Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Two Frankie Grande fans, just what everyone wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eltoasto posted:

I wonder if the coaches thing is their measure to prevent crazy racist houseguests, hoping a coach can settle people down.

I'm not sure that was really a huge issues outside BB15. I mean, yeah, every season has its insane people or assholes. Aubrey was a crazy person and Frankie was a major narcissist but nothing ever got as toxic or as serious as BB15. Aubrey created a couple of weeks of pure chaos and paranoia but once she was exposed it mostly calmed down outside the Vanessa bubble. BB obviously wants a certain level of paranoia and conflict.

But yeah, I've thought every since BB15 that returnees who understood the cameras and exposure were the most obvious way to control the more avoidable bad behavior of otherwise sane kids who just haven't broken out of the high school or small town mindsets. Those kids tend to flock around the dominant personalities and if you throw some coaches/vets in they immediately become the focus of the cast and can set the pace.

Teek posted:

Man, I thought Tiffany might be able to possibly avoid being identified as Vanessa's sister just from her looks, but she SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE HER.

Man, I thought Paulie might be able to possibly avoid being identified as Cody's brother just from his looks, but he SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE HIM.

Wow, yeah. I don't know what the hell that accent Vanessa has is but her sister has it too exactly the same. I went in thinking "Eh, I don't remember Vanessa's voice like Rachel's or anything, so she can probably hide it" but drat, no. That was distinctive.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I always love it when it's a really attractive woman and their job is "event coordinator."

Uh huh

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Bronte's voice makes me want to die.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eltoasto posted:

I always love it when it's a really attractive woman and their job is "event coordinator."

Uh huh

I was "buddies"* with an "event coordinator" once upon a time. Mostly "event coordinating" seemed to be calling up people to go to a bar and then getting really high and having sex with a questionably young girl**.

*By "buddies" I mean he sold drugs and ran book with friends of mine so he was always around even though he skeeved me out.
**Or guy, probably. He's the only person who ever made me feel like I might be getting sexually harassed.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Eltoasto posted:

Uh huh

I live in a legitimate political power city and even here "event coordinators" basically are in charge of getting people to show up and get drunk but not too drunk.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Wasn't the cute mom from a couple seasons ago an "event coordinator" and it turned out she was married to and divorced a really rich guy. I assumed it was a job for trophy wives to do party planning on the side. But yeah I could see both those alternatives too.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Teek posted:

The rumored lineup for coaches which appear to match the spoilers for this cast are James, Day, Nicole and Frank.

I believe that would be BB 17's James and Da'Vonnne, along with BB 16 Nicole and BB 14 Frank. I mean I like those returnees, but again, why bother with this half-measures all stars poo poo? If you're saving that until BB 20, why not do all newbies until then?

Why does BB hate us? Please let Frankie get the worst players who all get evicted one right after the other and then he goes.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Are people confusing Frank, musclebound son of a pro wrestler that Dan ran circles around, with Frankie, social media tycoon and definitely-not-coattail-rider? I don't particularly want either of them back, but Frank is infinitely preferable to Frankie.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

Are people confusing Frank, musclebound son of a pro wrestler that Dan ran circles around, with Frankie, social media tycoon and definitely-not-coattail-rider? I don't particularly want either of them back, but Frank is infinitely preferable to Frankie.

That seems to have happened a few times, including the poster above you. All the rumors point to Frank the tank coming back, not the insufferable frankie.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, Frank and Frankie are two different people, Frank being the better of those two.

Frank = BB 14
Frankie = BB 16

Frank is the rumored returning player.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Frank's a pretty weird bland pick for a coach, but the pickings are pretty slim from the last few seasons I suppose.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Bring Britney back every year.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

I don't think they can be called coaches at all if the Da'vonne rumor is true. She was second to be voted out. They can call it Second Chance but that might be too Survivor-y. They should just call them Producers' Favorites (Not Named Jesse). Of couse, watch them be branded as Fan Favorites just like Battle of the Block is considered a fan favorite.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, Da'Vonne being a "coach" is way more questionable than even the Audrey coach rumor was. So maybe they will just be second chances. If they're doing four though, I kind of wish they threw in a few more returnees? I'm liking the mega-size casts they've been doing lately, it helps stretch out the meat of the season closer to the endgame.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Teek posted:

Yeah, Da'Vonne being a "coach" is way more questionable than even the Audrey coach rumor was. So maybe they will just be second chances. If they're doing four though, I kind of wish they threw in a few more returnees? I'm liking the mega-size casts they've been doing lately, it helps stretch out the meat of the season closer to the endgame.

Last year's cast was 17 people counting the two twins, I'm pretty sure that's the most they've ever had. This is 16 with the four rumored people - maybe there's another returnee or two, maybe they'll do intruders (they'll probably never do intruders).

I'm really sick of the returning juror competition though, I'd rather just have a bigger cast. The houseguests always see it coming, it lowers the stakes of everything, and it's not even that dramatic.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah it has lost its flair. They really need to make the show crazier, but I feel like that will never happen. I hope the veto and voting rumors are true, but I am completely doubtful.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah it has lost its flair. They really need to make the show crazier, but I feel like that will never happen. I hope the veto and voting rumors are true, but I am completely doubtful.

Given the season they tired to make it crazier it turned super racist that will never happen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sbaldrick posted:

Given the season they tired to make it crazier it turned super racist that will never happen.

And they cast an actual crazy person (or two) last season and it just got a little scary.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That's just bad casting though. I am talking about game mechanics, like changing up vetoes and stuff. Battle of the Block was terrible, but I don't fault them for trying. I do fault them for bringing it back.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

STAC Goat posted:

And they cast an actual crazy person (or two) last season and it just got a little scary.

I forgot their legitimately crazy people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aubrey straight up disappeared from the house for a day presumably to get some kind of help and spent most of her time in a catatonic state in bed or just wandering around in some kind of episode. The rare moments of Aubrey just calming down and hanging out with people were few and far between. And every Vanessa HOH became days of her just huddled in her room spinning out of control in some kind of paranoid fit to the point where her friends and allies were scared to go into the HOH.

And then back in BB15 there was that whole "Amanda creates a fake identity and rants and raves at Elissa to the point where even her boyfriend just got the gently caress away from her" incident.

Hell, BB16 was basically the season of Derrick dad'ing all the drama away and even that season had Devin spending 3 days alone in the HOH eating his meals in the shower while crying.

I know BB wants to cast people who are going to behave in "crazy" ways when pushed but they may need to tweak their process a little.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
BB does take away their meds which might have something to do with it.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Eltoasto posted:

Bring Britney back every year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sbaldrick posted:

BB does take away their meds which might have something to do with it.

Obviously that does affect some of them, like BB15 Judd was a guy who took anti-anxiety pills and sometimes you could see the paranoia and stress clearly get to him and send him into a kind of panic and turn nasty. Then he'd go into the DR and come back like his old self.

I should say I don't actually think Devin and Vanessa are mentally ill or anything. Vanessa seemed to be very isolated and lonely, probably made worse by the fact that her circle of friends were two showmances and a pair of twin sisters so she was surrounded by people who had someone. And it seemed like that combined with the paranoia of not knowing who to trust and a kind of "analysis paralysis" just made her lose it as she had no one she trusted to comfort her or give her feedback.

And Devin just seemed to lose himself in the game, overplay and create a mess, and when it all came crashing down he had a hard time coping with the social aspect of it and that the whole house felt betrayed by him. And obviously there's been other examples of that happening in the past like BB11 Ronnie. Its easy to tell yourself you'll play a dirty game but obviously not everyone is emotionally prepared to be the bad guy if they get exposed.

Aubry and Amanda are probably a different story but I'm not going to try and diagnose them.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

STAC Goat posted:

Aubrey straight up disappeared from the house for a day presumably to get some kind of help and spent most of her time in a catatonic state in bed or just wandering around in some kind of episode. The rare moments of Aubrey just calming down and hanging out with people were few and far between. And every Vanessa HOH became days of her just huddled in her room spinning out of control in some kind of paranoid fit to the point where her friends and allies were scared to go into the HOH.

You keep making me imagine Survivor 32's Aubrey in last season's BB. (Same situation in the Survivor thread, but with Audrey, until you corrected yourself.) ;)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sorry. I'm terrible with names. And I do that inversion of similar names all the time. I'm sure I do it all over those ridiculous writeups I do and apologize repeatedly for it.

I still have trouble keep Cirie and Ciera straight in the Survivor threads and that's not even all that close at all.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 16, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Sorry. I'm terrible with names. And I do that inversion of similar names all the time. I'm sure I do it all over those ridiculous writeups I do and apologize repeatedly for it.

I still have trouble keep Cirie and Ciera straight in the Survivor threads and that's not even all that close at all.

With a dozen or more people per cast, per show (TAR. Survivor, BB) for over 16 years, the names are going to start to blur for most people at this point.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

This is pretty cool, the phone downstairs connects to another phone in the HOH room:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/news/1005318/house-tour/

Looks like they also smartly removed the sand from the bathroom.

Also no BOB competition this year, there's a new comp replacing it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/big-brother-18-house-tour-903441?utm_source=twitter

Comp will happen halfway through the Sunday episode, with a new ceremony at the end of the episode. Maybe some type of "save" protection if the veto winner renom thing is true?

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 16, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I look forward to the first case of HOHitis where the HOH calls down to summon people. Bonus points if he/she sends someone to the phone to do it for him/her.

Sadly that's probably happening right now without live feeds.

My prediction for things that might be changed before the show starts:

1) Having a phone booth connecting the two bedrooms seems problematic to me. I wouldn't be shocked if by the time feeds come on that thing is broken and the phone gimmick is done. I imagine they might have a twist in mind for it so maybe they'll move it but that just seems tough to keep in one piece and I imagine people who sleep in the UK room will get tired of that phone booth/doorway fast.

2) I noticed the photo booth is gone and it seems to have been replaced with a pair of "safari cameras" on tripods. I can't imagine those lasting, although it would be more interesting if they just have two cameras all the time that they can move around the house instead of the "photo time hour". But I can't imagine those cameras last a week.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 16, 2016

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

STAC Goat posted:

No don't apologize, I didn't mean it that way. It's just that the mental images it called up were funny to me, especially since I really do forget which show some people were on. It doesn't help that cast members occasionally cross over between BB and Survivor and Amazing Race. Your write-ups are usually accurate and help me make sense of them actually, even when I have to do a double take.

STAC Goat posted:

I look forward to the first case of HOHitis where the HOH calls down to summon people. Bonus points if he/she sends someone to the phone to do it for him/her.

Sadly that's probably happening right now without live feeds.

I miss the seasons when the cast seeing each other and entering the house for the first time was live, and the feeds started much earlier.

Edit: Actually I can't remember a specific season where it started live, so maybe it just happened sooner?

Fedelm fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 16, 2016

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Seeing the new house and hearing the news that BotB is dead made me moderately excited for the new season. gently caress that doorless HOH bathroom, though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

violetdragon posted:

Seeing the new house and hearing the news that BotB is dead made me moderately excited for the new season. gently caress that doorless HOH bathroom, though.

It will be interesting to see how this affects the "taking dumps upstairs" meta.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Every year before the new season I poke around SurvivorSucks and just gloss over all the random silliness and drama of the BB World over the past season. Just my ease in to gossipy trash and self loathing. Thankfully I was rewarded with the most wonderful news.

Brendan and Rachel had a child and they named her Adora Borealis. And with that I laughed to myself for like 10 minutes and reaffirmed my love for the sheer absurdity of Rachel Reilly.

Big Brother 18, here I come.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Brendan is the worst but Rachel owns so hard

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

JakeP posted:

I'm in the middle of rewatching BB12 right now... Rachel is best when used as a horrible punishment released upon the house.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Eltoasto posted:

It will be interesting to see how this affects the "taking dumps upstairs" meta.

I would really hope the toilet area has at least a stall type door. I guess HGs could lock people out of the HOH if they wanna take a bath.

STAC Goat posted:

Brendan and Rachel had a child and they named her Adora Borealis. And with that I laughed to myself for like 10 minutes and reaffirmed my love for the sheer absurdity of Rachel Reilly.

Big Brother 18, here I come.

:roflolmao:

I love it. That's so Rachel~!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I wonder if they purposely named her after She-Ra.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JakeP posted:

This is a very incorrect opinion.

STAC Goat posted:

Brendan and Rachel had a child and they named her Adora Borealis.

This, however, is hilarious.

Never change, reality competition television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

That name is amazing.

• Locked thread