Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I am running into problems trying to install Linux on my new computer build.

Motherboard/CPU: ASRock N3700-ITX
Case: Fractal Design Node 304
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX ST30SF 300W
Hard Drive: Samsung EVO 850 120 GB
Monitor: old Samsung connected through HDMI or DVI
Keyboard: Dell USB keyboard

I plug in all of the components, etc, etc, and the computer is able to boot into the UEFI. However, when I try installing Linux from two different USB sticks, the install crashes pretty quickly into the installation. I have tried two Linux distributions, Debian with non-free firmware added onto the install image and Ubuntu Server and both crash pretty quickly into the install. However, I am able to boot MemTest86 from a USB stick, and my system runs multiple passes of MemTest86 for 12 hours just fine with no errors.

I have Googled what people say about this motherboard and there's not a lot out there since it is kind of a newer, niche motherboard/CPU, I think. A lot of people have complained about the USB drivers on this board. One person in a review has said that he needed to boot from a CD and use a PS2 keyboard to be able to install his operating system and believed that he had to avoid USB entirely. I am willing to try that, but I'll need to buy a PS2 keyboard and blank CD-Rs.

What is the issue with this system? I am hesitant to blame the memory or the power supply, since MemTest86 ran just fine. The only things that I can think of that are causing the issue are that either some of the external devices on the motherboard are bad, or this is some weird driver issue. Other people have reported being able to install Linux on this motherboard/CPU system, though.

If I try using a PS2 keyboard and booting from CD and the Linux install still does not work, would that be enough to conclude that I have bad hardware? Which component should I RMA first? The motherboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug
Nothing in the hardware looks like it should cause a problem, is anything printed to the screen when it crashes?

You could make sure you have the hard drive plugged into the Intel SATA ports, although the others ones use an Asmedia chipset which tends to work fairly well in Linux. Although, on your computer, using the Asmedia chipset will hobble the speed of the SSD somewhat, as one lane of PCIe 2.0 only comes to 5 Gbps, wheras SATA 3 is supposed to get to 6 Gbps, in my experience, this cuts about 100MBps off the read speed of the SSD and slightly increases the latency.

If you are running an old enough kernel, there is the potential for issues with queued Trim on the SSD as many Samsung drives claim to support that, but don't. Older versions of Linux took them on their word that they did support it.

If you have been plugging the drive into USB 3 ports have you tried the USB 2 ones? There can be issues with some USB 3 controllers in Linux, although in my experience those issues are generally with webcameras and are fairly innocuous.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Macropiper posted:

Nothing in the hardware looks like it should cause a problem, is anything printed to the screen when it crashes?

You could make sure you have the hard drive plugged into the Intel SATA ports, although the others ones use an Asmedia chipset which tends to work fairly well in Linux. Although, on your computer, using the Asmedia chipset will hobble the speed of the SSD somewhat, as one lane of PCIe 2.0 only comes to 5 Gbps, wheras SATA 3 is supposed to get to 6 Gbps, in my experience, this cuts about 100MBps off the read speed of the SSD and slightly increases the latency.

If you are running an old enough kernel, there is the potential for issues with queued Trim on the SSD as many Samsung drives claim to support that, but don't. Older versions of Linux took them on their word that they did support it.

If you have been plugging the drive into USB 3 ports have you tried the USB 2 ones? There can be issues with some USB 3 controllers in Linux, although in my experience those issues are generally with webcameras and are fairly innocuous.

Thank you for your response.

Nothing gets printed to the screen during the installer crash--the computer just halts and reboots, going back to the BIOS splash screen.

I'm plugging the hard drive into a Intel SATA port (with the _1 postfix and not _A1 postfix on the motherboard labels). That's good to know regarding the speeds of the different SATA ports.

I was able to get an install to work by installing from CD and not configuring the network connection during the install, but resulting Linux system didn't really recognize a lot of the hardware and would require multiple power cycles to boot into the system.

I later looked into Intel's Linux driver support for the Pentium N3700's graphics capability, and found that it is non-existant. I probably should have done this check earlier before buying the hardware . . . I am interested in having this capability for streaming.

Anyways I've decided to give up on Linux and just run Windows 10 since ostensibly the Intel graphics capability is supported on Windows. I'm actually running into issues with the Windows 10 install as well. When trying to install from a USB stick, the install goes smoothly, and the computer gets to a stage where it is supposed to reboot. When the computer reboots, though, I get a blue screen, and an error: 0xc0000001.

I'm going to try buying some DVD-Rs and a PS2 keyboard and trying the Windows 10 install with that hardware and see if that works to make sure that it isn't a USB issue. Many people have reported that Win7 (10 is supposed to work, though) installs require booting from DVD and PS2 keyboards due to driver issues.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 30, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
For those of you who have been watching this thread with bated breath, the Windows 10 install did not work from DVD and with PS/2 keyboard. I think that there must have been a hardware or driver issue with this motherboard. The system would also pass POST and go into the BIOS and report all of the hardware appropriately, but sometimes the board would halt and freeze in BIOS. I guess that should have been my clue to stop tinkering and RMA the board. I'm not sure if I received a bad board or if it just wasn't a very well thought out product.

I RMA-ed the board and replaced it with the older and maybe more popular and better supported ASRock Q1900-ITX, and the Windows 10 install and Linux install into a Hyper-V virtual machine went smoothly.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 5, 2016

• Locked thread