Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Imaduck posted:

The most common bluffs - semi-bluffs - usually have some outs to improve as well; meaning even if your opponent decides to call your bluff, you still have a chance of making a better hand than them. The "I'm just going to pretend my cards are good and push you out of the pot with lots of chips" type of bluff is relatively rare in Poker, and really requires you understanding your opponents and when they're going to fold. Blindly shoving your chips in the pot to boss people around is a nice way to lose money really quick at the Poker table.

I find being really irritating as a good way to bluff. Like mentioning to people at the table when you catch yourself in a tell. Like "Hey, I just noticed that I fan my cards differently when I have a so-so hand." Talk tons of poo poo all the time. My brother in law likes to call out the cards that are in play in community games to make it seem like he can truly count cards. He can't, but it puts people on edge. I like to call out things like "third card down is the 3 of clubs" because I'll see them as I shuffle. I then have someone else cut the cards and even ask that they re shuffle if they're concerned. I never, ever, cheat. I just want them to concentrate on making sure I don't cheat instead of thinking about the game. Make it seem like I'm magically controlling the deck.

Then you can bluff because they're so frustrated that they've turned into Helmuth and aren't paying attention any more. Just yelling and rambling on about bad beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Genuine question:

Why does everyone like Texas Hold'em? When I was young, it was always 5 card draw. When I play with my brothers-in-law, we always call a different game each time. Sometimes it's 5 card draw no wilds, sometimes it's Chicago High, sometimes it's Follow The Bitch, sometimes 7 card stud with 4's and whores wild, etc. The rules are called per hand based on whomever is the dealer with the exception of house rules. Keeps you on your toes and creates big winners and big losers. You have to stay on your game and you fold all the time. It's all about bluffing and playing the person, not the odds.

With the big games on TV and such, it's all Hold'em. I don't understand.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

Sid Meyer said what makes a good game is a lot of interesting decisions...

That makes total sense. I finally understand why it's popular. 5 card draw or Omaha would be a terrible spectator sport.

• Locked thread