Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ChinaBob posted:

He just said an NFL coach would be a disaster at Texas. Was not disparaging Sabans results, was pointing to them.

Saban never stopped being a college coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

Travis Haney of 24/7 Sports is saying Baylor wants either Tom Herman or Chad Morris to be their next rape apologist.

I'm sorry that I'm not getting the job, but I can understand them wanting someone with more experience doing it professionally.

They're not getting Herman, but Morris seems attainable since this year is kind of a buyers' market for coaches.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 18, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Adun posted:

Am I crazy or does Jimbo Fisher have the same record at FSU against an easier conference/division as Les Miles/Coach O have at LSU?

Unless they're ludicrously successful on level with Urban Meyer or Nick Saban, fanbases get tired of their coach, it's just a fact of life. Georgia fans got tired of Richt, LSU fans got tired of Miles, and I'm sure there are a few half-wits at OU who are ready to get rid of Stoops. They have to know deep down that there's really not a higher level to achieve when you're already winning 9-10 games a year, but the change- the renewed sense of hope- is exhilarating. It's sort of like cheating on your spouse might feel.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

so is this haney guy just saying whatever the gently caress comes to mind or what

Also Western michigan to purdue is a lateral move at absolute best.

Purdue plays in the Big Ten and gets the corresponding money that comes along with that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

Any other P5 school could easily match or out pay whatever Purdue is offering.

Right, but obviously I don't think Western Michigan could, which was the only point I was making.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

It wasn't full out air raid but Rashaun Woods was a first round draft pick that people were surprised busted and Josh Fields got a look. Tatum Bell put up a couple of thousand yard years on the ground.

They were definitely at least good at offense, which is not what LSU has been recently.

Yeah, as far as I can remember those Ok State teams bore almost no resemblance to his LSU teams.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Scionix posted:

sarkesian is ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

If we've learned anything from Kiffin, it's that people can be reverse Peter Principled back down to their level of competence.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Come back to A&M Kliff. Johnny, you too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Charlie Strong and Art Briles took radically different paths and arrived at the same destination (fired). Makes u think.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sumlin's probably getting fired at the end of 2017.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

e: ^^ they can go after anyone they like, depends on who tells them "no"

Personally, I think they wind up with Phillip Montgomery and hope that no one notices that he was on the Baylor staff during the worst of their rape culture.

Tech prolly would go after him. Though if Tech does wind up firing Kliff, I think the hire is a DC or CEO-type G5. This year they'd hop in the PJ Fleck lottery or take a look at Craig Brohl. Venables would get a look (not sure if he hasn't been hired away because of his salary or because Skeletons). And the fanbase has a hard on for Dave Aranda, which is understandable.

HIRE BOB STITT!!!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

No idea - but forcing Strong to do tomorrow's press conference is just plain cruel. Get it over with if the decision is done.

My guess for dragging this out though is that it needs official action from the Board of Regents and they were not able to get a quorum or unanimous consent on a Sunday, so he can't actually be fired until tomorrow. However, I have no idea how the BoR actually operates, so that is wild speculation.

BoR- "I'll look at it at the time. I'm not looking at anything right now, I'll look at it at the time. I'll keep you in suspense, okay?"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

wernox posted:

OH DEAR GOD.....Purdue is going to hire Skip Holtz......please, no, don't let it happen.

This seems like a very Purdue hire.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LSU has to save face, they can't fire someone who's had a tenure as successful as Miles and then end up standing with their dick in their hand. If all they end up with after all this theater is like, Larry Fedora, they're going to look like a bunch of goddam retards.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 24, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

big money big clit posted:

If Texas loses to TCU then Charlie is obviously gone immediately but if they win it may not be so cut and dry.

What could beating TCU possibly prove? That they can beat a bad team and go 6-6 in an execrable Big 12 with an embarrassment of young talent? I believe for a long time Charlie was going to eventually do well there, but I see no reason to think he's going to get Texas to the level they feel they should be at. The heat on Charlie isn't about Herman being too good to pass up, it's about him having failed definitively. He's done, he deserves to be done, and now they've undermined and humiliated him. I don't see how they can bring him back.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

big money big clit posted:

It doesn't prove anything, but if they were going to fire him irrespective of how the game went then why let him coach it? They should have fired him after he lost Kansas if it was already set in stone. They didn't which makes it seem to me like they haven't decided yet and if he wins this one that won't make the decision any easier.

Les Miles was all but fired last year before he beat A&M and got paraded around by the players like they'd just won a natty.

They may indeed be considering keeping him, but it's a mistake. A mistake I hope they make.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hed posted:

So is Sumlin safe for another year?

Yes. I still think we've got to wait for a step back from where we are now before we let him go.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Off topic, but when Art Briles was a player at Houston, his parents died in a car crash on the way to one of his games. Bill Yeoman, his coach, found out before the game but waited until after the game to break the news to him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Who says "right at their eyes"? That's not a thing

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Intruder posted:

"Looking someone in the eyes" to indicate honesty is a thing, even if it was worded oddly. But anyone who didn't expect Herman to take a bigger job is an idiot :shrug:

Yeah I'm familiar with the expression, it was just bizarre wording.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

please change the thread title to NCAA Coaching Carousel: yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw football

Divine Secrets of the Yaw-Yaw Sisterhood

I've suggested this before but Mourning View turned it down because he has a secret agenda

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He probably would have made it if he hadn't lost to Oregon State.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When's the last time a P5 school got its head coach hired away? Was it when Tuberville left Tech? There's always so much talk of "x" P5 coach being a candidate for a bigger P5 job, but it seems like in recent history it practically never happens. I guess Cincy was technically in a BCS conference when Brian Kelly left.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Doesn't Wisconsin lose their head coach like every 4 years to some mediocre Power 5?

Oh yeah I forgot about that, that was weird. And Oregon State lost their coach to Nebraska. That seems to be a common theme, when these moves happen they're weirdly lateral or seemingly a step down. The Wisconsin coaches, Tuberville to Cincy, Fran leaving Bama for A&M.

I guess I forgot Kiffin to USC and Sark to USC too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Todd Graham might sort of count too, depending on how you view Pitt and the death of the Big East.

Ok I had to look it up to make sure PItt was actually in the ACC. There are a few good teams in the ACC, but man are there some completely forgettable teams in that conference.

I don't think they were in the ACC yet when he left, but the Big East was still a power conference at least in name at that point.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh yeah and James Franklin to Penn State

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Charlie Strong left Louisville for Texas right as UL was transitioning to the ACC.

More recently, Gary Andersen left Wisconsin to coach at Oregon State when Mike Riley left for Nebraska. Paul Chryst then left Pitt to take the Wisconsin job.

Kiffin from Tennessee to USC and Sarkisian from Wasington to USC are the two more recent ones I can think of involving departures from "good" P5 programs.

Long story, short: it's not terribly uncommon.

You guys aren't going to believe this, but after careful consideration I think my earlier post was wrong.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

3 year extension for Chad Morris at SMU, he's now there through 2022.

Also:

note: Chad Morris is not at SMU through 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think Kiffin would he a good get for Houston. I think in the AAC his recruiting ability alone is going to be enough to keep them ahead of most of the field.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Notre Dame is effectively its own power conference.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

Apparently Kevin Wilson is about to get fired from IU for some drat reason. Really don't understand that.

So... *looks down at resume* ...Indiana. Where do you see yourself in five years?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is this like physical abuse or is this yelling at guys and making fun of them for having an alcoholic dad type stuff?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hello Towel posted:

It sounds like neither, really - more like rushing players back from concussions and injuries.

Wow, that's kind of worse

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

If you're rushing kids back from concussions you should be banned from coaching any level of football again.

Who would enforce that?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If the buyout is reduced/eliminated if he gets another job, Indiana would be well served to be vague about what precipitated this. I like your style guys.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

Pretty sure forcing injured kids to play and avoiding the concussion protocol falls under "for cause".

I can't remember, was Beckman fired for cause? Seems like that almost never happens, probably usually generates more negative attention for the school than it's worth.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah if he settled for that little he must not have much of a leg to stand on. I always hate to see these guys self destruct in their prime, hopefully he learns from this and lands on his feet somewhere.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He's waiting a year for the A&M job to open up :pray:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Art will beat LSU and also bring back on-campus bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wow, 5 year extension for Holgo according to the ESPN ticker

• Locked thread