Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Stoops' buyout would be closer to $18m once you count up all the assistants. That's a huge price to pay, but how much are you going to lose from reduced ticket sales next year, and the rest of this year if things go worse. If he goes winless in the SEC I don't think there will be much choice. Beat South Carolina, Vandy, Mizzou, and Mississippi St, a daunting task now but not impossible, you get to a bowl and all this talk goes away. It's the range of 4-5 wins but the team looks competitive is where it becomes a tough decision, because fans are growing weary fast.

In year 2, UK actually overachieved based on preseason expectations, but the fast 5-1 start followed by 6 losses in a row masks that now. It was after that season that Neal Brown left for the head coaching job at Troy, so it's not like he's been forcing OCs out every year. The biggest problem has been the defense. Despite having supposedly better talent, the defense has seemed to get worse and worse each year. I know DJ Eliot is his boy, but there was clamouring for a change at DC last year, and after the past two games that has gotten louder. I think the buyout is too big still for Stoops, but I think Eliot is definitely gone after this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Thought Brohm might hold out for Cincinnati to stay closer to home. Cincinnati was probably a better option for winning games too, that's going to be tough at Purdue. But if the $3m/year report I saw is correct then good for him I guess. I still think he's the next guy at Louisville whenever Bobby leaves, no matter where he ends up in between.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Regnevelc posted:

Ah - so like 4 hours from home. That's still close.

West Lafayette to Louisville is about 3 hours, so really only an hour or so more than it was to Bowling Green. Just feels farther I guess, northern Indiana vs. central Kentucky are pretty different.

The Power 5 thing makes sense too. You'd think I'd know this being a fan of a low tier Power 5 school.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
DJ Eliot leaving Kentucky for Colorado. Mark Stoops stepped into more of a direct role with the defense after the New Mexico St game, so not a complete surprise, nor a big loss for most UK fans, considering how much better the defense was after that. No word on the next move for UK yet.

• Locked thread