Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ross Angeles posted:

It's more Altman accusing us of recruiting violations which brought up the bogus NCAA chargers from last year that amounted to absolutely nothing, which in turn cost us recruits.

I'm petty.

"Bogus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
as an enemy of texas athletics, i do hope they do not hire tom herman

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

oh well if message boards don't like him

you can't believe everything you read on those things, i once read someone try to argue that rutgers wasn't a terrible football program. there's some crazy poo poo out there

yooge if true

partially related, the WVU rumor mill has cranked up. our idiot fans are totally convinced that dana is going to LSU. that's not going to happen; but in real talk, if WVU does finish strong Dana's contract buyout will be very reasonable (2.9m) so it wouldn't be shocking to see him out the door regardless of how this season ends.

I would be pretty happy if we got in on the PJ Fleck lottery

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 7, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Absent Bill Snyder Kansas hasn't even really supported one

Have you forgotten about the time Kansas went to the Orange Bowl?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

Strong's a great coach. He seemed like a good fit for Texas, but that defense, man

I don't think anyone who know the climate at Texas thought he was a good fit. I am fairly certain if you go look through the thread, a lot of us -- including me -- said it was going to be a big flop because he does not have the personality for that job.

--

So let's see Big XII openings:

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
Kansas State

Gonna be a fun off season.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Just gonna guess this every year until it happens I take it?

K State apparently just got a new school president that Snyder absolutely loves and helped shame out of retirement. I doubt it'll be this year barring health issues or something.

The word I've heard is he wants to get 200 then turn it over to his son.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

big money big clit posted:

How does his personality make it so that he can't put together a defense that doesn't give up 50 points to everyone they play? People thought he'd be a bad fit because he wouldn't schmooze the boosters and take the public facing parts of the job seriously enough, not because his teams would be hopeless garbage.

I think it all plays in together. There's so many distractions and poo poo and he doesn't like and I don't think is happy. He's a good coach, and he's going to be a hell of a DC for someone next year, but yeah there's just no excuse for how awful his teams have looked at times.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

75% chance Kliff is at Tech next year. His buyout is massive.

That's what I wondered, but wasn't 100% sure.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Yup. Tech can't afford the buyout and a new coaching staff, otherwise that loss would have gotten him fired.

Get blown out by Baylor next week and that might change.

I just looked and lmao 17m? loving really?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Down to 9.4m now.

17m was the start of his contract extension, 6 years, 22m, 17m guaranteed. Next year it'll be down to 6m or 3m (depending on how that all works), and that's more affordable.

Our donors are tapped right now after starting construction on the IPF/ITF, so that makes it even harder to get the money to fire him.

Ah, that's more understandable. Kind of where we were last year. Some of our dumber fans hope someone takes Holgo of our hands, but I am not sure where he'd land.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Baylor has issues so they're going to have to go after a guy that's so hungry for a P5 HC job that they'll risk their career going down the drain if they can't withstand 2 lost recruiting classes and potential sanctions down the road.

Chad Morris is early enough in his tenure at SMU that he's not really on many people's radars (other than being due to his reputation). SMU's looking like they're going to turn around, but he needs 1 more year of equal improvement to be a hot commodity.

I could see them trying for Morris or even going for Willie Fritz and trying to sell 3-8 at Tulane in year 1.

Yeah -- though I don't know if Baylor knows that they're not going to land a big name.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

e: ^^ they can go after anyone they like, depends on who tells them "no"

Personally, I think they wind up with Phillip Montgomery and hope that no one notices that he was on the Baylor staff during the worst of their rape culture.

Right, my hunch is they're not going to land a big name because there's just a whole bunch of poo poo going on there and no one really knows how bad it might get.

kayakyakr posted:

Tech prolly would go after him. Though if Tech does wind up firing Kliff, I think the hire is a DC or CEO-type G5. This year they'd hop in the PJ Fleck lottery or take a look at Craig Brohl. Venables would get a look (not sure if he hasn't been hired away because of his salary or because Skeletons). And the fanbase has a hard on for Dave Aranda, which is understandable.

Yeah, I guessed Tech would be interested. I don't really see him getting much of a sniff at LSU or Texas. I am not overly worried cause I don't think any of the jobs coming open after that are going to be anything other than lateral moves.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

i am sorry but when you're texas and you have the talent they have, there's no excuse for being a middling big xii team

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

You might be making 2 different points here but for the record, PJ Fleck is a whole lot of things but in no way is he a "CEO-type" coach.

Fleck's an obsessive micro-manager, ain't he?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Texas should be embarrassed for how they're treating Charlie.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Democrazy posted:

So is anyone looking at Mike MacIntyre yet, or does he need a bit more sustained success at Colorado to go anywhere?

Honestly, he continues like this at CU for another few years, he would be a great hire for Oregon or another PAC-12 team.

My guess is he needs one more year of success before a big name comes calling. Baylor is reportedly interested him.

Neil Armbong posted:

Given the inexperience of the AD and president, it's regrettably unsurprising.

That's not really an excuse, and a further indictment of the program.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

John Rawl Tahd posted:

I don't understand how y'all can see how badly Texas is handling the coaching search and not think they're going to hire Charlie Weis.

They're gonna pay Tom Herman like $10m/year after Nick Saban gets another raise from Alabama.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Texas undoubtedly sucks, but not on the level that Charlie Strong made them suck.

Right. Like they're playing a whole bunch of freshman, including a first time QB -- but like they have the talent that in our lovely rear end league, they should be able to be 8-4 by just getting off the bus.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Korranus posted:

He did, and Briles did the same before. Days like this seem to be nothing more than the check coming due for a really good year at the University of Houston.

What about the rumors about Holgo

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

Holg is just loving weird in that Tony Gibson was a crappy DB coach who somehow is really good at coaching against the Big XII spread. Almost as weird as Fleck taking the worst OC of all time in Kirk CIarrocca and somehow making him non terrible.

Gibson got better as a position coach as he got older, and he's turned into a great coordinator and has always been a great recruiter.

MourningView posted:

Yeah they were good this year but the rest of his time there has been pretty underwhelming. Seems like he might want out though. That whole list is pretty meh

He likes the job, but he doesn't have a great (it's not acrimonious, just not a like buddy-buddy) relationship with Shane Lyons our AD. They had an impasse last year during contract negotiations and Lyons walked and said, okay we'll talk again after next season (he's very lucky we couldn't afford to fire him last year.) However, the consensus seems to be that a deal is in the works to keep him here, so a lot of Dana popping up in coaching searches could also be his agent (who he shares with Tom Herman).

That said, I think Holgs has done an okay job here. It's not an "easy" job, and it was made more difficult coming into a much tougher league. I think it also took him a while to realize that we couldn't just be Texas Tech East and recruit the same people, so like he's evolved a whole lot as a coach and I think showed a lot of maturity this year. On the other hand, we've still just came up short in big moments (LSU, Oklahoma x4, etc) and haven't really gotten over the hump.

If Oregon wants to outbid us, then they can but I think that or the pull of going back to a place he really liked (Houston) are the only places I am really "worried" about him going.

If he does leave, it will be interesting to see where Lyons goes. I am told that he very much thinks Alabama -- where he spent the last decade -- was how a program should be ran, and I am curious if he'd make a run at Kiffin or another Saban-ite. The fallback would be for Gibby to get the HC and bring in someone to run the Offense, but I am --personally-- not thrilled about that. The wildcard would be how much influence Gordon Gee would exert in such a high level search.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 30, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Democrazy posted:

I know it's a lean year, but I would be awfully nervous about hiring PJ Fleck as a coach of a top program. He's a great recruiter, but I would be worried about a guy who in a conference like the MAC can immediately outrecruit the competition without having to rely on your schemes or coordinators. I would be worried that he's another Brady Hoke whose talents are uniquely suited to less competitive conferences.

I don't the comparison is at all the same, but it's always a risk when you make a hire.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah It'll be interesting to hear what all was going on behind the scenes after they finally find someone.

Also! New Phil Knight strategy to finally get Oregon a NC: issue a bunch of day-glo green and yellow uniforms to OSU that are conveniently missing the SU

Ohio State is a huge Nike client?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Komet posted:

You'd think that Kiffin might be able to hold out for a better job than Houston.

Apparently no one wants to deal with him.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Do you mean GA State? Southern just hired a new coach last year, though I think it was a pretty bad hire. They need to go back to the triple option, their offense was a mess this season. I've been pimping the Navy OC a lot but the dude at New Mexico would be good too. The triple option pistol deal they're doing is super fun and has been running all over people this year.

Ken just hired a new agent so some people think he might be getting ready to look around. He's also held back by the option thing. It's viewed as gimmicky and the transition to and especially away from it can be a huge pain. GT has done pretty dang well with it all things considered though.

Calhoun you might be right but I think he's interviewed for other jobs before?

I do TV work with one of Calhoun's roommates from college. He's interviewed for a couple Power 5 jobs, and was a finalist for Tennessee, but they passed him up for Derek loving Dooley and he apparently told them to gently caress off forever over that. He came really close to an ACC job a few years ago too.

I haven't talked to the guy in a month or so, but I think I still have his email, I should find out what he's upto. I'd love to see us go after him if Holgo's left (I think it's pretty much a done deal Dana is going to be staying here.)

Calhoun's interesting because he runs the Triple Option, but his coaching tree is pretty broad and he has NFL Offensive experience, so he wouldn't run the Triple Option somewhere else. He runs it at AF because thats the talent they get.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Simplex posted:

I think with Calhoun and Niumatalolo it's not that they won't leave the service academies to take a job at a bigger school. But, that if they were willing to take a poo poo job like Purdue, they probably already would have done it. I thought Troy was gone when Tennessee came calling a few years back, he was the best candidate, and that was an opportunity to good to pass up. You can pass up a poor to middling Power 5 school though. I am really surprised that Baylor hasn't come sniffing around Calhoun though. He would give them an image makeover, and Air Force pretty heavily recruits Texas, so he's familiar with the area.

He accepted the job at Tennessee, and then they offered it to Derek loving Dooley because donors.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Kevin Wilson is a way better coach for Indiana than Les Miles would be

Indiana has hired a former LSU coach before, you see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_DiNardo

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

quote:

UH also plans to interview two in-house candidates -- interim coach/defensive coordinator Todd Orlando and offensive coordinator Major Applewhite, the Chronicle reported. Fertitta said he has received numerous calls from those close to the Baylor program voicing support for former coach Art Briles.

JESUS loving CHRIST

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-coach-position

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Korranus posted:

A still salty UH booster left this bit of info -

The courtesy car by the way was a Ford Escape.

lol, well i mean, did they want him to take it with him?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Korranus posted:

lol I guess so, at that point some still salty UH booster can accuse Herman of auto theft and his dealership wouldn't be stuck with a lovely Ford on his used car lot.

I'm lightly surprised UT made him drive to an airport. No booster could pay for a cab or limo that day? Or just helicopter him straight to UT?

lol this a good point

also, i assume that dana is not actually a candidate at uh?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Seriously he could have stashed that thing deep in a parking garage and thrown the keys away if he wanted.

"but you'll need to pay for that ford focus"

tom herman: lol, okay

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

When the Big 12 news came, this was inevitable and anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves.

gonna be real loving mad if UH hires Art Briles

This was going to happen even if they were joining the Big XII

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Yes, we have "philosophical differences." I for example, don't think being an abusive fucker who plays injured players is good. Kevin of course disagrees.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

"nick, i am being told," finebaum said, stroking the slav hair, "that lane is being recruited by LSU run his offense"

Nick sat up, straight in bed and grabbed the phone. "Hello Houston, I have a problem."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

I was hoping he'd wind up somewhere better but realistically that's probably the best job available to him right now and a huge jump from where he is. Good for him, I hope he can still have super fun offenses that light up everyone except Iowa. Also hope WKU just promotes his brother to keep their good thing rolling.

Seems like a good deal. Purdue's a tough job, but I think he's innovative enough to do well there but he might have held out for a better job once Oregon pulls the trigger -- though it sounds like barring some craziness in bowl season, there's not going to be a lot of movement.

--

I am still waiting to see who Baylor finds. I don't think they realize how awful that job is.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Even by USC and UT standards he got really good classes. He had the number one class in the country at USC one year (at a time when they were in theory under restrictions but he kinda ignored those sooo), and he's always had a rep as a good recruiter as an assistant. He's a great assistant, but I would be super reluctant to hire him as a HC given his overall track record. It's hilarious that a couple years as part of the Alabama machine was all it took to get people to treat him like a great candidate again, especially given the track record of Bama assistants everywhere else

Weeeeellll from the reports, he apparently didn't get a lot of attention from the name brand jobs because there was a lot of negative poo poo about him, and a non-power 5 is the best he was gonna do.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Rock and a hard place for WVU. Either they let a coach who just had a double-digit winning season go and they have to answer for that, or they have to break out the big bucks and bring back someone who's just as likely to bottom out and go 4-8 next year. Only good way out would have been if Holgo left for Oregon or somewhere like that.

lol, he's not likely to bottom out next year. we have the core part of this team coming back, with an actual quarterback in the wings in will grier.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I don't think he's going to leave but boy howdy would that be funny. Half the fanbase would call him a traitor and the other half would be stuck giving him an over the pants handjob for Bringing Michigan Back (trademark)

I was going to say it wouldn't an over the pants handie, but I bet Harbaugh is freaky like that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

nothin' wrong with achieving climax from a khaki'd up handjob.

future thread title

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Jim Levitt is a serial abuser who shouldn't be working, but hey,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Which was reportedly not an isolated incident.

• Locked thread