Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Can we buy Les Miles? I'm willing to try a different SEC head coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

He's a good recruiter who caught the sec east at a really good time but isn't actually a very good coach

He makes very puzzling decisions at the worst times. Like yesterday. It's 4th and not too long, deep in Michigan territory with tons of time, trailing by 28 points and you waste a time out to kick a field goal? In what way did that make any sense?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

its not even the right kind of lion! He can't even animorph correctly!

BOB beat top 15 teams when he had a garbage team that lost to Ohio. Come back to us BOB because clearly you are not meant for the NFL.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Regnevelc posted:

Purdue just has no name anymore in the realm of college football, the Tiller years are far far far gone.

Have they ever really had a name? All I remember is that time Kyle Orton fumbled so badly that it destroyed an entire program and that Drew Brees might have been quarterback there at some point. Anything before that is mysterious.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

James Franklin most certainly saved his job last night

The rest of the schedule looks winnable, really, so...a 10-2 season even with a loss to Pitt and getting ground into a fine paste by Michigan bought him a lot of time.

Lose a nonsense loss to Rutgers or something and you'll piss away the Ohio State good vibes instantly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

imagine having a statue in your office that could, at any moment, come alive through dark alchemy and coach a bowl game

This is basically why Bill O'Brien had the Paterno statue cast into fires of US Steel's furnaces.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Proud Christian Mom posted:

warehouse full of them. its the only thing thats kept the foundries going.

The others were cement.

You could buy them for your yard.

I always thought it was stupid

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is there anyone in a semi-precarious situation that could get canned after a bowl game disaster?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DrunkPanda posted:

I literally don't know how you are supposed to dress at a strip club

Gym shorts, basketball jersey, foam finger that says STRIPPERS #1

?????

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you've ever thought "I want to find a place that combines with rundown shittiness of the Rust Belt with the expenses of the urban Northeast, married to New York elitism," then New Jersey might be the place for you!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kim Jong Il posted:

You know it's actually a gigantic upscale suburb for the most part like the rest of the northeast?

Kill is a lovely hire and I am really upset right now.

Is there some other New Jersey because the only one I've ever seen is the lovely one that's got Newark, Jersey City, and Trenton.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't believe Kyle Orton fumbled so badly that Purdue lost games into the future as a result

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rutgers went to one bowl (in NEW JERSEY EVEN) in the 20th century, then took another 30 years to get a second one.

That's a sign of all time garbage team.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

I haven't done the research, but I am willing to bet the worst SEC team (Vanderbilt? Mississippi State?) has a comparable record to Rutgers over the last 50 years.

Winning percentage is much better than Vandy and Kentucky and light years ahead of Indiana and Wake Forest, but their schedule before the 80s is often devoid of anyone that's not an FCS team nowadays.

For example, in 1963, they went 3-6 against Princeton, Harvard, Colgate, Lehigh, UPenn, Boston (not Boston College), Lafayette, Delaware, and Columbia. That's a pretty weak schedule even by back then standards

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kim Jong Il posted:

No, it's a sign that bowl expansion wasn't really a thing until relatively recently.

No, that's why Rutgers has been to nine bowls since 2000 and one since before.

Even Temple played two 20th century bowls. One of them was the Sugar Bowl in the 30s. Temple: literally better than Rutgers at bowl games.

Wake Forest, the worst power 5 team of all time in win/loss percentage, went to five in the 20th century.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

You're not gonna get the fans out without handing out a few fishes and loaves

Coach Jesus replied, “They do not need to come off the board. You give them something to string them along.”

“We have here only seven scholarships to offer,” His recruiting coordinator answered.

“Bring those markers here to me,” He said. And He erased and re-wrote names in columns on the whiteboard. Taking the seven scholarships and looking up to Heaven, He gave thanks and wrote the handwritten cards. Then He gave them to the assistant coaches, and the assistant coaches gave them to the recruits. They all texted and were satisfied, and the assistant coaches picked up twelve commits.

"Greyshirts, son," He proclaimed.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

1: Urban Meyer
2: Brian Kelly
3: bert
4: Kevin Sumlin
5: Hugh Freeze

Adapted to reflect twitter

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What did Minnesota Coach do? All I remember was idiots doing idiot things and it made me put a lot of confidence points on Washington State (?). It's been a busy few weeks and Christmas seems like a month ago.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ohio State and Alabama piling up successful and moderately successful head coaches to make one staff makes me uncomfortable.

Maybe they'll ban football because of concussions while the rest of us still have any sort of chance.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

what counts as "for cause" when firing a coach and why isn't "did not win enough football games" (poor performance) a cause?

Presumably something like this would count https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yngq9NmOnFw

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jay Paterno won't shut up and he doesn't even have a job. Coach Sons are like a higher evolution of car dealer sons.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean technically his father managed a crisis for decades before anyone did anything about it so he might know a thing or two.

His dad, successful manager and charismatic leader, did.

Jay Paterno, unsuccessful assistant manager and guy that couldn't even get snaps on his dad's team, would probably leave a letter titled SECRET RAPE COVER-UP PLANS (DO NOT COPY) on the copier at the library.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

6 units responded to the DUI and he ended up with a bunch of traffic violations.

Two I can understand, three even makes sense if a third one happened by.

Six? What GTA nonsense was he up to?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My decades of video game football and yelling at the TV have taught me that I have better clock management skill than 98 to 99 percent of all coaches.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

an adult beverage posted:

Eh... Mississippi or West Virginia, works for both.

I believe both of them are actually ahead of Alabama.

South Carolina is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

south carolina is not that bad

South Carolina is "shoddy at best" when it comes to education.

I didn't find any list that put them higher than 43rd and a couple that ranked them 50th.

• Locked thread