Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After the Louisville game, it might be time for FSU to move on from Jimbo. Hasn't won a big game in years, hasn't won a championship in almost half a decade. :smith: Don't know who we could get to replace him.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

Oh no how awful. You're still going to sleepwalk to a 9 win season at the very least. May as well fire everyone.

No need to be sarcastic. :(

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

Chubb to coach LSU

Coach Chubb would be the SEC-iest coaching name ever.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

swickles posted:

No joke, FIU is going to be legit in a few years. The amount of money being thrown around at that school in literally every department would blow you away. I wouldn't be surprised if they do go after someone like Les Miles to grow the program.

FIU needs a coach willing to stay a decade or so, to really build it up, and hell, Miles is getting old. Wouldn't be the worst place to retire. Not happening, of course.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

Once again proving that he is Saban's best apprentice

He's the only one with any lasting success, right? I can't think of anybody else.

Besides, if he really wants a better job, as long as he keeps doing good at FSU, when Saban retires, Alabama might come knockin'.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some SEC incest would be funny, but there's no school looking to hire Les, sadly.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe Les could bring his folksy down-home charm to the Pacific Northeast? :iiam:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoguh posted:

ISU at least has institutional and fan support though.

Which is actually more sad if you think about it for too long. ISU tries really hard to win and is terrible. Purdue doesn't care and is terrible.

Serious question: Does Iowa have the population to have two middlin' to good teams?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda hope Kiffen gets another chance and does really well. :unsmith: But I'm a sucker for sports redemption stories.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:smithicide:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress this gay post-trump earth

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Beating LSU and losing to FSU sounds better.

We're already missing the loving playoffs yet again.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

While I agree you, I also wish maximum pain on FSU and I think he's kind of a yokel dipshit. I'd love to see him in BR condemned to a Sisyphean engagement with Saban.

Don't hate on Jimbo, man.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

an adult beverage posted:

Miles, Locksley, and Sarkisian to Purdue? :getin:

Also :laffo: @ FSU although Florida will still have to play Jumbo every year, at least FSU will suffer.

:mad:

Why don't he want me, Uncle Phil?

:smithicide:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Arkansas usually does pretty good, considering they play in the SEC West, and usually manage to steal one or two wins from the big boys every year. I can't remember if they ever beat Alabama, though. Probably doesn't matter, not many teams do.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

Looked it up out of curiosity, in the SEC West under Bielema they've beaten Ole Miss 3 times, LSU twice, Mississippi State and Auburn once.

There's also some wins over SEC East teams in there, but for the west specifically.

That's not terrible, and they usually go to a bowl game. Arkansas is a small state without a lot of people, so they probably know not to expects eleven or twelve wins every year.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for staying, Jimbo. :unsmith:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Disband the Big 12 and bring back the SWC and rename it the Texas Conference

How high should the spending cap be?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly, I hate the Gators, but if FSU/UF stopped happening as the last game of the season every year, it might legit kill half or more of my interest in college football.

Please don't leave, bae. :smith:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

Yeah that AD is Pat Chun, he was a long time associate AD at Ohio State. He's quietly done a really good job at FAU in the overall picture.

He has.

The weird "small" (as far as football goes) schools in Florida can all get a little better, just by hitting on some of the three stars that might wanna stay in-state and play, maybe with the rare four everybody else missed on.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm convinced the McElwain to Oregon rumor is something McElwain started to get a raise

Hell, he's been to back to back SEC championships games, somehow.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking like Briles might be blackballed, at least for a few years.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy if you're right.

I certainly hope he never coaches another down at any level, but I'm sure he will.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gators should keep Coach Mac or rehire Muschamp, imo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Komet posted:

There's no reason why Purdue can't be a reasonably good 7 or 8 win team almost every year. They were never going to win a national championship under Joe Tiller, but he had them in bowls every year with one of the most exciting offenses in college football. If Indiana can get to being a bowl team, Purdue can get back there also. Who knows if Indiana stays above .500 in the future. I agree that Purdue ought to be able to compete with Minnesota, NW, Indiana, Illinois, and maybe Iowa every year.

Should be able to steal one from Michigan/Michigan State/Ohio State/Wisconsin/Nebraska every so often, too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Miles to Florida, book it, Vince.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrunkPanda posted:

I don't understand the MacElwain hate. He completely turned the CSU program around pretty quickly. And then he quickly turned Florida from an unranked team to a top 15 team. Sure, the offense sucks but it sucked before he got there too and didn't his starting qb miss the year due to injury?

It's a weird fit for Oregon, but I don't look forward to the prospect of having to play against him again.

The problem is it still kinda feels like Muschamp's good years, where the team never felt/looked as good as its record showed, and that eventually caught up to them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

:suicide:

It was a combination of coaching attrition, promotion of Addazio to OC, inability to adapt offense to anyone other than Tebow, and poor QB recruiting/depth.

Wasn't that also about the time all the stories about the total lack of discipline on the team were starting to surface? Well, nationally, I mean. I lived in Gainesville at the time (Camelot apartment 4 life) and it wasn't a very well kept secret around town.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 10, 2016

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

an adult beverage posted:

Back when Aaron Hernandez was popping off an AK-47 downtown and not getting in trouble.

And holy poo poo did you live at Camelot when that guy got killed there?

The one just recently? Nah, I ain't lived there since 2007.

I'm assuming there's all kinds of poo poo happening at Ohio State we won't hear about until Urban leaves or something, because gently caress, he apparently didn't believe in discipline at all.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrunkPanda posted:

I like the fact that in Florida, you have to specify WHICH murder in your apartment building somebody is referencing. Are you talking about the one that happened last week or the one that happened a couple months ago? :shobon:

'Cause murders happen nowhere else in the country, clearly.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genocide Tendency posted:

You won't hear poo poo because its OSU and Columbus is slightly less welcoming to criticism of university athletic programs than State College.

Apartment murders in Gainesville are kinda like meth lab explosions in Indiana. You have to be specific because they happen at an oddly disproportionate rate.

Also. Gainesville is a rat gently caress poo poo hole.

GO Noles!

My first apartment in Gainesville, the day I'm moving in, me and my brother were carrying a couch inside, and some dude directly across the street got shot in the rear end.

Can't really hold that against Gainesville, though, since I was moving into Pine Ridge, the worst part of Gainesville.

But yes, gently caress the Gators.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Urbz doesn't have the ACC meatgrinder to deal with, though. :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

swickles posted:

I say this without irony, Florida needs to bring back Zook as a recruiting coordinator or something like that.

Zook was an amazing recruiter, so I say yes, but only if he's also head coach again, or co-head coach with Muschamp.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No sir, I don't want Lane at Miami. Unlike some other teams in Florida, FSU plays them every year, and we don't need them getting good again.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All FBS Florida teams should have to play each other every year. :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spintzel posted:

Make a conference of Florida teams. Winner gets the SEC East

If we added Alabama, Aurburn, Georgia, and Georgia Tech, it'd be a fairly decent conference. The Deep Southeast Conference.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

Dirty South Conference

Yes! Short road trips, keep it to 10 or 11 teams so we can do round robin, since that conference wouldn't have to worry about being left out of the playoffs pretty much ever.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If he wants a top tier head coaching job again, this is what he has to do, though. ADs aren't gonna trust him unless he behaves himself for a while.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

Hate on late life Al Davis all you want, being willing to attempt something like that is a good thing. Also it brought us the best head coach firing press conference ever.

I unironically love Al Davis. By far the most progressive owner; pretty sure he was the first to hire a Latin and an African-American as head coaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raku posted:

A 5 star recruit is attending his grandma's 85th birthday somewhere in Florida and the coaches start to show up for recruitin':

1) Charlie Strong--woke the kid up bright and early and started trying to teach him lessons about life
2) Mark Richt--drives them all to church beforehand
3) Jimbo Fisher--left an envelope full of money in the mailbox cuz he had to speak to his attorney today
4) Jim McElwain--was on the side of the road next a car with a smoking hood, wearing flipflops and laughing for some reason, holding a drink
5) Butch Davis--showed up to the birthday party early and has been aggressively recruiting since it started
6) Lane Kiffin--emerges from the shadows smelling of cigarettes after the old people have gone home. There is lipstick on his unbuttoned collar. Clearly drunk, he pats the kid on the shoulder and says he'll see him on the beach... and the girls are going to be waiting. He laughs, and tells the recruit that if the cops ask who he was.... "Tell them it was Joey... Joey Saltwater."

The recruit commits to Alabama.

Same, but it happens at the annual Florida Classic between Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman. (two HBCUs for you non-Floridians, and it's always a good time)

• Locked thread