Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
When I was involved in online poker, over 10 years ago, there were people who would play at many tables at once. Like 8 or 12 or even more hands at the same time. Are people still doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jmcrofts posted:

I suck a lot at poker. I'm probably never going to play online or in a "real" game, but I play against my friends from time to time and just do terribly.

When I've tried to learn the basics, it seems like guides are written under the assumption that your opponents will play "correctly" (folding when they don't have a hand, betting based on their table position, etc) but my friends are a little more YOLO than that.

When playing with people who play every single hand and raise and fold seemingly randomly based on feeling, do the same strategies apply or is there a way I should be playing to take advantage of their recklessness?

Your opponents' bad play is good, if you want to make money. You want them playing incorrectly.

Yes, many poker guides are written with the idea that your opponents are decent players, and the point is to try to figure out what their cards might be based on how they are playing. You can't do this if they completely suck and just play every hand and raise or fold or whatever seemingly at random. So you aren't going to be trying to put them on a hand, they don't even know what they have so you certainly can't figure it out.

Instead, you mostly play your own cards. Got bad cards? Fold. Got good cards? Raise. Have a chance at a flush or a straight? Check and call if the pot odds allow it.

You will mostly be folding or raising. This way, when you see the flop, you'll have QQ and they'll have J4, and the odds of you having the best hand will be better than everyone else's. When you completely miss the flop, fold. If you have a good hand after the flop, raise. The idea is that you won't lose much on your losing hands, since you'll be folding so much preflop and when you've missed the flop. On your winning hands you should win a lot, since you've raised all over the place.

Meanwhile, your opponents will be pouring money onto the pot when they have no chance of winning, and every so often they get lucky and their 7-4 turns into a full house, but so what?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

This isn't a barebones setup but it's not too in-depth either. It's almost entirely focused on preflop and flop play, I tried to play the turn and the river more by hand reading than stats at that time but the world of postflop stats is very well developed these days and I'm sure top players make a lot of decisions based on stats. There's an idea called "balancing your range" that becomes more and more important as you move up and leads naturally to a more statistically driven game.

Also check out that vintage GBS 1.0 posting stylez!!!11

When I used to play online on PartyPoker, 12 or 13 years ago, I played at 6 max tables with an average VPIP of 40+%. They weren't all that loose, but you could watch tables and just play at the ones which were. I'm guessing you don't see that any more, even at low stakes.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tab8715 posted:

How do I play against donks or players that'll endlessly call? Do I just play my connectors / suited cards harder?

When you have a good hand, you raise. When you have a bad hand, you fold. People who call anything are so easy to take money from that what you do in the occasional marginal situation is not all that important.

• Locked thread