Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I want to disagree with the Strong status, but can't. I think he's a good coach and will root for his success to the end, but am unsure if he can do enough to save himself this year.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Thermos H Christ posted:

Back on the Strong topic, it occurs to me that this whole Baylor thing will definitely not hurt him when it comes time to decide his fate. Strong has established an image for himself as a guy who is serious about running a clean program, in particular when it comes to criminality. That's going to put that much more pressure on the school to stand by him, and there's already quite a bit. Plus if he has even a marginally better season he's going to be poised to take his recruiting to the next level. His success in recruiting so far has been in no small part because he sells parents on how he's going to mold junior into a fine young man. Parents can exert a lot of influence over these decisions. That's going to become an even bigger selling point in the aftermath of Baylorgeddon, and there's going to be one less competitor for in-state talent if Baylor is in shambles.

I don't think anything saves him if he turns in another losing season, but from where I'm standing it's kinda hard to see him getting fired if he wins 7+ during the regular season. I'm no longer standing by my thoughts about the importance of a bowl win, because the decision will likely be made one way or the other before any bowl game is played.

Hopefully you are right.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

R.D. Mangles posted:

What happened to Heard? I thought he was going to be amazing after that Cal game, but then I guess he got hurt and now he's not the clear guy in spring practice? Dude could throw and is shifty as hell.

I think he got hurt again.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
I'm still not sold on Herman leaving UH, especially if the big 12 decides to expand and include Houston this year.

He's putting together some good teams and if they get into p5, why would you leave for a school with higher expectations in a much harder conference/division.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

Houston is not getting a Big XII invite this year.

Yeah, it's a long shot for sure, that's why I qualified with an if.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
If the season goes the way the game today did, I can't see Strong coaching another season. After a bye week following a poor defensive game, the defense regressed this week leading to a truly bad loss.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

fast cars loose anus posted:

Hmm its almost like Johnny Manziel made a difference or something

For one season. A better a&m team lost to a lovely texas team helmed by Case Fuckin' McCoy. And I believe it's the SEC who's kept the teams from meeting in bowl games.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

DJExile posted:

I've been ready for this for years now

make it happen, purdue

E: oh boy big shock the ncaa hates cool things

It's some legit bush league poo poo, so this is a good thing.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
My current thoughts are keeping Strong around for another year under the condition that he's cleaning house on D. I think long-term, it's important for Texas to show that a coach will get a legit shot to turn the program around. I don't envy the AD in having to make this choice.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Scionix posted:

what is there left to "clean house" about. Why do you trust the guy to make executive decisions when his coordinator hires were spectacularly bad. Why do you think he would improve the defense when the defense has done nothing but regress. 3 years is plenty of time to show improvement when you're making five million dollars a year.

That's a legit question. Maybe only an outside search via AD/committee to find a new DC for Strong? Idk how that would work though, so maybe it's not a realistic option.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yeah... Charlie Strong is definitely going to be on the market.

Bummed. I hope he finds success at his next stop, but I completely understand getting canned for losing to 1-9 Kansas.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Texas should be embarrassed for how they're treating Charlie.

Given the inexperience of the AD and president, it's regrettably unsurprising.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My guess is he needs one more year of success before a big name comes calling. Baylor is reportedly interested him.

That's not really an excuse, and a further indictment of the program.

Not offering as an excuse. I def think it's amateur hour at the moment with this situation.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LLCoolJD posted:

The Texas AD has missed his window to fire Strong with righteous indignation. Now they're much more shackled to the result of Friday's game. Watch Texas beat a mediocre TCU and get stuck with another 7-5 type season next year.

It may be misguided, but maybe he thinks there's something to sticking to his word of waiting until the end of the season to make a decision, aka fire Charlie. And by not breaking that word, in some sense standing up to other boosters.

A man can dream.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

DuckHuntDog posted:

Maybe they aren't so sure they can get Herman? I have no idea why they are being so
cautious otherwise.

UH AD is vehement that money will not be a factor in losing Herman. I don't think they can match Texas in pocket depth, but maybe a booster is stepping up to try.

Edit: clarity

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 22, 2016

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
Kyle Allen sucks, Buchelle is the truth. Who gives a poo poo what he thinks.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Adun posted:

Tim Brewster: desirable coach is a weird development

He's a great recruiter

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Komet posted:

You'd think that Kiffin might be able to hold out for a better job than Houston.

It actually seems like the perfect spot to get back into being a head coach. Enough talent there/to recruit and is a proven stepping stone for successful coaches.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

I admittedly have lost track of him because it's Duke, but why has no one looked Cutcliff's way? Is it just because of age or has he said that he doesn't want to coach anywhere else?

From what I can tell, there's 0 reason for him to leave that job. He's in the twilight of his career and has exceeded their expectations -- he can only get a more stressful/less stable job by moving.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

sportsgenius86 posted:

Diamont's dad is some soap opera god and his mom was one of Jerry's girlfriends on Seinfeld. He's always been talked about above his production level because of that.

And Kevin Wilson sounds like a lovely dude but if they wanted to give him a chance to repair his image by giving him Tim Beck's job I would be okay with that.

If you're rushing kids back from concussions you should be banned from coaching any level of football again.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
Houston is making a heel turn with two of those three if hired.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

vyst posted:

Lane Kiffin is a face character lol if you disagree

Not after what I read about him in The System. Maybe he's turned face under saban, but his coaching before that is pure heel.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

an adult beverage posted:

Member that time Texas did a home and home with UCF? I member.

Texas played UH for a few years when I was in undergrad for OOC. UT also did a home and home with Wyoming of all schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He did pretty damned well at Louisville.

I think the quote may be out of context. I saw his USF presser and he was talking about his experience at Texas and how much he learned from it and enjoyed it, would do it all over again, etc. Idk, probably not the best analogy to make either way, but I don't feel like he's left a bare cupboard the way some coaches do.

• Locked thread