Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Richrod still has the school bending over backwards to make him happy, and that's probably going to go on for quite a while. But there's almost an anti-buzz to football this year (which isn't that unusual if you've been in Tucson long enough), and it's not unprecedented for the community to just say "ah gently caress it" after the first loss of the year and then the team's basically just playing for the student section. That might make that call from West Virgina a lot more attractive. I hope I'm wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DJExile posted:

RichRod seems to have a great relationship with Greg Byrne and I don't think expectations at Arizona are exactly super high so I'd imagine he's pretty safe.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Richrod is in the tough spot of having to play (by looking at their schedule) 4-5 games (this season) that could go either way this year and the power dynamic of the Pac12 shifting away from Oregon the last few years to maybe USC coming back in a big way. I don't really know that WVU would be any easier for him to win or maintain success at, with Texas, OU, Baylor, and TCU on the docket too.

Oh, the WVU thing was more in reference to C. Everett Koop's breakdown of his job security. He's super safe as far as the school is concerned, I more worry about him getting bored.

Expectations are weird, because they're low, but because they're so low it's a tough ticket to sell. It's still one of the cheapest tickets in college football even though they've installed some more expensive seats, and it's a lovely experience as long as it's not a day game before November, but people just won't come out to see anyone but the Southern California schools if the team isn't ranked top 10. I think most fans are still pleasantly surprised when the team gets into a bowl but only barely more interested than when the team only wins 3-4 games.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

It's also not impossible that UCLA is still actually good

Well, they still look like the best Pac south team )=

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

That's good news, awesome.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DJExile posted:

Greg Byrne was asked about RichRod supposedly being on the hot seat:

so that answers that

I have actually only heard one singular fan speculate about what's going on with Arizona right now being his fault, and it's the guy who yells loudly "C'MON THAT'S HOLDING!" almost every single play.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The 5-1 was a bit of a mirage because they had the easiest schedule in d-1 college football through like four weeks.

I've never been a huge fan of Graham but are they gonna get an upgrade if they fire him?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

https://twitter.com/ghansen711/status/820821461787021312

So, uhh, this is a good hire for Alabama (he's done incredibly good things for Arizona), but I'm sure whoever his successor is will put RichRod on a short-rear end leash so welcome to the hot seat, RichRod.

Really the only person whose opinion matters here is Sean Miller so they should pick a guy who Sean Miller can work with, RichRod be damned.

Richrod just getting to have his way in everything was mostly fine with me, but yeah, I don't see another AD just letting him have day games in September, when it's still around 100 f, in front of a half empty stadium because he feels like it's an advantage.

I dunno, this summer proved that even if Arizona recruits well initially it's just not a school with enough juice to keep said recruits. If that's the case there just really is no hope for the program.

And the fact that you can win the division and they can still stick USC or UCLA in the Rose Bowl anyway … yeah … why even bother to have a good coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DJExile posted:

Greg Byrne getting fukkn paid

Man I thought he had to take that job even before I knew what the paycheck was. Good for him.

• Locked thread