting his time between running the ball for the Buccaneers and coaching a team, Martin had a little more success than Petrino (7 wins), but now has to live the life of an independent until the admin throws in the towel. At 36-82 between his stops at New Mexico State and Kent State, maybe Martin should think about going somewhere less desolate next time around.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Trent Miles did an astounding job to drag Georgia State to a bowl last year and he's finally got a team of more than just JuCo kids and walk-ons. Blowing out Georgia Southern to finish the season was unreal. He should get at least 4-5 wins again this year but jesus christ having to on the road to Air Force, Wisconsin, and App State all in a row is a brutal opening.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there's big time beckman news

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Firing Tim Beckman before a season starts is a time honored tradition now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ol' tim beckman's at it again, folks

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
bim teckman

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Going (briefly) back to the MAC, I would be astonished if Fleck wasn't picked up by someone after this year, even for a mediocre season. I would hate it forever as a Bronco alum, but the guy can flat-out recruit like no one's business (247 gave WMU the best recruiting class in the MAC by a wide margin after a season where they won one game a couple years ago). Throw in that he's a solid, offensively-minded coach, and how many P5 schools who have national name recognition but dismal on-field product wouldn't try to scoop that up (like, say, Kentucky)? I get that a lot of people view this as Fleck's "put up or shut up" year, but I really don't think he necessarily has to win the conference to still get some very tender offers that WMU can't match. And then I'll cry my heart out because we can't have nice things

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

Scionix posted:

bim teckman

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

Going (briefly) back to the MAC, I would be astonished if Fleck wasn't picked up by someone after this year, even for a mediocre season. I would hate it forever as a Bronco alum, but the guy can flat-out recruit like no one's business (247 gave WMU the best recruiting class in the MAC by a wide margin after a season where they won one game a couple years ago). Throw in that he's a solid, offensively-minded coach, and how many P5 schools who have national name recognition but dismal on-field product wouldn't try to scoop that up (like, say, Kentucky)? I get that a lot of people view this as Fleck's "put up or shut up" year, but I really don't think he necessarily has to win the conference to still get some very tender offers that WMU can't match. And then I'll cry my heart out because we can't have nice things

Welcome to life as a MAC fan, bud. Nobody's making a career here these days :sigh:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Richrod still has the school bending over backwards to make him happy, and that's probably going to go on for quite a while. But there's almost an anti-buzz to football this year (which isn't that unusual if you've been in Tucson long enough), and it's not unprecedented for the community to just say "ah gently caress it" after the first loss of the year and then the team's basically just playing for the student section. That might make that call from West Virgina a lot more attractive. I hope I'm wrong!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RichRod seems to have a great relationship with Greg Byrne and I don't think expectations at Arizona are exactly super high so I'd imagine he's pretty safe.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Rick posted:

Richrod still has the school bending over backwards to make him happy, and that's probably going to go on for quite a while. But there's almost an anti-buzz to football this year (which isn't that unusual if you've been in Tucson long enough), and it's not unprecedented for the community to just say "ah gently caress it" after the first loss of the year and then the team's basically just playing for the student section. That might make that call from West Virgina a lot more attractive. I hope I'm wrong!

Richrod is in the tough spot of having to play (by looking at their schedule) 4-5 games (this season) that could go either way this year and the power dynamic of the Pac12 shifting away from Oregon the last few years to maybe USC coming back in a big way. I don't really know that WVU would be any easier for him to win or maintain success at, with Texas, OU, Baylor, and TCU on the docket too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm gonna guess recruiting to Arizona is a bit easier these days than to WVU but who knows anymore.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DJExile posted:

RichRod seems to have a great relationship with Greg Byrne and I don't think expectations at Arizona are exactly super high so I'd imagine he's pretty safe.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Richrod is in the tough spot of having to play (by looking at their schedule) 4-5 games (this season) that could go either way this year and the power dynamic of the Pac12 shifting away from Oregon the last few years to maybe USC coming back in a big way. I don't really know that WVU would be any easier for him to win or maintain success at, with Texas, OU, Baylor, and TCU on the docket too.

Oh, the WVU thing was more in reference to C. Everett Koop's breakdown of his job security. He's super safe as far as the school is concerned, I more worry about him getting bored.

Expectations are weird, because they're low, but because they're so low it's a tough ticket to sell. It's still one of the cheapest tickets in college football even though they've installed some more expensive seats, and it's a lovely experience as long as it's not a day game before November, but people just won't come out to see anyone but the Southern California schools if the team isn't ranked top 10. I think most fans are still pleasantly surprised when the team gets into a bowl but only barely more interested than when the team only wins 3-4 games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sounds to me that's more on the school in general (and Byrne in specific) finding ways to market them.

Overall I think Rich is pretty happy at Arizona. He's in a good conference and gets to play occasional spoiler to the heavyweights while still getting to cruise to at least bowl eligibility every year.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mercenarynuker posted:

Purdue seems like a good fit. He's a great recruiter that I'm still not sure can coach. I was happy we didn't get him.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Who will be the first coach fired of the 2016 season

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pillsburysoldier posted:

I mean, the carousel started with Briles, so... Art Briles?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Well, as far as first fired during the season...

I'll go with Malzahn. Auburn's gonna get crushed by Clemson, and looking at their schedule I could see them start off 3-3.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Wildcard answer: Charlie Strong

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TipTow posted:

Well, as far as first fired during the season...

I'll go with Malzahn. Auburn's gonna get crushed by Clemson, and looking at their schedule I could see them start off 3-3.

I really don't think Malzahn is in as much hot water as people think. I don't know who would be available that they would want. Maybe the Houston guy if he leaves, but there are a lot of schools who would be after him. Auburn's AD has really tied himself to Malzahn and the recent contract extension makes me think firing Malzahn would cost him his job as well.

That said I'm sure there is some scenario where he does poorly enough to lose him job, but I think it's a lot lower than people are assuming.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gus could be a dead man walking by Sept. 17 but I'd bet he finishes the season.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Gus could be a dead man walking by Sept. 17 but I'd bet he finishes the season.

I want this to happen except he beats Alabama

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I want this to happen except he beats Alabama

In desperation I watched some youtube guy simulate the season in one of the NCAA games (with updated rosters maybe? at least the names were changed). Auburn went 7-5 with losses to Miss state, Ole Miss, Arky, and aTm, but beat bama in overtime. I would be okay with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

DJExile posted:

Overall I think Rich is pretty happy at Arizona. He's in a good conference and gets to play occasional spoiler to the heavyweights while still getting to cruise to at least bowl eligibility every year.

Hey, Coach Drewhead take that and 3+mil and be happy forever. But I think that is a misread on what makes these guys tick. These are ultra competitive dudes. They want to win; they want to win badly. If they think they have a better chance at winning at another opportunity they are gonna take that. I think the complacency of "Hey, dude is comfortable and under low pressure" just isn't driving their decision making.

Now, can Rich Rod win more at Arizona or WVa is a legitimate debate. But thinking WVa isn't attractive to him because he's in a comfortable spot in Az is in my opinion naive.

• Locked thread