Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
strawberries are good

they are very sweet when ripe instead of the sour storebought ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Grandmother of Five posted:

make a herb garden, it has the advantages of all other gardens in one; smells nice, used in cooking, people doesn't steal from it like they steal your fruit and vegetables because goddambnd kids doesn't know right from wrong and they don't realize how good parsley and w/e is on an omelette so they don't take it. herbs look like weeds to thieving kids because they're basically retarded

Grow rapunzel in your yard, because if any thieving kids steal it, you get to have their firstborn.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Bodies

Chelb

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
if you're getting temperatures consistently at 90+ degrees F in the afternoon you might want to consider getting some of the more heat resistant tomato varieties. some of these are:

-florida 91 (determinate) (can fruit up to 98 degrees!)
-san marzano (indeterminate) (all the fancy italian chefs use this)
-heatmaster (determinate)

there are two growth types when it comes to tomatoes: determinate and indeterminate. determinate tomatoes will get around 5 feet tall, produce a bunch all at once, and stop. Indeterminate tomatoes will grow and grow and grow until they creep through your windows and strangle you while you sleep. plan accordingly

i suggest getting the sturdiest tomato cages you can find. bigger ones for indeterminates. some people like to tie the branches on stakes or build trellises, but that's too much work imo.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 30, 2016

courtesy of rushi

Chelb

other things:

-peppers

-green beans (i like Kentucky Wonder). you need a trellis though!

-okra, if you like okra. if you do get Clemson Spineless

-herbs. basil, mint, rosemary, etc.

if you want to plant in the long term, blackberries can do pretty well. Ouachita blackberries are thornless, and upright enough to not need trellising!

some blueberry varieties, like Sunshine Blue and Sharpblue, can also do very well even in the deep south of texas, where I live.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 30, 2016

Chelb

strawberries might not grow in such heat. def. not right away. if you do get strawberries get the Chandler variety, they can handle hot weather a little better.

by the time cooler temps come around though, strawberries will do aces.

Cinderful

I say buy some hens and chicks, aka sempervivums, little cluster succulents that basically live forever! You can use other succulents to wall them in.

Also, philodendrons if you want a creeping wall of vines!

Alternatively, go with the herb garden. Nothing like a mint julep with fresh garden mint. Consider it an investment for when you BYOB, you B quality.

Strawberry Jam
I'd love a succulent garden but I think our weather is too 'normal' where I live to grow them

im still digging up roots maybe I'll just grow a root garden :crow:

----------------

yoober

root vegetables are the poo poo
cylindrical beets check that poo poo out they're so easy to cut and the tops are good eats
carrots: do you even know how good they are when you roast them? with beets? if you get too many you can juice em and make some really potent booze and cook with the leftover pulp
scallions hell yes
you can plant radishes and parsnips on top of each other and harvest the radishes before they start a beef with the parsnips. look for the cool long asian radishes maybe?
plant some horseradish but in a pot because you're down with ~Flavour Country~
I've never grown garlic because its an overwinter thing but you should!

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i was raised on garden cayennes
its what gives my posting that special something

Cinderful

Strawberry Jam posted:

I'd love a succulent garden but I think our weather is too 'normal' where I live to grow them

im still digging up roots maybe I'll just grow a root garden :crow:

I live in Oregon, closer to Washington and they grow just fine. The parts that die sprout anew every spring :O

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Plant things that (1) taste better if you get them fresh and (2) are expensive at the supermarket.

Tomatoes you grow yourself taste 10X better than the waxy red globes you get at the store. Basil saves you mad benjamins that you can wave at the grocery store in a chill and good way as you drive by, smiling that you are not being ripped off by Big Basil. Plus, when you have bags full of basil, you can chop up the leaves and put them in an ice cube tray with a little water, pop those suckers out, and throw them in a big baggie you keep in your freezer. Want fresh tasting basil in December? Use one of those!

Jenner
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Grow some mushrooms!

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
grow something obscure like african horned cucumber, and ur neighbours will be all like "whaaaat?!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Strawberry Jam
i Put in basil tomatillas lettuce snap dragons marigolds an two different fuzzy purple flowers that start w/a C

----------------

ghost emoji

oooOooOOOooh

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this post and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the intended recipient of this post, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the post and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this post or any attachments by an individual or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

FluffieDuckie

Can we please have garden pictures?

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

Can we please have garden pictures?

Plants are very shy.

Cinderful

Strawberry Jam posted:

i Put in basil tomatillas lettuce snap dragons marigolds an two different fuzzy purple flowers that start w/a C

Chrysanthemum and Crochus?

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Cinderful posted:

she dont lie
she dont lie
she dont lie

crocus /jams on guitar way worse than when i used to shoot dope

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
plant a seed of hope and watch peace grow, op

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Strawberry Jam

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Jam

Cinderful posted:

Celosias I guess same plant but one is tall and one is squat

----------------

• Locked thread