Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I remember watching live a goon come runner up at the 2013 ME, that was really cool. Although it was a painful heads up purely because he just got dealt pretty much total garbage while his smug opponent just got insanely lucky over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Imaduck posted:

For almost every player, part of the reason you enjoy Poker is you enjoy the gambling aspect of it, at least a little bit.

I remember seeing a short documentary about Phil Ivey and that guy was just really a gambling addict. He bet money on everything, just didn't give a poo poo. It was only exciting for him with money on the line, and he'd bet on anything.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

twodot posted:

I mean, I've played no stakes poker games that didn't play this way. Why would anyone show up to coin flip for no prize? That seems very tedious.

When I was bored and at uni I used to play a bunch of that play money poker on Pokerstars. I found that on the giant freeroll tournaments lots of did go all in like Murgos said, although it was never really 90%. Usually 2-3 people on the first hand and a few after that.

Overall people were pretty trigger happy on low stakes "play" money, usually because it gets handed out for free. But at the higher stakes that you either paid for or earned up to, people were only a little bit looser than playing with real money. But it was still noticeable.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

The big freerolls did offer little cash payouts though, right? That at least makes the final table into real poker.

The real risk was dying of old age beforehand.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I guess these learning bots will just kill online poker forever in the not too distant future. I can't say I'm particularly cut up about it though. There's something kinda...depressing about the entire online poker thing. People grinding away for hours every day just going through the motions. Seems like pretty soul sapping stuff. And all the talented comp sci grad robots that come out the other end. Sometimes you see a few of them at a final table with a few chatty older players and they just sit there like unresponsive zombies, avoiding eye contact or any interaction.

For me half the charm of poker is the human side to it. Table chat, reading other people, nerves and bluffs. Reducing the game down to calculated odds and applying them just makes it pretty insipid. The fact that it can be solved is no surprise.

• Locked thread