Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Don't forget Atlantic City! The classiest, gambling-legalest city in New Jersey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Randy Shannon is a very good defensive coordinator as long as your defense is arguably one of the most stacked in the history of the game.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

lol

I get the Michigan and Ohio State scores. I can even understand the Penn State one, but that Michigan State one is inexplicable.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Are people still trying to treat Rutgers as something other than a bottom dweller team?

edit: I haven't done the research, but I am willing to bet the worst SEC team (Vanderbilt? Mississippi State?) has a comparable record to Rutgers over the last 50 years.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying its a foregone conclusion or anything. If they go out there and stomp the piss out of Iowa tomorrow maybe outlook will be a bit different.

But if they take a giant dump on the field tomorrow (entirely possible) with a month to prepare and better athletes than Iowa we might start hearing the drumbeat. If Foley were staying I'd say that was ridiculous.

He'll probably get 4 years no matter what, but if he tanks and then next season is bad the seat is going to be scooooooooorching.

It doesn't help that Jimbo, Kirby, Richt, and Saban are all killing him on the recruiting trail and it's going to be worse as Strong/Kiffin start snagging 3 star gems that the Big 3 offer late.

Don't forget Butch Davis.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

They'll turn out alright. It's not like it can get worse than it was under Brewster.

SMU has shown us that a death penalty for even one year wrecks a program beyond repair for decades. I know this isn't a death penalty, but if everyone does indeed transfer, it would be a de facto death penalty.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Korranus posted:

Comparing a Big Ten school to a private school that was booted to the mid-majors. Gotcha.

SMU had far more success in a decade than Minnesota has had in its entire existence. If the threats are genuine (which is another discussion all together), then Minnesota will have to fill 2 to 3 times the recruiting class as normal. If people do transfer, they are essentially starting up a historically mediocre program from scratch.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MourningView posted:

Minnesota won multiple national titles

So has Princeton and Rutgers.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So is Claeys the frontrunner for Douche of the Year?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DJExile posted:

Art Briles

He won last year, or at least Baylor in general won. Its for new offenses, otherwise we would be voting for Penn St./Paterno for eternity.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Korranus posted:

Does Joe Mixon qualify as this year?

He does, but you inevitably get the douche vs. evil arguments which is why I lean towards Claeys. He didn't actually commit a crime, but decided to cape up for the players.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Keep in mind Briles has a lawsuit pending against Baylor, which will hopefully bring everything to light. I feel he isn't going forth with this unless he comes out looking better than Baylor.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I know there is no evidence, but I feel like we are gonna get some horrfying report in the nextvfew days.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I know it isn't new, but coaches who don't get fired mid-season or immediately afterwards tend to come with some unsavory details, especially the last couple.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

what counts as "for cause" when firing a coach and why isn't "did not win enough football games" (poor performance) a cause?

It depends on whats in the contract. Wins and losses are only in the contracts as far as bonuses and such go. No coach is going to sign an agreement that lets him get fired for losing games, especially when there are multiple games a year decided by bad calls, injuries to players, and a whole host of unpredictable things. For cause typically refers to things that any professor or university staff would get fired for, such as physical/emotional abuse of students, failing to adhere to a variety of policies including reporting of crimes etc.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MourningView posted:

He's not a very good coach and has spent his entire tenure fighting with his bosses, openly tying to get a new job, and generally being a pain in the rear end. It was probably that. I don't get why you want it to be more than that so badly

When did I say I wanted it to? I just said that the timing is odd (which everyone seems to agree with) and that oddly timed firings tend to carry something untoward with them (again, while not backed with a statistical analysis, has some common sense and recent history behind it). The thing that could come out could be as benign as the AD and coach arguing over was first in line to get lunch. I would rather it be that, but given the recent overall landscape of the sleaziness of college athletics, I wouldn't be surprised if something else came out. Also why do you want me to want it so much?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Did we ever learn what happened with Cristobal at FIU? He is going to be an HC in the next couple years, but I feel like I want some accounting of his time there before I would hire him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Why would Fulmer be a bad AD at Tennessee?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chip apparently hates recruiting, so unless he goes to a big name that recruits itself or has some great assistants, he isn't going back to college.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DJExile posted:

Bill Cubit has surfaced!

Haha, one of my best friends teaches math there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Fiz, is it too late for you to go to nursing school. CRNA is the way my man.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

This. My fiance is an RN and holy poo poo I hosed up not becoming a nurse.

For real. Half the income of an anesthesiologist, so like 150 to 250k with zero liability and significantly less investment on the front end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yeah but do nurses get fame and bitches?

Fame is terrible and the healthcare industry is stacked with attractive, fit people.

• Locked thread