Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

I think coaching salaries will gradually go down after the next round of broadcast rights negotiations. The floundering of ESPN shows that we're at the high water mark of how much money networks can pay for TV rights.

This is kinda how I see it too. I get the feeling we're going to plateau or drop back at some point.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I know it's all self funded through the athletic department revenue, but surly there has to be some upper limit right? I can't help but feel like these insane contracts aren't great for the sport in general

Depends a bit on the school/conference. The odds of the MAC ever having a coach making over $1m base pay are basically zero. On top of that, schools seem to be a lot more trigger-happy to fire coaches these days so overall pay to a coach may not be as huge in the long run either. Bama's obviously it's own pretty unique case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

I imagine Fleck was close last year after bonuses and all that. But Saban's the curve-breaker since any coach wanting Saban money would be told to produce Saban results. But then again, Harbaugh's the exception to that rule, so who knows.

Yeah he was over 1mil with bonuses but I really doubt you see it as a base pay, and he was a pretty unique case.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

Saban is about to get mega fuckin' paid

weelllllllllllp

quote:

Nick Saban has agreed to an 8-year contract extension through January 31, 2025. Steve Berkowitz points out that Saban will make $11.25 million this season that includes a $4 million signing bonus.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That OLB coach is making more than their athletic director :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Texas: Regents have approved contracts for Tom Herman’s assistants, via the Austin American-Statesman — defensive coordinator Todd Orlando, 3 years, $1.09 million annually; offensive coordinator Tim Beck, 3 years, $790,000; safeties coach Craig Naivar ($490,000); running backs coach Stan Drayton ($485,000); strength coach Yancy McKnight ($425,000); defensive line coach Oscar Giles ($390,000); offensive line coach Derek Warehime ($390,000); and wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer ($340,000). McKnight and the position coaches signed 2-year deals.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Memphis: Head coach Mike Norvell has signed a 1-year extension taking him through 2021 with a “significant” salary bump for assistants, according to SI’s Pete Thamel. Norvell originally inked a 5-year deal that paid him $1.8 million in 2016 before leading the Tigers to an 8-5 mark in his first year on the job. Memphis paid Norvell’s assistants $2.15 million in ’16, sixth-most among AAC public schools according to USA Today.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I don't think Memphis is going to be able to hang on to him much longer but good for him.

Yeah Memphis has more money than I thought, but I'd be shocked if he was still there after the 2018 season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

more assorted money stuff!

quote:

Vanderbilt: Derek Mason has signed a 3-year extension — giving him a 5-year deal, with the option for a sixth — with a slight raise from his $2.5 million salary with extensions and raises for multiple assistants and an increased recruiting budget, according to Adam Sparks of the Tennesseean. Mason led the ‘Dores to a 3-9 mark in 2014, 4-8 in ’15 and 6-7 in ’16.

quote:

USC: According to Steve Berkowitz of USA Today, USC paid Lane Kiffin $2.5 million in buyout money in 2015, and likely paid him well over $6 million since parting ways. Berkowitz also adds, that Steve Sarkisian was paid nearly $3.3 million before being fired in October of 2015, and former AD Pat Haden made almost $2.8 million for the year.

• Locked thread