Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

im gay posted:

Does JCarver still post? I remember final tabling his Little Angels freeroll.

No, but he streams often on Twitch. I asked him a while back if he still came here, but he said he hadn't read the forums in years, ever since PITR got shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

How hard or easy is it to make a living via poker, if you just want to make enough to live normally? I mean, where you just want to make the equivalent of $100 to $200 a day, not try and be a millionaire several times over. Do people do that, just play enough to make a basic wage?

Plenty of people do. There are lots of low and midstakes online grinders that play hundreds of thousands of hands a month and make a decent profit.

However, you really need a certain kind of mindset to do this. You need to constantly study your game, you need to be able to weather the swings inherent in the game. There will be days, weeks, even months where you play your A game, and still lose money. If you go to forums like 2+2 you can see graphs where even top-tier players have had truly disgusting downswings. I briefly thought about trying to play as a pro while I was at Uni, but soon decided that a) I was nowhere good enough, and b) it's just not that fulfilling and enjoyable. Sitting around with your friends and a few beers playing for $20 or something - that is awesome fun. Grinding away online for 8 or more hours a day - very quickly becomes draining and soul-destroying.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, but so are 90% of the jobs out there.

At least with those jobs, you get a guaranteed paycheck at the end of the month. That isn't necessarily true with poker, and even if you're a proven winning player it can be incredibly demoralising to have a losing month even when you feel that you're making good decisions. If you have the mental fortitude and the bankroll to weather the swings and not let them affect your game, then by all means, give it a try.

Just bear in mind that it's going to be a massive gap on your resume if you ever want to get out of the game (and you probably will at some point, nearly everybody does)

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 7, 2016

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Who's Shenanigans?

Chris Ferguson and Howard Lederer.

They were both major shareholders/part owners of Full Tilt, and basically siphoned off millions of dollars of players' funds.

• Locked thread