Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
First one of these in awhile where I won't spend the offseason talking about Ferentz either getting fired or leaving for a different job. That's exciting.

Now if/when we go 7-5 this year.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I forgot Tulane made a better hire than like 2/3 of the power five teams with openings

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Baylor's downfall may help Chad Morris get a new job, at Baylor.

Or maybe at his alma mater if SMU happens to have a breakout year.

There are a lot of reasons to think he's promising but maaaaaybe let him win more than 2 games in a season before bumping him up to a Power 5 job.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Stockstill is safe if nothing else because his kid is a really loving good QB.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think how impressed you are with Leipold winning a shitload of games at whitewater is inversely proportional to how familiar you are with DIII sports

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

Is there a reason why Nick Saban hates USC so much

2003 maybe? But mostly I think he just likes having a ton of good recruiters on staff. If Bama is gonna pay for him hire 5,000 former head coaches as consultants why not?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

BTW Kirk Ferentz extended through 2026. There will never be Iowa Football without Kirk Ferentz. There will never be Iowa without Kirk Ferentz. We will rename the state Ferentz. All hail the Ferentz State Cyclones.

2025 but otherwise this is true

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

So Mark Stoops is a dead man walking right

I feel like he might have a dumb buyout (I'm assuming he has the same agent as his brother, which is also Ferentz's agent) but if UK doesn't care about that than yeah. He's doing good things in recruiting but the team hadn't improved at all and he's run through a bunch of coordinators.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea it's clearly Stoops holding the offense back. Well, he can come back and be the FSU DC when he gets fired.
Whose fault is it? His biggest selling point is that he's recruited well so I'm not sure how you can blame talent. He's already had multiple OCs so it's hard to say he just needs a change there. At some point the lack of progress has to be on him. And it's not like the defense is good either, they just gave up 45 to a Florida team that struggled to move the ball against UMass. He can be a good coordinator without being a good head coach, lots of guys are.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 11, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ehud posted:

Have you considered that Florida is actually cool and good and week 1 was an outlier

I have not

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
OL and injuries seem like way bigger issues than the defense but sure whatever fire everyone they lost a game why can't we be Alabama?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If I were Jimbo I would definitely be desperate to leave a great job that has had two coaches in the last like 50 years for one that is in a more difficult conference, isn't a significant upgrade in anyway, and where the standard for keeping your job is winning multiple national titles.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I get it but man that is a high standard for the next guy to live up to. If you're in the SEC and aren't Saban you basically have to look over your shoulder at all times.

It's not like LSU is bulletproof either. Their coaches pre-Saban were Gary Dinardo and Curley Hallman. It's a great job but they can definitely do a lot worse

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 25, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gret posted:

What can Les do w/o top 5 talent?

He was comfortably in the 7-9 win range at Okie State so probably that. I imagine we'll find out pretty soon

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pakled posted:

How did a guy who made Vandy a 9-4 team twice fail to hit that same mark at Penn State

He's a good recruiter who caught the sec east at a really good time but isn't actually a very good coach

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

I think it's a pretty big job. They've had about 16 years of consistent success, and two national titles in that time under two different coaches. Big stadium, good recruiting. I remember the Dinardo years, but couldn't the same argument re: program prominence have been made against Florida when Spurrier left?

Yeah and they immediately hired Ron Zook. And hired Muschamp after Urban. Replacing a good coach is really hard!

Pakled posted:

How likely is Bo Pelini to get hired by an FBS team this year

Pretty likely if he wants I'd think. I know his name has been floated for Purdue

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Gotta take the moral high road and go after Art Briles instead

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NippleFloss posted:

Les wasn't super great about rape either, tbh. Or football players getting into bar fights.

oh well ok then

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Well yeah, its a "pretty big" job. And pretty good program. But LSU fans are also pretty delusional if they think they could get Tom Herman. He could have gone basically anywhere available last offseason.

Other than maybe USC, who seemingly refuses to even consider going outside the program for hires, what job open last year was better than LSU?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 27, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
gonna be exiting when literally every coach in the SEC is a former Bama assistant

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/repo...m_medium=Social

LSU to "gauge the interest" of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Bob Stoops, because shooters gotta shoot.

I actually hope everyone with an opening does this. "Hi, Urban, I'm with Florida International University and I was wondering if you-hello?"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
FIU dumping Cristobal is one of the dumber coaching decisions in recent history

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Take this with an enormous grain of salt, but Colin Cowherd apparently said on radio that USC is already shopping for a new head coach.

I mean this was also kind of obvious if you just, like, watched USC play football.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spintzel posted:

Jimbo is just looking to use this to get a raise from a paranoid FSU

Once again proving that he is Saban's best apprentice

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

whiteyfats posted:

He's the only one with any lasting success, right? I can't think of anybody else.

Besides, if he really wants a better job, as long as he keeps doing good at FSU, when Saban retires, Alabama might come knockin'.

I mean tbd on a couple of them but so far it'd be him or Dantonio. But there's also a chance he's using LSU the same way Saban uses Texas every time they get antsy about their coach where his agent leaks that he's being offered 50 million dollars a year or whatever and seriously considering it, which is followed immediately by Bama giving him a raise and buying him a house.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
this was more fun the last two years when we beat you by like 50

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Korranus posted:

Think PJ Fleck would row the goddamn boat to Houston for 2 or 3 million?

Hell of a lot better than Purdue or whatever lovely Midwest job he'd probably be offered. That's a good spot for him too, since a lot of his success is from out recruiting the rest of his conference and he could probably realistically do that at Houston (especially if Taggart gets another job)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
oh well if message boards don't like him

you can't believe everything you read on those things, i once read someone try to argue that rutgers wasn't a terrible football program. there's some crazy poo poo out there

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That was a badly coached game and they're having an awful season but firing Brian Kelly would be extremely stupid. So hopefully they do it!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SeaborneClink posted:

Hire Tom Herman.

Yeah how hard can that be to do

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
WKU's kinda whatever this year but Jeff Brohm is an amazing offensive coach. He's like a younger Petrino without all the baggage.

Taggert's turned things around at USF after doing a good job at WKU before that and is a great recruiter

Brent Venables seems like he should get a head coaching job at some point but Clemson already pays him like one so he can be picky

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 10, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oregon has a lot of money but it's not like they've ever been a huge destination for coaches. Kelly was a I-AA OC who almost no one had heard of when the hired him. Helfrich pre-Oregon was a middling coordinator at Colorado. To think that they're gonna be able to beat out LSU and possibly Texas for someone seems a tad optimistic

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oregon going to boring rear end Les-ball would be awful

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

Or really, really funny.

We need more fun teams not fewer!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Eastern Michigan is making a bowl this year, haters

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

hopefully the Bahamas Bowl, aka the best possible bowl

On one hand that would be the best way to end a long bowl drought and I'd be very happy. On the other they are kinda boring and it'd wreck the streak of Bahamas Bowls being super fun shootouts, which I have really enjoyed

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I still can't believe he didn't get fired after last year. That has to be pretty close to the worst non-Northwestern stretch anyone in the conference has ever had

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It was like $4.5 million which would suck but TV is bringing in so much money I have a hard time believing they couldn't have afforded it. Although let's also stop and laugh at them giving him any sort of significant buyout based on one good MAC season

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Not so sure about that latter part. Purdue is about as dead end as it gets these days.

I mean depends on how high they aim. Fleck isn't taking that job, but anyone else is probably in play, though I agree I don't think any of the others are worth hiring (although Chris Creighton!!). I don't think they're gonna go that route again anyway. A retread like Miles or Pelini seems a lot more likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I'm more interested in Sonny Dykes, like, is he assuming Dykes will be fired or does he think Purdue can poach a head coach from a P5 school?

If he leaves it's gonna be for Baylor.

wernox posted:

I can say this much, there have been quite a few Purdue coaches in my 47 years on this earth. I was really excited when they hired Hazell and I remember thinking that Joe Tiller was the worst hire in the history of the school the night they lost to Toledo in his opening game as head coach....I will let the experts do their job, I'm just glad Morgan Burke and his incredible, intergalactic hard-on for all things Ohio State won't be the driving force behind the search.
Welll.....
https://twitter.com/danwolken/status/787737122652430336

The only guy on either staff who seems even remotely like a candidate for a head job is Schiano but perhaps they were very impressed with Fickell's 6-6 interim season

I would hire Jeff Brohm but I feel like anyone who has read any of my posts knows that.

• Locked thread