Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Cmon Baylor, hire Bo Pelini, loving do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Another thing Paul Johnson's got going for him is that he got a very favorable contract extension after 2014. I don't know the exact numbers, but from what I understand, he's got a pretty hefty buyout and the athletic department's kind of strapped for cash. I think a crappy 2016 season would put him in the hot seat for 2017 rather than getting him definitely fired, as much as that seems to be what the fan consensus is at the moment.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I still can't believe Southern didn't bend over backwards to keep Fritz.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Raku posted:

Jared Lorenzen said he wanted a change after last night

He gone

lol, Jared Lorenzen still has pull with the program?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
How did a guy who made Vandy a 9-4 team twice fail to hit that same mark at Penn State

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
How likely is Bo Pelini to get hired by an FBS team this year

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If any mid-major Florida school was going to make the move to the big time, I would have thought they'd do it while the big three Florida schools were down. From the mid-2000's until like, this year, you had a situation where every year, Miami and either UF or FSU was down. Now, Miami and UF are both on the rise and FSU is remaining dominant and I can't see any other Florida football programs making much headway in recruiting or general hype.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spintzel posted:

Plus isn't FIU like one of the largest university's in the hemisphere?

FIU is pretty large, but you might be thinking of UCF, which is the largest in the country.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Saban to Texas was a fun time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sash! posted:

Have they ever really had a name? All I remember is that time Kyle Orton fumbled so badly that it destroyed an entire program and that Drew Brees might have been quarterback there at some point. Anything before that is mysterious.

Looking at winsipedia, the last time Purdue was consistently good was in the 60's.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Harbaugh leaving the 49ers when he did was even more inexplicable than Chip Kelly leaving them now so I'm willing to believe it's possible.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It's still funny to me that every year, someone in the SEC West will be getting paid at least $4 million to come last in the division.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thoguh posted:

So what are they gonna do if Texas beats TCU and becomes bowl eligible? Just have Strong hang out there twisting in the wind for another month?

Has a coach ever been fired after a bowl game for on-the-field reasons?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
ESPN just had a chyron saying Herman to LSU is a done deal.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Purdue is the dead end-est of dead end jobs in college football.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spintzel posted:

What's the Georgia situation looking like? I'm sure they must be furious at Smart for losing to GaTech

They fired Richt for consistently finishing with better records than Smart gave them so yeah, they're pissed. But not enough to put him on the hot seat. I doubt they'll fire him next year too unless next season is a complete collapse. If there's no improvement in 2018 I figure they'll be looking at other options, though.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Listen, gently caress Sewanee :argh:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm just so happy Ed Orgeron is the head coach of LSU. I'm not super invested in the team but I hope he sticks around a long time because personality-wise, I can't imagine a better coach-program combo than Ed Orgeron at LSU.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who is is this Derek P guy?

"Special Assistant to the Head Coach" apparently.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 29, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Eltoasto posted:

Apparently Kevin Wilson is about to get fired from IU for some drat reason. Really don't understand that.

Maybe IU figures this year is a good time to throw their hat in the ring while there aren't a ton of super prestigious head coach positions available.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

If that's accurate then that's a drat good hire.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sab0921 posted:

Florida should just let Spurrier text in play calls from the golf course

smh if you think Steve Spurrier has ever texted anyone

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Great hire for Purdue. He may be another G5 coach but he's been consistently good at WKU for three years, not just a one-season wonder getting snapped up by a desperate P5 program.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Seems like a good hire for Baylor but yeesh their 2017 class is gonna be dogshit.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
He didn't do well at Texas but he did really well at Louisville. I don't think Strong's a bad football coach, just perhaps Texas wasn't a good fit for him.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Sometimes coaches are good at lower levels of competition and bad at higher levels of competition. Look at Nick Saban's NFL coaching career.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Boo, I was hoping for Ed Orgeron and Lane Kiffin to become college football's newest power duo.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Mike Bobinski making the big moves at Purdue.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Duckaerobics posted:

Sark is Alabama's new OC.

Is USC the new Bama pipeline

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Wrong thread

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Some steakhouse in Ann Arbor was running a promotion where steaks the next day would be discounted by however many points Michigan beat Rutgers by, and you can't convince me that Harbaugh ran up the score for any reason other than cheap steaks.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LeeMajors posted:

That looks pretty good.

I'd put Mac at 5a if the team looks absolutely awful tomorrow. And it'll be red hot if we are a dumpster fire again next year.

New AD...maybe we will never hire another Saban assistant.

I know your division's been bad and all, but I can't fathom a coach who's brought his team to their conference championship game twice in his first two years being in the hot seat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Columbus delenda est

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
One day they're gonna separate the P5 and G5. Then they're gonna cut off the P5 bottom feeders. Eventually, top-level college football will be nothing but Ohio State and Alabama facing each other 15 times a year.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Gophers 247 is saying that Minnesota's offered Fleck the job. AP's saying that they also reached out to Joe Moorhead, but he wasn't interested.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, Minnesota seems like a pretty good job to me. It's a good team in a weak division that only needs a little push to start competing for conference championships every year.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

On one hand, staff stability is good for recruiting, and of course, working with guys you know well has its advantages, but at the same time, what's it say about that staff that nobody's been interested enough in any of them to bring them over? Northwestern doesn't pay its assistant coaches exorbitantly, does it?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
http://kstp.com/sports/university-of-minnesota-new-football-coach-pj-fleck-gophers-tracy-claeys/4363187/?cat=7
Minneapolis media is reporting that Fleck to Minnesota is expected to happen soon, with pay in the range of $21M for 6 years.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dilber posted:

I cannot stop laughing that someone hired him.

as a reminder, his best way to defend georgia tech was 2 deep safeties in case they pass on every play.

2014 was a magical year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm sure it'll be fine, it's not like Houston has a strong divisional opponent who runs a flexbone offense, right

• Locked thread