Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Saban is about to get mega fuckin' paid

FBScoop posted:

Alabama: The UA Board’s compensation committee will meet on Tuesday to approve new contracts for Nick Saban, his on-field staff, Scott Cochran and new AD Greg Byrne. It’ll be the first time Saban’s deal has been revisited since 2014. He currently makes $6.9 million in base compensation through 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

David Cutcliffe has been extended through 2021 at Duke. No financial terms disclosed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

David Cutcliffe has been extended through 2021 at Duke. No financial terms disclosed.

I thought I'd heard he was in declining health at some point, did I just fall for some negative recruiting?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

DJExile posted:

I know it's all self funded through the athletic department revenue, but surly there has to be some upper limit right? I can't help but feel like these insane contracts aren't great for the sport in general

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think coaching salaries will gradually go down after the next round of broadcast rights negotiations. The floundering of ESPN shows that we're at the high water mark of how much money networks can pay for TV rights.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

I think coaching salaries will gradually go down after the next round of broadcast rights negotiations. The floundering of ESPN shows that we're at the high water mark of how much money networks can pay for TV rights.

This is kinda how I see it too. I get the feeling we're going to plateau or drop back at some point.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I know it's all self funded through the athletic department revenue, but surly there has to be some upper limit right? I can't help but feel like these insane contracts aren't great for the sport in general

Depends a bit on the school/conference. The odds of the MAC ever having a coach making over $1m base pay are basically zero. On top of that, schools seem to be a lot more trigger-happy to fire coaches these days so overall pay to a coach may not be as huge in the long run either. Bama's obviously it's own pretty unique case.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

This is kinda how I see it too. I get the feeling we're going to plateau or drop back at some point.

Depends a bit on the school/conference. The odds of the MAC ever having a coach making over $1m base pay are basically zero. On top of that, schools seem to be a lot more trigger-happy to fire coaches these days so overall pay to a coach may not be as huge in the long run either. Bama's obviously it's own pretty unique case.

I imagine Fleck was close last year after bonuses and all that. But Saban's the curve-breaker since any coach wanting Saban money would be told to produce Saban results. But then again, Harbaugh's the exception to that rule, so who knows.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

I imagine Fleck was close last year after bonuses and all that. But Saban's the curve-breaker since any coach wanting Saban money would be told to produce Saban results. But then again, Harbaugh's the exception to that rule, so who knows.

Yeah he was over 1mil with bonuses but I really doubt you see it as a base pay, and he was a pretty unique case.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

weelllllllllllp

quote:

Nick Saban has agreed to an 8-year contract extension through January 31, 2025. Steve Berkowitz points out that Saban will make $11.25 million this season that includes a $4 million signing bonus.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

From a quick look, dude's now the highest-paid coach in the US. Even the pro sports, as if the FBS isn't one. He makes $4 million more than any player in the MLS.

Saban's pay is more on the level of European football than American football. Even then, depending on exchange rates he's anywhere from the tenth to fourth highest-paid coach in the world.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

weelllllllllllp

So is the 4 million signing bonus INCLUDED in the 11M+ or on top of it? Wording seems to imply it could be either.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Akileese posted:

So is the 4 million signing bonus INCLUDED in the 11M+ or on top of it? Wording seems to imply it could be either.

Included, best I can tell. 7.whatever million plus the 4m signing bonus for this season. Next year he'll be back in the 7m range (up until Bama gives him another extension/signing bonus).

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Included, best I can tell. 7.whatever million plus the 4m signing bonus for this season. Next year he'll be back in the 7m range (up until Bama gives him another extension/signing bonus).

Cheers. That's what I figured because nearly doubling a coaches salary in the current TV climate seems to be insane.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Should have paid him more imo

Give Alabama a lottery for it

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Bama OLB coach is now making 950K

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That OLB coach is making more than their athletic director :stare:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

DJExile posted:

44th in education, but goddamn if they don't have rings to show for it. Roll tide.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

44th in education, but goddamn if they don't have rings to show for it. Roll tide.

I didn't come here to play school

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Mississippi is 50th* and they ain't won poo poo, could be worse!

*Did not actually look this up but am still extremely confident it is true

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Korranus posted:

From a quick look, dude's now the highest-paid coach in the US. Even the pro sports, as if the FBS isn't one. He makes $4 million more than any player in the MLS.

Saban's pay is more on the level of European football than American football. Even then, depending on exchange rates he's anywhere from the tenth to fourth highest-paid coach in the world.

Crazy that he makes more than his mentor, Bill Belichick. I mean it seems crazy Belichick isn't the highest paid coach in American sports by a wide margin. I don't know too much about NFL rules but does the coach's salary count towards the salary cap?

MourningView posted:

Eh... Mississippi or West Virginia, works for both.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

All the marquee patriots are getting paid under the table and i think everyone just accepts it

even though it makes no sense since coaching salaries don't count against the cap but gently caress it the patriots cheat at literally every level.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The previous highest paid coach in US sports was Greg Popovich which is pretty hard to argue with

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

I assume the Bama state motto is still "Thank God for Mississippi "

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

an adult beverage posted:

I believe both of them are actually ahead of Alabama.

South Carolina is the worst.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

it alternates between alabama, mississippi, and louisiana.

that's just as far as southern states go. I'm sure WV could give them all a run for their money.

Sash! posted:

I believe both of them are actually ahead of Alabama.

South Carolina is the worst.

/deep breath

south carolina is not that bad

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

South Carolina is "shoddy at best" when it comes to education.

I didn't find any list that put them higher than 43rd and a couple that ranked them 50th.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oh we're just talking about education?

yeah south carolina is a charnel house

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

/deep breath

As a blue dot in this deep red shithole, I can attest that Greenville and the coastal cities aren't that bad. Charleston is a gem that is being drowned in tourons and transplants with no plan for development or our deepening housing bubble.

Everything in between is disgraceful. Rural areas are painfully racist, sinfully poor and intentionally underfunded. The political climate is abhorrent, the education is heartbreakingly deficient and the infrastructure is crumbling in place while state pols scream that taxation is theft.

Politicians alternate between knocking each other down to give tax breaks to corporations and proposing religious freedom bills to affirm that Earth is 6000 years old.

I love SC and I loving hate SC.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

greenville-spartanburg is great

charleston is god tier and i might go to grad school

everything else....man. looking at you myrtle beach

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Fiz, is it too late for you to go to nursing school. CRNA is the way my man.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

swickles posted:

This. My fiance is an RN and holy poo poo I hosed up not becoming a nurse.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

This. My fiance is an RN and holy poo poo I hosed up not becoming a nurse.

For real. Half the income of an anesthesiologist, so like 150 to 250k with zero liability and significantly less investment on the front end.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

swickles posted:

For real. Half the income of an anesthesiologist, so like 150 to 250k with zero liability and significantly less investment on the front end.

And the lifestyle man. Working three days a week. And the whole travel nursing thing. Like yeah night shift sucks and you work really hard and have to deal with death but seriously people convince your kids to become nurses.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

an adult beverage posted:

The unofficial state motto for West Virginia is "Thank God for Mississippi", and to bring it back around to the thread topic, for as much an idiot Jim Justice is for loving with the Marshall coaching search, he's at least attempting to stop the Kansas/Wisconsin gut everything approach by our state legislature.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

drunk leprechaun posted:

And the lifestyle man. Working three days a week. And the whole travel nursing thing. Like yeah night shift sucks and you work really hard and have to deal with death but seriously people convince your kids to become nurses.

Yeah but do nurses get fame and bitches?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yeah but do nurses get fame and bitches?

Fame is terrible and the healthcare industry is stacked with attractive, fit people.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

That's way more school and you can make just as much or even more as a PA.

And poo poo, I can go into psych and make 150 dollars an hour working for the VA. And you make your own schedule!

Saucer Crab posted:

The unofficial state motto for West Virginia is "Thank God for Mississippi", and to bring it back around to the thread topic, for as much an idiot Jim Justice is for loving with the Marshall coaching search, he's at least attempting to stop the Kansas/Wisconsin gut everything approach by our state legislature.

You can do 3 12s as a PA.

You can basically do 3 12s as anything higher than like a LPN.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Or you can be a 911 paramedic and do 3x as much as nurses with a shittier schedule, hazardous work conditions, and less pay.

:suicide:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Or you can be a 911 paramedic and do 3x as much as nurses with a shittier schedule, hazardous work conditions, and less pay.

:suicide:

Yeah that's a rough gig man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Texas: Regents have approved contracts for Tom Herman’s assistants, via the Austin American-Statesman — defensive coordinator Todd Orlando, 3 years, $1.09 million annually; offensive coordinator Tim Beck, 3 years, $790,000; safeties coach Craig Naivar ($490,000); running backs coach Stan Drayton ($485,000); strength coach Yancy McKnight ($425,000); defensive line coach Oscar Giles ($390,000); offensive line coach Derek Warehime ($390,000); and wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer ($340,000). McKnight and the position coaches signed 2-year deals.

• Locked thread