Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Lasagna Pilot posted:

How long do LSU, aTm, and Auburn decide to wait before they put the full court press on Briles?

I figure it will start with a paid consultancy, then a coordinator position.

Depends on the length of the show cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Toilet Mouth posted:

Best move for Baylor is to retain the current staff in hopes that Briles alone is enough to satisfy the public. Make Phil Bennett interim HC next year (he has HC experience), and then see if they can bring back Philip Montgomery from Tulsa to be the new HC at the end of next season.

Probably not tenable given the desire to distance themselves from Briles' legacy, but from a football standpoint it's probably the best outcome fans can hope for. I guarantee that anybody they could bring in from the outside this offseason isn't someone they would want to commit to long term.

Also the report indicates it wasnt just Briles, but other coaches doing this poo poo too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think they all will be after the year. Its almost impossible to put an entire staff together this quickly

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Les still has Cam Cameron to fire/blame for his woes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MourningView posted:

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/repo...m_medium=Social

LSU to "gauge the interest" of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Bob Stoops, because shooters gotta shoot.

I actually hope everyone with an opening does this. "Hi, Urban, I'm with Florida International University and I was wondering if you-hello?"

No joke, FIU is going to be legit in a few years. The amount of money being thrown around at that school in literally every department would blow you away. I wouldn't be surprised if they do go after someone like Les Miles to grow the program.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

FIU is a state-system university in a state run by someone who hates spending money on education and it's basically a commuter school. Where the hell are they getting all this money?

The school expanded and became really big like in the 90s and early 00s, so I imagine they are starting to reap alumni donations. They also just built a med school and were able to poach a ton of talent from UM and secure a ton of affiliates. Other than that, I am not sure where else they are getting the money, but now I would say that there school facilities and faculty are better than UM, which is crazy because (at least in medicine) UM was seen as impossible to dethrone as the place with the most talent in south Florida.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Spintzel posted:

I was thinking of UCF but FIU is ranked 4th in the US in enrollment. Which is still impressive as hell

Yeah, like I said its major expansion was over a decade ago, so now the alumni are at the stage where they can afford to donate.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

an adult beverage posted:

Yeah that's a good comparison. Even more apt that GT's former AD is at Purdue also.

I think the best chance Purdue has is going a wacky nonstandard offense and carve out a niche. Sort of like the Mike Leach days at Texas Tech and WSU or even triple option like Navy or GT. They aren't ever going to compete if they try to replicate OSU or Michigan since they will always be outrecruited by those programs.

I think I am ready for the first A-11 offense at the NCAA level.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

At Florida Charlie would have a terrible defense one year and an amazing one the next with the exact same kids. I think there is just a learning curve to his system from the player side, but once they get it that defense is really good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Phil Knight ready to go full on SMU.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Yeah this could be a good job if he's able to recruit without getting sanctions. Mario Cristobal was able to get 4 guys who were drafted into the NFL to go there, but I'm not sure if they where highly sought after players.

Where FIU will be able to excel is in getting a ton of 3 star athletes. They might get a 4 star here or there, but the rich recruiting ground, the recent improvements made to the campus and stadium (honestly, place is looking better than UM and I say that as a UM alum), and the promise of actual play time and early on, and they should be able to rack up tons of 3 stars who want to play rather than sit on the bench at Bama, Ohio St, Florida, FSU, etc. I said a couple weeks ago, there is a ton of money being thrown around FIU right now, and its a great area to be in.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MourningView posted:

Do you even care if your FIU? Worst case you...go back to pretty much being FIU

Are you kidding? This is the city of Miami we are talking about. We prefer to win with scandal than without it. If there is a recruiting trip without strippers and blow is it actually a recruiting trip?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

General Dog posted:

Purdue plays in the Big Ten and gets the corresponding money that comes along with that.

Any other P5 school could easily match or out pay whatever Purdue is offering.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

We just won the East, no way they fire Nuss (although they loving should)

Maybe Nuss will go to Purdue or BC or something.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DuckHuntDog posted:

I'd be curious what you think would be so toxic at the program to cause the football program to be so poor, though. Recruiting has not precipitously dropped, but the team consistently loses to way less talented teams. His tenure as a coach at Texas is historically the worst.

You have boosters that go off the rail and think they are more important to the program than the coach. The reason why Texas isn't seen as a top job in football has everything to do with the structure that allows boosters to throw their weight around freely and operate independently of the Athletic Department. Like, imagine if you hire anyone other than Tom Herman, do you see that person lasting more than 3 years?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

If Texas doesn't get Tom Herman you honestly think they last more than 3 years if they don't have CFP appearance? The program has ridiculous expectations and the boosters have far too much control over a new AD and administration. Its exactly why you see mutiple reports about Strong being fired despite him not actually being fired.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

vyst posted:

Have we talked about how Jimbo Fisher got extended an offer from LSU? lol

Part of the rescheduling deal with Florida I bet.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Leaf Lock posted:

Wasn't LSU just threatening to shut down the football program because they were poor? How did we make it here so quickly?

Election is over man.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

Tallahassee's a pretty cool town actually. There's a ton of local history, community efforts for small-scale farming, a bunch of underground art exhibits, excluding country, a decent music scene, generally pretty liberal, a waffle house AND a whataburger....

Anyway I enjoyed it

All these things are like at the top of the lists for high schoolers when considering a place to live

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So Strong stays for another year right? Like, who else could they really get and it look like an upgrade?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Lol no, see their last national championship appearance.

That was in like 1988 or something.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The smoking gun for Tressel was him signing a form saying saying he didn't know of any violations and then evidence emerging that he clearly did. Its the NCAA equivalent of perjury or falsifying an affadavit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I can't decide if I'd be sad he left.

Not sure who we'd go after though.

Morris or Fleck maybe? Bring Sprudog out of retirement for a year or so until a real good candidate pops up? Charlie Strong?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I don't know anything anymore. I feel like the coaching pool is weak. Strong? Morris would be in over his head I think. Throw cash at Holgo? His riverboat offense fits the bill.

I was so hopeful for Mac, and maybe he really is just a QB away from making it happen--but goddamn, that offense is a dog. Like a dog with fleas. And AIDS.

I think people are underestimating how much of a mess that side of the ball was when Muschamp left. Remember last year Florida only had 5 scholarship OL. Even if you recruit that heavily, you are looking at true freshmen to shore it up, which is probably the position that is hardest for an 18 year old kid to step into. Hell, it usually takes two years just to get them up to proper weight. There are some good players, but absolutely no depth and of course the ongoing QB struggles. I think next year you should at least see the line being better at the run game and hopefully a good QB comes along.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

If they hired Mac I will just feel confused.

SpurDog to interim coach though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

No way.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I just hope this isn't a Mike Leach situation.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

General Dog posted:

If the buyout is reduced/eliminated if he gets another job, Indiana would be well served to be vague about what precipitated this. I like your style guys.

Pretty sure forcing injured kids to play and avoiding the concussion protocol falls under "for cause".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

General Dog posted:

I can't remember, was Beckman fired for cause? Seems like that almost never happens, probably usually generates more negative attention for the school than it's worth.

According to this article, he did not get his buyout.

Also, Mike Leach was fired for cause, but then after it came out that the James family was full of poo poo he sued and won. Schools usually try to negotiate a little reasoning that it might be cheaper and easier to give some money for them to just go away rather than fight in court. Even USC (if I recall correctly) had a settlement with Sark rather than going to court over the buyout.

edit: ^^That number is totally affordable and worth it for just having him go away forever. Might end up spending more in court to not pay him that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think its more defensive Saban tree coaches, since Saban is so hands on the D, its easy to make them look good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

an adult beverage posted:

Yeah you're right. Man, Barry Alvarez must be a really annoying piece of poo poo.

Barry Alvarez seems like the guy who is too hands on and pretends he is still the coach.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I feel like if Oregon takes Taggart, Fleck is better off going to USF than Cincy. Would you rather inherit Tuberville's mess in a P5 conference or remain the hot G5 coach by picking up where Taggart left off?

USF is also in better recruiting territory.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Oregon will hire Mac and then Florida will hire Chip Kelly and proceed to win 2 national titles and clown the poo poo out of Saban in the SEC title game every year because god is dead.

This is super unlikely to happen but I approve.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

S&C plus Old Man Strength is a scary thought.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

"Saban's defenses sometimes have trouble with mobile QBs"

"Stop saying Saban is a bad coach!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I say this without irony, Florida needs to bring back Zook as a recruiting coordinator or something like that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

Walling off The State Of Miami is a little different now than it was back in a time where having a car phone was a sign of unimaginable riches.

Lane Kiffin isn't the dude that can swing that

Yes, but the state of Miami doesn't refer to just Miami or even Dade. Also, is there any person out there that screams "I go to Fort Lauderdale to party" more than Lane Kiffin.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Harbaugh to the Jags then.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DrunkPanda posted:

I literally don't know how you are supposed to dress at a strip club

Thin sweatpants and a silk shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Would anyone like to buy firejerrykill.com?

Used once.

Does it come with the Texas A&M content? Say what you want about Gendo, but the dude could roast Aggies harder than a bonfire of their own design.

• Locked thread