Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Any suggestions for a lightweight, waterproof first aid kit for hiking? There are like a thousand on amazon and I want to know if there's anything I should keep in mind before getting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Ultralight-Watertight/dp/B0009RIQBE

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.

Seconded.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
You should probably take an FN-FiveseveN and two extra magazines with you. The woods can be a dangerous place. You know along with the first aid kit.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

There's a bunch of first aid kit item recommendation here in the backpacking thread. A ziploc brand is waterproof enough for my uses, plus you can use it to seal a sucking chest wound in a pinch :v:

My personal list is 6 nonstick gauze (2 large 2 small 2 sticky), butterfly strips, a few bandaids, sting relief, disinfectant swabs, q-tips, polysporin, a couple unlubed condms, tape, pills (ibroprofin, antihistamine, immodium), tweezers and haemostatic gauze. About four-and-some ounces all-in. I have a tourniquet that I usually don't carry as well.

But since this is RSF,

Three-Phase posted:

You should probably take an FN-FiveseveN and two extra magazines with you

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ultra light first aid kit: a roll of athletic tape.

Inamorata Issabelle
Jul 8, 2007
I have a question about safety gear that;s not specifically first aide related. I'm doing a 7 day backpacking trip in Scotland and I want to use my mobile as my camera and also have it charged in case of emergency. Does anyone have a recommendation for a solar or hand crank charger?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
For 7 days you can probably put it in airplane mode and make sure there aren't any battery sucking apps open, and then just carry one of those small USB chargers. Charge it up before you go, make sure you take a cable to connect it to your phone, and charge up the phone when needed. Usually more than enough for a week trip with an iphone

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Inamorata Issabelle posted:

I have a question about safety gear that;s not specifically first aide related. I'm doing a 7 day backpacking trip in Scotland and I want to use my mobile as my camera and also have it charged in case of emergency. Does anyone have a recommendation for a solar or hand crank charger?

I know scotland is pretty densely populated with people and cell towers, but is it really a reliable method for signalling an emergency?

Have you considered a spot 3, or a delorme inreach? Lots of outdoor places will rent them out for a nominal fee.

Perhaps a uk goon can advise.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Epitope posted:

Ultra light first aid kit: a roll of athletic tape.

Pretty much this.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Go to a vet and get "vet wrap" . Great stuff and the vet version comes in fun colors. Same stuff as the human version but significantly cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Adventure Medical does a fast and light kit that I was very happy with for years.

I just bought WMI's expedition kit because I'm a glutton for punishment, and like having extra space to add my own equipment.

Don't worry about the kit being waterproof, just put it in a lightweight drybag.

Consider getting an actual factual cpr mask and using that and its case for BSI and emergency bleeding control. Keep it easily accessible.

• Locked thread