Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Great card for us there's so much of his range that that gives false hope to. Getting a little wet for trying "oh I hate that I'm gonna check to you" and getting one more half pot bluff of value from him, especially given they're playing it exactly like a draw rn. I think we just push.

I doubt there's much EV difference between pushing now (to kill draws and get max value from QX sometimes) vs softer lines in hopes of letting them hang on a Q or possibly getting there with hearts/JT etc due to the relative likelihoods of those holdings. It's bad policy to get as invested as we are now and then to start looking for exits all the time too and I don't think this is an extraordinary circumstance. Maybe it's worth considering your table image here to pick between them but I think lots of people could see a turn shove as a bad barrel in this hand and limp/bet/bet shouldn't be so scary that we never get paid especially given stuff like QT/JT is all over their range.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure calling looks even stronger than pushing there no matter how bad the players are and there are more cards that kill your action if you're playing the world's most timid table than get you paid anyway. You'd push with two pair here probably right? So push with the straight.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's not PLO KT is a small small part of what he donks. No worries.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I thought you meant rainbow. I would probably fold a straight with that many people in to whoever bets. Maybe that's a little to kinda bad though.

I play a lot of PLO so I get muddled about things like that in HE. I folded JT on a JJ2 flop maybe a month ago because there was 4 way interest including from someone else with ~300BB behind on the flop -- turned out he had JT also of all things but I was very worried about being outkicked / 22 given the slightly odd multiway preflop action. Felt weak but PLO makes you believe that the nuts are out there often times.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JaySB posted:

We are never folding the 2nd nuts for 16bb. Especially when looking at a pot of 2/3rds our stack.

I thought about it this morning and there may even be a case for shoving pre in some spots with our hand.

Would you still shove in a four way if the flop were monotone? How deep do you need to be vs UTG before it's comfortable to say that a shove is idiotic given the same number behind &c.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

I don't understand check calling here. We've got like 13 M, a good hand that is unlikely to improve with more cards, the only thing I'm thinking about is whether I should muck this hand and wait for the bubble or over-bet.

Why do we want our hand to improve?

Anything that beats us beats us so badly that we'll ~never catch up and there exists not much in that category (softly played AA-QQ from MP, sets but not really JJ, extremely gross two pairs). The board is not coordinated. The only cards we fear are A or K but a lot of those are being held by our two villains.

I see this as time for value mode. There are appx 4 or 5 bad cards in the deck and only two draws at them and we would love to get paid two bets here in every case that one of those ~4.5 don't come out.

MP is likely to barrel. Check to him, let him bet. In fantasy land he leads and button calls and we can push for infinite EV that looks like a squeeze. In reality it goes check/MP bet/button fold/call, check through, lead river and get reluctant call from TT-99 most of the time. We need to shape him wide here and it sucks rear end being oop and trying to get value here because our risks are bad compared to what we'd get ip, but you can't try to play hot on this board, if you play JQ like that you're going to have to be -EV on it -- gently caress me or leave isn't a great way to play middling hits.

If this is a low limit table full of nits and we were on the bubble then you can consider something else but this is our chance to keep M healthy for a while longer. I just think it's not great to play this protectively instead of hopefully.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 15, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
2x is a normal open for a lot of players that would c-bet these days, opening to 3x is old hat in tourneys.

2x is seen as enough to buy the folds you get at 3x, but that means you still need a c-bet bluff percentage to be +EV

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
c/r button all in, get snapped by 35dd, ggggggggggggggg

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

So how do you decide if you're going to try to see the flop? Pair or better? High pair or better? Some other scheme? (Newbie here)

"Can I make money seeing the flop?" is the general answer.

Obviously not a very helpful answer to you right now but it's almost always about the profitability of the overall situation, almost never just the cards.

If I'm in position against what will probably be three other players going into it there are a ton of things I play when I wouldn't out of position against one person who is decent at poker. And it's not as simple as just adding stuff on in some kind of gradient either, there are hands I would definitely play vs one person that I would think very little of in a lot of three or four way pots.

If you're brand new see the flop with any pair or any two picture cards in position for one bet, out of position any pair 88 or better or any ace plus picture or KQ for one bet.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 22, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
With that much multiway action I don't think top set is good by the turn. I didn't add up the bet bets but I'm pretty sure you're required to stay in there to scream PAIR THE BOARD on every street at the guy with the shakes and the hairpiece.

I haven't played LHE for like 15 years though maybe so w/e

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A good dealer is fast, doesn't get confused, and doesn't act/look like Droopy Dog when he's dealing cards. It's also a plus when you don't have to tell them "four cards" every round on the PLO table but I understand every other table in there is doing two card so ok.

Also I'm sorry that I'm a bad tipper. I worked as a bartender before so I understand how lovely it is to have regs that don't tip well or often, but I have rules about when I do and don't tip (pot has to be 50BB+ and I have to currently be up for the session and it's always a dollar -- I realize the "session" demarcation is artificial and it's solely there to cut my tipping roughly in half) and there's probably not a lot you can do to get me to break them.

The dealers in the Venetian universally told me that you make more on a 1/2 table there than you do on a 2/5. This is because so many of the players on the Venetian 2/5 tables were (probably are) regs that they also see tipping as cutting into winrates rather than part of the fun game they play. There is one dealer there that I always tip (actually two, the second one is a friend though) and that's because she's the best poker dealer in the world, easily. Half Dominican woman, fast as lightning, error free, remembers every reg like a database, always upbeat, shakin the old white haired men into action promptly. But she's superhuman in that regard, I don't think I've ever honestly met a dealer that was half as good as her and there are a lot of really good dealers in Vegas (and a few turds).

There's a guy that's a part time room manager at the Flamingo that is very good as well.

One thing that I see a lot of good dealers do that a lot of bad dealers don't is to use a hand to prompt action. Usually this is the deck hand and they put it out in front of players that need to act as a reminder, especially the 1 and 2 seats. It's probably a strain to be doing this all day which is why not everyone does this but it really helps keep the game going if you've got some guy telling Vietnam Vet stories to his biker buddy over there and they're both on about their fourteenth Coors Light.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 5, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I tip the dealer as they sit down at the table and again as they leave. That's it. Unless I win some monstrous 100+BB pot or something. It's not personal but it cuts into my win rate.

Also last time I was at the world series was 2010, and even though it was a recession the cash games were juicy as hell. A winning pro player mentioned to me that he thought it was juicier in 2010 than it was in 2016, which I found puzzling.

Has the juiciness noticeably decreased since 2010?

Tables weren't juicy really at all at WSOP 2015 imo. Players are very bad at deal making though so you can make good money playing those satellite-for-entry type things or their feeders and then selling the tokens to your friends that are actually doing the events (or using them yourself). The edge really isn't in the poker so much as you get to the final two with half their stack and go "hey buddy you're my buddy wanna chop??" and they go "yeah! I wanna chop" and you go lol

I played at Harrah's quite a bit when the WSOP is going on because the hillbillies like Harrah's for some reason and they're terrible at poker. Probably Wynn was also good to pick on rich fools.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I should add that the WSOP is probably a lot better for people who play 5/10 as their reg game. The Vegas 5/10 regs can be pretty tough to make a living against and they're probably relieved to see fresh blood for a while each year.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Asimov posted:

Would you enjoy poker and play it for fun if there was no money involved? It seems to me that most of the appeal of the game is due to gambling, if you removed the money do you think there would still be a professional scene like chess? Bet with fake money or points and try to win the world champion title? Pit your wits against Deep Flop the ultimate computer poker AI opponent?

Poker is the purest form of a pricing game, the most minimal setup you can have and still have interesting decisions about relative valuation between parties. The stock market is another such "game." Without real money at stake poker isn't nearly the same game any more.

At the highest levels it gets abstract and point-like but the whole ramp to those games is predicated on losses actually being losses to you in a material, away from the table sense (and wins actual wins). Poker is a good game on its own but the fact that its real money at play adds a real richness to it that elevates it above every other card game. The key to good strategy isn't to win the hand or the tourney, but to make the most money long term.

To think of the money as some kind of gambling component that's welded onto the game isn't right. Poker is PRIMARILY an expression of money changing hands and all that that entails. The card stuff really is secondary.

Poker is money. The cards are just tiebreakers.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 21, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Imaduck posted:

Yeah, I still struggle with the "why does poker require money to be fun?" question. I can say that empirically, it really does; every "for fun" game I've ever played has just devolved into sillyness where people are shoving every hand out out of boredom. Websites that offer "free poker" have players doing insane things that you'd almost never see at a real table. I hear "higher stakes" play money games - where you have to have earned tons of fake chips to get there - tend to be a little more competitive, but still aren't the same.

I think a big part of the "why" is that at first glance, poker can really look like a game of luck. You can start with the best hand, do everything right, and get destroyed by a bad runout. It's too easy when you're playing for free to just attribute everything to luck. Playing for money - where results matter - makes you stop and think. You start to see players that are consistently winning, and wonder if there's something more to it. You want what the winning players have, and that drives you to figure it out.

What's interesting is that the stakes really matter as well. If you take a player who plays $1000 buy-in games and put them in a $5 buy-in game, most of the time they're not going to take it seriously. They know they can play for much more elsewhere, and once you've lost a $5000 pot, losing a $10 pot seems like child's play. So not only do you need to play for money, you have to play for money that means something to you.

That all being said, this is a trap for new players. If you make a decent amount of money in your daily job, that doesn't mean you should go hop in a $1000 tournament because winning anything less would be nothing to you. Good players see money as a points system. You start with a small amount of points, and build it up until you can play for a big amount of points. Starting at high stakes just means you're going to be incredibly crushed for a long time, and most players won't enjoy that and can't sustain it. You should start at small stakes to learn the game and take that poo poo seriously, even if that money means nothing to you. In best practice, the money shouldn't mean anything to you; it's just how you keep track of how well you're doing.

Work your way up, and you'll do much better in the long run.

I was in Treasure Island playing at their one going table one time and this old failed wizard looking fucker that was in there was complaining about the day Vivek Rajkumar and his friends came in and "ruined the game" by just shoving 500 in every hand. Made me wanna bust him but that game is terrible and I can't take playing in there very much. They offer this thing where if you do I think 40 hours at the table they give you 500 bucks at the end of the week, I forget the details, but it means it just attracts some real bone dry grinders at a 1/2 table. No thanks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JaySB posted:

Haha, that was like 6 years ago at the Wynn, 7 of us joined a 1/3NL table and proceeded to make it 1/3/6/12/24/48 and sometimes 96

Well there's some old fucker still bitching about it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

Any suggestions on places to play for an amateur in Vegas?

I mostly hung out at the 1/2 limit table at Golden Nugget last time, going to give NL a shot this time. I read a David Sklansky book so I'm basically a pro ;)

I liked to play Caesar's on the weekend because the nightclub would draw in drunks sometimes but I think that club is past its prime now so maybe that's no longer true. If the rodeo convention or anything else that draws southerners into town the games at Harrahs can get pretty sloppy. Venetian is the best run room in town even though they cut it in half size wise recently.

Overall there's enough local grinders that if a room gets too good they come and even that out, so pretty much play where you like the room and keep an ear out. Some of the games have worse rake structures but that also means a lot less of the nitty older locals -- not that its hard to make money off of them but they can parch up a table pretty bad.

Subjunctivitis posted:

So sit down and basically only play a 5%-10% range and you get a "free" $500? Which Treasure Island is this?

Edit: Just looked it up - Vegas. Tiered cash-in-hand for every 10 hours of play with brackets end up breaking down to $5/hr up to $9.99/hr.

Maybe it's more out in the open now but that promo used to be something they tried to keep under wraps for obvious reasons -- no one wants to come play at a table where the attraction is you can be a huge loving nit for 60 hours a week and collect a salary for it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

fisting by many posted:

Bahaha. I love live poker.

I would like to add that this man was actually angry and offended at what Vivek had done to him, this wasn't like a good old days story, it was like a "the day the blacks moved in" story

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

Thanks for the tip!

I'll be there late July during Defcon. (Which has discounted rooms in The Flamingo, Linq, and Harrah's that will be pretty popular)

I don't want to get destroyed and there's a strong overlap between people who play poker and people who hack gibsons so I may avoid the strip's poker rooms.

I'm thinking of heading downtown since I had a good time at Golden Nugget.

Oh, also I want to actually gamble on this trip a little, are there any sub--5 dollar craps/blackjack/roulette tables anywhere?

(Also down for slots if they're old timey and literally spew coins)

A lot of those dorks are terrible so play at the Flamingo during that, they make the usual dork errors of thinking they're pot committed when they're obviously crushed and doing bad aggro against old men with white hair who would have been out three streets ago if they didn't have the immortal nuts.

Flamingo also has Vegas's second best dealer, Mike, who may or may not be just running the room at this point

(Best dealer is the half Dominican girl in Venetian but I forgot her name unfortunately)

For tipping if you win a 50BB+ pot give the dealer a dollar and you'll be in the "guy's a little stingy but not a dickhead" zone -- if you're running over table or something and it's like your fifth 3-bet / c-bet take it down in a row then maybe give a dollar too. I tip the dealers sometimes when they go out of their way to keep the game going fast or when they call for rake reduction or something like that that actively makes / saves me money.

I would only really tip more than a dollar if I tripled up or something like that, I'm very bad tipper though, sorry poker dealers I know you deserve better

If you're looking for cheap tables I kinda like Orleans for that. It's not too far off the strip, you don't have to go all the way downtown, and its not so remote that it feels desolate or gross in there. I mean, there are a lot of old people and you can tell you're not on the strip any more but it's a huge place and at least they give half a poo poo. Taught my dad Pai Gow there and they had a five dollar blackjack table with good rules. They probably have three dollar craps outside of peak hours -- you can call them and ask. On the strip I don't think you're going to find less than five dollar craps much any more.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 19, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also depending on how many hours you plan to play you might qualify for the weekend freeroll tournaments -- I forget how many hours it is. Harrahs and Flamingo ran them, maybe some other places like that that have trouble getting a 2/5 table going. They use the same kind of small stack fast structure things the cheaper paid ones do.

They run early in the day (they're catered to the older locals that love them)

I don't know if that's worth the time for you or not, just call the rooms and ask them about it (the numbers are on the Bravo app and sometimes, if they've updated it, I think the promos are listed in the app too)

The Harrahs one had usually 8-10 tables at start, like three or four hours to finish up I think. I don't remember that stuff very well. Oh and almost always the freerolls are actually ten dollar tournaments where you get a double stack if you pay the ten when you sit -- they use that money as an apology to the dealers for making them show up for that poo poo. I think the final table is the same as finishing in the money for those but only the top three get any sort of three digit payout, maybe it's more spread out though. I only played two of them.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 25, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You could drag it out for a while with 150 on a 1/2 table but I always sat with 300. As mentioned people generally open bigger live at 1/2 (like 10 is normal) so even if you're used to playing at the 75BB buyin level it's not going to feel the same. The logic for sitting with a max buyin at 1/2 is usually along the lines of "people make a lot of bad mistakes here, I want to get paid as much as I can for them" but if you're a new player and your logic is more "I hope I play okay and don't embarrass myself" playing shorter can be okay too. And of course you can make a profit shortstacking poker in some (many) situations but it's hard to do that with a 4 or 5 dollar rake and it's a little dry trying when you get like 40 hands an hour in.

I don't think the time you play in tourneys counts towards the freeroll as I never played many tourneys but you can call the poker room and ask them. They're happy to answer questions about this stuff because if they can lock in a tourist for 12 hours that's pretty good win for the room (people tend to play a few hours and then bounce). Flamingo, Harrahs and Caesars are all in walking distance from each other. The last time I was in Vegas I played for a while in Harrahs because some hillbilly convention was in town and they all went to bed or had busted out by midnight and I walked over to Caesars to hopefully catch some people coming out of the nightclub. The level of play is pretty consistent at the 1/2 tables in all three of those places. The only room that I'm aware of that has a rep for generally worse 1/2 players is Planet Hollywood but that's because the rake is higher and the room setup is garbo so more of the locals stay away (locals aren't great players necessarily, especially at 1/2, but they're generally better than tourists if for no other reason than they've got more hours in). 1/2 at Aria or Bellagio is only different in that there's a tiny bit more aggression. It's pretty much the same game at any property on the strip.

If you buyin for 200 I think you can probably play your normal game.

raton fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 26, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JaySB posted:

There's literally a million resources on hand ranges. Sticking to "pairs and suited face cards" is awful.

To be fair you could do worse, but you can do a lot better

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

So what are most people's heuristics for when to go in vs fold?

I've been practicing and notice I have tendency to get bored and try to see the flop with sub par hands like J8s.

Just don't see the flop w/o at least a pair or suited face cards?

Are you talking about in tournaments?

The cards you see the flop with vary hugely depending on the situation. I mean, you have to start with some rudimentary advice somewhere (we all did) but most of the people talking to you here have played poker for years and years and when you ask them "what are your heuristics for when to go in vs. fold?" the immediate reaction is to talk about the what-ifs because they are what matters the most in those decisions.

Here's one of the best players in the world talking about his decisions that went into how he played a now famous hand, it's in a cash game but I'm posting it so you can hear him think about what he was actually thinking about. When I first saw this video I was pretty excited to hear what was going on in his head because the play to me looked insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR6AHzamALs

Here's another well known and very good poker player walking you though his decisions similarly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i97F6I2xrKc

If you're looking for a good place to start with what hands to open with in a tournament the best thing to start thinking about is a thing called M:

https://www.888poker.com/magazine/strategy/m-ratio-poker/

The key to all poker decisions is to think "does this make me money long term." Throwing away a good prospect is as expensive as pitching in money on a losing spot. Its difficult to do this well, that's the essence of poker.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Imaduck posted:

I don't think they wan't to stay small necessarily... but I doubt they're flush with cash to spend on marketing. It's also unclear how effective it would be; it takes a decent amount of commitment by most people's standards to get up and running with cash on ACR. Poker is already a niche market at this point, and I imagine the conversion rate from advertisement to customer is rather low. In addition, it appears Google AdWords is pretty restrictive about what gambling sites they allow, and I doubt ACR would pass their scrutiny.

This is mostly just speculation, of course.

I also don't there's any chance of online poker becoming huge in the US unless it becomes unambiguously legal, player bases are merged across state lines, and it becomes easy to get money in and out of the sites. Even in the states where online gambling is legal in the US, my understanding is that poker isn't doing incredibly well. There's not a ton of competition, and many companies have gone under. PokerStars NJ seems to be doing okay, but nothing like the old days or PokerStarts international.

There was far more action on Bovada than the legal WSOP run site in Nevada.

• Locked thread