Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

A.o.D. posted:

Oh man, I really don't want Chip Kelly in Baton Rouge.

:stonk:

That is a goddamned terrifying thought.

Or at Texas. Imagine all though spread athletes rolling into Austin w Kelly gatdamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

ChinaBob posted:

Right, understood. But if you're going to have a "pipe dream" candidate at least make it something worth dreaming about and not Miles or Saban:

There is literally no reason to think Gruden would do well in CFB. The dude's offense is nearly Al Saunders complicated, and he's never shown himself to be a recruiter.

He would be a loving disaster in college.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Gruden would almost surely be a great recruiter if he wanted to put the work in. But all he cares about is sitting around and watching tape for 8 hours a day so...yeah he probably wouldn't do that. And yeah, his offense is not something that seems like it would work well in college.

Not that it matters because he's making so much money now to work one game a week and get to do stuff he really seems to enjoy, he's not leaving that job even if someone does want to try to outbid ESPN.

Yeah thats what I mean though. The guy is an X-and-O junky and is dyed-in-the-wool NFL. He has no college experience since 1990 and was a GA and a passing game coordinator.

I'm not sure why everyone is so sure he would be a phenomenal recruiter besides being telegenic and being young (which isn't as true anymore).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Real Name Grover posted:

Someone was floating him for the Fresno gig along with Tedford.

I think Fresno would be a good fit for him. He'd probably do well there.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

2008 Alabama lost to future-PAC-12 team Utah 31-17. Saban hadn't had quite enough time to create his juggernaut by that point.

Yeah, but see even though they hadn't yet won a title under Saban, the crushing disappointment of playing in the garbage Sugar Bowl was too much to bear. They were all thinking about their draft grading anyways.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Didn't Notre Dame give Weis a 10-year extension after losing to USC? We know how that worked out

Maybe ND incepted them as revenge for Ty Willingham.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Just more rumblings but who knows.

Lord knows LSU wouldn't let Charles Kelly come along

Outside of SEC 'mystique' and having a state entirely to yourself, I think FSU is a better job.

Easier access to playoffs, not sharing a division with the best college head coach of all time are pros. The programs themselves are about equal.

We'll be playing him either way, but I think he'd be dumb to leave Tally.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

LSU has a lot more money

So? I doubt they'd throw 8m at him. He's good but he isn't that loving good.

What's he making at FSU? What was Miles making?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Is he a Sexton client?

A) it would be insanely idiotic to leave just to finish second in your division every year.

B) if he's a sexton client I'd bet it's just a raise-flirtation.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

punched my v-card at camp posted:

The only argument I could see for Jimbo->LSU is that he thinks his ceiling there could be higher because of how much LSU owns the Louisiana talent pipeline. If he can keep a virtual lockdown on LA blue chippers and use his current connections to raid Florida, that's a potentially terrifying team.

Counterpoint: His ceiling at LSU is 2nd in the SEC West until Saban is cast back into the fires of Mt Doom from whence he came

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Spintzel posted:

Isn't Oregon floating around the idea of 10 mil to get a crazy good coach to come there?

That's the rumor, but while Jimbo has done well with FSU's advantages I couldn't really see him recruiting quite so well in the PNW. And for 10m they'd probably want an Urban/Saban kind of guy. Not even sure anyone else would be worth that much--or even close.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

No one else would be worth that much or even close, but it doesn't mean they wouldn't do it anyway for the next tier of guys which is where I'd put Jimbo.

Petersen seems like the best fairly established coach for Oregon to throw money at based on success and location, but if they're really actually thinking about throwing that much money around I bet they call everyone from Dabo to Stoops to feel them out.

Well it just makes me wonder like if you're in that tier and offered say 6m at Texas with more advantages and likelihood for success and 10m at Oregon with several recruiting, historical and geographic disadvantages, if you wouldn't take the path to likeliest success.

It just seems like a huge gamble if you're not going to get Urban or Saban. Those are your only two guys. Maybe Chip Kelly back from the league?

Its just a weird deal. I wouldn't leave for Oregon for 10m if I were Urban or Saban. That bit of money isn't worth the disadvantages inherent to the program, or the pressure to get Knight a title before he dies.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

kittenmittons posted:

Dabo trying to acclimate to life in Eugene would be a sight to behold.

Yeah his hokey youth-minister poo poo wouldn't play well on the west coast I don't think.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JonathonSpectre posted:

Personally I'd stay in Tallahassee but that's just me.

While I agree you, I also wish maximum pain on FSU and I think he's kind of a yokel dipshit. I'd love to see him in BR condemned to a Sisyphean engagement with Saban.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Scarf posted:

Jimbo to LSU, Herman to FSU. Callin it.

God I loving hope not.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Lasagna Pilot posted:

No that pansy Air Raid stuff is not good enough for Bama, Kliff is a better fit at a finesse program like UF IMO.

We just won the East, no way they fire Nuss (although they loving should)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

Nuss has Les Miles OC written all over him

God I loving hope so. That pitch on 3rd and goal from 2ft out was a goddamned travesty.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

PrinceRandom posted:

charlie strong is browsing monster.com right now.

Geoff Collins will prob get a DI job this year.

Come home Charlie. Come home to Gainesville.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

So would Herman even consider LSU or is he so Texas that a statue of DKR made of brisket, spurs and electric chairs would be jealous?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

No one with any brains wants to run into the Alabama wall outside of the title game

Probably a better starting cast than Texas tho

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I'm not sure actually. There's at least a promising QB at Texas. Charlie started recruiting well recently and they're super young

True. That RB (Freeman?) is terrifying. Is he a SR?

Buechele has been pretty good too if he hasn't been hosed by bad habits and lowered confidence.

They're both great jobs. LSU has a market cornered for freaks in La though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

can't believe people are praising jim harbaugh when brady hoke clearly did all the work

Clearly Ron Zook really won the 2006 national championship. We don't know if Urban can even recruit yet?!*

*this was an actual widespread opinion in 06--how naive we all were.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Glen Mason blew a like 90 point halftime lead against Texas Tech in a bowl game and went from "this guy is fine but feels like he may have plateaued" to "fire this fucker immediately" pretty much overnight. Which in hindsight turns out to have probably been a really bad idea for Minnesota.

Minnesota was really fun to watch back then. Great rushing attack.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

an adult beverage posted:

Jimbo is a good coach but I dunno that any program should shell out eight mil for him.

Not only does he not deserve that level of adulation from LSU, he would be dumb to make that move.

I hate FSU, but its a fine job with pretty fantastic history and recruiting advantages--and he isn't opposite the greatest coach in CFB history either.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

So Strong stays for another year right? Like, who else could they really get and it look like an upgrade?

Well Muschamp WAS coach in waiting so....

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Ole Miss isn't Alabama but they are historically a shitload better than they were when Ogeron was their. He did a really awful job. He was there for 3 years and couldn't win more than 4 games. And that was taking over a program that had been pretty solid for the last decade or so under Tubberville and especially Cutcliffe (whose firing is one of the dumber ones on recent memory). By winning percentage I'm pretty sure he's the worst coach they've ever had who got more than a year. I get that he talks funny and seems like a nice guy but he was an abject failure in his last stint as head coach and it was not Ole Miss' fault.

I'd agree he's probably earned a chance somewhere else, but doing well as an interim coach with a couple loaded teams doesn't prove he's going to do well as a full time head coach and a program LSU should be able to do a lot better than having to take that risk

I don't entirely disagree with you but he was coaching Ole Miss with LSU dominating the west, the resurgence of Bama and Auburn, and with a pretty good Arkansas program running.

I think Cutcliffe's success there (and his profoundly unfair firing) was an aberration. You had a generational QB (for OM) in Eli and the QB whisperer Cutcliffe. Tuberville has always been a pretty good coach and he did well there, but the program is historically mediocre.

Getting only 3 years at that kind of program is...well, pretty lovely.

MourningView posted:

Pretty much the only certain thing in this whole deal is Herman going somewhere else.

He's going to be terrifying if he goes to LSU.

I wonder if Texas has too many institutional problems to attract the modern, ultra control-freak coach.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Saban was in the NFL for most of his time there, Bama was definitely not "resurgent". It wasn't anything close to what the West is now. His last year he finished last in a division where Sylvester loving Croom finished 3rd.

3 years might have been quick if he'd shown even the slightest improvement but he hadn't and he was also literally the worst coach in the history of the program. No one is claiming that it's an amazing program but he was substantially below even mediocre. They were the worst team in the SEC or close to it.

LSU was rolling during his tenure. Bama was 10-2 in 05, had a down year in 06 and Saban was hired in 07. Houston Nutt was still doing well at Arky. The west was no pushover and Ole Miss is historically bad.

They're paying loving Freeze 4m$ to finish last in the west.

I guess my point is that a historically bad program only giving a coach 3 years to work is....well, maybe a bit myopic.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Chip Brown reporting Strong will be dismissed tomorrow.

Saban to UT? :allears:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I think we know a candidate who can Make Texas Great Again

He was, after all, former HCIW

He knows a killer OC too:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

:vince:

They did it, they actually did it.

Good for Dacoacho.

So, Herman at Texas I guess?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/802520556545384450

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I really really want Coach O to work out and think there's a chance if he can keep Aranda and get the right OC, but it does feel like settling. Were Jimbo and Herman really the only other guys they could think of? Ogeron wasn't going anywhere; you didn't need to rush the search. Hiring a guy who no other top tier school would even consider seems a little shortsighted, and in line with the SEC's super insular coaching hires of late.

What other LSU-caliber names were out there, just out of curiosity?

Make a run at Chip Kelly?

Fleck has done really well. I'm struggling to really come up with others. Craig Bohl? He doesn't have a long enough record of DI success.

Any super-hot coordinators?

I just think the coaching talent pool is pretty shallow this year, honestly. I agree that the hire does seem a bit underwhelming, but other coaches have been given second chances with less success.

Maybe they were emboldened by Helton's USC coming together.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Well that was fast.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Called it

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Lets just fire Mac, hire Holgo and Strong as co-head coaches and rule the universe forever

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Petrino to Oregon?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Oregon247 says Florida’s McElwain is a target for them to replace Helfrich

:shrug:

gently caress it, man

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Regnevelc posted:

'A Target' meaning someone they want, who will turn them down.

I can't decide if I'd be sad he left.

Not sure who we'd go after though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Morris or Fleck maybe? Bring Sprudog out of retirement for a year or so until a real good candidate pops up? Charlie Strong?

I don't know anything anymore. I feel like the coaching pool is weak. Strong? Morris would be in over his head I think. Throw cash at Holgo? His riverboat offense fits the bill.

I was so hopeful for Mac, and maybe he really is just a QB away from making it happen--but goddamn, that offense is a dog. Like a dog with fleas. And AIDS.

• Locked thread