Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm not saying that he's a hack, but being the offensive coordinator at Alabama is kind of like loading up one of those A+ teams in the old college football video games. The quality of Alabama's roster really disguises a multitude of weaknesses. Alabama would be just fine without him.

Recruit elite talent, coach them how to play = Alabama
Recruit elite talent, kinda throw them out there and let them do whatever = LSU

Coaching kinda matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

Wow, 5 year extension for Holgo according to the ESPN ticker

Rock and a hard place for WVU. Either they let a coach who just had a double-digit winning season go and they have to answer for that, or they have to break out the big bucks and bring back someone who's just as likely to bottom out and go 4-8 next year. Only good way out would have been if Holgo left for Oregon or somewhere like that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If the door's truly closed at Oregon, I wonder if Fleck's stuck in Kalmazoo or if any decent dominoes fall in his favor. Going to Cinci or USF would be an advancement, but given that he was the #2 guy on the market after Herman it'd be a disappointment to not get into the P5 level.

It's not completely uncommon for coaches to have to wait a year for the right opportunity, re: Sumlin/Herman, but if the boat sinks Fleck might be up poo poo's creek without a paddle.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Would Bama hire Kevin Wilson as OC?

MourningView posted:

I doubt they would have serious moral qualms about it but the story going around has been that this was part of the reason they brought in Sark as coordinator.

Yeah, if Wilson really is untouchable after these allegations then you can't bring him on as a coach, but you can bring him on as one of the "coaching assistants" army that Saban has underneath him and what Sark is now. Spend some time in Saban Rehabilitation Home for Wayward TrojansCoaches and then step back into a minor role.

Counting Sark and Kiffykins for now, Saban's got what, three former HCs on staff right now? Those two and Cristobal, am I missing anyone else?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

RealTalk that makes Mac the 4th best recruiting HC in the state of Florida and we're likely to have real issues if Strong can manage to keep Taggart's momentum.

So if I've got this right:

1: Jimbo
2: Richt
3: Strong
4: Butch
5: Mac
6: TBA pending incoming Lane Train

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Watch Harbaugh go to New England after Belichick/Brady retire having won their twentieth Super Bowl.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
When does Jeff fisher head to Tuscaloosa

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Hey everyone I heard some Syrians were trying desperately to get out of Aleppo and go somewhere, anywhere, but when they heard that they could go to New Jersey they said "No thanks, we'd rather just tough it out here."

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

Better there than Terminal A of the actual airport, believe me

And better there than the cockpit of the plane, believe me

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Going back to this because I ain't talking about Rutgers football unless someone's putting money in my hand or a gun to my head:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who had the best at the bottom this year? SEC?

I'd say the Pac-12, tbh. Oregon fell the gently caress off but I'd take them over the Kansas/Missouris of the world. The South being varying degrees of mediocre helps and at least Arizona can move the ball. Could also make a decent argument for the ACC as well since BC managed to fail upwards and even Duke was within spitting distance of getting APR'd into a bowl.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CrumFUNist! posted:

The bottom of the Pac-12 had defenses that would probably give up at least 30 to Rutgers.

They had offenses that would put up 50 on Rutgers, though.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Assuming none of these guys run off to the NFL, top guys on the hot seat going into next year would be? Top 5 off the head with no research:

1: Brian Kelly
2: bert
3: Kevin Sumlin
4: Hugh Freeze
5: Kliff Kingsbury

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CrumFUNist! posted:

Jim Mora, Todd Graham, Rich Rodriguez, Sonny Dykes all look to be hanging by a string. With Dykes it's more of a mutual feeling. A third of the Pac-12.

Yeah, I'd put Mora at 6, maybe swap him and Koach Kliffy K.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Anals of History posted:

Kiffin's going to end his career in Larry Brown territory for number of bridges burned.

At least Larry Brown won titles as a HC.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

I'm sure he'd prefer to stay in the NFL personally but I don't think an OC job is going to stop him from taking a big money head coach job next year if he starts getting offers (and I'm guessing he will)

Let's start Chip Kelly to Notre Dame rumors and see who's head explodes first.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Someone who won't call clock-stopping, low-percentage passes while protecting a lead in the NCG. At least not as many as Sarkisian. He just got done coaching TE at the Patriots, so Bama will now probably star some giant, unstoppable TE who somehow avoids the coverage gets away with lots of OPI and takes 5 to 10 yards to bring down after the catch. Plus the usual incredible running game.

OJ Howard seen furiously altering his birth certificate.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

This is kinda how I see it too. I get the feeling we're going to plateau or drop back at some point.

Depends a bit on the school/conference. The odds of the MAC ever having a coach making over $1m base pay are basically zero. On top of that, schools seem to be a lot more trigger-happy to fire coaches these days so overall pay to a coach may not be as huge in the long run either. Bama's obviously it's own pretty unique case.

I imagine Fleck was close last year after bonuses and all that. But Saban's the curve-breaker since any coach wanting Saban money would be told to produce Saban results. But then again, Harbaugh's the exception to that rule, so who knows.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Akileese posted:

So is the 4 million signing bonus INCLUDED in the 11M+ or on top of it? Wording seems to imply it could be either.

Included, best I can tell. 7.whatever million plus the 4m signing bonus for this season. Next year he'll be back in the 7m range (up until Bama gives him another extension/signing bonus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

Mississippi is 50th* and they ain't won poo poo, could be worse!

*Did not actually look this up but am still extremely confident it is true

I assume the Bama state motto is still "Thank God for Mississippi "

• Locked thread