Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah Grobe is the definition of a safe hire and will at least keep them from completely imploding but man, i don't care how close/far the season is, that whole staff had to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Clawson will be ok. They finally got an indoor facility up and running, they're starting to recruit better, but poo poo, it wasn't even a "bare cupboard" situation at Wake, there wasn't even a drat cupboard when Dave arrived.

E: Ron Wellman is a hell of an AD too and I think he realizes this is very much the long game they're playing right now.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 1, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

HE'S ON FIRE!

Darrell Hazell - Purdue. He somehow got Kent State, Kent loving State, to within a game of the BCS, but Purdue has shown to be an even more helpless situation. 6-30 in three years, he probably should have been fired after last year's 2-10 effort but Purdue either didn't like the market or didn't have the funds to pay Hazell and a new coach. It's hard to see things getting any better and short of an absolute miracle, some other poor sucker will be given the chance to make Purdue football something other than a punchline.

From everything I've heard it's the latter, combined with being a school that just doesn't seem to be prioritizing the team much either. In the big picture that's probably a good thing, given how many programs seem to run the school at other institutions, but football seems to becoming more and more of an afterthought. Their facilities aren't much, they got shithoused by an Illinois team that spent last year going through the motions after Beckman was fired, they have zero depth, and even playing in the far worse B1G division, I can't see how they get any more than 3 total wins this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jones' seat is definitely warming up, especially now when it looks like their AD isn't long for this world in the face of the campus rape problems.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aah what the hell, here's a MACTION one. This is less about how likely guys are to get fired and more how likely they are to get hired elsewhere though.

UNTOUCHABLE
Rod Carey, NIU - NIU has continued to be a monster since like 2008. The MAC West still runs through them.

PJ Fleck - WMU - He's a weird motherfucker but he's done a hell of a job to turn WMU around.

SOLID
Chuck Martin - Miami - Chuck certainly has his work cut out for him, but there are signs of life from the Redhawks, and they're finally putting some money into facilities, which are terribly out of date, and quite honestly may lag behind the entire conference, including Eastern. He's recruited well and their defense has improved nicely so far.

Frank Solich, Ohio - Ohio's largely been mediocre to underwhelming, but this seems to be Frank's job for as long as he wants it.

UNDECIDED
Mike Neu - Ball State - New hire. Ball State basically vanished from the radar a couple years ago, but it's not impossible to do well here.

Mike Jinks - BGSU - New hire. Brought a lot of assistants from TTU and some reports from Lubbock were that we may have really found a gem. Did fantastic recruiting work in a very short time frame.

Lance Leipold - Buffalo - Jury's still out on him but Buffalo definitely found new life under Jeff Quinn (whom Buffalo was still a moron to fire, IMO) and it doesn't seem like Lance has really rocked the boat or anything.

Jason Candle - Toledo -New hire. In a pretty strange occurance, Jason wasn't on the ground in Ames for more than about 24 hours when Toledo called him to come back as their new head coach when Matt Campbell left for Iowa State. Apparently the kids love him and were thrilled to get him back.

John Bonamego - Central Michigan - Still pretty new to the scene.

HEATING UP
Chris Chreighton - EMU - Eastern is still largely a disaster but it's hard to tell yet if that's Chris' fault.

Paul Haynes - Kent State - He's a Kent State alum, and by all accounts he's one of the nicest guys in the conference. You have to wonder if Kent's troubles are less his fault and more a sign of bigger problems from the school as a whole. Dix Stadium got a desperately needed renovation, and the defense seems to have improved, but they're still badly in need of an offense. I really like Paul and I hope he can pull it out. This isn't a dead-end job like Eastern or UMass (:rip:). The man can coach and I hope Kent gives him the chance and backing to prove himself.

Terry Bowden - Akron - At the start of last year I may have put him under HE'S ON FIRE but Akron may not have the money to fire him even if they wanted to. Last year's 7-5 season with a Potato Bowl win over Utah State definitely helped, but it's hard to see Akron finding the next step. BGSU has won the MAC East almost by default the last few years, and obliterated the Zips 59-10 last year. The school is in the midst of a massive budget problem, which doesn't help matters at all. They're by no means a rudderless ship, but they may be stuck in MAC East mediocrity for a while, and may be in some trouble if Buffalo and Kent can get their legs back under them.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 6, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Veshpo posted:

I really don't know anything about Akron's program, but what are the general expectations there? My understanding is that it's a financially poor program on an unattractive campus in an unattractive area. Considering how bad they were before Bowden got there, isn't bowling on a fairly regular basis a pretty nice endpoint?

Hard to say. They built a new stadium for $61 million just a few years ago so safe to say they're not low expectations, but on the other hand, Terry's contract is mostly bonus-based, and his regular salary is one of the lowest in the conference. The tough thing is that a 6-win season isn't always a guarantee of a bowl invite in the MAC, and sometimes even 7 isn't.

For all I know they may be happy to hang around the 7-win mark, to be honest, but there are FCS teams that could get 7 wins with a MAC East schedule. They and Ohio are basically stuck in a sort of purgatory.

E: for what it's worth, this year's schedule for them is probably going to have 7 wins at the very best.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Goddammit now I'm gonna have to do all of the mid-majors and actually learn stuff about them instead of making poo poo up like I usually do.

The MAC is pretty quiet right now, to be honest. There were a bunch of new hires in the last 2 years so you won't have to do much.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:eng101: it's Matt Campbell at Iowa State, not Mike.

He's a pretty good recruiter and I'd imagine if he can get them consistently to 6-7 wins then he'll pretty quickly get the call to the next step up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Considering it's his first season as head coach, Odom is in the UNTOUCHABLE category.

He said at the start that he was putting new hires in undecided. Odom's not the only one

E: In other news:

FB Scoops posted:

UCLA: Jim Mora has signed a two-year contract extension taking him through the 2021 season. Mora is 37-13 in four seasons leading the Bruins program, including four straight bowl trips and back-to-back 10-win seasons in 2013 and 2014.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oregon went 7-2 in a great conference, beat Stanford on the road, and lost a bananas (but meaningless) bowl game. Helfrich is fine for now.

E: Woof, their schedule is back-heavy as gently caress next year

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 20, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I think Norvell could be a really good hire by Memphis. There was a lot of chatter about him while he was on Todd Graham's staff

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

I GUESS C-USA IS STILL A THING?

Ron Turner - FIU. The AD forced out Mario Cristobol for Retread Ronnie, and he's been rewarded with a 10-26 record, albeit 5-7 last season. The move was scorned when it happened and it hasn't paid off, so unless the AD has some real solid support, it could be curtains for both real soon.

This hire lost me when it happened and I still don't get it at all :psyduck:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If memory serves, Solich had some demons (drinking, I think?) and that's kinda kept him out of the spotlight of going to bigger jobs. At this point it seems like Ohio's happy to let him ride out his career on 7-win seasons. He's 71 years old now. At this point he's more likely to retire than anything.

You're right on the confusion around Bowden. Akron's a disaster financially and while it's not a completely dead-end job, it seems like there's a ceiling of 8 wins at very most.

Leipold's a wild card and it'll be interesting to see where he goes. Buffalo will compete with BG for the MAC East title every so often but it's absurdly hard to recruit there. They have no indoor facilities at all, which is frankly stunning to me.

This is likely Fleck's year to make a move. NIU and Toledo are reloading, and if he can finally get Western to the MAC championship, that should get him a new job. If he doesn't, he's going to immediately drop back into also-ran status. Make no mistake, he recruited his rear end off and did a whale of a job to get Western to where they are now, but NIU and Toledo are going to bounce back very quickly.

Martin should be OK for the next year or two. The school knows fully well this is a long-term deal, and they quite honestly might have the worst facilities in the conference, save for Eastern. They're at least 15 years behind the MAC powerhouses in terms of program development.

I feel for Haynes. He's one of the nicest guys in the conference and doing his damndest at his alma mater with a really thin assistant budget and I think a year or two ago there was some scuttlebutt about folding the program. Likely more rumor than truth but it's a shame to see that at all. They finally renovated Dix stadium, which was badly needed, but I don't think they have much in terms of facilities outside of that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Metal Sonichu posted:

The school's had to deal with alumni refusing to donate money after they changed their team's name to Eagles due to the NCAA's collective hard-on to be politically correct about Native American nicknames (they were previously known as the Hurons). That, and being in the shadow of Ann Arbor and UM.

Since 1980 Eastern has had exactly 6 winning seasons, had 2 winless seasons, lost 27 straight games, and they've been to 2 bowl games ever. Their problems go far beyond alumni being mad about a name change.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Trent Miles did an astounding job to drag Georgia State to a bowl last year and he's finally got a team of more than just JuCo kids and walk-ons. Blowing out Georgia Southern to finish the season was unreal. He should get at least 4-5 wins again this year but jesus christ having to on the road to Air Force, Wisconsin, and App State all in a row is a brutal opening.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

Going (briefly) back to the MAC, I would be astonished if Fleck wasn't picked up by someone after this year, even for a mediocre season. I would hate it forever as a Bronco alum, but the guy can flat-out recruit like no one's business (247 gave WMU the best recruiting class in the MAC by a wide margin after a season where they won one game a couple years ago). Throw in that he's a solid, offensively-minded coach, and how many P5 schools who have national name recognition but dismal on-field product wouldn't try to scoop that up (like, say, Kentucky)? I get that a lot of people view this as Fleck's "put up or shut up" year, but I really don't think he necessarily has to win the conference to still get some very tender offers that WMU can't match. And then I'll cry my heart out because we can't have nice things

Welcome to life as a MAC fan, bud. Nobody's making a career here these days :sigh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RichRod seems to have a great relationship with Greg Byrne and I don't think expectations at Arizona are exactly super high so I'd imagine he's pretty safe.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm gonna guess recruiting to Arizona is a bit easier these days than to WVU but who knows anymore.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sounds to me that's more on the school in general (and Byrne in specific) finding ways to market them.

Overall I think Rich is pretty happy at Arizona. He's in a good conference and gets to play occasional spoiler to the heavyweights while still getting to cruise to at least bowl eligibility every year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

One week in and we already have a coordinator casualty

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/772564438310227968

holy hell there's got to be more to that than just one bad game

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Metal Sonichu posted:

By that logic Charlotte and Bowling Green should hang their DCs by their scrotums after their respective "games".

Yeah, and we're an entirely new staff with a first time head coach and quite literally 71% of the offense graduated, transferred, or declared. I had a feeling yesterday was going to blow rear end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kittenmittons posted:

You mean other than last year's very enjoyable Fiesta Bowl.

In ND's defense (man that sounds weird to say) they had like half their roster injured and out for that game. There was basically no way OSU wasn't going to roll them.

BK's at ND for as long as he wants to be but that's a weird rear end place and I can see how coaches can get burned out being there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Looking at the P5 coaches I put in the NBA Jam categories:

ACC: NC State creamed Williams & Mary, BC lost in Dublin but didn't look completely terrible, and Wake limited Tulane to three points, which is good, but only scored seven points, which is bad. No changes.

Dave Clawson himself is likely OK this season, but man I'd be surprised if his OC Warren Ruggiero survived the season. Their defense looks fine and did a hell of a job considering Tulane had 35 minutes of possession. I know they basically had nothing in terms of recruits until a bit starting last year, but good lord that offense has literally not improved at all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This deserves its own post. Most coaches have contracts saying "hey, don't say dumb poo poo about the school" and such. Relatively standard stuff. Barry Odom's all but puts a gun to his head if he so much as thinks of stepping out of line with Mizzou.

quote:

One is related to the tone of Odom’s public statements, the other to his treatment of players. The details of the provisions are distinct not only from those in former Missouri coach Gary Pinkel’s contract, but also from those in most — if not all — contracts for head coaches at public schools in the NCAA’s Football Bowl Subdivision.

Lack of compliance with either provision could result in Odom being fired for cause, without further compensation from a five-plus-year contract currently worth $2.35 million annually, plus more than $1.5 million in potential incentives.
Among 17 specific job responsibilities, Odom must: “Keep public statements complimentary to the athletic program and to the University and not engage in any business transaction or commerce, appear on any radio or television program, or in any public forum, or make statements to the media or in any public forum that is likely to bring undue criticism or discredit to the University, its curators, officers, employees or students”.

The equivalent portion of Pinkel’s contract said only that he must “Keep public statements complimentary to the athletic program and to the University”.

Odom’s failure to perform his job responsibilities would give the university the right to fire him for cause.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Paterno and Rip Engle.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

Florida: Arizona AD Greg Byrne has told the Tucson Citizen he will remain at Arizona despite interest from Florida.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rick posted:

That's good news, awesome.

Yeah, Byrne strikes me as a pretty drat good AD. I can see why Florida would target him.

Imagine you'll see him getting a new deal with Arizona pretty soon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brian Kelly gave defensive coordinator Brian Van Gorder the dreaded vote of confidence yesterday. I'd be surprised if he lasts the season. Notre Dame can't stop the run to save their lives.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

whiteyfats posted:

After the Louisville game, it might be time for FSU to move on from Jimbo. Hasn't won a big game in years, hasn't won a championship in almost half a decade. :smith: Don't know who we could to replace him.

Oh no how awful. You're still going to sleepwalk to a 9 win season at the very least. May as well fire everyone.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Florida State is going to ultimately be just fine. The ACC is hilariously imbalanced right now since the costal is a dumpster fire but holy poo poo dude they had two undefeated regular seasons in a row, the first culminating in a national championship and the other a playoff berth. You don't need to fire jimbo because they lost to a very good Louisville team who played the game of their lives.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bama going from Saban to Dabo would be so fuckin' weird

E: from a personality point, I mean

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

I would greatly prefer Herman, but there is a cadre of boosters that apparently very much want Jimbo because he has history here and he is proven.

I don't think LSU's had that many rape cases to deal with lately :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

I don't actually think he would leave FSU, but there was a lot of smoke around it last year. But then I also laughed when Michigan fans said they were going to steal Jim Harbaugh from the NFL, and here we are. Sometimes people make weird choices for non-obvious reasons.

Michigan didn't so much steal Harbaugh as Harbaugh got sick of SF's front office and knew he had that job waiting for him if he wanted it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah scoring hasn't been ND's problem but that D is junk.

Firing BK would be dumb as hell but I could also see Kelly just getting worn out on dealing with that school and its goofball fan base. There's a reason nobody has stayed there that long.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chubb to coach LSU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

Nobody gets fired after the bowl game

Rich Rodriguez would like a word.

They fired him right after a bowl game because it screwed him out of $1mil of his buyout.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scott Stricklin has been announced as Florida's new Athletic Director.

E: Holy moley Les Miles' buyout is... something.

FB Scoops posted:

There seems to be a lot of misconception about Les’ buyout from LSU, so I’ll attempt to clarify how it works.

Les’ contract runs through December 2019 (3 years, 3 months from now). By contract, if he is terminated, his buyout is paid out monthly over a period of time double the remaining term…thus, he’ll be paid out over 6 years, 6 months.

His stated buyout is $12.9 million; but by contract you reduce from that any amounts paid to him in this calendar year.

Les makes $4.3 million per year plus bonuses. Depending on what has already been paid in calendar 2016, that is what sets his buyout.

For illustrative purposes, let’s assume 9/12s have been paid, thus approximately $3.2 million.

So, his stated buyout was $12.9 million, less the $3.2 paid in 2016. Hence, Les will be paid approximately $9.7 million over the next 6 years, 6 months.

Assuming Les does not accept further work, he would receive approximately $125,000 / month for the next 6 years, 6 months.

To the extent he accepts any other job, the amount LSU owes would be reduced dollar for dollar.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

No, if he took another job for $100k/mo ($1.2M/yr) LSU would only be on the hook to make up the $25k/mo difference.

Yeah it's this

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

So, if Brian Kelly gets canned because of his weirdo fanbase, where does he land? Can he walk into another P5 job, or is it going to take some rehab at an FIU of sorts before then?

He'd go to a P5 team pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Take this with an enormous grain of salt, but Colin Cowherd apparently said on radio that USC is already shopping for a new head coach.

• Locked thread