Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Nope they aren't working or nope no one left has a feeds sub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JakeP posted:

Amanda Kimmel could have beat dan at that final 2

lol

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It gave me a page unresponsive error, but is loading so slow now. The some of the page has loaded but no video is working for me. I'm on Chrome.

Edit: It loaded and works for me now.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 10, 2016

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

ToastyPotato posted:

It gave me a page unresponsive error, but is loading so slow now. The some of the page has loaded but no video is working for me. I'm on Chrome.

Edit: It loaded and works for me now.

I still can't get it to work. I found a :filez: version for now. I'm pretty cranky at CBS right now.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its working fine for me im on firefox.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
If Natalie was really wanting to use a showmance for protection and she thought James was the guy who could keep her safe she made a terrible decision and deserves to be gone.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Well now I want James to win, because all these people are dummies and his win would be perfectly symbolic of this season of personality-challenged, brain-dead yahoos.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I want the First Time on Big Brother version of James to win, not this new guy

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Smeep posted:

Well now I want James to win, because all these people are dummies and his win would be perfectly symbolic of this season of personality-challenged, brain-dead yahoos.

Corey would be the ultimate Bad Winner. I would be so icked out if he won. I'd claim I'd stop watching, but why bother lying?

James hosed up a bunch, so he is also bad.

I want Paul or Vic to win. Paul had a good game this season, and I just like Victor now as a person. [shrug]

If Nicole owned her game, and had "I'm doing this on purpose and know exactly what my plan is" DRs, she'd be a good winner. Instead, she comes off as mostly a ditz that spent the whole summer in bed (literally) with Corey. She could redeem herself as a decent/good player if she evicts Corey and gives a good speech.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not to get all "conspiracy" - and I hope it was just the edit - but during the MacGyver challenge, did it seem like Corey just went right to the solution the second he got in the door? I mean he just blew through that poo poo. I'm sure it's just me incorrectly tying his aloofness to his problem solving skills. Also this season is boring.

edit: If Corey/Nicole win I'd be super disappointed. I'm down with Paul - Vic - James in that order (and James is a dissssstant third - I feel like this season kind of revealed him as a lazy lovely player).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There is no way it can be proven either way so there isn't much point thinking about it. You aren't the only person who noticed that though.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

BonoMan posted:

Not to get all "conspiracy" - and I hope it was just the edit - but during the MacGyver challenge, did it seem like Corey just went right to the solution the second he got in the door? I mean he just blew through that poo poo. I'm sure it's just me incorrectly tying his aloofness to his problem solving skills. Also this season is boring.

edit: If Corey/Nicole win I'd be super disappointed. I'm down with Paul - Vic - James in that order (and James is a dissssstant third - I feel like this season kind of revealed him as a lazy lovely player).

Yeah, a bunch of people noticed this, and Nicole said on the feeds "I didn't know it (the boat key) floated until they told me," seemingly about Production. Maybe it was after the fact? They clearly were not hearing the same audio we were in those ear pieces. Corey went for those wiffle ball things in the last room before we heard him get told what to do, but it probably was the editing?

There has been speculation about interference from Production for years.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Isn't that BB's thing?

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Nicole won power of veto. Comic book competition.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

RIP Victor? RIP this season. OH well.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
If Paul wins the season could still have a good winner at least

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
[Nicole and Corey in bed]
Corey: How sure are we that we want to go final 3 with James? What if we make a deal...
[they go to put on their mics, feeds immediately go to fish]

[I'M SCREAMING]

Edit: When it finally came back, from the best I can tell, Corey was talking about trying to get him and Nicole to final 2 together by making a deal with Paul that if Paul got HOH, he'd put Corey and James up instead of him and Nicole, so they'd have a chance to both be safe or something. Nicole told him that was dumb, and he could go make a deal with Paul if he wanted, but she wasn't interested in making anymore deals this late. A lot of the conversation was obscured by fish.

violetdragon fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 11, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

violetdragon posted:

Yeah, a bunch of people noticed this, and Nicole said on the feeds "I didn't know it (the boat key) floated until they told me," seemingly about Production. Maybe it was after the fact? They clearly were not hearing the same audio we were in those ear pieces. Corey went for those wiffle ball things in the last room before we heard him get told what to do, but it probably was the editing?

There has been speculation about interference from Production for years.

Slipping the audio in the timeline when editing the shots is one thing and doesn't bother me - but seeing him physically open the door and go right for the poles with shapes on the end seemed odd. In my head I just assumed that they probably reshot that sequence after he had already done it because of a technical difficulty or something.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Slipping the audio in the timeline when editing the shots is one thing and doesn't bother me - but seeing him physically open the door and go right for the poles with shapes on the end seemed odd. In my head I just assumed that they probably reshot that sequence after he had already done it because of a technical difficulty or something.

yeah it could be a million different things. I do wonder if BB is bound by the same strict rules that apply to traditional game shows.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Smeep posted:

yeah it could be a million different things. I do wonder if BB is bound by the same strict rules that apply to traditional game shows.

They 100% are.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

JOHN CENA posted:

They 100% are.

I thought there was actually court precedent that states that they are not?

edit: huh, quick search can't find anything; could've sworn there was some judgement that said the show was considered "scripted entertainment" and not subject to the same rules as gameshows.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

MisterZimbu posted:

I thought there was actually court precedent that states that they are not?

edit: huh, quick search can't find anything; could've sworn there was some judgement that said the show was considered "scripted entertainment" and not subject to the same rules as gameshows.

Here's an old reddit thread I found that quotes the (supposed) FCC statement that you are probably thinking of:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BigBrother/comments/2d3xoh/lets_clear_up_some_things_about_production/

The relevant part is

quote:

Since the show 'Big Brother' is conducted by a network programmer (vs. an FCC-licensed station) and does not offer a prize to members of the public, it is not regulated by the FCC. A "game show" in which 'selected contestants' (vs. 'members of the public') participate is governed by Section 509 of Title 47 of the United States Code (USC), and regulated by the Department of Justice. However 'Big Brother' does not appear to meet the definition of a "game show." Rather, it is a 'for entertainment only' program, somewhat similar to professional wrestling in that it is a pseudo-contest in which the outcome is fully, or in some measure, predetermined.

If you read some of the replies in the thread or do some more googling, it seems like this statement might be fake, but it's not clear. Jeff Probst also posted some behind-the-scenes pictures from Survivor 31 last year that showed CBS lawyers on locations watching Jeff explain a particular challenge and making sure that every player got the same information, which was interesting.

Still, I don't think these shows are as regulated as a lot of people believe, possibly because of language in contracts giving producers more wiggle room than on the usual game show. Rules and twists are definitely changed mid-season (for example, the dropped BB Takeover last season, which Julie said in an interview was dropped much earlier than originally planned), which already gives the producers a lot of power in affecting the outcome.

Obviously that's a different scenario from what was discussed earlier (Corey potentially having inside info on the Veto comp), and one would think the producers would have preferred Natalie winning that veto than Corey anyway. I think if there was some sort of funny business, it's more likely that Corey accidentally overheard something before the comp that led him to using the pipes and the water.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Smeep posted:

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/lawyers_of_reality_tv

2014 article, but skip down to Leveling the Playing Field for relevant stuff.

Of note, I didn't know Survivor was sued and settled out of court for producer interference in 2001.

An alleged BB contract:

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/215071-big-brother-applicant-agreement.html

There is a section there that basically says the producers can change the rules however they want (comp rules, evictions, prizes, code of conduct), whenever they want, without the HG's consent, but that isn't the same thing as saying they get to pick winners legally.

Additionally, the article mentions that lawyers are present to ensure the competitions are fair, but doesn't mention whether lawyers review or are present for player interviews as well.

There is also this quote:

quote:

Kimberlianne Podlas, an attorney and professor of media law and pop culture at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, says the quiz show statute likely doesn’t apply to most modern reality shows. “We’re not back in that quiz show era,” she says. “There are so many no-skill, nonintellectual components that a lot of the competition shows don’t fit into the quiz show statutes anymore.”

Either way, producers and networks aren’t taking a chance. Oftentimes, to doubly ensure there is no question of fairness, producers will hire a “compliance expert” to work on the set. This person can be a lawyer, but often is not.

Also, using some basic awareness of the world we live in, let's not pretend that everyone working in multimillion/billion dollar industries is a saint who would never dream to bend the rules or do something unethical.

That said, no one has blown the whistle at BB yet, so everything is just speculation.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Earlier today, James, Nicole, and Corey again mentioned what sounded like an agreement for whoever wins of that group to share money. James was like "y'all are gonna still keep our deal if one of you win?" and Corey and Nicole were like "yeah, of course," and James talked about sending them his address. He quickly added a "just kidding," but that convo didn't really sound like a joke and Nicole and James got in trouble with Production earlier in the season for having a more explicit conversation about the exact same thing. They were talking about giving 10k and/or a trip to the losers amongst a James, Nicole, Corey, Natalie final four. Production made Nicole and James say out loud that they wouldn't buy each other any gifts. Nicole said it in front of everyone and it caused a bit of a hubbub amongst the other HGs.

Nicole has also referred to her worrying about making a final 3 with James (they aired that on the show tonight) as "giving them footage." That could have just been a bit of a joke, because everyone who watches BB and live feeds knows CBS often edits things to look more tense or close than they actually are to make the episodes more exciting to watch but ehh...

There's been several "fishy" things this season that alone seem like nothing but together it makes you wonder.

That whole James/Nicole preseason alliance thing looks more and more plausible.

Edit: Here's a clip from the conversation earlier today: https://streamable.com/5f4a
I'm bad at recording streaming video./The program I'm using sucks.

violetdragon fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 12, 2016

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Rumor has it that Paul won the final 4 HOH.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
That would be great! How does anyone know though?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
They taped tonight's eviction episode yesterday evening. Someone leaked the HOH comp results.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Oh, so Victor's (finally, hopefully for real) gone then?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yes, it appears so. Hopefully Paul put Nicole and Corey on the block, just to finally get Nicole some nominee seat time.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Now I really, really want James to win. Admittedly Paul has played the best game but gently caress that guy. Burn this whole season to the ground.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'd rather Paul win than James because James played loving terribly and rewarding that kind of gameplay (or lack there of) spells doom for this show. Paul is far from perfect, but he at least played Big Brother.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I would rather, at this point, to have everyone else win over James.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

He'd basically be like Sandra from Survivor, who never played at all but won twice due to basically being in the right place at the right time and at various points being the least-hated contestant.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Smeep posted:

Oh, so Victor's (finally, hopefully for real) gone then?

You monster

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Victor will never be gone from our hearts.

There's a big push for him to get AFP, now.

In a perfect world, James wouldn't win anything, but I think Paul's best chance of winning might be with James, so bleh.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Eltoasto's preferred ranking of who should win, all other opinions are incorrect:

Paul
The Ants
James
Corey
Nicole

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

Eltoasto's preferred ranking of who should win, all other opinions are incorrect:

Paul
The Ants
James
Corey
Nicole

I am ok with this list.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm just happy Victor got to re-enter the game several times after the poo poo he was spewing about Returnees

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Paul most deserves it and of the other three James seems like the least lovely human so I want one of those two.

Really, if either Corey or Nicole win, they'll be trumping this showmance revisionist domination bullshit I have no interest in hearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Professor Shark posted:

I'm just happy Victor got to re-enter the game several times after the poo poo he was spewing about Returnees

If I was on the jury and he was F2, there's no way I could vote for him to win. Dude had THREE chances, and everyone else only had one. If you have three chances you better drat well get that far.

• Locked thread