Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Is Houston Nutt still available cuz that's one more SEC school to add to his trail of tears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This could be like that thing where a ton of reports came out that Todd Grantham had been fired from UGA, and everyone essentially said "Good Riddance." It was used as a litmus test to show that the fan base was totally fine if he got shown the door, money be damned.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If LSU needs a new OC Brian Schottenheimer is probably going to be looking for a new gig after the Colts fire him

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
What coaches are available right now for LSU?

Obviously Tom Herman but he might not leave Houston.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
^^^
They'll ride Coach O to the end of the season before sending a dump truck full of money west down I-10; I really doubt they'll make a hire before then

Miles' son, Ben, is committed to Nebraska; let's find a cushy QC gig for him or something

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game
Who wins in a bidding war between Houston and LSU? Doesn't Houston have a few really loaded boosters?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Who wins in a bidding war between Houston and LSU? Doesn't Houston have a few really loaded boosters?

I know coaches typically want to coach at high profile schools because they crave going up the ladder, but I'd never want to go to a SEC West team. Every year Alabama will probably curb stomp you and a single additional loss will make the fanbase call for your head.

So hopefully Herman stays at Houston where he's probably safe for at least a few/several seasons.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Both have oil money, but I have the sneaking suspicion that LSU and their associated boosters will outspend on a really, really stupid deal if they had to.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Well this'll make Ole Miss / LSU more interesting.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
COACH O RIDES AGAIN! This is the best Sunday news.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I'm not sad to see him go, but was a lot of fun while he was here.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

SourKraut posted:

I know coaches typically want to coach at high profile schools because they crave going up the ladder, but I'd never want to go to a SEC West team. Every year Alabama will probably curb stomp you and a single additional loss will make the fanbase call for your head.

So hopefully Herman stays at Houston where he's probably safe for at least a few/several seasons.

I predict he goes to LSU for a huge pile of money. LSU has great homefield advantage and amazing in-state recruiting. They own Lousiana. Houston will always have to fight Baylor, Texas Tech, and TCU for the table scraps cast aside by UT and Texas A&M (and Oklahoma) in Texas recruiting. Saban has a monster in Tuscaloosa, but he's 64 and won't be at this level forever.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm kinda of the opinion that if your coach won you a national title within the last ten or so years he should get a free pass for another twenty but hey, if everybody at LSU wanted him gone then c'est la vie

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

LLCoolJD posted:

I predict he goes to LSU for a huge pile of money. LSU has great homefield advantage and amazing in-state recruiting. They own Lousiana. Houston will always have to fight Baylor, Texas Tech, and TCU for the table scraps cast aside by UT and Texas A&M (and Oklahoma) in Texas recruiting. Saban has a monster in Tuscaloosa, but he's 64 and won't be at this level forever.

Saban probably has at least 10 years left in him I bet, the guy can't retire because he'd get bored, and as long as he continues his current success, he can ride his recent national championship wins for top recruiting classes for at least another 5 years regardless of if he wins a NC or not in that time.

So sure, Herman could go to LSU, but he'd be in Saban's shadow that whole time, and without a NC win I doubt LSU's fans or boosters let him go 5-10 years until Saban would retire.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I think LSU fans would happily accept just getting to "has competent quarterback".

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I want to see some Petrino to LSU chatter.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LLCoolJD posted:

God no. No.

Nononononononono.

No.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm going to accidentally let the time run down in the last seconds of the 4th quarter in Miles' honor

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

LLCoolJD posted:

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

In the end it was Les Miles' terrible time management that killed him. Let us all take a time out when by not telling our team what play to call until 5 seconds on the play clock amen

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

I adore Les and it's painful to see him leave LSU. He's a thoroughly decent, thoroughly weird dude who genuinely cares about his players and won a ton of games. With that said, there are some very real upsides:
  • May we never hear of Cam Cameron or that loving moron Gary Crowton ever again.
  • LSU has replaced Weird with Weirder, thanks to Interim HC DACOACHO
  • LSU will either respond by playing lights-out or by laying down flat. I would bet on the former, given Orgeron's history.
  • If I were a fan of a remaining team on LSU's schedule I would be more scared of the Tigers now than I would've been with Les at the helm. That kind of says it all about why he was fired.

As far as replacements are concerned, it's hard to not like the idea of Herman. But I hope LSU keeps the door open to Orgeron if the team plays to its talent level under him. (And as much as I personally despise Bobby Petrino, it would be hard to argue he wouldn't check a lot of boxes. :barf:)

Sent from my iPad fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 25, 2016

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe LSU can bring Saban back

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

SourKraut posted:

Saban probably has at least 10 years left in him I bet, the guy can't retire because he'd get bored, and as long as he continues his current success, he can ride his recent national championship wins for top recruiting classes for at least another 5 years regardless of if he wins a NC or not in that time.

So sure, Herman could go to LSU, but he'd be in Saban's shadow that whole time, and without a NC win I doubt LSU's fans or boosters let him go 5-10 years until Saban would retire.

Bama is not guaranteed to beat LSU if LSU hires a spread offensive guru coach, Bama can barely handle Ole Miss and LSU gets better players than Ole Miss does.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
fire lovie hire Les

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I get it but man that is a high standard for the next guy to live up to. If you're in the SEC and aren't Saban you basically have to look over your shoulder at all times.

It's not like LSU is bulletproof either. Their coaches pre-Saban were Gary Dinardo and Curley Hallman. It's a great job but they can definitely do a lot worse

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 25, 2016

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

mastershakeman posted:

fire lovie hire Les

What can Les do w/o top 5 talent?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo: gently caress you forever LSU hotty toddy you swamp-hicks I hope your football program sinks

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gret posted:

What can Les do w/o top 5 talent?

He was comfortably in the 7-9 win range at Okie State so probably that. I imagine we'll find out pretty soon

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

MourningView posted:

I get it but man that is a high standard for the next guy to life up to. If you're in the SEC and aren't Saban you basically have to look over your shoulder at all times.
If Saban had two 3-loss seasons in a row I can guarantee he'd be having to look over his shoulder, too.

quote:

It's not like LSU is bulletproof either. Their coaches pre-Saban were Gary Dinardo and Curley Hallman. It's a great job but they can definitely do a lot worse
LSU fans have forgotten the pre-Saban years and seem to believe the program is a bit more prominent than it actually is. Which is how folks convince themselves that Jimbo's going to leave FSU mid-season to come coach the Tigers against Bama.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
That's a pretty brutal way to go for one of the best coaches in program history, but as my boy Jeremy Foley says "what must be done eventually should be done immediately."

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

LLCoolJD posted:

Petrino and Four Mystery Women Involved In Inexplicable Jet-Ski Crash On Bourbon Street

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Can we buy Les Miles? I'm willing to try a different SEC head coach.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is there any way that they can allow coach o to enter the stadium on a fanboat

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
How did a guy who made Vandy a 9-4 team twice fail to hit that same mark at Penn State

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Pakled posted:

How did a guy who made Vandy a 9-4 team twice fail to hit that same mark at Penn State

Franklin just wasn't a good enough fit for Penn State's culture, which is why they'll hire Art Briles

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

With Les gone, this mean every SEC team has changed coach since Saban went to Bama

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Pakled posted:

Some coaches can only do well in smaller programs, like Dan Hawkins.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

pillsburysoldier posted:

Some coaches can only do well in smaller programs, like Dan Hawkins.

Hawkins tried to make Colorado a smaller program. Still didn't work.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Bama is not guaranteed to beat LSU if LSU hires a spread offensive guru coach, Bama can barely handle Ole Miss and LSU gets better players than Ole Miss does.

have you not been paying attention to the players ole miss has been "acquiring" recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Spintzel posted:

With Les gone, this mean every SEC team has changed coach since Saban went to Bama

He has become death, destroyer of worlds.

Seriously. Dude came in, made Bama almost unbeatable, and watched as every other coach in the loving conference burned in his fire.

• Locked thread