Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Re: Paul Chryst at Wisconsin - I think his smart, but quiet personality meshes better with Alvarez's big talking. Bielema probably didn't like that he wouldn't be big man on campus as long as the godfather of Badger football was his boss. Gary Anderson didn't drink and wasn't comfortable around it. Not a Wisconsin attribute. Chryst wouldn't be back in Madison for the 3rd or 4th time if he didn't know the lay of the land. If he has a string of success, he might take an NFL HC/OC position, or possibly a blueblood like USC.

C. Everett Koop posted:

If we're going to give Clawson at Wake a pass for having empty cupboards, Charlie Weis was tearing the copper out of the walls at Kansas.

I have no idea why this made me laugh so damned much but it did so thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Wisconsin's DC Justin Wilcox accepts the Cal job.
Losing DC coordinators in back-to-back years is frustrating, and compounding that silly season's almost over. Wisconsin doesn't really have a lot of options for a replacement coming from outside the program. At least there's enough starters returning (3 dlinemen, 2 linebackers, and 2 DB starters, along with a slew of injured linebackers healing up), along with the fact both of the last guys got massive raises, to be fairly attractive.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Komet posted:

Is Barry Alvarez considered to be a good AD? He has certainly driven at least two coaches away.
Overall yes, at least for the majorly visible stuff that I'm assuming he had a hand in. Chryst has already proven himself, even if it was the obvious hire at the time. He's made some good hires in men's and women's soccer and women's volleyball as well - they've all won Big 10 titles in sports Wisconsin hasn't traditionally been the best at. Under Armor's contract is a boatload more money than what Adidias was for. Probably waited the right amount of time to officially hire Greg Gard, and the men's hockey coaching staff is a dream team of former players. Built a hockey facility on campus next to the Kohl Center that seats and sells 2200 for women's hockey. Bad decisions would be waiting giving Mike Eaves a year after a 4-win season, football non-conference scheduling still hasn't had a marquee game at Camp Randall, and the concessions contract being loving terrible. Seriously, Iowa can get Coke at Kinnick but we're stuck with RC?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Raise your hand if you mentally went to Deshaun Watson first and wondered who that old dude was.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Bob Bostad fills the linebacker coaching duties at Wisconsin after reshuffling in Wilcox's departure. Two interesting things:
1. He was on the offensive side for his entire coaching career, just having played linebacker at Stevens Point.
2. He was the offensive line coach at Wisconsin from 2008-2011. 2010 had 6 offensive lineman make all-conference honors.

• Locked thread