Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Why do people think that Saban is leaving anytime soon? Just because he's been so successful there's not much else for him to do?

He's not that old and could easily coach for another decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I like the lady who comes over and tells him to shut up

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pillsburysoldier posted:

Supposedly thats his mom

Jesus that's even better.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

an adult beverage posted:

Tennessee might have an opening this year.

Yeah we could use a new OC.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Tennessee fans could go back in time, would they fire Fulmer again?

A change needed to happen but knowing what I know now, no, probably not.

Just like now a change needs to happen but I'm not sure it's Butch. Definitely DeBord. I'll wait and see what happens the rest of the season before I'm ready to call it quits on Butch.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but gently caress Clay Travis

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

First, gently caress Clay Travis, but I was wondering where Butch stands -- I assume the current level is will return but officially in danger next year but is it hot enough that any more losses this year could be the end? I know their schedule is so soft that another loss would necessarily be a bad one.

Yeah he'll stick around at least another year unless we drop one to Kentucky or mizzou. Or got forbid Vandy. I don't know if it would be an immediate firing but his seat would heat up considerably.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kim Jong Il posted:

Is it? They turned to Jones after pretty much everyone turned them down, and something similar happened with Dooley. I know Jones has recruited very well, and the east is weak - a good coach would win right away.

Well that's the difference right? After Kiffin and Dooley UT was a tire fire that had next to zero talent. Coffers are pretty full with talent now so in the hypothetical situation of looking for a new HC, it's an easier sell.

And I don't remember the search for before Butch being that bad. I think our #1 target was Charlie Strong? Or maybe that was the Dooley search, I can't remember. I think the only person to flat out say no was Kirby Smart and I think we dodged a bullet there anyway.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

2009 and 2010 saw Tennessee have two top 10 recruiting classes. Hardly "next to zero" talent.

After Dooley there was zero talent. The 2010 class Kiffin pulled in went to poo poo because he was telling them all not to go to class so they could transfer when he left.

The 2009 class two of the top three kids transferred and the third, Jansen Jackson, transferred after a year and had recently been tried for murder.

Yeah we had next to zero talent when Butch got here.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it was Dooleys last year (or the year previous) he didn't bother to recruit a single offensive lineman

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

Butch has also somehow been offering like 33 scholarships a year for five years straight it's not like he hasn't had a chance to reload

It's already been said that's what's happened though? There's talent NOW. The conversation is that there wasn't any when he got there.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lol this guy

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol at this whole post

Shoop thought it was a step up.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This argument is dumb anyway because nobody in Knoxville wants James Franklin as the HC.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why in the world is Les pitching anything to Purdue? Shouldn't the meeting consist of Les going "hey yeah I'll come coach there" and Purdue going "wow really? like this isn't a prank or anything you'll come coach for us?"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you saying that the country music scene there is bad or was that a "I like all kinds of music EXCEPT COUNTRY :colbert:" post?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Coach O Playbook

Chapter 1: Recruitin'

Me and ol' Slinky were diggin' around near the ol' abandoned shack over there and I said to him Slinky we can't go there, we was told not to go there by my maw, she said eddie i don't care if you're the size of Driskill Mountain because you are a big boy there, but you stay 'way from that shack, eddie, that's not for you, but Slinky wouldn't hear it he just said to me you know what's in that shack, probably a bunch of dead ol' alligators or a rusted out airboat engine which wasn't fair because he knew i was collectin' 'em, i had dozens of airboat motors rustin' all over the lawn and paw would come by and say ed you get those cleaned up outta here now or i'll whup up on you in that hamburger drill and there won't be no coach telling me he needs you next saturday do you hear me boy, so i said fine we can take a little peek over there, the metal had warped and rusted over the years and there was a curled up corner and i tried to get into it but it cut up my back pretty bad, like a metal nettle just carvin' it up, bleedin' all through the shirt and i said slinky you dumb ol' bastard i'm gonna get whupped up real good, my mom's gonna get the wadin' boots and but i didn't hear anything from him, slink i said, slink you dumb possum quit messin' around in there but i didn't hear nothin' more and i couldn't get in the shack because i was too big and i said slink i'm too huge

I had to stop reading twice because I was laughing so hard.

Is that from something?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I admittedly have lost track of him because it's Duke, but why has no one looked Cutcliff's way? Is it just because of age or has he said that he doesn't want to coach anywhere else?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Butch Jones maybe? Addazio? Those seem the most likely, with Sumlin as a super outside shot.

Doubt it happens though.

e: Oh Jones has a 10 million buyout? Yeah that probably isn't happening.

We also don't have an AD right now so that complicates things as well.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Hate on late life Al Davis all you want, being willing to attempt something like that is a good thing. Also it brought us the best head coach firing press conference ever.

Don't forget the 76 yard field goal attempt

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna go the other way and say that I think he winds up doing well at FAU. Then some P5 team hires him THEN he fails miserably

again

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Tennessee will have an opening by then.

If he came back to Tennessee and then bailed or failed again, he'd probably be burned alive.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrunkPanda posted:

I literally don't know how you are supposed to dress at a strip club

When someone says "hey wanna go to the strip club" and you say "yes" whatever you're wearing at that moment is appropriate.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Being reported Tennessee OC Mike DeBord is leaving and taking the same position at Indiana. Making room for Helfrich as the new OC?

Don't stop I'm almost there

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tennessee named their new S&C Coach today - Rock Gullickson - I don't know much about the guy other than he was most recently with the Rams for a bunch of years but that's exactly what a S&C coach should be named so A+ hire

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bip Roberts posted:

Wasn't he one of the psychopaths on the Rams staff on this years Hard Knocks?

I regrettably haven't seen that season but he's been there for like 8-9 years so probably? What did he do?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tk posted:

If I wanted to know how not to manage a crisis, I would go see Jay Paterno.

Edit: actually, I would go see him if I wanted to know how not to do almost anything.

I mean technically his father managed a crisis for decades before anyone did anything about it so he might know a thing or two.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tennessee bringing back Mike Canales from Utah State for a second interview for the OC position. I didn't know he had a first interview.

Anyone know anything about him?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile Tennessee still doesn't have an AD

to be fair the new chancellor doesn't take office until March 1 and they've said for a while an AD wouldn't be hired until early Feb. All signs point to Dave Blackburn being the guy

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 16, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Vols fired Willie Martinez and hired Charleton Warren from UNC to be the DB coach. Don't know much about the guy but UNC's passing defense was pretty good this year so it sounds like a good hire.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm skeptical of it at best - I really wanted Blackburn - but to play devils advocate, what's he done to suggest that he wouldn't be good at it?

Or at least bad enough to warrant the response it's gotten in this thread? I've just chalked most of the reactions up to the general "lol tennessee" attitude people here seem to have recently, but since the questions been asked, I'm genuinely curious.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the Fulmer thing is less fan service and more making boosters happy. From what I've read there's several large ones that are pushing hard for it to happen.

Most fans I've talked to or read about have wanted Blackburn.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tk posted:

Isn't that basically the same thing?

Nah

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unless something weird happens it looks like it's Larry Scott for OC and Mike Canales as QB Coach for UT

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pardon me guys but drinkchat is already going on in the offseason thread

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So it's final, Larry Scott as OC, Mike Canales as QB Coach and Charleton Warren (new DB coach) will also be ST coach.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, that's a surprise

Between him and Charleton Warren joining the staff, pretty excited to see what the defense looks like next year it'll still be poo poo

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tennessee officially announces Hoke as D Line coach and newly announced Walt Wells (????) as Oline coach.

Meanwhile we still don't have an offensive coordinator or AD

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Larry Scott was promoted to OC back in January.

*fart noise*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Bubba Cunningham, current UNC AD, is now in the picture for the Tennessee job.

Seems like a good thing, but UNC already opened the bank for them to keep him from going to Florida. I wonder if they'd do it again.

It's also really weird how they're treating Blackburn. It seems like the guy really wants to go to Knoxville but they're not letting him - wonder what happened.

• Locked thread