Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Like many I dabbled in poker 10-12 years ago. I think it was reading 2+2 that put me off it for good though. Reading accounts of people much better than I was at the time talk about their online BB/hour rates while grinding out 6-8 1/2 or 3/6 tables at Party or Stars made me realize that it was way too much like work to be any fun and that the real expected payout for maybe 90% of them wasn't any better than having a only half decent profession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

twodot posted:

You can definitely run a free poker tournament, and you're still playing poker and winning it will require much or all of the same skill as a tournament you paid to get into (presuming participants actually want to win, games where the people playing aren't actually trying to win aren't typically fun, but that's not unique to poker).

Lol. No. 90% of the field will immediately go all in on the first hand*. 90% of everyone left after the first hand goes all in on the second hand with the winnings from the first hand. This continues until 2 people are left and they do heads up by going all in until one pushes the other out.

*Note that the people who didn't go all in aren't playing either, they've just left the table after looking at their hole cards.

e: Every now and then there is a nit who thinks they'll just wait out the carnage and jump in with their mad skillz and clean up. No, by the time the field has thinned out they are so far behind on chips they just get put all in every time they bet until the odds take over and they too are cleaned out.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 18, 2016

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jeza posted:

When I was bored and at uni I used to play a bunch of that play money poker on Pokerstars. I found that on the giant freeroll tournaments lots of did go all in like Murgos said, although it was never really 90%. Usually 2-3 people on the first hand and a few after that.

Yeah, sorry, 90% was me being dramatic. It doesn't matter though if you can count on even 1 person (much less 2 or 3) going all in on any two cards then your only recourse is also to go all in or fold away your stack. So, it becomes a game of going all in on coin flips until you get enough coin flips your way to build a big enough stack to get to heads up. At that point the heads up can be pretty fun, but not really because there is no risk. You just hop into the next free tourney starting in .01 seconds regardless of if you win or lose.

• Locked thread