Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Going (briefly) back to the MAC, I would be astonished if Fleck wasn't picked up by someone after this year, even for a mediocre season. I would hate it forever as a Bronco alum, but the guy can flat-out recruit like no one's business (247 gave WMU the best recruiting class in the MAC by a wide margin after a season where they won one game a couple years ago). Throw in that he's a solid, offensively-minded coach, and how many P5 schools who have national name recognition but dismal on-field product wouldn't try to scoop that up (like, say, Kentucky)? I get that a lot of people view this as Fleck's "put up or shut up" year, but I really don't think he necessarily has to win the conference to still get some very tender offers that WMU can't match. And then I'll cry my heart out because we can't have nice things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Alaois posted:

hopefully the Bahamas Bowl, aka the best possible bowl

That would be amazing, it would be 3 years of Directional U (and all represented, no less!) in Nassau

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I know Fleck is one of the top plums to be picked this year, but a (very much biased) blog had the opinion that if WMU made the Cotton Bowl, Fleck may stay at WMU. I'm struggling to understand his reasoning, because I am absolutely a mega-homer for the Broncos/Row-Boaters, but I can't see his logic on this one. Beyond maybe the big-boys take the program seriously and he has incentive to build or something? Help me understand this madness

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

maybe he really loving loves Bell's.

I mean, I do

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

He won't.

Fleck was begging for the Rutgers job last year, albeit he didn't have this season to stand on. No way he is staying, and I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, in almost every situation a coach will leave. If Google offered you a lot of money you would probably quit your job and go work there.

And I'm not bragging, he used to be an assistant at RU. Before this year he was seen as a major stretch even with Flood cratering our program.

I wouldn't brag about Rutgers football if I were you, either

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

So who's going to win the PJ Fleck sweepstakes?

Desperately praying it will be WMU (it will not be WMU)

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Prozach posted:

PJ Fleck, I guess? Les Miles for name recognition even though he'd likely fail?

I dunno, it seemed like Texas was hinging everything on Tom Herman so losing out on him is gonna make things awkward. Especially since Charlie isn't actually fired yet.

Jesus, please not Fleck to Texas. Not because I don't want to lose Fleck (full disclosure, I don't want to lose Fleck), but the last thing we need are Longhorn fans/boosters buying into his "Have an ELITE day!" stuff and becoming more insufferable than they already are

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

No, the league is loving awful and should be forcibly disbanded. Pretty much the only saving grace is that Midwesterners are forced to pay for this on their cable bills.

I'm glad to pay for it, because as a MAC fan, it means I sometimes get to see my team on TV without having to gently caress around with internet sources

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

This thread is great, and a glimpse into the aspect of teams that I certainly don't consider enough, but goddamnit, every time I see an explosion of posts, my first thought is "oh gently caress, there went Fleck"

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Can the B1G trade Rutgers for Mizzou? I feel they would have been the better choice for program level, culture, and geography reasons. Rutgers then would have been free to join the AAC or embrace their destiny and been rejected by the Ivy League in an FCS transition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I don't know whether to root for Minnesota because Fleck was great at WMU, or to hate them because those fuckers took our coach. Now to settle in for the steep slide back to mediocrity, barring Flacco the Younger suddenly emerging as a world-beater or something

• Locked thread