Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TipTow posted:

Well, as far as first fired during the season...

I'll go with Malzahn. Auburn's gonna get crushed by Clemson, and looking at their schedule I could see them start off 3-3.

I really don't think Malzahn is in as much hot water as people think. I don't know who would be available that they would want. Maybe the Houston guy if he leaves, but there are a lot of schools who would be after him. Auburn's AD has really tied himself to Malzahn and the recent contract extension makes me think firing Malzahn would cost him his job as well.

That said I'm sure there is some scenario where he does poorly enough to lose him job, but I think it's a lot lower than people are assuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I want this to happen except he beats Alabama

In desperation I watched some youtube guy simulate the season in one of the NCAA games (with updated rosters maybe? at least the names were changed). Auburn went 7-5 with losses to Miss state, Ole Miss, Arky, and aTm, but beat bama in overtime. I would be okay with this.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

I feel like there was some grumbling that Gus was at least speaking to him, so there were rumors for a hot minute that he would go there as an OC.

If Auburn's season continues to go well I think they will be looking for an OC at the end of the season. Lashlee has been looking for an opportunity as a head coach, but his one big liability was never being a play caller. He's been showing he can get it done these last few games, and I think he will get a chance at a smaller school.

I really don't want to see any Briles get brought to Auburn, and would probably try to organize campus groups against it if it was being discussed (not that it would do anything).

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

pillsburysoldier posted:

Some say he was offered 8 million

I saw that posted on an Auburn board, but it has to be wrong. It would make him the highest paid coach in the SEC by a large margin.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Someone on an Auburn board said that Jimbo asked for 6.5 mil a year to leave FSU.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So the solution is to pay someone 6 or 7 million a year to lose to Saban instead?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
People reporting Jimbo turned down a 6.8 mil a year offer from LSU.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just don't see Kiffin taking another OC job. There has to be some smaller school willing to give him another shot as a head coach.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
God willing Les goes on to win a naty at Purdue.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There has been a lot of speculation about Auburn's OC Rhet Lashlee leaving to take a HC job. Rumors are he is in the running for Georgia Southern and Florida Atlantic. He is also the main recruiter for most of Auburn's QB targets and apparently told former Baylor QB Stidham that GS has not contacted him.

I think he deserves a shot at a smaller school and he probably needs to prove he can get it done without Malzahn. I really don't want him to leave this year though because Auburn will probably hire Kendal Briles to replace him.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ole Miss dismissed one of their co-OC's and the recruiting guy who was implicated in the Tunsil texts.

I also read some rumors that Sark is being looked at for LSU's next OC. I would think the Alabama OC job is his if Kiffin leaves though so I don't know why he would take LSU over that.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/espncfb/status/808391159399743488

Looks like Kiffin may be taking about a 400k paycut going to FAU.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ole Miss has apparently hired Auburn secondary coach Wesley McGriff as their defensive coordinator.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sark is Alabama's new OC.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

CBS reports Rhett Lashlee leaving Auburn for OC job at UConn. I got no idea what to think of this. There was talk he would be considered for their HC job, the AD came from Auburn.

This looks on paper like a Nussmier style "you're not 'fired' but you should probably find another job now" but that doesn't make a ton of sense given his relationship with Malzahn and the way the offense actually took off this season when he got playcalling authority. Could be the inverse of that -- Lashlee got tired of never getting a HC job cause nobody knows how he'll do outside of Gus's shadow. Maybe some personal poo poo went down, who knows.

I think he probably thinks he needs to show he can be fully in charge of an offense before he can get a head coaching job. I also read he's taking a huge pay cut going to UConn, so who knows. I'm really worried about who the new OC will be. In my fantasy they hire Chip Kelly, but it's probably going to be someone already at the program (Herb Hand) or a Briles (please no).

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Good. I will honestly be happy no matter who gets made OC knowing it wont be a Briles.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
People on some Auburn sites are saying Mark Helfrich is in town. It's probably just rumors, but I would really like him as Auburn's OC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't justify his actions at all, but 6 million dollars is a lot of motivation to put winning football games ahead of literally everything else.

• Locked thread